Question Only one speaker working unless volume turned up?

Mr Zippy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Dragged my old Mission floorstander speakers, Rotel amp and Sonic Link Red cable out of loft to use with new QLED Samsung TV. Connected using Cyp Dac, and QED RCA and interconnector cables, Initially, when using Aux setting on amp there was a scratchy static sound from both speakers, but a bit of knob twiddling (switching between Aux and Phono on amp) and it sprang into life. Fine. Good sound. But only one speaker. Have swapped over cables on speaker ports on amp (and used Remote Speaker ports) and this swaps the speaker that works. So I concluded that it was not the Speakers and most likely the speaker cable. But, if you turn the volume up on the amp to almost half way both speakers work, but it is deafening! I am now confused, if cable is at faulty, why does it work fine (clear and loud!) but only when volume is turned up? Any ideas?

Probably a faulty volume pot - or it could be a dodgy speaker wire joint somewhere that cuts in at high volumes only.

Probably needs a full service and all the pots and switches cleaning up. Worth spending the money IMHO!

From the symptom you describe, I do not believe there are faults with you speaker cables or speakers, it is more likely to be the amp.
Sometimes with older rotel amps (depending on model) the input source selector switches play up from dirty contacts, you could try using a different input like (tuner or CD but NOT phono) if this is the case and hope that THAT input is OK. To fix that issue long term the switch will need cleaning with switch cleaner from inside by qualified personnel.
If that isn't the problem ..then some amps have speaker protection relays built in to them, sometimes when the equipment isn't used for a while the contacts in the relay that pass the sound can get a little tarnished and not pass the signal properly, a firm tap on the top of the amp sometimes will engage the relay properly and the sound will work. You can tell if your amp has a relay like this as when you first turn on the power you will hear a quiet CLICK sound. Sometimes this issue can be resolved by just using the amp and switching it on and off multiple times. Lastly make sure your phono leads are fully inserted and try reversing them (one may have a bad connection)

Thanks both. Since posting, it has become a bit more erratic. Had already tried CD/Tuner ports. Currently both speakers work at 'normal' volume, but not consistently. As you say, amp probably needs service. It was fairly expensive (£400)n when I bought it in mid 90s, although I assume modern amps at cheaper relative price would do as good a job with TV sound. It has been stored in original box in loft for over 10 years, so maybe everything needs warming up a bit. Cheers.

If it's intermittent, sounds like dirty selector switches or possibly even some surface corrosion on the connectors themselves.

It's still a good amplifier and you would need to spend a similar amount to replace it like for like.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom