OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

the only time the oppo is doing the dv processing is for the crappy sony implementation,where there tvs couldn't.
And my Samsung, a pre hdr 4K tv. I am aware of the Sony issue though.

hello guys ,
anyonce can recomnded about kit mod for region free for blurays ?
where can i buy from good seller ?
tanks for the help

I have a Panasonic Tv that does HDR10+and Dolby Vision and I know for a fact that my OPPO 203 does HDR10 + but have No software to prove this...what also I find strange is that although the TV has built in D ATMOS speakers when you play a disc encoded with D ATMOS the display on the the OPPO tells me it is outputting TRUE HD ....Any thoughts

I have a Panasonic Tv that does HDR10+and Dolby Vision and I know for a fact that my OPPO 203 does HDR10 + but have No software to prove this...what also I find strange is that although the TV has built in D ATMOS speakers when you play a disc encoded with D ATMOS the display on the the OPPO tells me it is outputting TRUE HD ....Any thoughts
dolby atmos is encoded in the true hd soundtrack,the oppo bitstreams the audio,and any compatible device ie my avr, which extracts the atmos,the oppo has nothing to do with decoding atmos.

I have the 55GZ2000 and the picture is stunning. Just one issue. I have the oppo 205 connected directly to hdmi 2 but the TV is not detecting Dolby vision on any of the disc that I have. I have to set the HDR setting to force Dolby vision. If it’s set to auto it just outputs HDR 10. I have fully reset the player but same thing. Any ideas would be appreciated

I have the oppo 205 connected directly to hdmi 2 but the TV is not detecting Dolby vision on any of the disc that I have....
When you bought the OPPO it came bundled with a Premium Certified HDMI lead. Are you using it to connect to your Panasonic TV.

Is your OPPO running the latest firmware? Which is 20EU-65-0131 for the UK/EU players.

When you bought the OPPO it came bundled with a Premium Certified HDMI lead. Are you using it to connect to your Panasonic TV.

Is your OPPO running the latest firmware? Which is 20EU-65-0131 for the UK/EU players.
All sorted. I reset the player and all good now but thanks for the advice. Much appreciated

I previously used an older Pioneer AVR with HDMI 1.4, since it was still good for audio but not video I used the video+audio HDMI output on the Oppo directly to the TV and the audio only HDMI output to the Pioneer.

I recently got a Denon AVC-X6500H (HDMI 2.0), should I now use the combined Video + Audio HDMI output on the Oppo and let it go into the Denon or is it still recommended that I use the video directly into the TV and go for audio only to the Denon? Any downsides or upsides in either way?

@valmont74 , Direct links will give the cleanest picture. The only benefit of routing via the amp is fewer HDMI leads to the TV. Separate leads to the tv allow you to watch Sky whilst listening to music. A single cable will prevent that. I’d stick with direct connection.

@valmont74 , Direct links will give the cleanest picture. The only benefit of routing via the amp is fewer HDMI leads to the TV. Separate leads to the tv allow you to watch Sky whilst listening to music. A single cable will prevent that. I’d stick with direct connection.
Ok, so video to the TV and audio to the amp is your recommendation, thank you! I think I can recall reading something about a cleaner image on direct video connection too back in the early days of 4K, but wasn't sure if I'd dreamt it. :)

The reason I started to doubt the set up was that I watched the extended version of Black Hawk Down (4K UHD) the other night and noticed on a few occasions that it lost sync. After pausing and starting it was back in synch. I could think of a couple of reasons for this: The set up - separated audio and video HDMI's. It could also be the disc (never watched on the Oppo and Denon before) or the actual branching on the disc that swaps between the theatrical cut and extended. Or the Denon is faulty (brand new). Now I have done some googling and it seems that some of the Sony Players and the Oppo 203 has some sync issues on this title. Whew, at least the Denon wasn't the culprit...

@valmont74 , that reminds me of the same out of sync issue I had watching The Martian on Saturday night. Half-way through it went out. Pausing didn't fix it. Had to eject and then it restarted at the correct place with lip sync okay again. I have separate leads out of the Oppo so it's just a UHD thing perhaps.

@valmont74 , that reminds me of the same out of sync issue I had watching The Martian on Saturday night. Half-way through it went out. Pausing didn't fix it. Had to eject and then it restarted at the correct place with lip sync okay again. I have separate leads out of the Oppo so it's just a UHD thing perhaps.
Common problem with The Martian extended cut. Theatrical version seems OK. A number of members got their 4kBluRay replaced apparently.

Common problem with The Martian extended cut. Theatrical version seems OK. A number of members got their 4kBluRay replaced apparently.
Thanks. I can live with it but good to know it’s the disc and not the Oppo. :thumbsup:

Same thing with the Black Hawk Down extended version, there is a whole thread on the topic!

Has anyone done an AB comparison with a Sonica DAC and a 203? Wondering what the step-up performance in the analog audio would be - as in night/day or slight? Cheers

Has anyone done an AB comparison with a Sonica DAC and a 203? Wondering what the step-up performance in the analog audio would be - as in night/day or slight? Cheers

I have both the UDP-203EU and the Sonica DAC. The Sonica is in my HiFi rack, and the 203 in my home cinema cabinet.

Before I recently upgraded my disc spinner to the Denon DCD-2500NE SACD/CD player (stunning :smashin:), I was using the Sonica to process the digital stream (coax) from my Arcam CD82 CD player. It did an excellent job in that role and, having tried the 203 in the same role, my personal experience was that the Sonica gave easily the better result - smoother high frequency detail, and more clearly defined bass. Of course, that was in my HiFi system - to my ears...

The Sonica is still in my HiFi system - doing an excellent job of streaming my Tidal HiFi account, and streaming FLAC and DSD rips from my QNAP NAS (running Asset UPnP DLNA server). IMHO, its superior Sabre ES9038PRO DAC and analogue preamp produce a much more pleasing result :)

thanks for your response @HenryHonda ...I've currently removed my 203 from my HC setup and have it in a separate 2ch HiFi room (using Roksan K3 integrated, Dali Rubicon2s). I've recently been listening to more music (DSD rips via HDD/USB on the 203) and I'm now wondering whether it would be a worthwhile upgrade path trying to source a Sonica for the superior DAC and similar streaming abilities?

Well, as I've said, I did that a few years ago and did not regret it for a second.

Obviously, OPPO equipment is no longer sold - so you won't get a warranty, or any support (I think). Whilst the 203 and 205 continue to get support - as OPPO promised - I've not seen anything about support for the Sonica DAC (or the wireless speakers, which were never released in the UK). I don't anticipate any firmware updates...

I use the Android app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to control the streaming, and the app is still available in the Play Store. It generally works fine, but can lock-up sometimes when you've got several apps running at the same time - just need to shut down app and restart.

Tidal (and I think Spotify) runs natively on the Sonica - i.e. streaming is straight from Ethernet or WiFi to the DAC - your tablet or phone merely act as a control and display.

Of course, if the app is ever withdrawn - or becomes incompatible with a future version of the Android OS or iOS, streaming could become nigh on impossible... I just hope that enthusiasts and/or ex-OPPO techs would take over and tweak the app for us.

Good luck with your search for a S/H unit - they seem to be in great demand, and I read an article yesterday which suggested they are selling in some places for double the original cost :eek:

Watched The Doors Final Cut and it lost sync slightly around the 1 hour 20 mark. Pausing and starting again solved it. Anyone else notice this?

Hi everyone. Hitting an interesting issue with my 203 and my Panasonic GZ2000 I am wondering if anyone has seen before on other TVs or has any ideas how to fix.

Sooooo. Noticed this quirk when CEC is enabled on my OPPO 203 connected to my Panasonic GZ2000 TV.

When my OPPO 203 has CEC enabled for some reason the internal Netflix app loses Dolby Atmos flagging and playback on programs.

So the workaround I had was to disable CEC on the OPPO 203.....Dolby Atmos on the internal app is there and has been since I did it . Completely reproducible. Sorted huh????

Welllllll. I had noticed that somewhere along the line the option in sound settings to switch speaker selection had disappeared between external and TV speakers.

So did some testing and Low and behold. I enable CEC on the OPPO 203 and speaker selection comes back in the sound menu on the TV. But yes DOlby Atmos on Netflix disappears. Something in CEC between the OPPO 203 and the TV is not playing ball.

So at the moment it’s DOlby Atmos in Netflix app or speaker selection in the sound menu.

Anyone seen this before? Any ideas??

Edit: Factory reset has not fixed it....realised I hadn’t done one since I got new TV but has made no difference.

Last edited:
The 203 can be used as a destination for ARC. Do you have it plugged into HDMI2, the TV's ARC port, by any chance? It may be then presenting as an ARC destination but one that doesn't support Atmos processing, so the Netflix app reverts to non-Atmos?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom