OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and help to my question regarding the analogue outputs. All sorted - after a fashion........!

TheCrow: Unfortunately, the Oppo always seems to default to the HDMI output, so having both connected to the receiver means that it is always the HDMI signal that is used.

UEG: I was looking to use the Oppo's DAC as the manual states:
The UDP-203 is equipped with a 7.1ch analog audio output that can be connected to the 7.1ch
analog input section of an A/V receiver or amplifier for audio output. This method is required if the
A/V receiver does not have HDMI inputs. It is also a preferred connection method for taking advantage of the UDP-203’s advanced digital-to-analog converter (DAC).
So, I looked to keep all the CD/SACD/DVD-Audio decoding within the Oppo and for it to simply pass on the decoded analogue signal to the Denon.

Ultra2Man: What you said led me to the 'solution'. I don't have an 'Ext in' button on my Denon remote; however, what I did was to assign 'External In' on the Denon to Aux1; I made External In as the only available sound source for Aux1 and that did the trick.

Gibbsy: I don't seem to have that particular facility on my quick select buttons.
but analogue signals still go through the digital domain.
Is that correct? I fondly imagined that once converted to an analogue signal that it would remain that way. Perhaps not then!

SeeMoreDigital:
It looks like Mark is hooking up an 8-channel analogue audio connection ;)
Exactly!

Thanks again, all.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
PS: The icing on the cake was that I managed to maintain the On Screen Display when using the Analogue outputs by using two HDMI leads; I connected the Sound Only HDMI on the Oppo to the receiver and the Main HDMI on the Oppo directly to the TV. As I needed a second HDMI lead, I took the opportunity to use an 18Gbps HDMI lead to link the Oppo to the TV. I might be kidding myself, but I do believe that the picture is actually better with the direct link between the two, rather than going through the receiver.

All this might seem like a lot of switching between remotes and devices, but as I have a Harmony remote it was easy to program the activities and it all works (touch wood) perfectly with one selection on the Harmony for the analogue output (music disks to use the DAC) and another to utilise the HDMI output (video disks).

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Last edited:
Thanks, I’m going to try one of these, will be ripping movies and connecting to the Oppo.

I’ve got a 5tb hooked up and working fine.
Is your's a 2.5" USB powered 5TB HDD too?

EDIT: Bugger you posted at the same time as me!

Thanks for the hard drive recommendations, that really helps, I just need to find a UHD drive so I can rip 4k discs to the drive.

If anyone has any recommendations again I would be grateful.

I believe this one is still available - LG WH16NS40

I just need to find a UHD drive so I can rip 4k discs to the drive.

If anyone has any recommendations again I would be grateful.
I've been using the ASUS BW-16D1HT drive with MakeMKV without any issues since Sep 2018. That being said, any drive you eventually choose will need to be re-flashed to make it UHD disc copying friendly ;)

I've only used my Oppo to play discs so using it to play MKV's is new to me, I take it I can still play Atmos, Dolby Vision and HDR movies as MKV's.

I was thinking of getting a dedicated player something like a Zappiti but before I do that I wanted to try the Oppo to see how I get on.

Any reason I shouldn't use the Oppo to play MKV's ?

Thanks

The latest version of MakeMKV includes support for Dolby Vision and Atmos tracks on branching discs. The latter would cause dropouts prior to the latest version.

I bought my drive from "asmcom" on eBay.

There is a dedicated sub-forum of MakeMKV for compatible UHD drives.

I've never used the Oppo for MKVs as I've always had a dedicated player; currently Dune 4K pro.

HTH

The latest version of MakeMKV includes support for Dolby Vision and Atmos tracks on branching discs. The latter would cause dropouts prior to the latest version.

I bought my drive from "asmcom" on eBay.

There is a dedicated sub-forum of MakeMKV for compatible UHD drives.

I've never used the Oppo for MKVs as I've always had a dedicated player; currently Dune 4K pro.

HTH

Thanks, that helps, can I ask why you don't use your Oppo for MKV's ?

I think that it goes back to when I first ripped MKVs and used a Popcoem Hour C-200. I just got used to having a moviewall and wouldn't want to go back to trawling through folders over two NAS to find what I wanted. I did try using an Oppo 93 in my search for one box to rule them all but vaguely remember that it couldn't do PGS subtitles. That's not to say that there haven't been problems with my current streamer, a Dune 4K Pro but they all seem to be ironed out now.

My display doesn't do anything beyond vanilla HDR10 so the lack of Dolby Vision didn't affect me. I would advise though that you trawl through the Dolby Vision threads on MakeMKV as I suspect that being able to include DV into a .MKV isn't the end of the story. Pretty much every playback device or software going always seems to have some something or other not quite right.

The blu ray drive

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom