OSMC Vero 4K Media Streamer Review & Comments

OSMC (Vero 4K) is based on Kodi, so OSMC has to wait for Kodi's software engineers to build the features. Kodi does do SBS and TAB 3D, it just doesn't do Full Frame 3D yet...

Full Frame (Frame Packed) 3D is the only version of 3D that anyone that wants 3D cares about.

There are builds of Kodi for the Raspberry PI and intel NUC's that do successfully do Frame packed 3D so its possibly for developers to make forks of KODI that do it and OSMC is a fork of KODI.

OSMC where saying it would be coming in a month or two well over a year ago and telling reviewers it was coming which isn't something they should have done.

Also, you should not mix and match flat folder structure with some films being in folders (as per your example above when you have 2 disk instances), as Kodi specifically scans one or the other method based on this setting, quoted from the page at the above link:
  • The setting Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title which is located in the Set Content settings page of the Source has the following effect:
    • If Enabled Kodi will use the folder name to scrape the movie
    • If Disabled Kodi will use the filename to scrape the movie
  • In light of the above, and because many users are unaware or forget this setting, Kodi recommends naming the movie file the same as the folder name
Ah right cool. It seems to work fine for me, but then maybe the filenames match the folder names so I get away with it.

Full Frame (Frame Packed) 3D is the only version of 3D that anyone that wants 3D cares about.

There are builds of Kodi for the Raspberry PI and intel NUC's that do successfully do Frame packed 3D so its possibly for developers to make forks of KODI that do it and OSMC is a fork of KODI.

OSMC where saying it would be coming in a month or two well over a year ago and telling reviewers it was coming which isn't something they should have done.

Hi,

That's not quite right. I'd just like to clear things up.

3D MVC is implemented using hardware acceleration on the Vero 4K / 4K + SoC, so it's a platform dependent implementation and not exactly reliant on Kodi. This is why some platforms support 3D MVC and some do not; despite the platforms all running Kodi.

The Vero 4K video chain supports 3D MVC decoding and output.

We had 3D MVC working with SBS output for Kodi v16 (Jarvis). This was then broken by Kodi changes and the introduction of VideoPlayer (the new video playback architecture).

We now have test builds of Kodi Krypton (v17), with support reintroduced. I then worked on Frame Packed (MVC) output. Unfortunately this seems to be only working on some displays at present.

As Kodi v17 is about to be end-of-life (Kodi v18 is already in beta), it doesn't make much sense for us to put such a significant amount of work in to this codebase. I want to revisit this for Kodi v18, but at the moment doing so would be trying to hit a moving target. Kodi v18 depends on a newer version of libbluray, which does not support demuxing 3D ISOs. This means that currently we are limited to frame packed content contained in MKV. The VideoPlayer code has been rewritten again, so we will need to rebase our changes on top. The VideoPlayer code is still changing however, so we need to wait for it to stabilise.

SBS and OU are also accelerated on Vero 4K by the VPU in a platform specific manner. Kodi's ffmpeg is not used to decode this content.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer. If you do have any questions, let me know. I'm also happy to make the 3D MVC test builds for Vero 4K available to anyone who would like to try them; but I'd recommend that more advanced users (familiar with SSH) try them.

Cheers

Sam

Vero 4K does do 3D but is SBS or OU. I believe full frame will be coming with Leia.

Are you going to rip to ISO or remux it? No quality loss with remux as just putting it in an different container and is a fast process as no re-encode. Vero and other players are hit and miss when playing ISO's regards menus. No issues with remuxes
I just want the simplest and most reliable method which plays it exactly like putting a disc in without me having to put a disc in :D. On that front I have no idea what the difference between the two is.

Correct, so you would need 2 x 8TB drives to have 8TB of storage. It is an expensive option, but then it does save time and worry if a drive goes down. I'd look at how your NAS handles RAID and if it will alert you if a drive has issues.
Hmm further reading would suggest RAID5 is a good option and then it only uses on drive so I could get 6 x 8TB and have 40TB.

I use:
  • Synology NAS using "Synology Hybrid RAID" (basically RAID5 in my use case) with 4x 4TB HDDs. This gives me approximately 11TB of storage as one disk is used for redundancy.
  • PC with LG Blu-ray Disc drive to rip my BDs via MakeMKV. It is very simple to use; PM me if you have any questions on it.
  • Vero 4K attached to my GbE network to stream to my receiver / projector setup.
  • I also have a couple of USB hard disks connected to my NAS which do weekly backups of the rips (and my other more important data).
My Vero 4K (Kodi via OSMC) points to the shares on my NAS and builds a Kodi library from them, complete with artwork, movie / TV show meta data etc. Of course I went overboard and created all my own artwork and NFO (metadata) files to ensure everything scrapes exactly how I want it to, but you don't need to do this. You can just create a network share > folder > file structure like this:

NAS > Movies:
- Avatar (2009) (Bluray) / Avatar (2009).mkv
- Batman Begins (2005) (Bluray) / Batman Begins (2005).mkv

NAS > TV Shows:
- Game of Thrones / Game of Thrones [S01 E01].mkv
- Game of Thrones / Game of Thrones [S01 E02].mkv

Kodi will automagically recognise this file structure with ease and build the library from it.

Any questions on Synology NAS setup, Kodi setup, etc, give me a shout; I've been working with Synology NAS units in my day job for a good 10 years now and using Kodi since the original Xbox days nearly 20 years ago, so I know my way around both quite well :)
What happens when you have the films spread over multiple discs like LOTR? Or if you have extras on separate discs?

I’ve looked at that Zappiti NAS Ripper but it seems to lock you into their platform and also can’t do TV shows. I also couldn’t work out if it only took the main feature rather than the full disc, seemed to suggest it automatically just found the film only to back up but I want the whole thing.

It also seems to be about £1500 more than even the most expensive synology NAS which would buy all 6 HDD’s, a Vero and Blu-ray Drive with the negative being me needing to set it up but having more flexibility right?

Oh I also need to backup my HDDVDs which I haven’t checked if the Zappiti could do but the £1500 premium and I’d still need to get a Zappiti player makes it look like perhaps not the best option?

I can wait for the full 3D update since this is a purchase for next year, I just like to do my research well in advance. In the meantime I have a gaming PC with a DVD drive and a 1TB free so I can get familiar with the programs and get a Vero to try since it's not going the break the bank.

I like to try things out on a budget before commiting as you never really know exactly what you’re after until you’ve lived with things and worked out what does and doesn’t work for you. Seeing something cool is one thing integrating it into your own setup is another!

My current thing is simplicity and automation on a budget, I don’t mind if it takes time and effort to setup right but once it is, it needs to be a set and forget kind of deal unless something breaks of course.

I just want the simplest and most reliable method which plays it exactly like putting a disc in without me having to put a disc in :D. On that front I have no idea what the difference between the two is.

The simple answer is the Vero 4k doesn’t do 3D properly without loss of quality.

You have to look elsewhere.

OSMC is a fork of KODI.
Is it?! :eek:

As far as I know, OSMC is a cut-down version of the Linux operating system, which provides just enough OS infrastructure to allow the Kodi application to run comfortably, and not much else. The Kodi application is developed separately, and OSMC has to evolve under it in order to keep supporting whatever it is each new version of Kodi does.

An actual distribution set of OSMC will bundle a version of Kodi, but it's not a separate code fork, as far as I'm aware.

Is it?! :eek:

As far as I know, OSMC is a cut-down version of the Linux operating system, which provides just enough OS infrastructure to allow the Kodi application to run comfortably, and not much else. The Kodi application is developed separately, and OSMC has to evolve under it in order to keep supporting whatever it is each new version of Kodi does.

An actual distribution set of OSMC will bundle a version of Kodi, but it's not a separate code fork, as far as I'm aware.

Its not 'Vanilla kodi' and there certainly are varients of Kodi on the right hardware that will do proper 3D

I'm just glad it does 4K HDR properly even on my current limited 10.2Gbps hdmi chipset. I'm not a huge fan of Kodi especially is ff/rw mechanism altho I haven't really bothered playing much with it. PLEX on the Shield handles it much better which is what I use for everything else SDR and it will switch framerate just fine, i've noticed some post saying this wasn't possible.

I'm just glad it does 4K HDR properly even on my current limited 10.2Gbps hdmi chipset. I'm not a huge fan of Kodi especially is ff/rw mechanism altho I haven't really bothered playing much with it. PLEX on the Shield handles it much better which is what I use for everything else SDR and it will switch framerate just fine, i've noticed some post saying this wasn't possible.

The shield switches framerate and resolution just fine. What it won’t do is switch to the correct colour space when switching between rec 709 and rec 2020 material. Which is kind of unforgivable for a 3 year old device. Especially seeing as it’s been raised frequently as an issue.

The shield switches framerate and resolution just fine. What it won’t do is switch to the correct colour space when switching between rec 709 and rec 2020 material. Which is kind of unforgivable for a 3 year old device. Especially seeing as it’s been raised frequently as an issue.

Fully aware of what it can and cannot do, I own one. For my needs right now I need a Vero4K+ as well for HDR. The playback on the shield for some it seems isn't good enough.

The age is irrelevant really, it's about what Androids API can and cannot do - the Shield is probably one of the most powerful box media players around, I'm very fond of it.

when you decide to store additional files with the movies, e.g. artwork, NFO, subtitles. You can't do this with a flat folder structure.
That works fine with a flat folder structure. And if you're using nfos you can mix and match folders/no folders. Iirc Kodi kicked out their wiki maintainer a few years ago, so there's a few sections that need reviewed.

Which is kind of unforgivable for a 3 year old device. Especially seeing as it’s been raised frequently as an issue.
The daft thing is that they were made aware of the translation tables on release, so it wouldn't even need to switch if they were implemented.

What happens when you have the films spread over multiple discs like LOTR? Or if you have extras on separate discs?
You could merge the files, but it's easier naming them eg "LOTR part1.mkv", and "LOTR part2.mkv" and they'll play together. For extras there's the extras add-on.

I'm not a huge fan of Kodi especially is ff/rw mechanism altho I haven't really bothered playing much with it.
I don't think that's ever worked properly? After over a decade of xbmp/xbmc/kodi I'm so used to using the R/L buttons to skip back and forward I don't even think of using FF/REW on other kit like my bluray players.

Have you tried the official Plex add on on the Vero? In my opinion it works better than the Shield version with all the PQ advantages of the Vero and its easy to navigate through a file. It kind of sits on top of Kodi and you would never know you were in Kodi when using it.

Have you tried the official Plex add on on the Vero? In my opinion it works better than the Shield version with all the PQ advantages of the Vero and its easy to navigate through a file. It kind of sits on top of Kodi and you would never know you were in Kodi when using it.

I did yes, I found it a bit clunky and it seemed to freak out a bit with UHD content, I'm not sure it played it. I tried it the other night with the Vero4K+ and it wouldn't do 4k.

Now I don't know much about it, my hope was to move away from Kodi's awkwardness which seems to be your success story, maybe I downloaded the wrong version? or perhaps it's because I'm using a modified kernel of OSMC, but the regular vero was vanilla had the same issue. Am I being thick?

I know people love Kodi but to me it's always been something that you have had to learn so much about just to get it to be simple and functional, the SMB thing for a start.. christ. For me the Shield, despite it's few flaws was just 'bish bash go' with PLEX. If HDR wasn't such a spoilt redheaded step child of media things would be way easier and it's what..3, 4 years old now?

On the plex add on you have to change it under settings to not transcode 4k - then it will play perfectly on the Vero.

I don't think that's ever worked properly? After over a decade of xbmp/xbmc/kodi I'm so used to using the R/L buttons to skip back and forward I don't even think of using FF/REW on other kit like my bluray players.

Maybe.. I can't help but think I'm being dumb and not adjusting a slider or ticking a box or something, but I've been dipping into it now and again since it was an app on the original modded xbox and when I was using the HTPC for 1080p stuff I just ran MPCHC with Madvr and browsed with win explorer because Kodi did my head in.

On the plex add on you have to change it under settings to not transcode 4k - then it will play perfectly on the Vero.

Hmm.. pretty sure I did that, I'll give it another go - after 15mins of finding the add on menu thingymabob again :rotfl:

edit: Ok, I didn't have support HEVC ticked which would explain it. So.. bit better on chapters and FF/RW the Shield is much smoother, I can only conclude it's a horsepower thing, thanks for the tip tho!

second edit: Figure out the way KODI's ff/rw and chapters work tis ok. MY only complaint about the Vero, much like a lot of smart TV's too is the clunkyness of the menus - the Shield is king for wizzing thru your library of cover art, but it's a minor gripe as the end result is excellent playback with all the right things switching as intended.

Last edited:
I feel your pain but once set up its pretty much zero maintenance and the Vero is absolutely rock solid - I reckon I could leave it on for 5 years and not have to reboot it unlike the Shield which in my experience needed rebooting very often and apps would often close etc

I feel your pain but once set up its pretty much zero maintenance and the Vero is absolutely rock solid - I reckon I could leave it on for 5 years and not have to reboot it unlike the Shield which in my experience needed rebooting very often and apps would often close etc

I'm getting good at it now I've been forced to, but with HDR working I've been revisiting some stuff I was saving. My Shield has been fine, but am aware some have had issues. I think this Amber skin is pretty good for general playback etc. I'd give the Vero4K+ two solid thumbs up if you want 1080p and 4K UHD .mkv to just crack it out and work and that includes devices with 10.2Gbps HDMI chipsets as well, which is a ball ache to get working unless it's a disc spinner.. might work on the new Dune now, can be forced on the shield since experience version 6 something.

Maybe.. I can't help but think I'm being dumb and not adjusting a slider or ticking a box or something
One thing you might want to try is changing the settings in Settings > Player > Videos. Instead of the default adaptive skipping, if you deselect all the values except eg 30 secs and set the delay to zero, it'll just go back/forward that amount for each R/L keypress, which I find works better on the Vero. Up/Down will still be 10 minutes.

One thing you might want to try is changing the settings in Settings > Player > Videos. Instead of the default adaptive skipping, if you deselect all the values except eg 30 secs and set the delay to zero, it'll just go back/forward that amount for each R/L keypress, which I find works better on the Vero. Up/Down will still be 10 minutes.

Ahh ok, that is more manageable. Maybe the choppiness is the Bluetooth or it just has really weird stepping in the way it calculates what a long press equals as it goes from 0 to 100 a bit erratically.

The Shield works on a smoother incrament perhaps?

Thinking of getting the 4K+. I have Control4 and my dealer tells me there is a 3rd party driver but £60 for the license:(

What Kodi iPad apps do people use to access video files? I am familiar with Zappiti and am hoping I can get something similar to their app for this.

Martin

Really interested in the 4K+ but will need to add a VPN (nord) and IPTV player how difficult is this bearing in mind I don't having a doctorate in computer science.....

The Shield works on a smoother incrament perhaps?
I think it'll be down to the difference in remotes as unless you've changed things manually as the increment is the same - possibly if you played with the delay it'd work more like the Shield? I'm using CEC and the tv's remote was easier to control than the Vero's for multi-steps.

What Kodi iPad apps do people use to access video files? I am familiar with Zappiti and am hoping I can get something similar to their app for this.
There's quite a few to choose from. iOS remotes - Official Kodi Wiki

IPTV player how difficult is this bearing in mind I don't having a doctorate in computer science.....
Download Kodi for whatever platform you currently can and try it? There's the Simple IPTV addon, or you could go down the more complex route of setting up a PVR backend instead.

I think it'll be down to the difference in remotes as unless you've changed things manually as the increment is the same - possibly if you played with the delay it'd work more like the Shield? I'm using CEC and the tv's remote was easier to control than the Vero's for multi-steps.

Remotes are similar, the shield one is better built. But scrolling thru the library for example the Vero is like.. struggling for an analogy here...

it's the incraments of acceleration on the long press - the vero has a few different speeds and the shield has a short delay then goes flat out. Not sure if this is adjustable??

Probably not...it's not something I've encountered as I find the Vero remote too simple as my library is large, so all my Kodi devices have remotes with a number pad to allow alphabetical skipping, and channel up/down to go up/down a screen at a time.

I'll reconnect the Vero's own remote and have a play at the weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom