OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

It is a shock to say the least, read this late last night, was hoping it was an April Fool prank, but alas it isn't. I feel for the staff at the Norwich HQ...but at the end of the day, and as much as I hate to say it, this is the world of business. Were anything can happen. No such thing as a safe job nowadays ...

considering getting a 203 in light of the news. how critical is the build date of the machine (i.e. was there any hardware issues that were addressed) and those getting a recent build where did you buy from?

considering getting a 203 in light of the news. how critical is the build date of the machine (i.e. was there any hardware issues that were addressed) and those getting a recent build where did you buy from?
Mine's one of the earliest and I've had zero problems with any discs.

hi guys ,
just heard the news about oppo , such a shame for all of us that bought the player with the best of our money , i have so meny question- all of us like the physical media ....
obviously we are "extinct species" all of the company are moving to the streaming
just want to say my a pinion ......

Very sad news indeed for all the Oppo employees who work in the AV division. They made some cracking products over the years though so I imagine they will be hoovered up by savvy AV manufacturers.

I’ve absolutely loved my 203 for the few months I’ve had it, worth every penny IMO, sad news. Fingers crossed they will be good to their word and keep updating the firmware as necessary, I’m hoping for it to last many years, give me a 4K disc over streaming any day of the week!

My oppo 203 has a hdmi going straight to projector for picture as my amp does not support 4K & then one hdmi goes to my Denon avp amp for sound,works a treat.
Now I've just added apple 4K tv to the hdmi in on the oppo from apple tv,i get picture but no audio.
Anybody know why?

My oppo 203 has a hdmi going straight to projector for picture as my amp does not support 4K & then one hdmi goes to my Denon avp amp for sound,works a treat.
Now I've just added apple 4K tv to the hdmi in on the oppo from apple tv,i get picture but no audio.
Anybody know why?
not a good way to do it. hdmi in on the oppo is limited to 1080p so you won't be getting 4k to the projector from the atv

not a good way to do it. hdmi in on the oppo is limited to 1080p so you won't be getting 4k to the projector from the atv
I don’t think that’s right is it? As far as I know the HDMI input is 4k and has even been updated to be HDR compatible?

I don’t think that’s right is it? As far as I know the HDMI input is 4k and has even been updated to be HDR compatible?
My apologies if that's the case, I'm pretty sure the reviews I read said 1080p only, if it's wrong I apologise .

yup...totally wrong, quick google said 4k straight away. sorry for the inrcorrect post

That’s what I’m saying, turning it all off and using the optical out was the only way to get rid of issues in my system.
I don't think optical carries DD+ thou. It certainly doesn't carry Atmos.

What I'm trying now is perhaps the most obvious solution - keeping the TV on but blanking out the screen by selecting Pure Audio. If the TV is on it shouldn't need to go searching for a signal right?

What I'm trying now is perhaps the most obvious solution - keeping the TV on but blanking out the screen by selecting Pure Audio. If the TV is on it shouldn't need to go searching for a signal right?
It does carry DD+ I think, not sure about Atmos though, I’m still 5.1. You can get cables/adapters that completely disable CEC (ie the cable is not connected on that pin), I wonder if they still allow ARC to pass through, might be worth a try?

Nope... The 'optical' SPDIF output does not support Dolby Digital Plus (and can't be upgraded to do so).
Ah ok, I’m probably thinking back to when I was using ARC. So that’s interesting, I remember everyone telling me ARC was no more capable than optical, so how can it support DD+ and Atmos (albeit a lossy version) if optical can’t?

Yes, this is what I do. TV on, image/screen off, and no more audio dropouts.

I must be jinxed - I bought a TAG McClaren AV processor and DVD Transport, TAG McClaren shut up shop when bought out by IAG. I bought a Topfield PVR, Topfield pulled out of the UK PVR market. I bought a DigitalStream PVR, DigitalStream pulled out of the UK market. I bought a 203 .....

I would remove the albatros you have hanging around your neck

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom