Onkyo tx sr608 vs HK 3270, and Audyssey

radum

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently bought the Onkyo (I was basically bored and found a nice one fora great price, but the Audyssey mic is missing).
Until now I was using the HK hooked to a pair of Sony SSF6000 8ohm speakers.

I'm only using it for music. Now, the thing is that I think the HK sounds somewhat better... can't put my finger on it. Maybe not bad, but different. (sources are PC - Creative x-fi soundcard and TV - optical out with Fiio Taishan DAC, stereo output on both)
I've set the Onkyo speaker impedance to 4 ohm, after reading around (it gets hot when set to 6 for 6-16ohm speakers). As listening mode, Stereo or Pure Audio (it's an european model).

My question is, should I bother trying to find an Audyssey microphone?
I know that some feature won't be available without running the setup (I'm also aware that Pure Audio bypasses everything).

Thank you!

You should not use a 4 ohm fixed setting when the nominal is 8 ohm, serves no purpose and may even hinder the drops to the minimum for the speaker. Running Audyssey may improve the audio for stereo but I doubt it. Receivers are poor for stereo music so I'm not surprised you find the HK better sounding. Personally I would not use a receiver over a stereo amp for music.

I played with it more today... It sounds better than the HK when using its own DAC. I'm now using the cards' optical out.
The 4ohm setting is for 4 to 6ohm speakers. The 6 ohm setting is for 6 to 16ohm speakers.
The speakers sound exactly the same on both settings. But when set to 6 it really heats up, on 4 lukewarm. It also draws twice as much power from the wall outlet when set to 6. I listen to normal sounds levels, I'm not worried. It was still fine on floor shaking levels.

But overall, you're right :), HK is still somewhat warmer. However, the Onkyo is crisper and tighter. I like them both now :(. I also found a mic for 20$, I'm supposed to get it next week. I still want to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
It's odd that it's running hotter when set to 6 ohms and the at 4 ohms it draws more power. Worth running Audyssey now that you've found a mic. You can switch between the calibrated settings and pure direct for a comparison.

In case someone was wondering :), this is what happens after running the Audyssey setup with only front speakers connected:

- Dynamic EQ and Volume are enabled.
- All surround modes are disabled. (so far this is what I was after... to hear that auto EQ setup and to have all surround modes disabled).
- Speaker distance and level (distance spot on, and -1db) set up.

With the EQ on bass is boosted quite a bit... but the EQ can be disabled.

Happy now :)

Hi there. I need to get a mic for an onkyo tax sr608. Can anyone tell me how I tell which mics would work? There are lots out there second hand but I’m not sure how specific they are to different models.

I used ACM1HB. Also tried with something from a Yamaha receiver. Waay better results with ACM1HB.

THe impedance switching simply reduces the receiver's rail voltage and is in fact starving speakers of power if set to a lower setting than its default 8ohm setting. THe receiver will be running hotter if using the default, but the receiver is still within its operational range. The receiver includes integral protection circuitry that would shut it down and put it into standby should its operational temperature get close to its limits.

It is generally advised that you ;eave impedance switching set to the 8ohm setting regardless of the actually impedance of the speakers you are driving. Setting it lower impacts upon the receiver's performanve and can even damage the speakers by failing to supply them the power they need.

You may find this article of interest:

As to the calibration mic. You should always use the mic model that was intended for use with an AV receiver. The calibration curve built-in to the receiver is specific to that microphone. Any other microphone will have different characteristics and thus will not produce accurate results. Microphones have different calibration curves and are not interchangeable.

Last edited:
I cannot guarantee it, but the mic will have more likely than not have been an Audyssey ACM1H mic?

Cool. Having looked at a few things I think that sound right. Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom