Khan is on sky cinema's list of UHD films - I'm not sure whether that means a disc will follow but in any case it's not a particularly good transfer they're using.

They did a brand new 4K scan back in 2016 and Nick Meyer reported he had signed off on an HDR pass at the time so sadly the fact it is on Sky in 4K does not mean a UHD release is on its way but surprised to hear it doesn't look that good as the Blu-ray is gorgeous.

They did a brand new 4K scan back in 2016 and Nick Meyer reported he had signed off on an HDR pass at the time so sadly the fact it is on Sky in 4K does not mean a UHD release is on its way but surprised to hear it doesn't look that good as the Blu-ray is gorgeous.
I wasn't impressed. Pretty average looking to me, certainly nothing to write home about.

I wasn't impressed. Pretty average looking to me, certainly nothing to write home about.

Suppose it could be based off the previous 4K transfer done back in 2009

As a non trekky fan, i'd love a 4K release of the one with the Whales.

That's the only Trek movie I've watched several times.:blush:

The Voyage Home is one of my favourites, shame out of the Blu-rays it is one of the worst along with The Undiscovered Country due to excessive DNR.

That be Star TrekIV:The Voyage Home

SPOILERS

The Voyage Home is one of my favourites, shame out of the Blu-rays it is one of the worst along with The Undiscovered Country due to excessive DNR.

Yup. I've seen it a while back on (i think) BR and it looked pretty dire.

All 10 movies are on my most wanted 4K movies list, the fact that TWOK is done and still not released is baffling.
TWOK Director's cut is available on iTunes as 4K, bizarrely enough.
But, their standard 5.1 sound, so a win, a lose :):(

Appears to be on Sky in 4K too but reports here seem to suggest its nothing special, how is the iTunes version?

Appears to be on Sky in 4K too but reports here seem to suggest its nothing special, how is the iTunes version?
Must admit, it didn't look any better than my (upscaled by the TV) Blu Ray version. And I have been frequently impressed with the iTunes streaming quality, so I don't think that was an issue.

I saw all the Trek films a year or two back in order. I wasn't looking forward to this one as I remembered it being a cheesefest…..but I loved it even more! Definitely one of the best Trek films for me.

I saw all the Trek films a year or two back in order. I wasn't looking forward to this one as I remembered it being a cheesefest…..but I loved it even more! Definitely one of the best Trek films for me.
I feel it's cheesy, but Kirk has the best line of all Trek Movies, IMHO
Sitting in the Pizza place with the Marine Biologist
Gillian "Don't tell me, you're from Outer Space"
Kirk "No, I'm from Iowa, I only work in Outer Space"
Classic!

I don't have a Apple TV or might have at least rented it, I don't really buy many digital movies I still prefer the disc with a nice high bitrate and HD Audio.

I don't have a Apple TV or might have at least rented it, I don't really buy many digital movies I still prefer the disc with a nice high bitrate and HD Audio.
Absolutely! iTunes for me works best
a) To early rent a Movie that won't be on disk for ages
b) To buy a movie on one of their really cheap deals days (And if it's good enough I'll get the disk anyway eventually!)
c) If they are doing DV & Atmos, but the Disk does not, or is Blu Ray only

But Disk is otherwise King, I totally agree!

Do not think its the proper 4K Nick Meyer did though just an upscale minus the HDR & colour pass upgrade. Paramount still have not made available the 2 & 6 scans Meyer worked on in 2016 :rolleyes:

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any better after the Star Trek Picard announcement :)

Think there will be a lot of Trekkies this week who are excited to the point of leakage :)
Now, if they could only re-do the Wrath of Khan 4K......;)

Wrath of Khan is one of the films that needs no extra work, they remastered it again in 4K in 2016 and even gave it an HDR pass so its sitting there ready to go.

Whats wrong with the recent TWOK 4k scan?

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any better after the Star Trek Picard announcement :)

Think there will be a lot of Trekkies this week who are excited to the point of leakage :)

The Picard trailer looked so incredibly good and I really hope that the fact they spoke about the discussions for TMP means it is going to go ahead. With rumours that CBS and Paramount announcing a merger next month with Star Trek being a driving factor it be the 3rd coming of Star Trek.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/19/cb...oon-star-trek-re-unification-cited-as-factor/

The only thing that could make this better is if they announce a DS9 remaster.

TMP DC - day one purchase

Wrath of Khan is one of the films that needs no extra work, they remastered it again in 4K in 2016 and even gave it an HDR pass so its sitting there ready to go.

Whats wrong with the recent TWOK 4k scan?

Sorry, I wrote that wrong - I meant to release the 4K TWOK in disk format - AFAIK, it is only available on iTunes, or am I wrong there?

Sorry, I wrote that wrong - I meant to release the 4K TWOK in disk format - AFAIK, it is only available on iTunes, or am I wrong there?

No that is correct (well its also in 4K on Sky) but neither are HDR so that version is still sat on a hard drive somewhere at Paramount waiting to be authored and released on a shiny UHD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom