OS Upgrade

Nineball

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, can someone please tell me if it is possible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free?
I have an old laptop that is running Windows Vista and really need to upgrade it to Windows 10 if possible.
Total novice and and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

No, Windows Vista was never included in the free upgrade, only Windows 7 and newer versions.

If you're contemplating buying a copy then do check for compatibility first as it's entirely possible circa 2007-2008 hardware won't have Windows 10 drivers available.

No, Windows Vista was never included in the free upgrade, only Windows 7 and newer versions.

If you're contemplating buying a copy then do check for compatibility first as it's entirely possible circa 2007-2008 hardware won't have Windows 10 drivers available.
Ok, thanks for that. Where can I check for compatibility and how do I know if it is? I know it's probably straight forward!
Thanks

Officially, there's no compatibility checker for Windows Vista to Windows 10.

If your machine is from one of the big manufacturers like HP,Dell etc then download Windows 10 from Microsoft burn it to a disk or usb drive then install it as a clean install. These manufacturers have listed all their hardware that is compatible and given them a windows 10 license. It is not something any of them are advertising though.

Please note - please backup any personal data etc before doing so as it will wipe the drive.

At the very minimum you will need to update the BIOS to a version known to work on windows 10. If there is no BIOS that works on windows 10 just slide the laptop off the desk into the bin.

What is the make and model of the laptop ?

It's quite an old one. It's a hp G60

Ah, right ! Just had a look at the spec and the honest answer is absolutely no chance. It is just too old. Sorry.
I would save your money and look for a replacement.

Or run a Linux distribution, unless you need something specific to windows.
Seems some are running windows 10 on it though.

Or run a Linux distribution, unless you need something specific to windows.
Seems some are running windows 10 on it though.

Often is the case with older machines, the model number is so wide and has various specs over the years it was in production.

I would guess it will come down to the actual processor on this machine. Really needs a BIOS available that is windows 10 compatible/processor for this laptop.

Without a up-to-date BIOS it's quite likely the windows 10 installation won't go past the first stage boot test let alone the second stage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom