Onkyo TX-NR646 Owners Thread

probably covered a few times before, loss of audio. Randomly happened. I'm hoping it's a warranty fix? Amp is just over 2 years old from RS

probably covered a few times before, loss of audio. Randomly happened. I'm hoping it's a warranty fix? Amp is just over 2 years old from RS

just search for my receipt. result! I purchased their 6 year cover

Does anyone have one of these receivers working with Google Home?

I’ve just got a google home device, and I can’t find definitive info on whether it’s compatible or not.
So far I’ve been unable to link them up.
I have read that Onkyo did a firmware update some time ago that brought compatibility to a lot of their receivers, but not sure exactly which ones.

I've set something wrong here... and I don't know what I did.

In brief, I store music, films, etc on a Synology NAS. Content is played back via a PCH-A300 "popcornhour box" which connects to the amp via HDMI, amp to TV via HDMI. I also use the PCH's YouTube app to watch YouTube

So last week a lot of YouTube stuff had no audio; "info" shows the audio as being AAC... now both the PCH and the Onkyo support AAC. That's one problem, and I can live with it.

Whats worse, is when pressing various buttons on the Onkyo remote, I've lost the centre speaker; it's 'there', but the audio volume is so low in DTS/DD modes it might as well not be. Yet if I switch to all-channel stereo or mono, it works fine. Help - what have I done?. More importantly, how do I undo it/restore centre audio??! :(

Strange one that! Have you tried performing a firmware reset for the amp and/or upgrading the amp to the latest firmware?

No, and yes - its got the latest firmware.

Bloody technology... it doesn't mix well with old-age!

have you tried another device such as a DVD or Blu-Ray player that outputs a DTS/DD signal to the amp? This may identify whether the problem is localised to the popcorn player incorrectly sending the DTS/DD signal or the amp not decoding the signal correctly.

Hey all,

I’m seeing a “resolution error” displayed on my receiver when I enable Ultra HD Deep Color on my TV and attempt playback through a Chromecast Ultra. Here’s the setup: Chromecast Ultra plugged into an Onkyo NR646 receiver, which is connected to an LG 65UM7300PUA 4K TV via HDMI.

I can cast just fine and get audio and video. But if I turn on the Ultra HD Deep Color option, the display disappears and I see “resolution error” on the receiver. The TV will regularly demand that this option be turned on – a message will come up saying that Deep Color is being enabled, and your only option is “OK”, there is no “No, don’t do that” option. Once turned on, the display goes away and I have to go disable that option in settings.

Note that if this Deep Color option is on, I can see content from a Blu-Ray player and XBox that are both connected through the Onkyo receiver. The Chromecast is the only device that has problems with this.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Thanks!

Is anyone using this amp with a LG B7 OLED TV and having lip sync issues ?

I am. When I connect AppleTv directly to the Tv (with the advantage of seeing Dolby Vision) and use the ARC of the TV to send the audio to the Onkyo amp, I am getting terrible lip sync issues. Also, no matter how much audio delay correction on the amp I try to use it doesn’t seem to help.

The lip sync issue is so bad it’s impossible to enjoy watching a movie.
So I end up having to sacrifice Dolby Vision , connect the Apple TV directly to the amp, then there is no lip sync issue, but I lose Dolby Vision.

I have updated the firmware on the amp as well as tv but this has not helped either.

Has anyone experienced this Dolby Vision/ARC lip sync issue and hopefully found a fix ?

Is anyone using this amp with a LG B7 OLED TV and having lip sync issues ?

I am. When I connect AppleTv directly to the Tv (with the advantage of seeing Dolby Vision) and use the ARC of the TV to send the audio to the Onkyo amp, I am getting terrible lip sync issues. Also, no matter how much audio delay correction on the amp I try to use it doesn’t seem to help.

The lip sync issue is so bad it’s impossible to enjoy watching a movie.
So I end up having to sacrifice Dolby Vision , connect the Apple TV directly to the amp, then there is no lip sync issue, but I lose Dolby Vision.

I have updated the firmware on the amp as well as tv but this has not helped either.

Has anyone experienced this Dolby Vision/ARC lip sync issue and hopefully found a fix ?
I have an E7 (so basically the same) and I'm not encountering any such problems?! But then I don't believe I'm using Dolby Vision anywhere, although I am using HDR etc.

My media is typically played on the TV via Plex (on the TV) and pushing audio out to the amp.

I have an E7 (so basically the same) and I'm not encountering any such problems?! But then I don't believe I'm using Dolby Vision anywhere, although I am using HDR etc.

My media is typically played on the TV via Plex (on the TV) and pushing audio out to the amp.

Hi NeilF ,

Thank you very much for your post.

Ok so it sounds like you are using the TV’s Audio Return Channel to the amp and watching HDR material (albeit without Dolby Vision) - without any issues.

So it may be my lip sync issue is peculiar to use of Dolby Vision, in the context of my setup, ie. ARC, LG (_)7 OLED TV, Onkyo TX-Nr646 combination.

I think this is also somewhat supported by the observation that if I eliminate Dolby Vision from my “chain” the lip sync issue seems to disappear.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else with the identical setup as me has experienced the same issue.

Hopefully someone with the identical setup setup as me will chime in. If they don’t have a lip sync issue then that would be of great interest to me ! I kind of suspect they may not , as someone would have posted about it by now , although maybe not.

Thank you again Neil.

Hi NeilF ,

Thank you very much for your post.

Ok so it sounds like you are using the TV’s Audio Return Channel to the amp and watching HDR material (albeit without Dolby Vision) - without any issues.

So it may be my lip sync issue is peculiar to use of Dolby Vision, in the context of my setup, ie. ARC, LG (_)7 OLED TV, Onkyo TX-Nr646 combination.

I think this is also somewhat supported by the observation that if I eliminate Dolby Vision from my “chain” the lip sync issue seems to disappear.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else with the identical setup as me has experienced the same issue.

Hopefully someone with the identical setup setup as me will chime in. If they don’t have a lip sync issue then that would be of great interest to me ! I kind of suspect they may not , as someone would have posted about it by now , although maybe not.

Thank you again Neil.
So if you play other formats of media in from the Apple TV (other than Dolby Vision), all is OK?

Out of interest to try and deduce if its the TV or Apple TV causing the issue, is there any other way to get Dolby Vision media onto the TV, other than your Apple TV? ie: Via a bluray player, or what's the Dolby related app/channel available on these TV? Can that play Dolby Vision media on the TV?

So if you play other formats of media in from the Apple TV (other than Dolby Vision), all is OK?

Out of interest to try and deduce if its the TV or Apple TV causing the issue, is there any other way to get Dolby Vision media onto the TV, other than your Apple TV? ie: Via a bluray player, or what's the Dolby related app/channel available on these TV? Can that play Dolby Vision media on the TV?

Some excellent questions Neil. Thank you once again. To address the questions you kindly posed:

“So if you play other formats of media in from the Apple TV (other than Dolby Vision), all is OK?”

- I think so but I will need to confirm this.

“is there any other way to get Dolby Vision media onto the TV, other than your Apple TV?”

- yes , I have an Onkyo UHD player, with one or 2 discs that support DV and/or DA. Also unless I’m mistaken , the LG TV’s Netflix I believe has a little content that is DV and/or DA , but I assume not full fat. From my recollection , I think LG Netflix had some lipsyn issue via ARC and UHD Blu Ray too by ARC but I would need to confirm again.

My main viewing is Apple TV so that has seemed to be complicit but I think it may be a more widespread issue.

Actually come to think of it , I’m not entirely sure now if the issue may be Dolby Vision related , or Dolby Atmos related, or both.

I will look into all the above again and post back. In the meantime I will continue to receive notifications from this thread and be grateful for any further help. Thanks again.

I had a chance to look into this again today.

The issue was specific to the Apple TV/LG TV , as the same audio sync problem did not occur under similar conditions with my Onkyo UHD Blu ray player , playing Justice League UHD which is Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos.

So the problem is, I was having an audio sync issue when using Apple TV , Dolby Vision , Dolby Atmos, LG B7 OLED TV with ARC the Onkyo amp. The material was eg. the iTunes’ Ready Player One movie which is Dolby Vision/Atmos.

To try to remedy it , I made an audio sync adjustment setting on the Onkyo amp.

The adjustment I made was minus (-) 20 milliseconds (after trying +20/30ms).

I believe I have successfully compensated for the audio sync issue by using minus (-) 20 milliseconds.

For listening to music , I think “stereo” mode is best now , rather than pure audio or direct , as it is 2.1 , bringing in the subwoofer, so there is more bass rhythm.

Also I have found its best to do let a quality DAC device with RCA analogue output do the decoding, rather than the Onkyo. I have an Oppo UHD player connected to the CD input on the Onkyo.
It sounds better than via the BD/DVD HDMI input, more nuanced music.

So basically , I select the CD input , then use the Stereo audio mode. It’s the best sounding way of listening to music I have found.

Also the Oppo has a HDMI in. So I can connect my Apple TV directy to the Oppo and stream music , while the Oppo’s DAC does the decoding of iTunes tracks. It sounds very close to CD quality.

Hey all,'

Question about troubleshooting ARC and input switching. When we switch on our TV (LG smart TV) the receiver will sometimes figure out that the input is coming via the TV, but often will stay on the input last used (generally the XBox). Moving from one app to another on the TV (going from Netflix to YouTube TV, for example), will sometimes "fix" this and get the proper input selected. But this doesn't always work and it often has to be done multiple times. We have a Harmony hub remote that allegedly is setting the Onkyo input to "TV," but this is either not working or is trampled by some ARC activity that is going on.

Any tips for troubleshooting this sort of thing? Or maybe my life would be simpler by disabling ARC and just manually selecting inputs like the old days?

Thanks.

- Jeff

Any tips for troubleshooting this sort of thing? Or maybe my life would be simpler by disabling ARC and just manually selecting inputs like the old days?
That about sums it up. I gave up long ago. Now I sit there with a plethora of remotes.

That about sums it up. I gave up long ago. Now I sit there with a plethora of remotes.
Yeah. After some brief tweaking and testing this seems the best approach (and I may be mangling the ARC and CEC terms...sorry. Just flailing away here :) ) Thanks for the feedback though!

- Jeff

The ARC can be a double edged sword unfortunately.

The 646 doesn’t support Dolby Vision so using ARC is a good way to help “bypass“ the lack of support , which is why I don’t want to do away with it entirely.

But agree getting it to come on can be tricky.

Also , sometimes ARC “comes on” inappropriately eg when I am using the BD/DVD input , in the course of watching a DVD , it suddenly switches to ARC (TV) with the audio cutting out entirely.

I still rate the 646 though on audio quality, for the price it punches well above its weight IMHO.

I use the “pure audio” setting for movies. I picked up Gladiator on iTunes for £2.99 at the weeknd , the score sounds best on Pure audio, it’s gets the most nuanced sound. My speakers are Klipsch.

Onkyo TX-NR646 disconnecting AirPlay.
Hi, can anyone help with this? It used to work fine but lately when I'm using AirPlay on my Onkyo TX-NR646, it disconnects after a while. The only way to get it working again, is unplugging my Onkyo TX-NR646 and restarting from the beginning.
Br,
George

Sorry you are having problems. I have often had trouble with AirPlay on the Onkyo but assumed it was due to me using a wifi extender for the iPhone and Ethernet for the Onkyo . I’ve been meaning to listen to Killing me softy by the Fugees on the Onkyo which I bought on iTunes a few days ago... and Blinding lights by the Weeknd.

incidentally, counterintuitively I Have felt in the past that bluetooth sounded better than Airplay on the Onkyo... edit , I still found this today.

But sounds best for me using Apple TV streaming directly from iTunes in the cloud, slightly better optical rather than hdmi. I didn’t try airplay to the Apple TV , I won’t bother with AirPlay again. Pure Audio music setting rather than “All Channel stereo” on the Onkyo

Last edited:
Which version of Airplay you're using?

Apple have ugraded Airplay to Airplay2. Perhaps you need to upgrade the firmware for the Onkyo amp, though I suspect Onkyo haven't released a firmware update for Airplay2.

Morning / evening everyone,

Have a quick and silly question but a short backstory: I moved from Sydney to London two years ago, bringing my 646 and a couple of old Focal SIBs across, bought a LG OLED55B7V 55". I haven't upgraded anything since as I didn't know if the professional move would take. But it did and now with the whole stay at home situation it's time to upgrade.

So I've been exploring sub woofers as a first step. I'm in a classic London flat. Pretty small room (5m x 5m) high ceilings, wooden floors, can hear the upstairs neighbours breathe etc.

Would love some advice on a sub woofer and general set-up if anyone has some time and tips? Budget medium to high.

Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom