Onkyo TX-SR506/Humax FVP-5000T/Samsung BD-F8500M Blu-ray/Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500

webntweb1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to connect up the following:
Onkyo TX-SR506 AV receiver, Humax FVP-5000T, Samsung BD-F8500M Blu-ray, Sony Bravia KDL-40W5500.

The Onkyo is quite old - I bought it as an end-of-line about 6 years ago to replace my 25 year old Marantz AV Receiver, but it has only ever been used for a few hours once or twice a week and only for music connected to a Brennan JB7.

I have assigned HDMI 1 (IN) on the ONKYO to the CBL/Sat button and connected the Humax to that.
I have connected ONKYO HDMI (OUT) to the TV. As neither Item have ARC i have assigned Optical 1 as an audio input to CBL/Sat and taken an Optical cable from there to the TV.

This work fine with surround sound when watching through the Humax.

I have assigned HDMI 2 (IN) on the ONKYO to the DVD button and connected a HDMI cable to the Samsung Blu-ray. This works for the picture but no surround sound.

Would connecting another optical between the Samsung and the ONKYO solve this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

best regards
Roy

Does the Samsung have two HDMI out? If so then make sure that both audio and video are assigned to the main HDMI and not separated. I imagine that you will find that somewhere in the HDMI set up menu.

Thanks for your reply gibbsy.

No, just one HDMI OUT. But it does have an Optical audio Out.

I do have another assignable Optical IN on the ONKYO, so I could try an optical between them.

Not very au fait with the electronics as you can tell so I'm just worried about causing damage by making the wrong connections.

You could try another HDMI in on the Onkyo. However turn off all those appliances connected by HDMI when inserting the lead. 'Hot' connecting can cause problems. I can see no reason with the player as to why you're not getting audio and suspect something on the Onkyo or an assignment error on your side.

Hi gibbsy,
Couldn't find anything re an assignment error. I connected an optical from the Samsung to the Onkyo and assigned it to the same button (Cbl/Sat) as the HDMI and I now have both sound and vision.

Only thing I've got to sort now is when that when I play my Brennan through the CD input I get the sound out of all five speakers instead of just the front pair. I've tried the "Stereo" button on the remote but that doesn't make any difference.

I don't have an Onkyo so can't comment on the remote. Is there a Direct function on the remote anywhere. Try that, but it will not allow the sub to be used.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom