ONKYO TX-NR818, finally died.

talen2003

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought my ONKYO about three years ago as an open box clearance from a well known chain store with a massive discount. It was repaired by ONKYO under warranty for the much publicised no sound issue, which recurred about six months ago. As it was now out of warranty they were not interested in further repair or replacement despite a protracted complaint.

I had the HDMI board professionally reflowed which worked, for about six to eight weeks after which it started to to fail again, intermittantly at first but has now failed totally. No sound or speaker matrix display.

I've decided to cut my losses and put it down to experience. I will take it to the range next weekend and use it as target practice but in the meantime I need a replacement and would be interested in any reccomendations.

I've always had Yamaha before and loved them dearly. When pro-logic came out I had the DSPA 2070 replaced by a DSP-A1 when we went digital. I still use the A1 as a stereo amp in the summer house but bought the ONKYO due to the need for HDMI inputs/outputs.

I am looking for 7.x channel or higher and minimum 5 hdmi inputs. Alexa or voice control would be good, DAB would be nice but not essential. Good sound quality is essential.

Speakers are B&W CDM9 NT's on the mains and KEF HTS on the centre and effects channels.

Happy to hear any suggestions.

Last edited:
I bought my ONKYO about three years ago as an open box clearance from a well known chain store with a massive discount. It was repaired by ONKYO under warranty for the much publicised no sound issue, which recurred about six months ago. As it was now out of warranty they were not interested in further repair or replacement despite a protracted complaint.

I had the HDMI board professionally reflowed which worked, for about six to eight weeks after which it started to to fail again, intermittantly at first but has now failed totally. No sound or speaker matrix display.

I've decided to cut my losses and put it down to experience. I will take it to the range next weekend and use it as target practice but in the meantime I need a replacement and would be interested in any reccomendations.

I've always had Yamaha before and loved them dearly. When pro-logic came out I had the DSPA 2070 replaced by a DSP-A1 when we went digital. I still use the A1 as a stereo amp in the summer house but bought the ONKYO due to the need for HDMI inputs/outputs.

I am looking for 7.x channel or higher and minimum 5 hdmi inputs. Alexa or voice control would be good, DAB would be nice but not essential. Good sound quality is essential.

Speakers are B&W CDM7 NT's on the mains and KEF HTS on the centre and effects channels.

If your still wanting to use a stero amp I'd have a look at a denon x3500.

Have a look at the Sony strdn1080 won loads of awards and fantastic for music

Speakers are B&W CDM7 NT's on the mains and KEF HTS on the centre and effects channels.

Hi. I got something burned in my onkyo. If you want to throw your own away, maybe you will consider to give it to me so I can try to resurrect mine?

OK, So I finally took the plunge and made an offer on a used Yamaha RX-A3040 being sold by Peter Tyson. I thought it was a bit cheeky as it was quite a bit lower than their buy it now price but maybe they get generous on a Friday afternoon as they accepted, and it's winging it's way to me.

I also found a B&W CM Centre Speaker in unmarked piano black in the pawn shop in town today whilst looking at what they had, mine for a more than reasonable £20, with three months warranty.

The ONKYO will head to ebay as spares or repair, start at £1 and see where it gets. Whilst I'm at it the stack of unused HiFi from the spare bedroom is going the same way, including the 2070, DSP A1, Nakamichi Cassette Deck. Time for a good old clear out.

Plus I need to raise funds for six new surround / effects speakers.

OK, So I finally took the plunge and made an offer on a used Yamaha RX-A3040 being sold by Peter Tyson. I thought it was a bit cheeky as it was quite a bit lower than their buy it now price but maybe they get generous on a Friday afternoon as they accepted, and it's winging it's way to me.

I also found a B&W CM Centre Speaker in unmarked piano black in the pawn shop in town today whilst looking at what they had, mine for a more than reasonable £20, with three months warranty.

The ONKYO will head to ebay as spares or repair, start at £1 and see where it gets. Whilst I'm at it the stack of unused HiFi from the spare bedroom is going the same way, including the 2070, DSP A1, Nakamichi Cassette Deck. Time for a good old clear out.

Plus I need to raise funds for six new surround / effects speakers.
Could you post a link on eBay page when it's ready?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom