Question Oppo 203 or 205 4K player feeding a 7704 Procesor

sapper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am running a 105 BR player through my Onkyo Processor to feed my 1080 Plasma, using audio leads for stereo/multichannel and HDMI for movies. But I am intending over the next few months to update to a 4K system.

Currently, I am considering either a Marantz Processor or an Arcam 390 feeding my P7 amp.

Both of these systems have good onboard DACS etc. I am also in my mid-50s and starting to have a hearing deficiency due to old age. I can still appreciate a good sound though, or at least my interpretation of a good sound!1 :D

So would the extra cost of the 205 be worthwhile, or would Ibe better off buying the 203 and connecting that to my new AV amp/processor to do the decoding for me? I am thinking that I may be better saving my pennies and buy the 203 and perhaps buy the Arcam 390 instead (after auditioning of course)

I hope this makes sense?

If you go the Arcam 390 route then no. The Arcam's DIRAC live system is digital room correction and there it does not make sense to convert the digital signal to Analog in the UHD player, only for the Arcam to convert back to to digital and then apply room correction and then convert to analog and then to the speakers via the power amp.

At the best of times it hard to tell the difference between DACS as there is only slight differences between good and excellent DACS. Spend the money you save on upgrading your speakers and you hear plenty of difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom