OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Just watched justice league and guys if you don't own it get it, rent it whatever. The picture is superb but the audio, I don't have Atmos so just watched DTS hd ma was amazing. It maybe the best produce film I've seen audio wise. The bass is sick.

Like on what? I just watched justice league and no the ones in the film were spot on
All hdr content with subtitles, they are really bright white. You can't even change the colour of the subtitles.

Thanks

All hdr content with subtitles, they are really bright white. You can't even change the colour of the subtitles.

Thanks

What TV or pj are you using? I'd say there was something out there.

What TV or pj are you using? I'd say there was something out there.
I have a Sony oled TV.

I will try a take a pic to show how bright it is.

Thanks

It could be really subtle and you wouldn't notice it under normal viewing. 24P movie playback represents a much lower bandwidth than the menu screen or trying to playback an upscaled DVD, bizarrely. At least with a certified cable you know that it's going to be one thing less to factor in as possible causes.
Well, last night I tried pulling out the video HDMI cable while it was playing music via the second HDMI socket and plugging in the video HDMI cable back into the OPPO did stop the audio for a second or two, is this not normal as I think if most or not all BD players would do this? Does yours not do this behaviour.

I was using the OPPO HDMI cable yesterday and it seemed all was good for 45mins when playing music, but out of nowhere it dropped out again for a second or two, did it a few times, again completely random. I then grabbed a few CDS and thought I go old school and turned the TV off and unplugged the video HDMI cable, only played it for 20 mins, but no drop out at all, will have to try this longer, but does seem to point to some sort of message being sent from my Sony TV to my OPPO then the OPPO is relaying it to the Marantz which is not ignoring it and responding to it with a drop-out in audio. Strange one.

Well, last night I tried pulling out the video HDMI cable while it was playing music via the second HDMI socket and plugging in the video HDMI cable back into the OPPO did stop the audio for a second or two, is this not normal as I think if most or not all BD players would do this? Does yours not do this behaviour.

I was using the OPPO HDMI cable yesterday and it seemed all was good for 45mins when playing music, but out of nowhere it dropped out again for a second or two, did it a few times, again completely random. I then grabbed a few CDS and thought I go old school and turned the TV off and unplugged the video HDMI cable, only played it for 20 mins, but no drop out at all, will have to try this longer, but does seem to point to some sort of message being sent from my Sony TV to my OPPO then the OPPO is relaying it to the Marantz which is not ignoring it and responding to it with a drop-out in audio. Strange one.
What music files are you playing from a network or steaming? I turned off my arc settings from the TV and my amp. I then made my TV output to its speakers only and turned them down. I now have no handshake issues at all.

What music files are you playing from a network or steaming? I turned off my arc settings from the TV and my amp. I then made my TV output to its speakers only and turned them down. I now have no handshake issues at all.
Hard drive connected to the OPPO direct, using the OPPO interface.

Sony TV ARC and CEC is turned off and the Pre-amp settings are all turned off, but still does it sadly.

Hard drive connected to the OPPO direct, using the OPPO interface.

Sony TV ARC and CEC is turned off and the Pre-amp settings are all turned off, but still does it sadly.
Yes my arc and CEC were both off but without changing the speaker over to something that isn't connected at all it still had issues.
Does your hard drive go to sleep have you checked it for bad sectors? Does it turn off or skip with streams etc?

That's really why I asked you to do that test - just to check if interrupting the video connection and forcing a video handshake would cause an audio mute, which you've confirmed that it does. I don't think the Oppo is relaying any kind of message to the Marantz at all, I think that the Oppo is just muting both video and audio HDMI outputs whilst a video handshake is happening.

Given that you've tried using the Oppo supplied lead as your video HDMI connection, I don't know what else to suggest really. You could try setting the video output to 1080P as a test, see if that makes any difference.

Have you checked that the firmware in your TV is up to date? Failing that, I guess you need to talk to both Oppo and Sony technical support and see if they can come up with a solution.

Yes my arc and CEC were both off but without changing the speaker over to something that isn't connected at all it still had issues.
Does your hard drive go to sleep have you checked it for bad sectors? Does it turn off or skip with streams etc?
Yes, my TV is set-up like you said, and I used my USB thumb drive in the front of the Oppo and that was the same.

That's really why I asked you to do that test - just to check if interrupting the video connection and forcing a video handshake would cause an audio mute, which you've confirmed that it does. I don't think the Oppo is relaying any kind of message to the Marantz at all, I think that the Oppo is just muting both video and audio HDMI outputs whilst a video handshake is happening.

Given that you've tried using the Oppo supplied lead as your video HDMI connection, I don't know what else to suggest really. You could try setting the video output to 1080P as a test, see if that makes any difference.

Have you checked that the firmware in your TV is up to date? Failing that, I guess you need to talk to both Oppo and Sony technical support and see if they can come up with a solution.
Cheers mate for trying to help,:smashin: we all had one of these stupid problems at one time it’s just finding whats wrong.

I found something of interest that may and I say again, may help was that I was thinking why the Audiolab 8200ap had no problems, then it hit me that all it had was a very basic HDMI chipset that just sucked the Audio side of things and ignored the video, but the Marantz as all the features and it made me think could it be something to do with audio sync, that the TV is outputting the sync to the Oppo and the OPPO is sending it on to the Marantz, maybe?

So, I did find a menu in the Marantz with Auto audio sync, I turned that off and the audio muted again for a second or two and the Oppo turned from pure audio mode back to normal, played it for a while and it did not do it.

So, fingers crossed it was that, will know tonight for sure, wish me luck.:)

Try petrol and a flame.

Hi could more experienced members confirm if the listings on amazon uk from Peter Tyson, Quantum AV and Sevenoaks all have the same mod (Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Oppo UDP-203MR UHD 4K Blu-ray Player (Black)) for the Bluray multi-region feature?

I'd prefer to buy through amazon as I have a few gift cards to use. Anyone have any views (either positive or negative) on any of the 3 suppliers?

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I bought mine from Peter Tyson and they were excellent and the multi region mod works perfectly.

Hi, does anyone know what the latest is with Oppo releasing a firmware that will play nice with Sony TV’s and their low latency ver of Dolby Vision?

Hi, does anyone know what the latest is with Oppo releasing a firmware that will play nice with Sony TV’s and their low latency ver of Dolby Vision?
The issue is with Sony. I spoke to Oppo about this and they were waiting for Sony to do something nowt to do with Oppo.

The issue is with Sony. I spoke to Oppo about this and they were waiting for Sony to do something nowt to do with Oppo.

That's not true AFAIK, Oppo's DV implementation does not include Dolby's latest "Low Latency" profile which Sony uses (Shared DV decoding between Video Source and Video display). Therefore Oppo have been working on implementing this new profile into their 203 and 205 machines and then has to go through Dolby approval cycle again. This was mentioned by Oppo in February.

This is why Sony states that HDMI sources need a firmware update to work with their TV's. Apple seemed to have a head-start with implementing this profile as their Beta firmware (released in early Feb?) included this new profile and as such works with the Sony TV's.

edit: what Oppo might have been implying in your communication to them is that they were waiting for Sony to release the TV DV firmware in Europe prior to Oppo releasing their new firmware, but I doubt it.

edit 2: more info and confirmation that Oppo is working on it: Sony's Dolby Vision update is finally rolling out in Europe - FlatpanelsHD

Last edited:
And sony said there waiting for Oppo

Who buys Sony anyways!!!! Shit man it's not 1999 ,;)

Has anyone with updated Sony been able to try the Oppo to see if DV works yet?

I am about to pick up an Oppo 203 tomorrow (now that my TV is finally "DV enabled").......

Edit: just seen the link posted a few posts back that an update is coming - oh well, might still get it as RS is £50 off this weekend :)

Has anyone with updated Sony been able to try the Oppo to see if DV works yet?

I am about to pick up an Oppo 203 tomorrow (now that my TV is finally "DV enabled").......
I can try later but I am pretty sure Oppo have said they are working on a firmware for this particular strain of DV and it would be ready around April. The Apple TV works a treat so cannot see it being too much of an issue.

The Oppo is a fantastic player btw.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom