OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

I plan to get a new TV later this year possibly the new LG CX.

I have a question about hdmi 2.1 and e-arc.

If I was to connect the 203 straight to the new TV that supports e-arc and use this connection to my receiver would I get the lossless sound formats like DTS HD and so on?

I have the Yamaha ysp2700.

I currently connect everything to this but I may connect all my devices straight to tv on the new one and use ARC.

Im unsure if my receiver would need to be e-arc ready as well?

I plan to get a new TV later this year possibly the new LG CX.

I have a question about hdmi 2.1 and e-arc.

If I was to connect the 203 straight to the new TV that supports e-arc and use this connection to my receiver would I get the lossless sound formats like DTS HD and so on?

I have the Yamaha ysp2700.

I currently connect everything to this but I may connect all my devices straight to tv on the new one and use ARC.

Im unsure if my receiver would need to be e-arc ready as well?
No, in order to use eARC and the capability to pass HD soundtracks, both bits of kit need to be eARC compatible. You could obviously still connect your 203 to the TV and the receiver simultaneously with the 2 HDMI outs and get HD soundtracks to the receiver though.

No, in order to use eARC and the capability to pass HD soundtracks, both bits of kit need to be eARC compatible. You could obviously still connect your 203 to the TV and the receiver simultaneously with the 2 HDMI outs and get HD soundtracks to the receiver though.

Thanks, that's what I thought, will have to do the 2 hdmi method then when time comes, as I want to make use of the arc function, not planning to update my receiver yet, don't think many soundbars or receivers even have hdmi 2.1 either.

I have an LG B6 and the best setting on the Oppo 203 is Source Direct as @steverobertsbbc above says.

I use 4:2:2 and auto I think with my B6, I remember trying source direct and couldn’t notice any difference, although saying that with DVD using source direct the picture looked worse, so I switched back to what I mentioned.
Rarely watch dvds now days though so not a big issue.

Does anyone know if Oppo has any plans for a newer firmware version, or is 65 the last one we'll see?
It's been almost a year since 65 was released and I couldn't find any info about any new beta version either.
I'm beginning to wonder...

Does anyone know if Oppo has any plans for a newer firmware version, or is 65 the last one we'll see?
It's been almost a year since 65 was released and I couldn't find any info about any new beta version either.
I'm beginning to wonder...
I'm sure if it needed a update it would get it,but it's been stable for good while now,do you have a issue with the player.

I'm sure if it needed a update it would get it,but it's been stable for good while now,do you have a issue with the player.
I don't own one, at least not yet.
I'm contemplating on buying one out of the small lot that's still available out there.

But there are still open bugs on the media player side of things, such as the one where playing a file with a non-Dolby audio track (i.e. DTS, DTS-HD MA/HR, etc.) and then trying to play one with a Dolby TrueHD track results in no sound for the file with TrueHD audio track.
Workaround is to play something with Dolby Digital (either a second audio track from the same file or another file) and then revert back to the TrueHD track and it plays fine.

That's one of them, not sure if there are others.

But I guess Oppo doesn't invest too much time in the media player part of their player.

I don't own one, at least not yet.
I'm contemplating on buying one out of the small lot that's still available out there.

But there are still open bugs on the media player side of things, such as the one where playing a file with a non-Dolby audio track (i.e. DTS, DTS-HD MA/HR, etc.) and then trying to play one with a Dolby TrueHD track results in no sound for the file with TrueHD audio track.
Workaround is to play something with Dolby Digital (either a second audio track from the same file or another file) and then revert back to the TrueHD track and it plays fine.

That's one of them, not sure if there are others.

But I guess Oppo doesn't invest too much time in the media player part of their player.
ok,i use it for discs and stream audio from a nas,you could always ask support about it.

I decided to try a test given the sonic abilities of this player. I dug out some old AudioQuest RCA cables and connected them to the Yamaha RX-A3010. Music is all FLAC on a USB external drive connected to the rear USB socket.

Initially it was hard to hear a difference between the HDMI Audio connection and the analogue. But having spent several hours listening I now prefer the DAC on the Oppo to the Yamaha. It is worth experimenting if you have a spare pair of interconnects.

I decided to try a test given the sonic abilities of this player. I dug out some old AudioQuest RCA cables and connected them to the Yamaha RX-A3010. Music is all FLAC on a USB external drive connected to the rear USB socket.

Initially it was hard to hear a difference between the HDMI Audio connection and the analogue. But having spent several hours listening I now prefer the DAC on the Oppo to the Yamaha. It is worth experimenting if you have a spare pair of interconnects.
how do you listen ray,with sub,pure direct etc.

Pure Direct. On the Oppo there is a Pure Audio option that kills the display but haven't noticed any difference with that. But Pure Direct on the amp does improve the sound.

I only have the two B&W CM4s for stereo music. Sub is excluded but for those with small satellite speakers you would have to compromise and include the sub. So Pure Direct would not be an option.

i have some rca cables around must hook them up and try it out.

@kahlua , I'll be interested in your findings. Because my RCAs are only just long enough and are 30 years old (Audioquest) I'm considering a longer pair. Any recommendations? I spole to Richer Sounds today about Chord and I thought they would recommend these C-Line but instead they suggested the Shawline. Crikey, not sure I'm ready to aprt with that much. Thoughts?

@kahlua , I'll be interested in your findings. Because my RCAs are only just long enough and are 30 years old (Audioquest) I'm considering a longer pair. Any recommendations? I spole to Richer Sounds today about Chord and I thought they would recommend these C-Line but instead they suggested the Shawline. Crikey, not sure I'm ready to aprt with that much. Thoughts?
will let you no,not a believer in high end,expensive cables,think its van dam cables i have.

will let you no,not a believer in high end,expensive cables,think its van dam cables i have.
Do you have your Kef R200s stand mounted and away from walls? What HiFi liked them but keeping them clear of walls improved the sound.

Van Damm are well respected and similar in cost to Chord’s mid range stuff. The law of diminishing returns kicks in!

Have you worked out the lengths you require?

Mark Grant make some very good cables, use them myself.

B6 here as well, with source direct do you leave everything else at Auto, I gather this overrides the custom resolution setting as well?

Yes I leave everything on auto except Source Direct and I have no problems, but saying that I don't play any DVD's so I cannot comment about them. For Blu Ray's and Blu Ray UHD's everything is fine. :)

Yes I leave everything on auto except Source Direct and I have no problems, but saying that I don't play any DVD's so I cannot comment about them. For Blu Ray's and Blu Ray UHD's everything is fine. :)

Cool cheers.

Mine are for the main settings, i think the custom setting (uhd auto) is overridden with source direct so that doesn't matter.

Source direct
UHD AUTO
AUTO
AUTO

I don't watch DVD either but do remember it looking worse with source direct.

Word is this is caused by the MediaTek SoC code and cannot be fixed solely by Oppo. It needs fixed code from MediaTek and that won't happen 99.9% likelihood.

A year after 65-0131 it starts to look like we won't get any feature updates or even current feature bug fixes but hopefully we will see one or two updates solving disc compatibility issues. I haven't tried yet my copy of Daniel Craig UHD boxset but I have read there has been issues with those discs.

I have a problem with my 203. I use it quite a bit to play blu ray audio discs, and haven't had a problem, up until now... I bought an old favourite 'Fly By Night' by Rush, hadn't realised there was a 5.1 mix on there! Anyway, when I play either of the surround sound mixes, it cuts off the first couple of seconds of each track. I've tried going back, playing the tracks seperately, all to no avail. The stereo mix plays perfectly. Anyone any ideas as to what I might try to rectify this? My Oppo is connected to an Onkyo TX NR686. Thanks in advance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom