Question Optical cable

Edgie70

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all , just bought a new Samsung curved TV and I have a soundbar that I'm going to connect via optical cable , I already have an optical cable but it's one of them curly thin ones , I'm thinking of buying a thicker cable ( similar diameter to a coaxial cable ) is there any benefit of a thicker cable or is the thin curly cable ok ??? Thank you , Dave

No benefit - they either work or they don't

As we talking about cables, here, I want to drop my question. Years now (3 I think) I do have optical conection from PC & TV to my amplifier. The pantent is SPDIF (Sony-Philips Multimedia Inerface) wich to some devices you meet coaxial rca, thats also an transfer caled SPDIF. And now I ask all the wise guys with knowledge. HDMI or Optical is best for highest quality and resolution?Just tell me and explain please

As we talk about optical cable I have a question. Which is better? Optical or HDMI?I use SPDIF (Sony-Philips Multimedia Interface) 3 years now and I trust it from my PC and TV to my amplifier. Both are digital. Guys tell me please.

If you want HD audio (DTS Master and other uncompressed soundtracks) these can only be conveyed by HDMI as optical/coaxial do not have sufficient bandwidth.

What I want is Spotify from my pc to sent it without loss of signal. Also I want dolby surround with quality in the movies. I cant figure it out the reason how spdif has low bandwith with all this channels

As John7 says HDMI has the greater 'potential' and is the only option if you wish to pass HD or uncompressed Immersive audio to your Sound system.

Will you actually 'hear' a difference between HD and non-HD formats on your system is another matter.

Joe

As we talk about optical cable I have a question. Which is better? Optical or HDMI?I use SPDIF (Sony-Philips Multimedia Interface) 3 years now and I trust it from my PC and TV to my amplifier. Both are digital. Guys tell me please.

S/Pdif is restricted to max 5.1 channels for Dolby Digital or DTS compressed content. Lossless PCM has a max of two channels stereo (2.0). In addition to lossless HD audio hdmi adds lossless multichannel lpcm. If you are using a decent AV receiver rather than a TV or Stereo only amplifier HDMI is much superior given decent speakers.

As John7 says HDMI has the greater 'potential' and is the only option if you wish to pass HD or uncompressed Immersive audio to your Sound system.

Will you actually 'hear' a difference between HD and non-HD formats on your system is another matter.

Joe
Thank You

S/Pdif is restricted to max 5.1 channels for Dolby Digital or DTS compressed content. Lossless PCM has a max of two channels stereo (2.0). In addition to lossless HD audio hdmi adds lossless multichannel lpcm. If you are using a decent AV receiver rather than a TV or Stereo only amplifier HDMI is much superior given decent speakers.
So I will plug it and pray that I will feel some change. Now with the optical setup its good from me. Talk to you tommorow. Oh shit I have only one HDMI at my PC and it is reserved for image to my TV

Last edited:
Wondering if my PC go to hell

So I will plug it and pray that I will feel some change. Now with the optical setup its good from me. Talk to you tommorow. Oh sh*t I have only one HDMI at my PC and it is reserved for image to my TV

First we knew you were using a PC as source :(. More information you omitted is what you are using to provide the audio. That introduces a whole new set of complications,

What source are you using to play back and what audio tracks are included ?

Open a file you are playing using MediaInfo, select tree view and export the dasta to a text file.

MediaInfo - Download

Without this info we have to guess you may be using a blu-ray source with HD audio tracks.

How can anyone be expected to comment without knowing what your video source has as a audio source ?

Ok my friend, you 're right, I didnt inform you what is my setup, my source and details the system etc. I watch movies and serials from my smart TV with NETFLIX and there is optical from my LG TV
to amp. Either my PC is connected to amp by SPDIF in order to play songs from Spotify. I work always pure digital and Hi End result.

I called my local friend tech freak to ask him wich is better for Spotify to connect the PC to amp , optical or wired. And he told me optical for sure. Is he wrong?

Discovered that my smart TV plays Spotify better then my even old Computer(2013)

Last edited:
I called my local friend tech freak to ask him wich is better for Spotify to connect the PC to amp , optical or wired. And he told me optical for sure. Is he wrong?

Depends what you mean by wired, if you mean analogue audio the quality will depend on whether the Amp or the PC has the best DAC (Digital Analogue Converter). If it's a decent AV receiver the chances are the amp will make a better job of the conversion so optical should in theory sound a bit better. Why not try both, doubt you will notice any difference ?

So your friend may be right but could also be wrong :)

Spotify isn't a high bitrate high quality source so even a high quality expensive external DAC won't make a silk purse out of a sows ear :(

Best DACs

There should be no difference at all between coaxial or optical S/PDIF interconnects. As it's digital both will work exactly the same.

Whire I mean HDMI not RCA (Radio Corporation of America) wich is 100 years old technique
Anyway. Spotify maybe have not the highest bit-rate but it is decent

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom