OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

I've only played 2 CDs and 1 SACD so far. Both CDs glitched once, but when I played them again they played the "problem tracks" correctly...
So it might not be anything to worry about. The issue could be anything from poor grounding and cable management to something like a thermostat switch flicking on and off...

Just to confirm... Are you using the Oppos dedicated 'HDMI Audio' output to your AVR. And if-so, is the HDMI lead okay?

If you're connecting from your Oppo through your AVR to your TV are the HDMI leads the new spec 'Premium' certified type (like the one that came with your Oppo)?

So it might not be anything to worry about. The issue could be anything from poor grounding and cable management to something like a thermostat switch flicking on and off...

Just to confirm... Are you using the Oppos dedicated 'HDMI Audio' output to your AVR. And if-so, is the HDMI lead okay?

If you're connecting from your Oppo through your AVR to your TV are the HDMI leads the new spec 'Premium' certified type (like the one that came with your Oppo)?
I doubt its a thermostat or any kind of random external interference. And cabling seems fine.

Yes I'm using the Oppo's dedicated HDMI audio out.

I'm using Omars Premium Certified Cables (which have worked perfectly with every UHD and BD played so far - including Dunkirk)

Playing now with Pure Audio engaged and no problems as yet.

What seems most odd us that the two CDs glitched at roughly the same spot - track 3 - is some kind of video signal generated around that timeframe?!

Just played 2 CDs (Ready Player One - Alan Silvestri) with Pure Audio switched on and no glitches at all. So almost definitely an HDMI interference thing (maybe this'll get fixed one day...?!)

I was going to try RCA outputs but that means changing the HDMi Audio Out settings on thr player which seemed like too much of a faff.

Pure Audio is fine - you just lose the player's display during playback.

Just played 2 CDs (Ready Player One - Alan Silvestri) with Pure Audio switched on and no glitches at all. So almost definitely an HDMI interference thing (maybe this'll get fixed one day...?!)

I was going to try RCA outputs but that means changing the HDMi Audio Out settings on thr player which seemed like too much of a faff.

Pure Audio is fine - you just lose the player's display during playback.
No you don't need to change anything to get it to play via RCA other than a setting as in different input on the amp. Wasn't anything I changed.

Getting somewhere now. This from Oppo Support:

If you have the television on before you started the disc, then turned it off, this will happen. We have a LG C7 in our office that always causes a HDMI handshake after 10 minutes of being turned off, even when connected to a receiver.

So now I know what it is. Handshake seems to be from the TV's ARC port. Can't change that unfortunately because it's needed for Netflix.

Going to experiment to see if this series of events causes a glitch through the RCA outputs too.

If you have the television on before you started the disc, then turned it off, this will happen. We have a LG C7 in our office that always causes a HDMI handshake after 10 minutes of being turned off, even when connected to a receiver.

So now I know what it is. Handshake seems to be from the TV's ARC port. Can't change that unfortunately because it's needed for Netflix.

Going to experiment to see if this series of events causes a glitch through the RCA outputs too.
For this reason it's a **** chops. I actually bought a 4k firestick in order to stop using Arc. I disabled it and I then changed the TV audio to internal speaker turned it down no issues since.
But RCA cables to the amp also stopped any handshake issues as it wasn't using the hdmi of the amp.

And besides RCA for cd sounds better than hdmi for cd. Try it! Go on dare you

So isn't the answer to turn off the TV, then turn on the Oppo when you want to play a CD? This might mean you have to physically turn off the TV using the switch on the rear right hand side, rather than put it in standby.

That would work. Unfortunately I use a Harmony remote. So when switching from, say, blu-ray to CD the remote sends a signal to turn the TV off but leave the Oppo switched on...

I started using RCA cables tonight and the sound is, indeed, massively improved over HDMI. And no dropouts after 10 minutes of the TV going off. So, at the moment, RCA is a win/win!

Do you know what you might be on to something there, i had wondered if my issue was an HDMI thing with my Denon amp (similar to Marantz) rather than the Oppo. Maybe if I try an analogue cable it might go away. I'll try stereo rca and see if that sorts it.

This won't help playback of SACD's though as my amp doesn't have 5.1 RCA inputs like my old amp did.. shame.

Could it be that because my TV is not on during playback there is no HDMI consumer device rather just a passive Amp device and this causes dropouts or the fact that secondary audio is bring used to the amp.
Well I can confirm it’s a HDMI issue, I don’t think its anything to do with a handshake problem, more to do with CEC or on Sony TVS bravia sync etc…, tried the HDMI emulator and did not work, still dropped out, so I tried my old HD Fury linker which I sold to a mate, but asked if I could borrow it for a day and it worked, no drop-outs, I could see the TV re-syncing seems to be CEC can’t be sure or a HDCP code been sent and the linker sends it instead of the OPPO and it worked.

What I can tell is that the TV can see my Marantz somehow, I think the OPPO is sending the information to it or something and the TV keeps searching.

So, I tried something else, I turned every single option on for CEC, bravia sync in every hidden menu on my Sony and turned on the OPPO CEC for full control and in my Marantz and then tested. Would you believe it, it worked all last night, will see how it goes over this week, but now I get the annoying controls on the screen for the OPPO and the Marantz keeps turning over to TV audio if I change inputs on the TV, but better than the audio dropouts.

Well, just had first dropout using RCA cables. About 5 mins into the disc. Much shorter and less "jagged" since it was a break in analogue sound rather than digital signal but... clearly something still affecting it.

Just noticed that HDMI CEC is active on my LG OLED but it seems to be connected to SIMLINK and deactivating that seems to cut out sound for Netflix through TV Audio!

How complicated could it be?!

Only crap, OPPO shutting its doors, really rubbish news.
Breaking News: OPPO Digital to cease development of new products

Hope that firmware updates still follow as stated as we know how these things really play out most times.

Yep, a real bummer - just pulled the trigger on a new UDP-203, collecting from Richer Sounds tomorrow. Still going ahead - the value, and that of my current BDP-103EU, likely to hold-up for a while.

It would be good if the Oppo USA tech support guys formed the third party support team going forward - always speedy and polite service fron them in my experience :smashin:

Last edited:
Yep, a real bummer - just pulled the trigger on a new UDP-203, collecting from Richer Sounds tomorrow. Still going ahead - the value, and that of my current BDP-103EU, likely to hold-up for a while.

It would be good if the Oppo USA tech support guys formed the third party support team going forward - always speedy and polite service fron them in my experience :smashin:
I'd agree this would be best for both Oppo owners and the tech support guys themselves. A possible win-win scenario in a bad situation for both groups. I'd guess Champagne corks aren't popping with this news over in Menlo Park...:(

Last edited:
I'd agree this would be best for both Oppo owners and the tech support guys themselves. A possible win-win scenario in a bad situation for both groups. I'd guess Champagne corks aren't popping with this news over in Menlo Park...:(

I guess not. I've been exchanging emails with tech support just before/after Phil posted the news item (with pre-purchase questions about the UDP-203) and expressed my support and thanks in view of the awful situation. The response has continued to be polite and helpful, with no hint of how things are... :(

That links for highlander! But if they do close that's a shitter. Maybe someone will buy them!

Well, just had first dropout using RCA cables. About 5 mins into the disc. Much shorter and less "jagged" since it was a break in analogue sound rather than digital signal but... clearly something still affecting it.

Just noticed that HDMI CEC is active on my LG OLED but it seems to be connected to SIMLINK and deactivating that seems to cut out sound for Netflix through TV Audio!

How complicated could it be?!
Sound doesn’t get sent via ARC on the LG unless CEC is on, I’ve had the same issue in my system. Again, I only need sound coming from the TV for the apps like Netflix/iPlayer so I’ve gone for optical instead, is that an option for you? My system works a lot more smoothly with CEC off on everything, just had to buy a Harmony!

Sound doesn’t get sent via ARC on the LG unless CEC is on, I’ve had the same issue in my system. Again, I only need sound coming from the TV for the apps like Netflix/iPlayer so I’ve gone for optical instead, is that an option for you? My system works a lot more smoothly with CEC off on everything, just had to buy a Harmony!
It doesn't get sent unless CEC is on but the signal still gets interfered with if arc is on regardless.

It doesn't get sent unless CEC is on but the signal still gets interfered with if arc is on regardless.
That’s what I’m saying, turning it all off and using the optical out was the only way to get rid of issues in my system.

That’s what I’m saying, turning it all off and using the optical out was the only way to get rid of issues in my system.
Same as me. But I went with a firestick instead means I don't have to use the TVs menus again. And tidal is now on the firestick so everyone's w winner

Only crap, OPPO shutting its doors, really rubbish news.
Breaking News: OPPO Digital to cease development of new products

Hope that firmware updates still follow as stated as we know how these things really play out most times.

This is awful news - been a fan of Oppo products since importing their first DVD player. Let's hope they continue firmware support, as suggested, but the picture in the UK is a little less clear re: firmware and physical support, as demonstrated by the announcement on Oppo UK's website.

They havnt said why they wont be continuing, its a bit weird they are suddenly ending after only just bringing out the UHd players. maybe someone has bought them out and they don't like saying. The Panasonic UB9000 looks like they ripped off the oppo with there design, maybe they bought them? who knows. but its shocked me and Im very sad to hear this news, I love my multiregion oppo 203 player. I hope they do continue with the updates and support in the uk.

I must be jinxed - I bought a TAG McClaren AV processor and DVD Transport, TAG McClaren shut up shop when bought out by IAG. I bought a Topfield PVR, Topfield pulled out of the UK PVR market. I bought a DigitalStream PVR, DigitalStream pulled out of the UK market. I bought a 203 .....

I think they discontinued the 103 105 to force the uptake on the 203 205
unfortunately Brexit and a weak pound pushed up the purchase price add to that overpriced UHD discs are keeping UHD buyers away or looking for a cheaper option
Also Trump is looking to add trade tarrifs to Chinese goods so they might have been forced to increase prices

Last edited:
I must be jinxed - I bought a TAG McClaren AV processor and DVD Transport, TAG McClaren shut up shop when bought out by IAG. I bought a Topfield PVR, Topfield pulled out of the UK PVR market. I bought a DigitalStream PVR, DigitalStream pulled out of the UK market. I bought a 203 .....
Right so now we have the truth it's your fault thanks very much

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom