OPPO UDP-203 4K ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

Good choice for your setup and needs. Oppo UDP 203 really is a great player for music, just a pity they stopped making UHD player's. Guess it is a niche market these days not very profitable for Oppo to continue.
Before the Oppo I had an Arcam DV79 which was only a DVD player. I considered the Oppo 9x players but with only a 1024*720 plasma display I felt moving to blu-Ray would not give me a big improvement in PQ.

That changed in 2016 when I bought a 4K OLED. I seem to be cursed as Loewe went under last year. :( But that TV meant I needed a suitable player so I went for Oppo. Seems I’m double-cursed!:love:

I do research my purchases so my judgement appears to be sound. Just bad luck I guess. If you have shares in Bluesound it might be an idea to sell them. :D

You should write reviews for What Hi-Fi. ;) Over the 40 years I’ve had hi-fi I’ve tried various interconnects and the difference is very subtle. I ended up with Chord Clearway which I’m pleased with. Strange how your interconnects rust. Do you live near the coast?
I'm no expert just try and get the best sound quality out of my setup and equipment as everyone else does on here. Was a Mod on Oppo's subsidiary OnePlus site year's ago when the first OnePlus phone came out.

Yeah it was strange it started to rust. I don't live near the coast, it probably was just a bad batch though I've heard of it happening to other people. Not just with Chord silver plated RCA interconnects other brand's too.

Before the Oppo I had an Arcam DV79 which was only a DVD player. I considered the Oppo 9x players but with only a 1024*720 plasma display I felt moving to blu-Ray would not give me a big improvement in PQ.

That changed in 2016 when I bought a 4K OLED. I seem to be cursed as Loewe went under last year. :( But that TV meant I needed a suitable player so I went for Oppo. Seems I’m double-cursed!:love:

I do research my purchases so my judgement appears to be sound. Just bad luck I guess. If you have shares in Bluesound it might be an idea to sell them. :D
At least the resale value of the Oppo UDP 203 is very high, some people selling them for more than they originally paid. I've still got a Oppo BDP 103 blu ray player boxed up in the cupboard, tempted to sell it but keeping it for fond memories.

I'm no expert just try and get the best sound quality out of my setup and equipment as everyone else does on here. Was a Mod on Oppo's subsidiary OnePlus site year's ago when the first OnePlus phone came out.

Yeah it was strange it started to rust. I don't live near the coast, it probably was just a bad batch though I've heard of it happening to other people. Not just with Chord silver plated RCA interconnects other brand's too.
Rusty silver is actually a better electrical conductor than when not rusty, not very pretty though.

At least the resale value of the Oppo UDP 203 is very high, some people selling them for more than they originally paid. I've still got a Oppo BDP 103 blu ray player boxed up in the cupboard, tempted to sell it but keeping it for fond memories.
Unless there is something significantly better then I’ll hang on to it. I have an Audiolab 8000c/p pre/power amp in the loft. The proper one - made in the U.K. Been there 20 years. Should have sold it I suppose but couldn’t bring myself to.

Dear All,
as a newbie in this thread I would appreciate feedback from 203 owners who successfully used the Oppo to deliver Auro3D signals to a preamp or receiver. I used the 203 for years in my stereo system, but lately expanded my setup to 4.5 (Front left/right, Front Top l/r, back l/r back Top l/r, VOG).
A Lyngdorf MP-50 multichannel preamp is connected to the audio HDMI socket on the Oppo.
If I use an Auro3D bluray, I will not get any signal from the top speakers and no Auro3d logo appears on the preamp. Atmos works fine. Any idea where to look for? I use bitstream and second audio is off.
thanks for any idea.
best
manfred

Dear All,
as a newbie in this thread I would appreciate feedback from 203 owners who successfully used the Oppo to deliver Auro3D signals to a preamp or receiver. I used the 203 for years in my stereo system, but lately expanded my setup to 4.5 (Front left/right, Front Top l/r, back l/r back Top l/r, VOG).
A Lyngdorf MP-50 multichannel preamp is connected to the audio HDMI socket on the Oppo.
If I use an Auro3D bluray, I will not get any signal from the top speakers and no Auro3d logo appears on the preamp. Atmos works fine. Any idea where to look for? I use bitstream and second audio is off.
thanks for any idea.
best
manfred
Hello Manfred,

While I do have an Oppo 203, I do not have an AVR/processor that "knows" Auro3D nor knowing if any of my Blu-Ray discs have Auro3D (BTW, which title did you used, please?), I could suggest you to get some demo samples to test the Auro3D (here I'm hoping that those too exists, as they are for Atmos and DTS:X), and you can "play" them via your Oppo from an USB stick/drive.
If those demo samples will not do what is supposed to, then I would suggest to try the exact same way with all other audio-3D formats (Atmos and DTS:X), and if those two are working well, then maybe there's something else that do not allow you to enjoy the Auro3D too. And then I would suggest you be sure your Oppo and AVR/processor have the latest firmware installed, and that your AVR/processor indeed support ("knows") this format (I'm guessing that this is why you purchase it, but still, double check with the seller/producer).

Also a good try is to play those samples directly on the AVR/processor if there's also an USB port for playing media.

Hope this helps!

Hello Felix,
thanks for your fast feedback. I have made sure that I installed the latest firmware on both the Oppo and the Lyngdorf yesterday. I tested two auro3D bluerays. The first one is the auro3D demo bluray (volume 2) and the second is the movie Passengers (English track is Auro 5.1). Especially the demo disc does contain infos for the height speakers as I heard it on a different setup from a dealer. The Oppo distributor in Germany also confirmed explicitly that the Oppo 203 is capable of Auro3D transmission. The Lyngdorf MP-50 is also stated explicitly as Auro3D capable. I also made sure that I use the correct settings on the Oppo according to the dealer.
If it were only for not being able to play native Auro3D sources, I might accept that as such movies are rare. What I do not want to accept is that using the Auromatic will result in strange effects such as:
When playing the auro3D demo bluray and activating the Auromatic, all channels will fall silent and I have to switch of the processor and restart before even getting the 5.1 signal back.
When I use a 5.1 signal from my Panasonic TV via ARC and HDMI, I get a strongly distorted and very loud sound on all channels. Thus, even the Auromatic does not work which make me believe that there is a bug in the Lyngdorf, especially as in a German home cinema forum similar effects have been reported for this device which seem to be unresolved. Let's see what the Lyngdorf dealer has to say.
Best regards
Manfred

... as a newbie in this thread I would appreciate feedback from 203 owners who successfully used the Oppo to deliver Auro3D signals to a preamp or receiver.
This reminds me of a PM I received not so long ago from somebody trying to play a 'Pure Audio' Blu-ray disc encoded with 9.1 Auro-3D.

Yes, the OPPO's are capable of sending multi-channel Auro-3D as a digital bit-stream via HDMI. Much like it can with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.

Although the digital bit-stream needs to be processed by a device that supports Auro-3D decoding. Which can be done using various makes and models of AVR such as some of the Marantz and Denon's.

So yes, I would expect your very expensive Lyngdorf MP-50 to be able to decode Auro-3D audio bit-streamed via HDMI too...

Last edited:
Hello Felix,
thanks for your fast feedback. I have made sure that I installed the latest firmware on both the Oppo and the Lyngdorf yesterday. I tested two auro3D bluerays. The first one is the auro3D demo bluray (volume 2) and the second is the movie Passengers (English track is Auro 5.1). Especially the demo disc does contain infos for the height speakers as I heard it on a different setup from a dealer. The Oppo distributor in Germany also confirmed explicitly that the Oppo 203 is capable of Auro3D transmission. The Lyngdorf MP-50 is also stated explicitly as Auro3D capable. I also made sure that I use the correct settings on the Oppo according to the dealer.
If it were only for not being able to play native Auro3D sources, I might accept that as such movies are rare. What I do not want to accept is that using the Auromatic will result in strange effects such as:
When playing the auro3D demo bluray and activating the Auromatic, all channels will fall silent and I have to switch of the processor and restart before even getting the 5.1 signal back.
When I use a 5.1 signal from my Panasonic TV via ARC and HDMI, I get a strongly distorted and very loud sound on all channels. Thus, even the Auromatic does not work which make me believe that there is a bug in the Lyngdorf, especially as in a German home cinema forum similar effects have been reported for this device which seem to be unresolved. Let's see what the Lyngdorf dealer has to say.
Best regards
Manfred
Well, it seems that indeed you have something bad/defective there.
If I were you I would try to "localize" the issue/problem doing as follows:
- remove all and any sources connected to the AVR/processor, leaving it only with the speakers (ampifiers?) connections - ESPECIALLY the TV with its ARC
- I would try to play some demo FILES (not disc or streaming) from the device USB, with the app that I saw it has controll capabilities
- I would also disable any and all ARC and CEC or whatever other names could have on the AVR/processor

If this test also gets bad results, then I would say most likely there's somethin defective in the unit itself

Just as a curiosity and to have the full image, this equipment is just a processor, right, and does not have amplification which is made by "added on" amplifs, right? Could you sahre with me/us what amplifs you paired this with? And maybe how much was this cost? ;)

Although the OPPO's can pass Auro-3D as a bit-stream, it needs to be processed by a device that supports Auro-3D decoding (usually within an AVR), such as some of the Marantz and Denon AVR's...
Previously I owned an OPPO UDP-203. At present I’m the owner of a Cambridge Audio CXUHD, which is pretty similar to OPPO UDP-203. My CA CXUHD conveys Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D signals to a Marantz SR 7013 AV receiver and the results look like in the attached photos.

Attachments

• 2. DolbyAtmos.jpg
    2. DolbyAtmos.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 3. Auro3D.jpg
    3. Auro3D.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 90
thanks; will try to strip off as much as I can...

Just as a curiosity and to have the full image, this equipment is just a processor, right, and does not have amplification which is made by "added on" amplifs, right? Could you sahre with me/us what amplifs you paired this with? And maybe how much was this cost? ;)

The Lyngdorf MP-50 is a pure processor without any amps. It drives two Neumann KH-420 as main speakers, four Neumann KH-750 subs and for surround seven Neumann KH-80 and two Elac‘s for rear back surround. The list price for the Lyngdorf is about 14.000€, one KH-420 is appr. 3500€, one sub is ~1100€, KH-80 ~400€, Elac was ~500€. All speakers are active, so no amps, but a collective ~3000 Watts (not that this would be important, but sometimes the effortlessness at high levels is nice.)
I got the Lyngdorf for about half the price with one year warranty...

WHAU
thanks; will try to strip off as much as I can...

The Lyngdorf MP-50 is a pure processor without any amps. It drives two Neumann KH-420 as main speakers, four Neumann KH-750 subs and for surround seven Neumann KH-80 and two Elac‘s for rear back surround. The list price for the Lyngdorf is about 14.000€, one KH-420 is appr. 3500€, one sub is ~1100€, KH-80 ~400€, Elac was ~500€. All speakers are active, so no amps, but a collective ~3000 Watts (not that this would be important, but sometimes the effortlessness at high levels is nice.)
I got the Lyngdorf for about half the price with one year warranty...

WHAU! 🤯
If I made the calculation correctly, you have there equipment of about 22 thousands euros, right? And this is I presume just for audio... and after this to have such issues, I can see how annoying could be!

WHAU! indeed!

I have a problem with my 203 which I'm hoping might be fixed by reapplying the last firmware update today and resetting to factory defaults deleting account and settings.

I don't use the player every day but when I want to play a movie the player will respond to the On and Tray Open commands. After putting a disk in I press the Tray hard button to close it but it doesn't respond. It will turn on/off using the hard power button though.

I'm hoping this is just a glitch and maybe I forgot to reset to factory settings when I last applied the firmware update.

I should add that if I remove the power lead and reattach it everything works okay but obviously I don't want to have to do that every couple of days. Have any others had a similar problem?

I have a problem with my 203 which I'm hoping might be fixed by reapplying the last firmware update today and resetting to factory defaults deleting account and settings.

I don't use the player every day but when I want to play a movie the player will respond to the On and Tray Open commands. After putting a disk in I press the Tray hard button to close it but it doesn't respond. It will turn on/off using the hard power button though.

I'm hoping this is just a glitch and maybe I forgot to reset to factory settings when I last applied the firmware update.

I should add that if I remove the power lead and reattach it everything works okay but obviously I don't want to have to do that every couple of days. Have any others had a similar problem?
If you press open/close on the remote does it close, then?

If not, then when you do press close can you hear the motor straining by any chance as mine was acting up a few months ago as the tray opened but would not close and I had to push it to close half way then it closed. I brought a tighter belt for it and repaired it, now works better than new.

Do any of you guys use the HDMI input as a long story short, I own a Marantz AV8801 processer and it can’t pass HDMI 2.0 what I need for my PC, so I been using my sound card in Dolby live, but as with windows the latest update as again broken it, so I hooked my PC up to my Oppo HDMI input as I tried this last year before the last update and the lag was out of the roof, but I tested last night and to my surprise using HDMI bypass seemed to have zero lag and audio was in sync, great stuff.

So, just wondering if anyone is using the HDMI input and is there any negatives or as Oppo fixed all the problems.

Do any of you guys use the HDMI input as a long story short, I own a Marantz AV8801 processer and it can’t pass HDMI 2.0 what I need for my PC, so I been using my sound card in Dolby live, but as with windows the latest update as again broken it...
Out of interest... what make/model of video/graphics card is in our PC? If it's old it might not be able to 'bit-stream' certain audio format types via HDMI.

It’s a RTX 2080, its outputting multi-channel PCM.
What content are you sending/playing on your PC that your AVR can't understand?

What content are you sending/playing on your PC that your AVR can't understand?
No, nothing wrong with anything really, just that I asked if anyone are using the HDMI input as last I used it without the last update using it for gaming had a massive lag, but now as I never bothered to try it again since I updated to the last update when ever that was the massive lag as gone, which for me is great

My Processor does not have HDMI 2.0 pass through, so I can’t use 4K at 60fps at 4:4:4 or full RGB as the processor is 1.4, hence me using optical from my sound card to processor with Dolby live.

If you press open/close on the remote does it close, then?

If not, then when you do press close can you hear the motor straining by any chance as mine was acting up a few months ago as the tray opened but would not close and I had to push it to close half way then it closed. I brought a tighter belt for it and repaired it, now works better than new.

From memory it opened okay but wouldn't close. I wasn't aware of any noise but I'm going to have to wait until it happens again and check then. If it does happen then I'll come back for some guidance. Bit galling to have to repair something only used lightly over a few years.

But why would disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable clear the problem?

From memory it opened okay but wouldn't close. I wasn't aware of any noise but I'm going to have to wait until it happens again and check then. If it does happen then I'll come back for some guidance. Bit galling to have to repair something only used lightly over a few years.

But why would disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable clear the problem?
Hi Ray

When reconnecting power you may cause just enough stress to the player that the tray shuts on its own, the only way to know if it’s the player itself or the drive would be to push the tray half way when it happens again, then the player should have enough power to close the tray on its own, if by pushing the tray halfway and it still stays there and does nothing would indicate a hardware problem.

I will admit, I use my OPPO everyday mostly, but not the drive. Only watch a handful of films and my drive dried out of grease and my belt was loose, so no idea how that happened.

Let us know when it happens again, but hopefully it don’t.

My 203 is a few years old and only been used to watch about 2 BD movies a week and it works fine, no issues with the tray opening or closing.

My 203 is a few years old and only been used to watch about 2 BD movies a week and it works fine, no issues with the tray opening or closing.
As you would expect it to irrespective of price. I had an Arcam DV79 for over 12 years and it never had this problem.

Just tried mine and tray opened and closed without issue. But it’s after two days of no use the problem would start.

Hi all.

I'm hoping someone on here can answer this question to prevent me going around in circles.
Basically, I am running a 2 channel set up with two subwoofers and wanted to know if the 203 can successfully downmix multichannel audio from either a BD or via the Nvidia shield running a Plex server with MKV files.
How do I get the 203 to downmix to 2.1?

Might seem like a trivial question to you guys but I have another thread running where definitive info is sketchy at best.

Was going to buy a Marantz NR1510 to do all the decoding/downmixing but if my OPPO 203 can already do it then it's pointless spending any more cash than I have to! :)

Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

Mike.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom