No that is correct (well its also in 4K on Sky) but neither are HDR so that version is still sat on a hard drive somewhere at Paramount waiting to be authored and released on a shiny UHD.
Ok thanks. Then I really hope that if they do indeed release TMP in 4K, that it is a big success, and nudges them to release Khan 4K as well. :thumbsup:

What about this version from my Laserdisc collection?

20190722_145651.jpg

:)
Bri

Ok thanks. Then I really hope that if they do indeed release TMP in 4K, that it is a big success, and nudges them to release Khan 4K as well. :thumbsup:

If they had greenlit a fourth Kelvin timeline film I am sure they would have released the original film on UHD to cash in on it but as that project is pretty much dead they are in limbo (this announcement is the first hope we have been given) however I was hoping the the new Picard show might push them to release at least the TNG films on UHD and that might still happen but not until next year due to the Picard series slipping to 2020.

Sounds like they just repeated what they had already said at Comic Con.

I actually contacted Bill Hunt from the digital bits to see if any more news was forthcoming about the disc release

Hello Mr hunt

I hope you are well.

I was wondering if you had any more news on the star trek the motion picture release you mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

No, still working on that. But I hope to have an update soon.

Bill Hunt, Editor

The Digital Bits.com

Any update on this? Com'on Paramount, get your finger out !!

Work is proceeding very slowly apparently & one of the producers of the 2001 SE said all the VFX is already in HD they are still waiting on Paramount to provide the funds to proceed officially!

"A lot of you are likely wondering about the classic Star Trek films on 4K, including the long-awaited (and occasionally teased) Star Trek: The Motion Picture – Director’s Edition. What I can tell you is that this is a big project but things are moving in a positive direction, if very slowly. So don’t give up; this one is going to require some patience. But do take every opportunity you have via social media to let the studio know that you really want #sttmp40 on physical 4K Ultra HD. Positive mojo can only help."

"I mastered the "director's cut" for Paramount in 1980, and it was never commercially released. Wise cut the film down to 110 minutes, and the assistant editor on the picture told me he was livid when the studio overruled him and cut 12 minutes of the V'Ger VFX sequence back into the film. Wise was smart enough to know it dragged the film down, and he was right. But because the film had gone so grossly over budget, the studio was determined to see "all their money up on the screen," so it went out at 132 minutes." I've had many discussions with Bob about the film and the final days of Post, and I can not see how any of this statement could have happened under those extreme circumstances.

"Most of the issues revolve around redoing the new visual effects for the director's cut--they were rendered in SD not HD and it would be fairly expensive to do from scratch. They could upscale them but they wouldn't look great at 4K much less 2K. It's certainly possible that the film elements for the DC were mislabeled." All of the shots in the film were created with HD in mind so the quality of the models and elements were much higher than the SD renderings. We have everything, and when the time is right, we'll use them. Again, there is no truth that anything is missing.

"You are very much correct about the low lighting on the bridge set to accommodate the CRT displays used on the bridge." This is almost correct, there were projectors, projecting film onto the displays on the bridge, not CRTs. The low lighting was to accommodate the projector displays, but also to set a far more intimate mood. The color timing for the Director's Edition is exactly right, whereas the Blu-ray of the theatrical is very inaccurate.

"As I understand it, the TMP bridge console displays at one point were animations displayed by rear projection via 16mm projectors. One article I read several years ago regarding TMP's production seemed to suggest that the ambient noise on the bridge set from the 16mm projectors was so loud as a result that recording the crew lines on the bridge set ranged from difficult to impossible." Yep, I didn't see this was stated. Good job!

"Vidiot's thinking that Sumner Redstone is part of the issue is new to me and I had to read up on him to understand what the issue is. The Viacom CEO is trying to sell a minority stake of Paramount Studios and Sumner Redstone is blocking that. Sounds like lots of lawyers now are fighting it out with the Redstone family. This must be part of the turmoil. Though I can only guess why executives at Paramount are under pressure or getting fired. So the whole video department at Paramount is likely only concentrating on new releases and not worrying about the legacy films they have in their library. Shame given it's the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek and you'd think they'd treasure one of their golden gooses. And years earlier they were investing in the legacy films such as the Godfather and The 10 Commandments and so forth to give them proper restorations and preserving them." Immmm..... well put."

All I know is that there was a limited Cinematic release - I believe they even got Shatner to do a little speech beforehand at some showings (I'm going from memory now, don't quote me!).
Yep, & then....nothing!
Yes there was. I went to see it with a friend of mine. It was amazing

2:51 is where he mentions the audio remaster & v'ger for STMP. Just before was really cool as well some of The Doors classic tracks are being reworked in Dolby Atmos sounds really cool as well!

Hopefully the virtual Comic Con in a few weeks will have some more details on UHD releases, can’t believe the same Blu-rays have been recycled for over a decade now (not counting WoK)

Fingers crossed we finally get 4K restorations of all Trek movies on UHD

So looks like work on a restoration might have started, there are a few lines in this interview that mentions it.

From the Digital Bits:

Also, there’s new hope today for Star Trek fans eagerly awaiting news of Paramount’s much-anticipated remastered version of Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Director’s Edition in Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD: The film’s original score mixer, Bruce Botnick, has just revealed he’s about to start work on a new Dolby Atmos mix! The source is this interview on YouTube (and the relevant comments start at about 2:40 in). GREAT news!

Funny how they always just recycle news that others have posted about but try to make it seem like they have the scoop lol

Go to 3.20 (part 3 of this video)... looks amazing!

These fan made CGI recreations are very impressive but can't await to see the original model shots in their full 4K glory, hell go that bit further and re-composite them like they did for TNG HD and really bring out all the detail (pretty sure that won't happen but can dream)

Give me Wrath of Khan, Aliens, & Master & Commander all in 4K & I will die a happy man!
(Secret message to the Film Gods!)

A shame really as studio have no new films to release, so remastering and releasing catalogue titles is a good revenue stream for them

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom