Panasonic announces soundbars, SC-HTB900, SC-HTB700, SC-HTB510 for 2019 - news discussion

nice to see new Panasonic sound bars. they just work out of the box and are no trouble with other makes of tv..

regards o..

anyone know if the soundbar has to support eARC or just the TV?

anyone know if the soundbar has to support eARC or just the TV?
Both have to support it. Just ARC was mentioned in the review though so it's doubtful these soundbars will support EARC

Is there a release date and prices for these?

Can anyone hazard a guess as to the price of these 3 soundbars? Are they likely to be high end prices? I'm looking to spend about £250-£300.

I'm probably going to go for the Yamaha YAS-207 but want to see what these are like before committing.

Last edited:
Spoken to Panasonic and they reckon these will be out end of May or beginning of June. No word on price though.

John Lewis have the SC-HTB510 listed for £299.95 which means the SC-HTB700 will be waaaaaaay out of my price range.

This makes it between the Yamaha YAS-270 or Sony HT-X8500? Any help appreciated!

Noticed a few shops now selling the SC-HT900 for £699.

Hopefully reviews will come soon as the specs look good, though no up firing speakers.

2 x hdmi inputs
Dolby Atmos & DTSX (not forgetting a large range of other Dolby and DTS codecs)

Why dont't they have more than 2 hdmi ports? I can't think of any reason why they have only 1 or 2 ports. Come on Panasonic, you can do better than that.

The SC-HTB700 is at £500 delivery 20th July. I might be intersted in this one but will wait until more mainstream stores have this. I notice the 510 is a John Lewis exclusive so I'm hoping the 700 is like the 900 and not exclusive to any store.

I played with the 900 at John Lewis Swindon this weekend, it was attached to the new panasonic oled which was running the standard demo content which was not the greatest for audio.

Nice bulky piece of kit, integrates well with the panasonic tv stands from the last few years. Sounded really nice with excellent bass.

I was not getting any atmos effect though, that was hopefully down to the content and the way it was hooked up.

I cant see it selling many units at £699 considering it has no up firing speakers, I cant see how it differs that much to the sony zf9 soundbar which is significantly cheaper and you can add rears to.

I will try and take an atmos sample in next time and see if they will let me hook it up.

The pics don't seem to show up firing speakers but it says:
The HTB900 and HTB700 both feature upward and forward firing speakers and the sound waves that reflect back from the ceiling help create the 3D audio immersion found in Atmos and DTS:X.

or am i missing something?

The pics don't seem to show up firing speakers but it says:
The HTB900 and HTB700 both feature upward and forward firing speakers and the sound waves that reflect back from the ceiling help create the 3D audio immersion found in Atmos and DTS:X.

or am i missing something?

I hadn't read that. Just looked at the pictures and assumed there weren't any like the zf9 so I didn't particularly look that hard. There is grill on the top, I assumed it was just aesthetic. There is also a sort of trench behind that I'm not sure if anything might come out of there. The place I tested it had high ceilings so sound bouncing would not have worked, certainly not at the distance I was away from it.

That certainly makes it a much more interesting prospect for me, much more similar in spec to the Samsung 850/q80 bars.

Noticed a few shops now selling the SC-HT900 for £699.

Hopefully reviews will come soon as the specs look good, though no up firing speakers.

2 x hdmi inputs
Dolby Atmos & DTSX (not forgetting a large range of other Dolby and DTS codecs)

@peppadapig69 it looks like it has upfiring just incase you dismissed it I tagged you in

Just been through dozens of expanded diagrams and none of them show up firing speakers.

Also just read from a Japanese site that it does not pass through hdr10+ or dolby vision which is rather disappointing

If you read the text on the panasonic site news 18th February it has all the info on the upward firing speakers but I agree the pictures don't concur

I played with the 900 at John Lewis Swindon this weekend, it was attached to the new panasonic oled which was running the standard demo content which was not the greatest for audio.

Nice bulky piece of kit, integrates well with the panasonic tv stands from the last few years. Sounded really nice with excellent bass.

I was not getting any atmos effect though, that was hopefully down to the content and the way it was hooked up.

I cant see it selling many units at £699 considering it has no up firing speakers, I cant see how it differs that much to the sony zf9 soundbar which is significantly cheaper and you can add rears to.

I will try and take an atmos sample in next time and see if they will let me hook it up.

I listened to the 900 today in JL connected to a 65” panny GZ950. Like you, the demo didn’t help much but the rep connected her phone to it and streamed the trailer for Jurassic world. I thought the dialog was excellent with rich loud bass. Again no impression of atmos due to a large showroom with high ceilings.
I think the 700 would do me fine and they are offering £100 when bought with any panny tv, which I am looking at doing.
I will def go back and listen more.

Just been through dozens of expanded diagrams and none of them show up firing speakers.

Also just read from a Japanese site that it does not pass through hdr10+ or dolby vision which is rather disappointing

Hi. Sorry for such a dumb question, as it’s all about learning for me, but in what sort of situation would you want pass through?
Many thanks

Hi. Sorry for such a dumb question, as it’s all about learning for me, but in what sort of situation would you want pass through?
Many thanks

No such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers. In my setup I have last year's panny oled, it only has 2 hdmi sockets capable of hdr10+. One of which is the arc which this soundbar will be plugged into. So by this not having hdr10+ pass through I am left with only 1 hdr10+ socket as opposed to the 3 I could have if it had pass through.

Currently 1 is enough for my hdr10+ disc player but who knows what the future may bring with next gen games consoles.

Edit note: after thinking about it there's actually a much bigger issue, my TV won't pass through atmos, the only way I can get Atmos is by going: disc spinner>soundbar>tv. This means the hdr10+ won't be passed through to my TV so in my setup with this soundbar I can either have Atmos or hdr10+ but not both! What a mess.

Last edited:
No such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers. In my setup I have last year's panny oled, it only has 2 hdmi sockets capable of hdr10+. One of which is the arc which this soundbar will be plugged into. So by this not having hdr10+ pass through I am left with only 1 hdr10+ socket as opposed to the 3 I could have if it had pass through.

Currently 1 is enough for my hdr10+ disc player but who knows what the future may bring with next gen games consoles.

Edit note: after thinking about it there's actually a much bigger issue, my TV won't pass through atmos, the only way I can get Atmos is by going: disc spinner>soundbar>tv. This means the hdr10+ won't be passed through to my TV so in my setup with this soundbar I can either have Atmos or hdr10+ but not both! What a mess.

Really helpful, thanks for the detailed explanation

Hi,
Does anyone knows if they are any review of the SC-HTB900 yet or soon to be published? I can't find any on the web. My room configuration makes soundbars with top and side speakers useless, so this one could be a good solution.

Hi,
Does anyone knows if they are any review of the SC-HTB900 yet or soon to be published? I can't find any on the web. My room configuration makes soundbars with top and side speakers useless, so this one could be a good solution.

I’m on the lookout for a review but haven’t found one I’m afraid. I’ve ordered one with my new Panasonic tv to be delivered this coming week, which I did after listening to it and a few other popular ones in John Lewis and RS. I would say it was up there with the best of the others and figure it should work well with a Panasonic tv. If I see any reviews I will put a message here. Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom