OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Hey Guys, I have a question regarding Network connection for my Oppo 205 Blu-ray player. In the Network menu when I do a Search, the player correctly finds the desktop computer I am using for my music and other media files; but when I try to access the computer, Oppo asks for a UserID and a Password for access. Does anybody know what Oppo is asking for? I've entered my UserID and Password I am using for the computer, and it didn't work. I have tried as many combinations of possible access info, none of them worked. I tried my WiFi routers password, and that didn't work either. So I am at a loss now, and I can't listen to music files or watch my photos. Please help!

Hey Guys, I have a question regarding Network connection for my Oppo 205 Blu-ray player. In the Network menu when I do a Search, the player correctly finds the desktop computer I am using for my music and other media files; but when I try to access the computer, Oppo asks for a UserID and a Password for access. Does anybody know what Oppo is asking for? I've entered my UserID and Password I am using for the computer, and it didn't work. I have tried as many combinations of possible access info, none of them worked. I tried my WiFi routers password, and that didn't work either. So I am at a loss now, and I can't listen to music files or watch my photos. Please help!
If you are using Windows, what version is it?
If Windows, it's possibly asking for the homegroup userid and password.

Last edited:
It’s asking for the computers username / password for the file share you’re connecting to. Issue map be that if it’s Win10 etc the pc may use a more modern / secure SMB version than Oppo supports. If so go to settings and add the SMB v1 feature and that should fix it.

It’s asking for the computers username / password for the file share you’re connecting to. Issue map be that if it’s Win10 etc the pc may use a more modern / secure SMB version than Oppo supports. If so go to settings and add the SMB v1 feature and that should fix it.
My desktop is a Windows 10 Home version. I searched the Settings but could not find the SMB. Could you be more specific; where in seetings, should be looking for the SMB version? Thank you.

Add the feature, Google is your friend :-

Run command ‘optionalfeatures’ and pick smbv1 in your case pick server feature (so you can share using smbv1) not client

Upgraded my OPPO 203 recently.

Now has a OPPOMOD LPM SE power supply, Aluminium BD-ROM Stabiliser and upgrade IEC Socket.

OPPOMOD

Now has a OPPOMOD LPM SE power supply, Aluminium BD-ROM Stabiliser and upgrade IEC Socket.

OPPOMOD
From their website: “UDP-203/205 LPM - $280 The LPM offers significantly enhanced audio and video performance over the standard switch mode power supplies. You will notice the improvement instantly, and with 100 hours burn-in its true ability will come out.”

Seems quite a bold claim. Anyone else installed this?

OPPOMOD
Have you noticed any improvements? I might be tempted.

Have you noticed any improvements? I might be tempted.

I have a feeling this 'upgrade' has been mentioned before and dismissed. Search back through this topic. Given the quality of the components Oppo used I'd be amazed if there was a 'significant' improvement in sound quality.

I have a feeling this 'upgrade' has been mentioned before and dismissed. Search back through this topic. Given the quality of the components Oppo used I'd be amazed if there was a 'significant' improvement in sound quality.
Thanks. Indeed, that’s why I questioned it. Wonder how much is placebo.

Thanks. Indeed, that’s why I questioned it. Wonder how much is placebo.

Having been into hi-fi since the 70s I've seen an awful lot of tripe about supposed enhancements to sound quality. From placing a brick on top of an amplifier to using standard house electrical cable in place of quality speaker cable. None made any appreciable difference.

The cheapest most effective sound improvement was spiked speaker stands and they made a hell of a difference in quality, placement of sounds and a general tightening up of the sound. And they cost me around £60 back in the 80s.

I'm not accusing anyone of making false claims but this supposed improvement by changing components is difficult to accept. I suppose you'll hear what you want to hear and all relative to the amount you've spent.

OPPOMOD

That link only lists a Panasonic player. No mention of Oppo. 🤔

It's the next item(s) below the Panasonic if you scroll down.

I will respond more later just popped out of a meeting.

It's the next item(s) below the Panasonic if you scroll down.

I will respond more later just popped out of a meeting.

My mistake, thanks. The supplied Oppo power supply would have to be bloody awful for a replacement to sound so much better. Given the cost - £600 - I can't see that being the case.

From their website: “UDP-203/205 LPM - $280 The LPM offers significantly enhanced audio and video performance over the standard switch mode power supplies. You will notice the improvement instantly, and with 100 hours burn-in its true ability will come out.”

Seems quite a bold claim. Anyone else installed this?
I had a PS mod in one of my OPPO 103D, and after multipe Hifi meets where we tested the standard vs moddet, the original swich mode was re installed.
So there is times where a good swich mode just works better than a linear PS, and from my experience most of the ps and recap buisness is mostly destroying more than it do good.

Why am I getting the Dolby vision acknowledgement on screen for non Dolby vision blu-ray‘s, it never used to do this before on my LG OLED B6. Any particular settings need looking at on my Oppo 203?

Why am I getting the Dolby vision acknowledgement on screen for non Dolby vision blu-ray‘s, it never used to do this before on my LG OLED B6. Any particular settings need looking at on my Oppo 203?
sounds like you are forcing dv,.whats the tv now.

Settings->Video Output Setup->HDR Settings->Dolby Vision (should have anything else to NOT get always Dolby Vision)

I have a query with watching 1080p movies on my oppo! I have an LG OLED E9 tv, and I think if I can remember, when I plugged in the oppo, a notification came up on the tv about enhancing the screen or something. Now when I play 4k movies, everything looks good. When I play 1080p movies( which are SDR) , the movies look washed out and have a brown tinge to them? what settings do i need on the oppo? Do I need to change the tv settings on the lg tv as well?

just think it would be a bit annoying if I have to keep turning HDR or enhanced mode on the tv or whatever it was, everytime i would want to watch a SDR movie, thanks!

I have a query with watching 1080p movies on my oppo! I have an LG OLED E9 tv, and I think if I can remember, when I plugged in the oppo, a notification came up on the tv about enhancing the screen or something. Now when I play 4k movies, everything looks good. When I play 1080p movies( which are SDR) , the movies look washed out and have a brown tinge to them? what settings do i need on the oppo? Do I need to change the tv settings on the lg tv as well?

just think it would be a bit annoying if I have to keep turning HDR or enhanced mode on the tv or whatever it was, everytime i would want to watch a SDR movie, thanks!
That would be the standard notification to allow UHD deep colour to be set on that HDMI port. You can't view UHD without it. It shouldn't affect SDR picture. Check you have black level: LOW set in your SDR viewing modes on the LG. If on high you would get washed out looking picture. Don't know re the brown tinge. What E9 viewing mode(s) are you using for SDR?

Last edited:

What setting do you currently have on your Oppo for HDR?
Take a look at my previous response above post-27675115

Thankyou for replying @felixlo and @doug56hl, unfortunately I'm away from home atm and won't be able to check for the time being. I'll let you know you guys know soon.

You're upscaling the 1080P to 4K in the player, I would guess. It sounds like you might be applying a Rec.2020 colourspace to the 4K SDR signal instead of Rec.709. I don't know the LG, but I assume that if you play a Blu-ray and set the colourspace to Rec.709 it should remember that for non-HDR content in future.

Alternatively, you could put the Oppo in Source Direct mode and let the TV handle the upscaling. The gives better results on my Panasonic OLED than letting the Oppo scale it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom