Optoma UHZ65UST Owners

Fellow owners, has anyone managed to work out how to get Alexa to turn the projector on? I keep seeing reviews mentioning this is possible but have not seen anywhere obvious to enable this....
Hey bud, i cant check how it works as its not arrived yet but i just went into the amazon Alexa app and if you search skills there is one for optoma, you will need to enable that which will take you to your optoma account which will have your projector. Once they are linked you should be able to use any of your Alexa devices or the Alexa app to control the PJ.

Cool thanks, I did get it to work by following this guide:

Now I can link it to my Ikea Smart blinds so they close when turning the projector on..cool stuff 😊

Fellow owners, has anyone managed to work out how to get Alexa to turn the projector on? I keep seeing reviews mentioning this is possible but have not seen anywhere obvious to enable this....

Nope. I’ve tried everything. I can’t even get the Infowall to work.

The remote code to unlock ISF modes is “power - up - down - up - up” then you can choose on, off or unlock which will let you edit the modes. It looks as if these modes are there for carrying out a calibratIon and then setting to on rather than edit so they wont be changed accidentally. There is an ISF mode for day, night, HDR, HLG and 3D.

Hi guys,
I am a recent owner of this great projector (the EU uhz65ust, not US P1). I have a sony wh1000 xm3 noise cancelling headset. When i try to pair it with the PJ I have a message such as "paring with wh1000 xm3 is not allowed"). I was wondering if this is due to my headset or if the bluetooth on the PJ is just a bluetooth in and no blutooth out is alowed for any headset? Did you guys manage to pair a heaset with the device and listen to a movie through a headset?

Has anyone tried watching 3d movies from their sky q box? I downloaded rise of Sky Walker 3d but it just shows the side by side image. I stuck a 3d movie in my xbox and it played in 3d no bother, but from the sky q box it wont kick into 3d. I tried dropping the resolution down to 1080p but still no luck.

EDIT:

Got it to Work, changing to 1080p then switching the amp off and on made the 3d kick in

Last edited:
Nope. I’ve tried everything. I can’t even get the Infowall to work.

Try following the Youtube guide I linked, I am sure I had tried before to get the alexa integration working without any luck..but when i gave it another shot (make sure it’s already set up as a PJ in the Optoma connect app and that the power mode setting is set to smart mode) it’s now working fairly well.

As for Infowall...it took far too many attempts that I’d like to admit to get it to show up...then realised what a waste of time it was! The Alexa integration is far more useful

The remote code to unlock ISF modes is “power - up - down - up - up” then you can choose on, off or unlock which will let you edit the modes. It looks as if these modes are there for carrying out a calibratIon and then setting to on rather than edit so they wont be changed accidentally. There is an ISF mode for day, night, HDR, HLG and 3D.

Wish I’d looked into this prior to calibration..never mind the user mode works well enough for me. This will be useful for others getting a calibration though

Wish I’d looked into this prior to calibration..never mind the user mode works well enough for me. This will be useful for others getting a calibration though
Yeah thats a shame but you could actually copy all the settings from the modes that were used for the calibrations onto the ISF modes and then lock them. So copy all the settings in HDR to ISF HDR, and then whatever setting he used for SDR into the ISF Day/night modes, and also 3d to ISF 3d if he done a calibration for 3d. Once you’ve copied all the settings change the ISF setting from unlocked to ON.

I have been messing about with different settings mainly from the reviews posted earlier And saved them in the ISF modes. I don’t think the settings carry across for different inputs, so when i change the settings of any mode, then change the input of the amp i need to redo all the settings for each input. Struggling to get anything that i really like yet, but hopefully when the screen arrives I will get a bit better results.

Yeah thats a shame but you could actually copy all the settings from the modes that were used for the calibrations onto the ISF modes and then lock them. So copy all the settings in HDR to ISF HDR, and then whatever setting he used for SDR into the ISF Day/night modes, and also 3d to ISF 3d if he done a calibration for 3d. Once you’ve copied all the settings change the ISF setting from unlocked to ON.

I have been messing about with different settings mainly from the reviews posted earlier And saved them in the ISF modes. I don’t think the settings carry across for different inputs, so when i change the settings of any mode, then change the input of the amp i need to redo all the settings for each input. Struggling to get anything that i really like yet, but hopefully when the screen arrives I will get a bit better results.

Thanks I think I will go ahead and do that just for the sake of completion and being able to lock them.

There is a known issue where the settings are not restored on different inputs which apparently is due to be fixed in the next firmware release. I quote the below from the review I linked the other day:

“The projector has a few odd quirks in terms of how it stores and/or returns to its different picture modes. Alterations you make to the various presets—Cinema, Reference, User, or HDR for example—are stored and carry across all the HDMI inputs. However, I noticed that—similar to the UHD52ALV that we recently reviewed, the P1's HDMI inputs recognize the EDID identifier of specific components and automatically restore the last settings used regardless of what calibration might have been done to that input in the interim. Therefore, calibrating something like the Reference mode on the HDMI 1 input with my Murideo Six-G pattern generator and Calman software, and then plugging in my disc player or cable box, resulted in the projector restoring whatever preset mode and settings were last used with that source and ignoring the new settings. You can even end up with two different Reference modes on the same HDMI input, each with settings specific to a different source component.

This required the extra step of having to record calibrated settings and re-entering them once the permanent source was connected, and to do this for each preset I calibrated for each source (i.e., one for dark-room viewing and one for bright-room viewing). I also noticed that the projector responded with different settings to different signal resolutions coming from the same source, whether or not it had invoked its HDR mode. This cropped up with my Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray player when jumping from UHD-resolution HDR discs back to 1080p SDR content, where the projector would exit the HDR mode and automatically select its default Cinema mode instead of the previously calibrated Reference or other mode. I had to go to the menu each time and manually reselect my preferred viewing mode for SDR content. The same thing happened when I watched regular 1080p SDR Blu-rays and switched from straight 1080p output on the player to scaled 2160p SDR output. Fortunately, Optoma says that particular issue will be addressed in an upcoming firmware update expected by mid-June.”

Thanks I think I will go ahead and do that just for the sake of completion and being able to lock them.

There is a known issue where the settings are not restored on different inputs which apparently is due to be fixed in the next firmware release. I quote the below from the review I linked the other day:

“The projector has a few odd quirks in terms of how it stores and/or returns to its different picture modes. Alterations you make to the various presets—Cinema, Reference, User, or HDR for example—are stored and carry across all the HDMI inputs. However, I noticed that—similar to the UHD52ALV that we recently reviewed, the P1's HDMI inputs recognize the EDID identifier of specific components and automatically restore the last settings used regardless of what calibration might have been done to that input in the interim. Therefore, calibrating something like the Reference mode on the HDMI 1 input with my Murideo Six-G pattern generator and Calman software, and then plugging in my disc player or cable box, resulted in the projector restoring whatever preset mode and settings were last used with that source and ignoring the new settings. You can even end up with two different Reference modes on the same HDMI input, each with settings specific to a different source component.

This required the extra step of having to record calibrated settings and re-entering them once the permanent source was connected, and to do this for each preset I calibrated for each source (i.e., one for dark-room viewing and one for bright-room viewing). I also noticed that the projector responded with different settings to different signal resolutions coming from the same source, whether or not it had invoked its HDR mode. This cropped up with my Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-ray player when jumping from UHD-resolution HDR discs back to 1080p SDR content, where the projector would exit the HDR mode and automatically select its default Cinema mode instead of the previously calibrated Reference or other mode. I had to go to the menu each time and manually reselect my preferred viewing mode for SDR content. The same thing happened when I watched regular 1080p SDR Blu-rays and switched from straight 1080p output on the player to scaled 2160p SDR output. Fortunately, Optoma says that particular issue will be addressed in an upcoming firmware update expected by mid-June.”
Yeah I would do that mate, I was so paranoid about changing settings after I got my JVC calibrated. I took a note of all the settings just incase, but I would have preferred to lock them like you can do on the Optoma.

Thanks for the info, I noticed this yesterday when changing through inputs was very confused lol. Hopefully it will be sorted in the next firmware update like you say. I used the Disney WOW blu ray to dial in my brightness, contrast And sharpness yesterday but things kept changing, i would have pulled my hair out if I had any :)

Just a quickie.

Im after a surround sound solution for my uhz65 but stuck. Haven't a huge budget but wondered what sound setups you have.

Can a single sound bar do the job? Can u link multiple sound bars together? Has sonos got a surround sound solution that works well?

I have a pretty old surround setup in living room but have always been impressed with the quality but things have moved on over past 10+yrs so id like something decent without costing the earth as these things tend to do.

Ideally im after floor standing speakers but really anything that compliments this fabulous projector.

Would love to hear what you have

I have a stupid question regarding 3D and HDMI Arc.
I read that 3D is only working if you plugin the bluray player (or xbox) in HDMI1 (ARC).
Doesn't that mean that you cannot plug in a sonos beam or sonos arc as sound output as it requires HDMI ARC to work (back channel)?

I have a stupid question regarding 3D and HDMI Arc.
I read that 3D is only working if you plugin the bluray player (or xbox) in HDMI1 (ARC).
Doesn't that mean that you cannot plug in a sonos beam or sonos arc as sound output as it requires HDMI ARC to work (back channel)?

I’m not sure if thats the case or not but if it is, you could connect your beam using optical instead of HDMI ARC

Has sonos got a surround sound solution that works well?

I know @Macbooky uses his PJ with a sonos surround setup, and I do use it in my bedroom with my oled. The surround sound is pretty damn good when you pair up a Playbar with two Sonos ones for the rears, it really does benefit though from adding in the sub woofer. There‘s a new soundbar called the ARC coming from Sonos which is Dolby Atmos enabler so possibly worth waiting for that..but bear in mind the projector does not have EARC hdmi ports so the soundbar might not be able to do Dolby Atmos. All in all if your buying this setup (let’s assume the Playbar rather than the new Arc) your looking at about £1300 minimum. It’s an awesome system and obviously a piece of cake to setup!

When I got my PJ I decided to go for a Monitor Audio system. Having previously had bookshelf speakers as my surrounds I can honestly say the Monitor Audio FX range (Silver FX | Surround Speakers | Monitor Audio) are simply amazing..they really do a great job of creating a surround sound stage. I paired all of it up with Floorstanding fronts, a centre speaker and four in ceiling speakers for Atmos...then added two subs and of course a new amp to drive it. Estimate cost of around £3500.

Now i can say without a shadow of doubt the Monitor Audio system is in a different league to my Sonos setup...but then of course that’s expected for the price. But for ease of installation and still getting a great surround sound stage the Sonos setup is great...it just lacks Dolby Atmos and of course the front stage is a soundbar meaning the separation between left/centre/right is not as good as it would be with separates. The surrounds are great though and the sub really adds a different dimension to it all.

End of the day I’d say it depends on your goals...want something easy to setup that sounds great..go for the Sonos. Want the best you can get..go for separates.

I know @Macbooky uses his PJ with a sonos surround setup, and I do use it in my bedroom with my oled. The surround sound is pretty damn good when you pair up a Playbar with two Sonos ones for the rears, it really does benefit though from adding in the sub woofer. There‘s a new soundbar called the ARC coming from Sonos which is Dolby Atmos enabler so possibly worth waiting for that..but bear in mind the projector does not have EARC hdmi ports so the soundbar might not be able to do Dolby Atmos. All in all if your buying this setup (let’s assume the Playbar rather than the new Arc) your looking at about £1300 minimum. It’s an awesome system and obviously a piece of cake to setup!

When I got my PJ I decided to go for a Monitor Audio system. Having previously had bookshelf speakers as my surrounds I can honestly say the Monitor Audio FX range (Silver FX | Surround Speakers | Monitor Audio) are simply amazing..they really do a great job of creating a surround sound stage. I paired all of it up with Floorstanding fronts, a centre speaker and four in ceiling speakers for Atmos...then added two subs and of course a new amp to drive it. Estimate cost of around £3500.

Now i can say without a shadow of doubt the Monitor Audio system is in a different league to my Sonos setup...but then of course that’s expected for the price. But for ease of installation and still getting a great surround sound stage the Sonos setup is great...it just lacks Dolby Atmos and of course the front stage is a soundbar meaning the separation between left/centre/right is not as good as it would be with separates. The surrounds are great though and the sub really adds a different dimension to it all.

End of the day I’d say it depends on your goals...want something easy to setup that sounds great..go for the Sonos. Want the best you can get..go for separates.

Yes I have the Sonos surround set up in a couple of rooms at home. They work well but as mentioned aren’t cheap. I think if you’re a Sonos owner then it’s a good buy. Also mentioned before Is the fact that they aren’t DTS compatible but if you’re using an Apple TV, Fire Stick or Xbox then audio is transcoded on the fly to Dolby Digital, which Sonos supports. I am interested in the Sonos Arc but that’ll have to go with the new LG OLED I’m thinking of getting as that’ll be the only device in my house that supports E-ARC.
Dont know if anyone is aware of Leo Laporte The Tech Guy podcast but I had a conversation with Home Theatre expert Scott Wilkinson on last weeks show regarding the new Sonos Arc. Fast forward the link to 44 minutes in...

Just a quickie.

Im after a surround sound solution for my uhz65 but stuck. Haven't a huge budget but wondered what sound setups you have.

Can a single sound bar do the job? Can u link multiple sound bars together? Has sonos got a surround sound solution that works well?

I have a pretty old surround setup in living room but have always been impressed with the quality but things have moved on over past 10+yrs so id like something decent without costing the earth as these things tend to do.

Ideally im after floor standing speakers but really anything that compliments this fabulous projector.

Would love to hear what you have
Ive had a Playbar, sub and sonos ones as rears and they do a really good job, and very simple setup. I also use a beam and 2 play1s as rears at my caravan and that is decent for a smaller space. As mentioned above they wont beat a decent avr with separate speakers of the same value but sometimes convenience and simplicity is required/wanted.

I also tried the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar, when it works it is a really amazing sound, unfortunately I had 2 bad units and lost confidence and ended up getting a refund. It’s very expensive and its massive but for a 1 bar solution it was very impressive.

As im85822 says it depends what your expectations are, but the sonos does do a very good job all be it with a few limitations and a pretty hefty price tag if you go with the Playbar/arc + sub + 2 x rears

Cheers for a great reply. Much much appreciated..

Although id love another £3500-£4k to wang on a sound setup (i really would!) I think a sonos arrangement might be the way the way the to go in leu of other options. Besides I like the potential flexibility the sonos would give for the money.

You mention ARC. I read in a review that was posted here ( Optoma CinemaX P1 Ultra-Short-Throw 4K Laser Projector Review) that ARC exists on HDMI 1. Although this was a review of the P1 so perhaps slightly different?!

Cheers for a great reply. Much much appreciated..

Although id love another £3500-£4k to wang on a sound setup (i really would!) I think a sonos arrangement might be the way the way the to go in leu of other options. Besides I like the potential flexibility the sonos would give for the money.

You mention ARC. I read in a review that was posted here ( Optoma CinemaX P1 Ultra-Short-Throw 4K Laser Projector Review) that ARC exists on HDMI 1. Although this was a review of the P1 so perhaps slightly different?!

No worries, to clear up yes the PJ does have ARC (Audio Return Channel) on one of the HDMI ports..but for Dolby Atmos to be able to be sent to the new Sonos Arc soundbar it would need to have the newer E-ARC (Extended Audio Return Channel) which currently is only on some of the latest TVs (as it’s a HDMI 2.1 feature).

Has anyone tried watching 3d movies from their sky q box? I downloaded rise of Sky Walker 3d but it just shows the side by side image. I stuck a 3d movie in my xbox and it played in 3d no bother, but from the sky q box it wont kick into 3d. I tried dropping the resolution down to 1080p but still no luck.

EDIT:

Got it to Work, changing to 1080p then switching the amp off and on made the 3d kick in
What’s the 3D like on this?

No worries, to clear up yes the PJ does have ARC (Audio Return Channel) on one of the HDMI ports..but for Dolby Atmos to be able to be sent to the new Sonos Arc soundbar it would need to have the newer E-ARC (Extended Audio Return Channel) which currently is only on some of the latest TVs (as it’s a HDMI 2.1 feature).

Aaah I see. Thanks for that! :)

Ive had a Playbar, sub and sonos ones as rears and they do a really good job, and very simple setup. I also use a beam and 2 play1s as rears at my caravan and that is decent for a smaller space. As mentioned above they wont beat a decent avr with separate speakers of the same value but sometimes convenience and simplicity is required/wanted.

I also tried the Sennheiser Ambeo soundbar, when it works it is a really amazing sound, unfortunately I had 2 bad units and lost confidence and ended up getting a refund. It’s very expensive and its massive but for a 1 bar solution it was very impressive.

As im85822 says it depends what your expectations are, but the sonos does do a very good job all be it with a few limitations and a pretty hefty price tag if you go with the Playbar/arc + sub + 2 x rears

Thanks for your feedback too!

Im no audiofile and dont have the £1000s needed to become one however I do appreciate a decent balanced sound setup. You cant beat the thump a sub will give you while watching the right movie. Its trying to find the right kit for the cost.

I've just looked up the cinematic Sonos setup. Over £2k for the kit. Its pretty much what im after in terms of hardware. Maybe I'd swap out the ARC / play bar for a pair of floor standing speakers but can the Sonos setup be bettered for less £ do you think ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom