Onkyo TX-NR 686 owners thread.

I've been thinking of picking up a TX-NR686 for some time. I just noticed Best Buy has them for $250 now, as part of their Black Friday sale. I have no idea when the sale ends, but if anyone was considering getting one of these, that seems like a pretty decent deal.

it's a steal a that price, superb receiver

Hi All! I am close to pulling the trigger on this unit, based mainly on it's decent price point and it's Zone 2 capabilities. Or at least what I thought were it's capabilities. I keep coming across contradictory info regarding the Zone 2 functions. (some saying only analog, non-HDMI sources) are available.

What I want to have is my sources connected to the amp and 5.1 speakers positioned around my TV (assume on front wall), but also have a pair of stereo speakers, along the parallel (right-hand) wall which will be for when the projector is in use. The second HDMI will feed this projector any of the sources and the appropriate audio for any of those sources should come out of Zone 2 speakers only.
If the Onkyo can't do it, is there any similar price-pointed receiver that can. Cheers

I'm testing with The Revenant in TrueHD 7.1 and to me it seems to extend some sounds from the front to the side speakers. No back speakers effect at all.
Hi All! I am close to pulling the trigger on this unit, based mainly on it's decent price point and it's Zone 2 capabilities. Or at least what I thought were it's capabilities. I keep coming across contradictory info regarding the Zone 2 functions. (some saying only analog, non-HDMI sources) are available.

What I want to have is my sources connected to the amp and 5.1 speakers positioned around my TV (assume on front wall), but also have a pair of stereo speakers, along the parallel (right-hand) wall which will be for when the projector is in use. The second HDMI will feed this projector any of the sources and the appropriate audio for any of those sources should come out of Zone 2 speakers only.
If the Onkyo can't do it, is there any similar price-pointed receiver that can. Cheers

From the receiver's manual:

To output audio from an externally connected AV component to ZONE 2, use either a digital coaxial cable, digital optical cable or analog audio cable for connection. Also, the audio from externally connected AV components can beoutput to ZONE 2 only when the audio is analog or 2ch PCM signal. Whenthe AV component is connected to this unit with a digital coaxial cable or digital optical cable, change the audio output of the AV component to the PCM output.

Hi all I was looking at the tx sr 393 initially because it supports object based sound technology like DTS x and DTS virtual X too then saw that this ( nr 686) is well rated by owners and it also offers the DTS object based sound tech too. Have any of you updated the firmware to get the DTS virtual X support and what are your thoughts on it? I havent got blue ray sources ( yet) so will be using it for streaming aps and playing mkv's from my nas. my front speakers are large but efficient and easy to drive. Im not sure if the 686 is overkill as I would initially just be using them it in my bedroom but will be looking at migrating it to a large open plan lounge at some point. would appreciateyour thoughts
cheers

Hello all,

I am new to these forums, but had a question that I hoped someone with more knowledge could possibly answer. I have searched for the answer to my question, but if i missed it, I apologize.

When I turn on my system the Onkyo always goes to the TV input first and stays there until I manually change it to the correct input. For example, if I select blu ray on the Harmony remote everything will set up correctly, for about 10 seconds, then the Onkyo reverts to TV input. It does this for any input I select. I can then manually change the input to the correct one and everything works fine.

I just know my wife, kids, my parents, will not know how to do the manual input, so any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

I am new to these forums, but had a question that I hoped someone with more knowledge could possibly answer. I have searched for the answer to my question, but if i missed it, I apologize.

When I turn on my system the Onkyo always goes to the TV input first and stays there until I manually change it to the correct input. For example, if I select blu ray on the Harmony remote everything will set up correctly, for about 10 seconds, then the Onkyo reverts to TV input. It does this for any input I select. I can then manually change the input to the correct one and everything works fine.

I just know my wife, kids, my parents, will not know how to do the manual input, so any help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Go into the hardware - HDMI - HDMI CEC and make sure this is off. That should fix it

No problem - we're a friendly lot here... Most of us anyway :D
Let us know if it works then others with the same issue will find the answerb:thumbsup:

Note that if you were reliant upon HDMI ARC for acessing audio sourced via your TV then dissabling HDMI CEC (Control) will result in ARC no longer functioning. HDMI ARC is reliant upon HDMI CEC for functionality and cannot be used if you've disengaged it.

I am looking at buying a 686 tomorrow (£325 at Richer Sounds) just now, anything I need to be aware of?
Thanks.

Just make sure you update the firmware. There was an update in April that isn't covered in the manual regarding regarding standard and enhanced UHD.

Could someone check something for me.
As far as I am aware this avr is with Google Assistant. Does this mean that it can act as a smartspeaker? Can I say hey Google play radio X and it would play it through TuneIn like on smartspeaker?

Mine arrived today, will set it up later on.
It was from Richer Sounds and there was a text late morning and was delivered within the time slot.

I ended up buying the pioneer VSX 934 which is similarly specked in the end due to reading about owners having issues with the Onkyo's. I hope ive made the right choice ???

I ended up buying the pioneer VSX 934 which is similarly specked in the end due to reading about owners having issues with the Onkyo's. I hope ive made the right choice ???
They're both made on the same conveyor belt so time will tell. The 686 is a higher specced unit so you would have gotten more for your money. The main problems with Onkyo - the failing HDMI boards - was ironed out a few years ago but their legacy was damagec beyond repair. I still love them though

thanks Nobbler, yea I knew they did a recall for the HDMI ports on some models but whilst researching there were quite a few owners who had multiple amp failures and error codes which required them to reset their amps, that's what put me off and whilst I know Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer are all part of the same group now I was hoping that thier manufacturing plants and processes might be different like that of the cars made by the WAG group. The specs looked pretty much the same with the Onkyo having more power if I recall correctly? It hasn't ben delivered yet and im wondering if i should cancel the order and go for the Onkyo now :(, bugger, indecision

thanks Nobbler, yea I knew they did a recall for the HDMI ports on some models but whilst researching there were quite a few owners who had multiple amp failures and error codes which required them to reset their amps, that's what put me off and whilst I know Onkyo, Denon and Pioneer are all part of the same group now I was hoping that thier manufacturing plants and processes might be different like that of the cars made by the WAG group. The specs looked pretty much the same with the Onkyo having more power if I recall correctly? It hasn't ben delivered yet and im wondering if i should cancel the order and go for the Onkyo now :(, bugger, indecision
The Onkyo/Denon merger didn't go through as Onkyo/Pioneer pulled out.
They are very similar... Just look at the remotes on the Onkyo 696 and the Pioneer. Identical.
I think you need to look at what you get for the money. The 686 was originally a £650 receiver whilst the 934 is sub 400.
Someone will come along in a minute and say avoid the Onkyo because of the AccuEq system and the heatbit gives of. Granted the eq system isn't great but it does a good job of setting levels and distances. The MCACC system on the 934 may be better and the Onkyo does not get hot at all.
If you want something reliable then I may suggest a Yamaha but for £329 the 686 is a real Brucie bargain!

thanks yes the 686 comes in at a very good price point I managed to get the pioneer at 349 inc delivery. I had also read about the heat issues and how the pioneers ran cold which is another factor which made me go the pioneer route. shame you wernt on the thread which I had asked about the two before buying because now I am seriously considering cancelling the Pioneer order and going for the Onkyo.

I will be putting an inaudible fan on top of my 686 at low voltage.

which Yamaha receiver are you suggestion plus I was looking for something which supported DTS virtual x. I know they support DTS X but the DTS virtual x technology is quite interesting and appealing as it can apparently produce an atmos like sound stage without ceiling speakers with speaker configs of 2.0 3.1 etc

Sorry i picked you up wrong, i meant you would'nt need 4 atmos speakers in your room size. But you could definitely have 2. So a 5.2.1/2 setup would be a nice upgrade.

Brian
Hi,
Well in the end i took the RZ840 and it's a beast, prepping to go bezerk with atmos .4 😅
I've actually read that dolby does also suggest to go with minimum .4 for atmos.
I've also ordered a klipsh spl-100 sub to come into the mix.
Thanks again

How are you finding the 934? I’m looking at getting it tomorrow as I can get it for £295. Was also looking at the onkyo 696 2nd hand for £300.. hate makin decisions. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom