OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

The last firmware update was 22nd February. Does that mean the guys at OPPO are not going to keep this player up to date ?
They most likely will, but not with the frequency they once were with problem discs.

Saying they will keep it supported is different to actually keeping supported. I fear problem discs, wont be of much concern as opposed to OS updates if they are required.

If it helps to provide a bit of hope, I’ve had a minor issue with streaming from Roon through my 203 and Roon support confirmed that it was a software issue with the 203 that was causing the problem and that they were in discussion with Oppo support about rectifying it with a firmware update.

Hi guys using the hdmi in
What are the advantages?
I'm only using two channel analogue at mo ( this is spare room system)
Is it worth plugging my 4k Firestick in or apple TV4k?
Getting best sound and pic is important to me
I can't see any settings to adjust
Thnx in advance

Also sorry does the hdmi in
Pass thru Dolby vision?
Doesn't let my apple TV pass it
Unless I have a setting wrong?

The last firmware release, Feb 2019, included a specific mode to pass Dolby Vision via the HDMI In which was called "HDMI IN BYPASS"

AHH thnx pal so I guess in bypass mode I don't get any oppo goodness added to pic & sound?
At the moment it's really working it's magic, YouTube is best I've ever seen

Yes, HDMI In bypass mode in Oppo just passes the incoming signal as is thus making it possible to support Dolby Vision input.

The apple TV actually looks and sounds better in bypass than going thru internal oppo processing
How weird is that?

To get my oppo to output hdr I have to set the HDR setting to forced, dolby vision works fine when set to player led but hdr only works when set to forced? Seems odd to me, is that what others are doing?

To get my oppo to output hdr I have to set the HDR setting to forced, dolby vision works fine when set to player led but hdr only works when set to forced? Seems odd to me, is that what others are doing?
What's your HDMI path between the output of the player and the input to the TV? The Sonys are a bit odd in that they lack the processing power for DV themselves, hence they have to let the player do that part of the processing. This is why you need to turn on Player Led.

Also: Have you turned on Enhanced Mode for the relevant HDMI input on the TV?

Last edited:
Hi, The path is from the BD to the Amp (Arcam 550) and yes I have enhanced mode ticked on the TV, DV works flawlessly its the std HDR that won't.

Hi, The path is from the BD to the Amp (Arcam 550) and yes I have enhanced mode ticked on the TV, DV works flawlessly its the std HDR that won't.
First thing I would try is connecting the Oppo directly to the TV, this will allow you to check if the problem is being caused by the Arcam.

I have a multi region oppo 203 bought from peter tyson last christmas.
So today, i thought i would try an old region 1 dvd of terminator, and of course it would not play! My tv just says wrong code. I tried the jvbdigital instructions several times, but no, wrong code!
Anybody else had these problems?

I have a multi region oppo 203 bought from peter tyson last christmas.
So today, i thought i would try an old region 1 dvd of terminator, and of course it would not play! My tv just says wrong code. I tried the jvbdigital instructions several times, but no, wrong code!
Anybody else had these problems?

No problems for DVD's. You simply burn yourself a "superdisc", stick it in and your good to go multi-region. It's Blu-ray's that are more involved (chip mod). Here's the Oppo link. Works exactly the same for the 203/205.

Thanks for that. A bit annoying though when i bought multi region, and it doesn't do multi region!

@pocketsleo I think that you will find the multi region player mods are just for Blu Ray's not DVD's which as described above can be played in the 203 or 205 without any modification. :)

Thanks for that. A bit annoying though when i bought multi region, and it doesn't do multi region!
If your Oppo 203 has the DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-MUTE multi-zone mod (like mine), then it also has a DVD Region Switching function. It works like the Blu-ray zone change, but uses the sequence DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-PURE AUDIO instead of DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-MUTE. You can switch between Regions 1 to 6 by pressing the relevant number key on the remote, or to make your Oppo permanently region-free (for DVDs), just enter 0. I'm surprised your dealer didn't set it up that way. Perhaps he also forgot to include the simple one-page Operating Instructions. :)

OPPO have never officially manufactured, advertised or sold their players as being 'multi-region' capable! Where did you buy your player from?

hi guys , i will happy for some advice ...
i have oppo 203 and for next year i am renting apartmant until my new house will be finshied
and i will build also hometheater ... my question is if to sell now the player and find new one ( maybe there will be a new player ) next year ?
anyone know if there will be better player ?
also i see that oppo 203 cost more than 2000$ and even more ? i that case the device becoming vintage player ...
i will happy for some advice .. tnks so much

hi guys , i will happy for some advice ...
i have oppo 203 and for next year i am renting apartmant until my new house will be finshied
and i will build also hometheater ... my question is if to sell now the player and find new one ( maybe there will be a new player ) next year ?
anyone know if there will be better player ?
also i see that oppo 203 cost more than 2000$ and even more ? i that case the device becoming vintage player ...
i will happy for some advice .. tnks so much
Just my opinion, but you’re bloody mental if you get rid of your 203. As far as I’m concerned, with my limited knowledge at least, there is still nothing to touch it. No way in hell would I get rid of mine!

If your Oppo 203 has the DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-MUTE multi-zone mod (like mine), then it also has a DVD Region Switching function. It works like the Blu-ray zone change, but uses the sequence DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-PURE AUDIO instead of DIMMER-DIMMER-DIMMER-MUTE. You can switch between Regions 1 to 6 by pressing the relevant number key on the remote, or to make your Oppo permanently region-free (for DVDs), just enter 0. I'm surprised your dealer didn't set it up that way. Perhaps he also forgot to include the simple one-page Operating Instructions. :)
Yes, thats the one i have, and they did include the instructions, but it still doesn't bloody work!!!

Isn't there something about not trying to change the region if the disc is in the drive?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom