Onkyo TX-RZ840,

in2flying

Standard Member
Reaction score
Complete newbie here and I feel like the black sheep taking a chance on the Onkyo RZ840, but for less then $800 I'm excited!
It's powering all Klipsch Reference speakers: Center channel (R34C) Fronts (R5502) , and 4 (5650 CII ) ceiling speakers along with a REL sub. TV is Samsung Q90 82
Any one have any experience with this receiver? This is my first crack at putting something together and it's all about to go down in a few days.

Question, can anyone give me any tips on setup, or anything that would help? I'm looking at reasonably priced Blue Ray players now, as it would be a shame not to utilize the IMAX capability of the receiver. Thank you for taking the time to write and not slam a new guy.

Cheers,

Hey, congrats !
I just got the little beast too and i think it's amazing.
Setup is easy and simple. I would recommend to calibrate on at least 3 of the 9 spots available.
The only thing that's bothering me a bit is that on older models when you had a dd+, dts or true hd track, it would show during playback on the screen. On this model you have to pish the'i' information button' on the remote to check in what mode it is playing back.
Otherwise i did't get any problems, 4k hdr10 is going strong and nice coupled with nvidia shield.
Just ordered klipsh spl-100 sub cuz i had not till now

So I did the calibration and after doing it , it totally knocked by sub out, meaning no sound would come from the sub. I had to do a reset and now I'm wondering if I should do the calibration without the sub plugged in? I'm such a newbie I didnt even know about the info button but will do now. My sub is a REL and I love it.

So I did the calibration and after doing it , it totally knocked by sub out, meaning no sound would come from the sub. I had to do a reset and now I'm wondering if I should do the calibration without the sub plugged in? I'm such a newbie I didnt even know about the info button but will do now. My sub is a REL and I love it.
Sure ! REL is the real thing.
I've heard similar things about the sub, where it's better to manually set the levels

Try the gain on the sub set to around 10 o'clock, crossover to maximum, phase to 0 (zero). With calibration you should be looking at a reading of between -12dB and +12dB, the closer to 0dB the better but a negative reading is always better. You should not calibrate with the sub unplugged. After calibration set all your speakers to small and if possible set the crossover of the speakers to 80hz. Do not drop the crossover to any lower than that determined by the calibration.

Hi Gibsy

My issue is a known problem with the calibration and this new unit. I'll try to find it online. I did calibrate with the sub on and the calibration itself disabled the sub from working hence the reset. I'll try and find the article or thing i read. thank you!

That's disappointing if it's the case and I'd certainly not want you want with a new receiver. AccuEQ doesn't have a good reputation and Onkyo's calibration seems to have suffered greatly since it ditched Audyssey.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom