Answered Overscan on Tivo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't sound like a standard overscan issue as that wouldn't result in part of the menu being off screen. The menus and any text are purposely positioned a certain distance from the edges of a screen to avoid overscan issues.

It isn't all menus. Most are OK.

If I go to My Shows, and then select all of the episodes for a specific show with a lot of episodes, the last name on the screen is only just visible, most of it is off the bottom of the screen.

I'm also missing a little bit of the right hand side of the screen most of the time.

It only happens with the Tivo, and not with V+

Is this the setting you've been insisting your TV didn't have, the one I've repeatedly suggested you need to alter?

You said to change it from auto to 16:9.

I did that and it didn't make any noticeable difference.

What other options are available besides auto and 16:9 on the TV?

Overscan is something the TV does, not the source. Some sources may have the ability to alter their settings to compensate overscan like Kodi but will have an affect on picture quality.

16:9, 4:3, Auto, Zoom 1, Zoom 2.

Zoom1 and Zoom2 are horrible and useless, I don't know why they even bother including them. Pretty much all of the other adjustment options are to do with colour.

There are no Horizontal or vertical adjustment options like in Kodi.

I think that this one is a dead end. Neither the source or the destination have individual adjustment options. The TV is probably just too old to talk to the Tivo box properly.

Nothing labelled - Just Scan, Native, Full, 1:1 etc.
These option may only appear when a HD source is connected. Is your TiVo set to output 1080i? Is it a full HD TV? this may also affect whether the option is present.
Also, the comment earlier about the V+ box and other sources not overscanning, maybe they were but you have just never noticed as they were designed with overscanning in mind and kept all text/menus away from the edge of screen unlike the TiVo.

Nothing labelled - Just Scan, Native, Full, 1:1 etc.
These option may only appear when a HD source is connected. Is your TiVo set to output 1080i? Is it a full HD TV? this may also affect whether the option is present.
Also, the comment earlier about the V+ box and other sources not overscanning, maybe they were but you have just never noticed as they were designed with overscanning in mind and kept all text/menus away from the edge of screen unlike the TiVo.

It's an older TV, it shows up all of the options all of the time, but any that you can't use are just greyed out. It doesn't even have an "advanced" menu. There are just 5 tabs for things like colour, sound, and so on.

I think that I'm just going to have to accept that there's going to be some overscan, until I buy a new TV.

Ovescan is pretty easy to recognise when you lose the bottom of subtitles, or when the terms\conditions on adverts go off of the bottom of the screen on a new device but not on the old one. Or when channel logos are half of the screen.

I'm also losing some of the Virgin Media menus.

It's more an annoyance than anything else, I don't think that it's fixable.

And so ends the lesson, buy a decent TV.

Or that people out here in the real world still own legacy equipment.

It's why open source media center teams like Kodi build overscan correction into their systems. They know that their users often have diverse or legacy systems.

It's an older TV, it shows up all of the options all of the time, but any that you can't use are just greyed out.

The overscan correction will only be available if it's a 1080 source on a 1080 monitor. It will be greyed out if neither are present. Its purpose is to give one on one pixel mapping. Your aren't missing any intended viewing by having the tv overscan as all HD content is designed to allow for it. If anything correcting overscan shows more of the scene than intended. The reason for overscan is for people still using CRT TVs as they are not all calibrated the same so the picture is made to be bigger than the screen so the edge of the picture is not visible on screen.
HD 101: Overscan and why all TVs do it

Last edited:
It's just a little irritating.

I don't think you can class Bush as even legacy[emoji23]

The Bush brand still exists, it's retailed through Argos.

The do a good range of middle-of-the-row TVs for people who "just want to watch TV", without fussing over every little detail of the picture\sound.

For a lot of us out here in the real world, who aren't videophiles, they are perfectly adequate and are sold at an attractive price.

I tend to watch a lot of older movies, so a big fancy 4K tv is a waste of money. My TV displays at a higher quality than most of my source material can provide. Hence I have never seen the need update it.

Why drop the extra money for the latest TV when all you're watching are SD movies?

I thought you had to fight for Bush TVs at Asda?

Any way a better quality tv not 4k even will produce a better SD picture.

I thought you had to fight for Bush TVs at Asda?

You'd have to fight for them, as they'd be quite rare.

They are sold through Argos.

So are they more upmarket than Polaroid?

Maybe you should take the case off some of your electronics.

It'd wager that a fair bit of it is simply a re-badged version of a brand that you wouldn't want to be associated with.

Just look how many items sold under Western brand names are really just re-badged Huawei.

A lot of the internal components in a Bush TV are just off the shelf components, the same as in more expensive brands.

Any way a better quality tv not 4k even will produce a better SD picture.

Not always, and only up to a certain level. You can't exceed the quality of the original source material.

When you're dealing with older SD content you get to a certain level of quality, and after that you're basically throwing money away with increasing diminishing returns. The more you spend on a TV, the less you have to show for it.

I'd rather save my money for something that's more important, or which gets me a better return.

Put a classic B\W western copied from from a VHS onto a £300 TV, or a £3000 TV, and tell me with a straight face that you will see any real difference.

So are they more upmarket than Polaroid?

I think Bush are somewhere between Polariod and Blaupunkt? The least desirable brand is Emeroid TV though which no one wants :thumbsdow There are always piles of them left over after the sales.

Last edited:
There you go again. You should have purchased Betamax.

Sunny, Panacota and Singsong are all good makes :nono:

Friends wife bought him a Bush 48"hd tv a few years ago. He asked me over to see if I could tweak the pic as he was not impressed. It really wasn't very good and you could't get it any better no matter what you adjusted. So I have to disagree with you regarding your take on cheaper tv brands.

The original Bush company went out of business over a decade ago. I could look it up for you. Current Bush TVs are just badged imports either of Chinese or Turkish origin which are sold through low cost vendors. Often the same set of electronics will appear in several different branded TVs. Sometimes this can be demonstrated in stores where the remote for one brand of TV appears to be recognised by another. Basically you get what you pay for.

I think Bush are somewhere between Polariod and Blaupunkt? The least desirable brand is Emeroid TV though which no one wants :thumbsdow There are always piles of them left over after the sales.

You're behind the time, Bush TVs are pretty good middle-of-the-range sets. They exceed the quality of media that can be contained on a DVD. If you get a bad picture form a Bush, then the problem is likely with your source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom