Panasonic AX802 gets 4K Netflix Update - news discussion

What about TV signals in 4K via DVB-S? Are either the AX802 or AX902 capable of displaying them?

What about TV signals in 4K via DVB-S? Are either the AX802 or AX902 capable of displaying them?

Which UK broadcaster broadcasts anything in 4K? By the time a UK broadcaster does then this TV will have in all probability been replaced by whatever the manufacturers have dreamed up between now and then to lull the next generation of early adopters into parting with their money.

The BBC haven't even completed their regional switch to 1080i HD yet and have had to roll this out incrementally due to funding issues. If it becomes a reality then I'd put my money on SKY being the first provider to facilitate 4K TV broadcasting via satellite and you'd use an STB as opposed to the TV's inbuilt tuner to access this.

I believe that Yappa was referring to the 4K test channels, that run continuously on a couple of the European satellites.

Exactly. I don't know about you, but I am not only restricted to one satellite position.
There are more satellites than the british one, for example Astra 19,2 with the Astra UHD demo channel which will have a live broadcast of tomorrow's Linking Park concert, see Experience the World’s First UHD Live Concert : Linkin Park
Samsung 4K TV owners will be able to watch it.

Exactly. I don't know about you, but I am not only restricted to one satellite position.
There are more satellites than the british one, for example Astra 19,2 with the Astra UHD demo channel which will have a live broadcast of tomorrow's Linking Park concert, see Experience the World’s First UHD Live Concert : Linkin Park
Samsung 4K TV owners will be able to watch it.
I assume it's not just Samsung Tvs that can receive it but any 4k TV with a satellite input and HEVC decoder built in?

Is there a data path from the DVB tuner to the HEVC decoder in this set though? Anyone on AVF got this set with a dish pointed at 19.2?

welcome to the world of crap 4k. LP were rehearsing last night. pq was dire. Worse than netfix 4k and that's not praising Netflix 4k quality.

I was trying to find this UHD demo channel on my Sony X9005B last night with no luck, does it broadcast 24hrs? I searched the frequency I thought it was on ie 10994 but it just said no services found..

yeah 24hrs you have a dish pointed at 19.2east? SKY are @ 28.2 so if your using that it wont work

yeah 24hrs you have a dish pointed at 19.2east? SKY are @ 28.2 so if your using that it wont work
Yeah I've got an astra feed, did a full scan and it found 800 odd channels, one was called UHDTV I think but when I tune to it it said 'service not available' and I thought the demo channel was called something more obvious than just UHDTV, perhaps the X9005B can't use its HEVC decoder with the sat input...

there are a few, you want the 1 named Astra uhd

Yeah I've got an astra feed, did a full scan and it found 800 odd channels, one was called UHDTV I think but when I tune to it it said 'service not available' and I thought the demo channel was called something more obvious than just UHDTV, perhaps the X9005B can't use its HEVC decoder with the sat input...

no idea if the sony tv now supports hevc via its sat tuner, unless the recent update fixed it

As far as I know none of the Sony 4K TVs have the necessary HEVC support, so no wonder that you didn't find anything.

I recorded it and played it via usb. 30mbit video fell apart when there was strobe lighting. Real time encoding of this kind of material is a nightmare to get right. Way to go Samsung and ASTRA on your worlds first half assery

I got 19.2e satellite installed last week in order to watch f1 not on live on bbc1. I have the panasonic 50ax802b tv. I found that SES Ultra HD test tv channel. I only receive audio from it - no picture. However, that was with using the internal satellite tuner. I'm getting a external HD tuner for the German stations on Monday. Hoping if I connect it through hdmi4 that it will be processed by the hevc so I can obtain a picture as well. But I won't hold my breath!!!!

. I'm getting a external HD tuner for the German stations on Monday. Hoping if I connect it through hdmi4 that it will be processed by the hevc so I can obtain a picture as well. But I won't hold my breath!!!!

No that will never work, your sat box demodulates the dvb-s2 stream and decodes its and sends to tv, for hevc your box will not support decoding so you will get no picture this data gets sent to tv, the tv does not decode anything through hdmi except audio if you bitsream. The only way to make use of the hevc decoder in tv is via the onboard tuner or usb or lan port on tv for media playback or a smart tv app.

No that will never work, your sat box demodulates the dvb-s2 stream and decodes its and sends to tv, for hevc your box will not support decoding so you will get no picture this data gets sent to tv, the tv does not decode anything through hdmi except audio if you bitsream. The only way to make use of the hevc decoder in tv is via the onboard tuner or usb or lan port on tv for media playback or a smart tv app.

Thanks for your reply. However, I tried doing that through the built in freesat tuner but it still wouldn't produce a 4K picture - only audio. The hevc chip must work as I have no problem getting Netflix 4K.
Is there some setting on the TV that needs to be changed in order to view SES ultra hd test channel?

Thanks for your reply. However, I tried doing that through the built in freesat tuner but it still wouldn't produce a 4K picture - only audio. The hevc chip must work as I have no problem getting Netflix 4K.
Is there some setting on the TV that needs to be changed in order to view SES ultra hd test channel?

No setting, for some reason it doesn't work at the moment, it will on an AX902. You can download the content here: Demo UHD-3D

No setting, for some reason it doesn't work at the moment, it will on an AX902. You can download the content here: Demo UHD-3D

Thanks again for your reply. With the tv already having an HEVC installed I am sure Panasonic could do a software update to enable viewing of Ultra HD channels from satellite. Obviously, 4K viewing will be something for the future. I just don't fancy having to change my tv again just to enable viewing if the the hardware is already in my current tv (tx-50as802b) which just needs a bit of tweaking.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom