OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Has anyone with updated Sony been able to try the Oppo to see if DV works yet?

I am about to pick up an Oppo 203 tomorrow (now that my TV is finally "DV enabled").......

Edit: just seen the link posted a few posts back that an update is coming - oh well, might still get it as RS is £50 off this weekend :)

Just tried Transformers TLK on the Oppo and as expected just HDR10.

Oppo's customer service answered to French user yesterday (Forum HDfever - Consulter le sujet - [UBD] Oppo UDP-203 : Lecteur Blu-Ray UHD (Notice en 1ère page))

The firmware that will support Low Latency Mode is going through the certification process with Dolby, so we do not have an explicit release date as to when this firmware can be released as it comes down to how quickly the firmware is certified by Dolby. But we hope the release will be done with a month's time or less.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Small discount on this at richer sounds,really tempted and 6yr warranty for piece of mind.

Oppo UHD Blu-ray Player

Martin

Small discount on this at richer sounds,really tempted and 6yr warranty for piece of mind.

Oppo UHD Blu-ray Player

Martin
I paid £624 for one last week and RS just refunded me £25 since it is cheaper this week with the Easter deal. So thanks for that.

Yes - got mine yesterday for 599 - I think it is extra for the 6yr supercare?

So far it is great. I updated firmware and it looks fantastic with everything I threw at it - UHD/BD/DVD/CD... Wow. Definitely an good upgrade from my Panny UB700 (which was good to be fair).

Yes - got mine yesterday for 599 - I think it is extra for the 6yr supercare?

So far it is great. I updated firmware and it looks fantastic with everything I threw at it - UHD/BD/DVD/CD... Wow. Definitely an good upgrade from my Panny UB700 (which was good to be fair).
Yes its 10% of price but if you dont use in the six years you can get the money back so a no brainer imo.
Good to know you are liking it:smashin:
Be good to know if anyone has come from the samsung k8500 to the oppo and their opinion for uhd playback would be appreciated.

Martin

Who buys Sony anyways!!!! sh*t man it's not 1999 ,;)
so do I a1 oled.

much better picture processing compared to the LG especially on lower end SD sources like sky.

Be good to know if anyone has come from the samsung k8500 to the oppo and their opinion for uhd playback would be appreciated.

Martin
I’ve tried
Panasonic UB900
Samsung K8500 (twice)
Oppo 203 (twice)
Xbox One
Sony X700

I still have the Xbox, Sony and Oppo. The Oppo is my main player of choice since it is imposing and a pleasure to use. However the Sony costs a fraction and is every bit as good a player with the added benefit of HDR apps.

I’ve played The Martian UHD on all of those devices over the last couple of years and haven’t noticed any material difference in the imagine on a 65 inch TV screen. Once firmware updates have ironed out any kinks you wouldn’t really expect a meaningful difference in playback. Useability is another thing.

Last edited:
UOTE="mtenga, post: 26093116, member: 639149"]I’ve tried
Panasonic UB900
Samsung K8500 (twice)
Oppo 203 (twice)
Xbox One
Sony X700

I still have the Xbox, Sony and Oppo. The Oppo is my main player of choice since it is imposing and a pleasure to use. However the Sony costs a fraction and is every bit as good a player with the added benefit of HDR apps.

I’ve played The Martian UHD on all of those devices over the last couple of years and haven’t noticed any material difference in the imagine on a 65 inch TV screen. Once firmware updates have ironed out any kinks you wouldn’t really expect a meaningful difference in playback. Useability is another thing.[/QUOTE]
Thanks mtenga,will stick with k8500 for now.Not a great lover of the sammy look and build quality but has been faultless with uhd playback.
Just thought that a 103 and 203 stacked on top of each other would look :cool::D

Martin

Yes its 10% of price but if you dont use in the six years you can get the money back so a no brainer imo.
Good to know you are liking it:smashin:

Martin

I recently upgraded from the Samsung 8500 to the Oppo 203. I’ve played several 4k titles so far, but the one which stands out most to me is Fantastic Beasts. From memory, it didn’t look this good on the Samsung. It somehow seems much smoother now. Obviously I no longer have the Samsung so can’t do a side by side comparison, but I’m happy enough with the purchase.

I've had my 203 since August last year and never had a playback issue with Blu-ray, DVD or 4K UHD, it's a fantastic machine. However when there's a rare occation when I play a CD (I have all my music on NAS) the machine almost never plays one without a hickup or skip! I am loathed to send the unit back to RS when it's been faultless otherwise. Am on the latest FW.

I’ll second that, had my 203 since launch and apart from some minor stutter issues early on it’s been flawless, i absolutely love the thing[emoji1362]

Agree with the above two posts, iv been through all the BD players and the OPPO is the best of them to me, fastest OS, plays any file I throw at it unlike the others I had, and great looking to boot.

Only problem I have is now because of changing to a Marantz Pro which seems to be having a compatibility problem when playing music with a drop out of audio, but not on bitstream for some unknown weird reason, will get to the bottom of it, but otherwise a solid machine.

I've had my 203 since August last year and never had a playback issue with Blu-ray, DVD or 4K UHD, it's a fantastic machine. However when there's a rare occation when I play a CD (I have all my music on NAS) the machine almost never plays one without a hickup or skip! I am loathed to send the unit back to RS when it's been faultless otherwise. Am on the latest FW.
I just expereienced my first glitch with this player - had it a week - and sure enough it was playing a CD. Really disappointing because all of my listening is via CD and I hoped this would serve as a superb player for the living room.

I'm trying again with Pure Audio switched on...

I just expereienced my first glitch with this player - had it a week - and sure enough it was playing a CD. Really disappointing because all of my listening is via CD and I hoped this would serve as a superb player for the living room.

I'm trying again with Pure Audio switched on...
Never had any issues with cd. What was it? I have RCA cables set up for mine

I'm using HDMI out.

Weirdly enough both glitches happened in track 3 of the CDs being played...
Try RCA cables much preferred the sound.
CDs dirty?

I'll try RCA... though that's a lot of cables for 5.1 SACD playback!

No, CDs were brand new out of the shrinkwrap.
RCA for CDs the I just use hdmi for SACD well there's only a few that are 5.1 most are still 2 channel

Agree with the above two posts, iv been through all the BD players and the OPPO is the best of them to me, fastest OS, plays any file I throw at it unlike the others I had, and great looking to boot.

Only problem I have is now because of changing to a Marantz Pro which seems to be having a compatibility problem when playing music with a drop out of audio, but not on bitstream for some unknown weird reason, will get to the bottom of it, but otherwise a solid machine.

Do you know what you might be on to something there, i had wondered if my issue was an HDMI thing with my Denon amp (similar to Marantz) rather than the Oppo. Maybe if I try an analogue cable it might go away. I'll try stereo rca and see if that sorts it.

This won't help playback of SACD's though as my amp doesn't have 5.1 RCA inputs like my old amp did.. shame.

Could it be that because my TV is not on during playback there is no HDMI consumer device rather just a passive Amp device and this causes dropouts or the fact that secondary audio is bring used to the amp.

That could explain my problem too - my TV isn't on during playback either. Oppo support has suggested disabling HDMI CEC (but this is already switched off across my entire system) and suggested that the ARC channel is always on and might be causing iterference... but is it still active even when the TV is off?

Going to try RCA 5.1 cables today.

Last edited:
If your TV has been left on standby that could be the problem the HDMI cables will still sense power and AFAIK the devices could still be trying to handshake
either pull the plug on the TV or switch off at the wall socket

Weirdly enough both glitches happened in track 3 of the CDs being played...
Is the glitch happening on just two of your CD's or are there more?

I've only played 2 CDs and 1 SACD so far. Both CDs glitched once, but when I played them again they played the "problem tracks" correctly (I have over 6000 CDs so can try others but will also try the RCA connections)

I tried Coax digital to my Denon Amp and CD playback is much better, but had two dropouts over the course of the whole CD (brand new disc). I will try Analogue RCA next. I will also try disconnecting HDMI to the TV with both.

Agree with Lesmor I also think the TV standby HDMI could be the issue.

HDMI CEC is off on my Oppo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom