Answered Onkyo TX-NR686 no sound Zone 2

I had experienced similar problem with Zone 2 source limitations on an older Onkyo HT-RC560. I liked the unit otherwise, but I also wanted more network control and streaming capabilities. So I just bought a new TX-NR696 thinking that this limitation had been lifted. Like OP KeithXP, I read the manual first and it seemed that it had the Zone 2 capability I was looking for. But I'm having mostly the same kinds of issues -- my unit supports network sources but refuses to send them to Zone 2. I can send FM, and I can send TV audio (connected from TV to receiver via optical).
Like other posters, I'm beyond annoyed and I really don't get it -- I have 40 and 50 year old receivers with A-B speaker selectors that do essentially what I want. If the receiver has a power amp for Zone 2 speakers then I don't see why they can't at least direct the same input to it that goes to the main room L-R outputs.
I'll keep working on it, I like the loopback ideas.

Here’s a new issue I can’t seem to find answer to.
I have Zone 2 setup correctly On 686.
-I’m streaming music to it from Apple Music on IPhone using Onkyo Controller.
Dude, I'm envious that you can get network streamed music to appear on Zone 2. I still haven't gotten that to work. But you've given me hope ...

Dude, I'm envious that you can get network streamed music to appear on Zone 2. I still haven't gotten that to work. But you've given me hope ...
I have the Onkyo TX NR-747. I had everything set up and running perfectly. We have Klipsch speakers inside (Zone 1) and a set of Yamaha speakers outside (Zone 2) on our deck. All applications worked. Internet radio, Bluetooth, Pandora. I use the Onkyo Remote 3 app to control everything. Again, absolutely no issues and it does everything I want to. However, a month ago we upgraded our Internet. Higher speeds, etc. I had to reconfigure the receiver to the new Wi-Fi, and now our zone two speakers won’t work correctly. I can only get TV channels to come through zone two. I can’t get any Internet radio such as Pandora or SiriusXM. Any thoughts by anyone?

Thanks to all on this thread. I actually just found the root of the problem. It's a tiny disclaimer on Onkyo's spec sheet that says zone 2 cannot be powered by sources via HDMI. And since my AppleTV is my only source (and must be HDMI), I can never play the same source in zone 2 as the main room. I even have a second receiver running zone 2 speakers via the zone 2 out. The only thing I can do is listen to bluetooth in zone 2 (or presumedly any source thats analog / isn't HDMI). What a load of crap by Onkyo. My 10 year old Pioneer had this basic function.
Agreed it is a load of crap.
Part-exchanged my Onkyo NR686 for a Denon

I have a related problem with this receiver that maybe someone can help me with.

Since the latest software update, zone 2 is only playing through ONE speaker. I have my zone 2 going to a Elan A6 powered amplifier which powers 3 additional sets of speakers. All three sets are only playing out of one speaker.

This is regardless of source and all cables are secure and have even been replaced. Is there a setting on the receiver I should check? Any help is appreciated! At a loss here.

I have an TX-NR575 and bought this box
Amazon product ASIN B00YHS5E6Q

J-Tech Digital HDMI 1.4 Audio Extractor De-Embedder 4K@30Hz Optical SPDIF Toslink RCA [JTD4KATSW]​

I have an HDMI cable going between my tv and my receiver. This receiver only has one HDMI out.

I want to get audio from the TV (spotify, netflix) to push to zone 2 but placing this box in the middle of the receiver and tv. I've tried to connect optical and rca and can't even get audio to zone 1. Any ideas?

Have a solution. Just set it up and it worked. Get a HDMI splitter. Plug into back of the Apple TV. Plug the TV in one slot and a HDMI to AUX in the other. Then plug the AUX into the front.
Run your Streaming TV and music through your regular way. Get Zone 2 audio by setting it to Aux. I have my second set of speakers outdoors and had been trying to figure out how to get the same audio onto them simultaneously with the main input.
Stupid to have to do it this way, but it works and is cheap.

OK, I'm a bit of an AV novice. Hubs bought an Onyoko TX-NR696 because of it's Bluetooth and WIFI capabilities, plus zone 2. He bought a Pyle PSPVC6 Speaker Selector so we could split "zone 2" into to areas, the porch and the patio. So we get sound on BOTH the porch and the patio using the "tuner" function on the Onyoko receiver. However, if I try to stream Spotify or any other audio source that is playing on the main receiver via "zone 2" it doesn't work. We currently have the speaker wires connected to the Pyle from the receiver on the "far right" from the two Zone 2 R and L + & - outputs. I realize that there's the one analog R & L output Zone 2 on the left hand side (looking at the back), but the Pyle has more inputs, if that makes sense. It sounds like people don't have any luck with that either? Why is this not plug and play?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

sfrohman

Your post solved my zone 2 problem:) A couple of points that helped my setup. First, I bought this HDMI splitter:

Amazon product ASIN B074HHSJVN
and this HDMI 2.0b cable:

Amazon product ASIN B08PZ338RK
Be sure to set the splitter to 2ch and if your Onkyo changes as described by sfrohman are correct, you should see red light on your optical cable output (the side the plugs into TV optical input.

One other change, the Hardware->HDMI->AudioTVOut was "auto" and greyed out. I couldn't change Your setup will NOT work on auto. If greyed out, change the HDMI CEC setting above to 'off' and then you will be able to change AudioTVOut to “On”.

I've tested with my Xfinity cable box that only outputs HD audio and streaming apps via FireTV. All zone 2 audio works!

So, I have the 696 as well with Zone 2 being a big pain. This is my first surround sound system and I love it! My zone 2 just has two speakers on the lanai. I only wanted to be able to play music from the receiver or the TV. I can get the stereo to come out of the speakers but not the TV sound. I only run a fire stick. I hooked up the audio cables but that didn't work. Everything else is hooked up with HDMI cables. What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to buy that spitter or a optical cable? Thanks for the help!

You will only be able to play HDMI sourced audio with a splitter. Good news, is for a $30 splitter, an optical cable and and HDMI 2.0b cable, you can get audio from HDMI sources without buying a new receiver.

I just bought a used 686, and like others I assumed it could easily handle mirroring to Zone 2 what is being played on Zone 1, independent of the source (my old Yamaha had a Party Mode option for that). While I have no issues playing Net sources (Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn) on Zone 2, sometimes I want to play musinc from my Fire TV, especially since that is easier for the kids. Playing around a bit I noticed that when I have both ARC enabled and an optical cable connected from the TV to the reciver, I could rout the signal from the optical cable to Zone 2 and it would play back music from the Fire TV that is connected to the receiver. So the TV acts as an audio splitter. This only works for 2.0 sources, 5.1 would still not play back (I might be able to limit TV output to 2.0, but I don't want to do that, and I am really only interested in playing music on Zone 2, which is the patio). Just wanted to leave this her in case it works for others too and you can avoid adding an additional splitter.

Greetings, I stumbled across this while looking for info on my TX-NR6100. I had the TX-NR696 before this and I have a TX-NR6050 in another location and I did not experience any issues with either zone 2 nor zone B on any of these AVRs. If the 686 is similar to the 696 which I believe it is, it should work if you have your settings configured properly. The settings are very specific in how things have to be but if you can follow instructions to the T they work in either SD or HD from any source.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom