Oppo 203 as a Media Streamer

Nutcasey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I wanted to ask if anyone here has a good experience of using the 203 as a media streamer. I ask because I hear this has some amazing picture quality for discs so I'm wondering if it would also serve my MKV collection that I ripped to my NAS in the same way.

Any feedback would be great! Is there perhaps a better solution that uses a similar video processor?

Thanks!

well my 203 plays all my mkv's perfect so no reason why yours shouldn't mate :smashin:

Excellent! So can you browse files with the 203? Can it also stream all different audio types?

I use my 203 as a network renderer to stream mkv files from my server, running JRiver Media Centre, over DLNA using a tablet as controller to browse and pick a movie and then the remote to control playback and it works really well.
Not sure how well the 203 works as a controller for DLNA or SMB.
I don't notice any real difference in picture quality compared to streaming direct to my LG OLED but the Oppo supports all the HD audio formats (DTS-HD Master, Dolby Atmos etc) that my TV does not.
On the downside it only supports gapless music playback from USB or over SMB and NOT over DLNA which is a shame. Also if you are going to stream untouched 4k rips beware that you will need a fast reliable network connection over 100Mb/s to avoid stutter.

I use my OPPO UDP-203 as a media streamer all the time (and the BDP-103 before that). I have all my CD's, DVD's and many of my Blu-ray disc's stored on my NAS and can access my media files via SMB or UPnP media shares.

When it comes to playing music, I prefer to use the OPPO MediaControl app on my cell phone so I don't need to turn my TV on, just the OPPO and my amp(s).

You don't get a flashy UI to navigate through your media files like you do with dedicated media streaming devices but I prefer the OPPO ;)

Excellent! So can you browse files with the 203? Can it also stream all different audio types?
You can browse files with the 203 and its remote but if you have a large library it may be better to either use Oppo's free Android or iOS app to browse and stream using SMB from your NAS or use another app as a DLNA controller to stream to the 203.
As for audio formats it does what I need, that is I have used it successfully with FLAC files up to 6ch 192k 24bit and up to 6ch dsf files for DSD. But with the restriction it will not do gapless over DLNA only SMB or USB.

I use my 203 to stream my music using Roon.

I use my 203 to stream my 4K movie RIP's using Emby.

Flawless quality in both instances. Using the Oppo to browse for the files is doable but it's not a nice way to do it.

That's what Emby and Roon are for. I use an iPad for control. Very user friendly and the user interface looks incredibly slick.

Are there any current media players out there that would offer picture quality on a par with the Oppo for DVD/Bluray rips?

Are there any current media players out there that would offer picture quality on a par with the Oppo for DVD/Bluray rips?

Nvidia Shield (doesn't do Dolby Vision as of yet)
Apple 4K TV (doesn't do Dolby Atmos as of yet)

Both should run Emby or Plex.

Alternatively any 4K UHD player with DNLA.

I guess I mean to say, what would give the best video quality? I bring up the Oppo because that is meant to be world class with it's media processor. Is there an alternative that is just a media streamer if I didn't want to go the UHD player route?

I guess I mean to say, what would give the best video quality? I bring up the Oppo because that is meant to be world class with it's media processor. Is there an alternative that is just a media streamer if I didn't want to go the UHD player route?

Many top end media streamers give exeptional picture quality and ive heard on par as such with the oppo 203 .
The Zidoo X10 4K is one for Movie storage playback as well as streaming etc .

Is there an alternative that is just a media streamer if I didn't want to go the UHD player route?

Nvidia Shield or the Apple 4K TV are the pick of the bunch.

It depends if HD audio and Atmos is of importance to you.

The shield will pass through HD audio formats and Atmos from your rips. The Apple TV will not.

You can't rip Dolby Vision metadata via makemkv as of yet so whilst the Apple is capable of showing DV, you won't have any content to take advantage of it.

I see! This is good info. So is the raspberry pi seen as a very low end type in terms of picture quality? I know I'm kind of going off on a tangent here but it's interesting to know what the best devices are for a NAS setup.

What TV have you got? Do you plan an upgrade? If so what to?

What receiver (if any) have you got? Do you plan an upgrade? If so what to?

What separate speaker system have you got? Do you plan an upgrade? If so what to?

Other than your ripped disc collection, what other content do you watch? Netflix? Amazon? etc.

I have the exact same TV you have! The 65inch B7 OLED. My receiver is old but I have the fantastic Monitor Audio silver setup from years back. I do streaming (Netflix etc) but largely watch things I've ripped off of my NAS.

I'd ideally want the 'best' picture quality I can get hence the Oppo question. If this has the best video processor you can get, would that be the ideal solution to my needs.

Netflix
For Netflix your best option is to use the app in Web OS (same goes for Amazon). Your TV is capable of passing (compressed) Atmos through ARC should you ever decide to upgrade your amp and speakers to say a 5.1.2 set up. You'll also get Netflix in Dolby Vision for titles with DV.

1080p
If your ripped files are 1080p, download either the Plex or Emby app for Web OS. You'll need to run the Plex/Emby server on a PC or Mac. Output sound from your TV to your receiver.

4K is where the above becomes a problem. Your TV only comes with 10/100 ethernet LAN port. Why not gigabit in this day and age I have no idea. You can play 4K using the method above but you will suffer from buffering and blockiness in some titles with high bitrates. Not recommended.

So if you watch a lot of 4K rips or intend to the following options work.

Option 1 - (best video - best audio)
Oppo UDP-203 (or any Ultra UHD blu-ray player with DNLA)
Run Emby server on Mac or PC
Use Emby app on iPad or iPhone and steam to UHD player
Upgrade Amp to pass through 4K (Denon XVR-X2400 or similar)
203 to receiver, receiver to TV

Option 2 - (best video - best audio)
Nvidia Shield
Run Plex server and Plex client on shield
Shield to receiver, receiver to TV

Option 3 (best video - best audio)
Nvidia Shield
Run Emby client on Shield
Shield to receiver, receiver to TV

Option 4 - (best video - compromised audio)***
As your receiver does not pass through 4k send the picture and sound from the 203 to the TV. Output sound from your TV to your receiver.
***Edit/correction - use second HDMI out for audio to legacy receiver - (best video - best audio)

Option 5 - (best video - compromised audio)

Nvidia Shield
Run Plex server and Plex client on shield
As your receiver does not pass through 4k send the picture and sound from the Shield to the TV. Output sound from your TV to your receiver.

Option 6 (best video - compromised audio)
Nvidia Shield
Run Emby client on Shield
As your receiver does not pass through 4k send the picture and sound from the Shield to the TV. Output sound from your TV to your receiver.

An interesting article about upscaling...

Why your 4K TV is probably the only 4K converter you need

Last edited:
Fantastic reply there! Thanks.

Happy to help. All learned through experience. Getting the best sound is easy. Getting the best video is easy. Getting both took some effort, experimentation and a lot of drilling down into hardware and software specifications.

I'm of the opinion that makemkv will crack Dolby Vision in time. 203 does DV, Shield does not.

Emby is a joy to use and looks very slick. It's like a personal Netflix. Cue up what you want to watch on your iPad, watch the trailer if you like and hit play. Server is free, app is a fiver. Support via the forum is the best I've experienced - the actual developers respond to queries/questions within hours.

Another advantage of the 203 is that it's a Roon end-point which is hands down the best music player bar none. Bit spendy though.

My set-up is option 1 if you hadn't worked it out :)

Last edited:
I think you've very much convinced me to get a 203! Thanks again.

It's a pleasure pal, you won't regret it. Should you need further convincing consider residuals - take a look at what the last gen Oppo players fetch on e-bay.

Last edited:
Option 4 - (best video - compromised audio)
As your receiver does not pass through 4k send the picture and sound from the 203 to the TV. Output sound from your TV to your receiver.
You don't need to compromise on audio in this setup if you use the second HDMI output on the Oppo to feed audio directly to your receiver. This is what I currently do.

You don't need to compromise on audio in this setup if you use the second HDMI output on the Oppo to feed audio directly to your receiver. This is what I currently do.

My mistake, yes you're right. 203 has two HDMI outs - one for audio only.

Option 1 - (best video - best audio)
This isn't strictly accurate. I have a Panasonic UB900 and it will only play Atmos/DTS-X/DTS HD. Only lossy and I think Dolby True HD.

I own a Vero 4k for this reason.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom