Panasonic DMP-UB400 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Yes it does. Dolby Atmos on disc is delivered using Dolby TrueHD, so as long as a player can output bitstream TrueHD over HDMI, then by default it supports Dolby Atmos. And as pointed above, you need to turn secondary audio off.
It took me a while to get around to swapping my stuff around to try this out and somehow, I just don't seem to get Atmos. I've got the player connected to HDMI2 on my Panasonic SC-HTB900 which supports Atmos. I've checked the player settings and made sure that everything is set to bitstream and secondary audio is off, but when I play a 4k disc with Atmos, such as "1917" or "Rise of Skywalker" the sound bar reports that it's receiving Dolby True HD, not Atmos. Bringing up the info screen for the UB400 also shows Dolby True HD, not Atmos. I'm stumped. To be fair, it sounds great, but in typical FOMO I wanted to see 'Atmos' somewhere:) Does anyone have any ideas?

It took me a while to get around to swapping my stuff around to try this out and somehow, I just don't seem to get Atmos. I've got the player connected to HDMI2 on my Panasonic SC-HTB900 which supports Atmos. I've checked the player settings and made sure that everything is set to bitstream and secondary audio is off, but when I play a 4k disc with Atmos, such as "1917" or "Rise of Skywalker" the sound bar reports that it's receiving Dolby True HD, not Atmos. Bringing up the info screen for the UB400 also shows Dolby True HD, not Atmos. I'm stumped. To be fair, it sounds great, but in typical FOMO I wanted to see 'Atmos' somewhere:) Does anyone have any ideas?
Dolby Atmos is delivered via a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, so the info screen on the UB400 is correct. DTS:X is delivered via DTS-HD MA, so conversely you should see that on the player's info screen for DTS:X soundtracks. I would have expected the HTB900 to show Atmos or DTS:X when decoding these soundtracks, but maybe it doesn't and just shows TrueHD or DTS-HD MA instead (it's been a while since I saw this soundbar, so I can't remember).

Dolby Atmos is delivered via a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack, so the info screen on the UB400 is correct. DTS:X is delivered via DTS-HD MA, so conversely you should see that on the player's info screen for DTS:X soundtracks. I would have expected the HTB900 to show Atmos or DTS:X when decoding these soundtracks, but maybe it doesn't and just shows TrueHD or DTS-HD MA instead (it's been a while since I saw this soundbar, so I can't remember).
Thanks for taking the time to reply, Steve. I'll have to experiment with DTS and see what that throws up. As I said, it still sounds great and I wonder if I'd actually notice much difference between Atmos and True HD on a soundbar.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Steve. I'll have to experiment with DTS and see what that throws up. As I said, it still sounds great and I wonder if I'd actually notice much difference between Atmos and True HD on a soundbar.
Your soundbar uses psychoacoustic processing for Atmos and DTS:X, so the level of immersion will be limited.

Your soundbar uses psychoacoustic processing for Atmos and DTS:X, so the level of immersion will be limited.
After lots of fiddling with settings over the last couple of days, I've cracked it. There is a 3D Surround setting on the HTB900 which I'd set to off. I hadn't given it a thought until today, but I switched it 'on' and voila, the sound bar displays that it's receiving Atmos. Thanks for your help @Steve Withers

Hi. Quick overview. Have a LG something or other TV, a DMP-UB400, Onkyo NR686, Q Acoustics 7.1 setup ect. I had never got ATMOS working since Jan when I got the receiver. Having always used optical in preference believing it to be best from the old days had not realised the bandwidth limitation :( Got ATMOS working for the first time in past couple of days :) thanks to advice on here to use HDMI.

For those having DLNA audio issues with AAC encoded files, there is a bit of freeware (TFM Audio Tool) that will reencode in AC3 or DTS which in my experience fixes the 'no audio' issue. OK if you have the will. ( I have noticed some AAC files now playing via HDMI :S)

I am still trying to get TRUEHD working from MKV files (of owned disks, liking the convenience). I read somewhere that setting up the Network Drive option to Windows shares helps the issue, but am unable to get it to see my Win 10 shares. I see that the device name is DMP-UB400. How would I configure the firewall to allow it? I have noted your comments above btw, but am curious.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Hi. Quick overview. Have a LG something or other TV, a DMP-UB400, Onkyo NR686, Q Acoustics 7.1 setup ect. I had never got ATMOS working since Jan when I got the receiver. Having always used optical in preference believing it to be best from the old days had not realised the bandwidth limitation :( Got ATMOS working for the first time in past couple of days :) thanks to advice on here to use HDMI.

For those having DLNA audio issues with AAC encoded files, there is a bit of freeware (TFM Audio Tool) that will reencode in AC3 or DTS which in my experience fixes the 'no audio' issue. OK if you have the will. ( I have noticed some AAC files now playing via HDMI :S)

I am still trying to get TRUEHD working from MKV files (of owned disks, liking the convenience). I read somewhere that setting up the Network Drive option to Windows shares helps the issue, but am unable to get it to see my Win 10 shares. I see that the device name is DMP-UB400. How would I configure the firewall to allow it? I have noted your comments above btw, but am curious.

Hope this is useful to someone.
Panasonic players won't playback HD soundtracks (True HD/Atmos/DTS-HD/DTS-X) from mkv files. so even if you see the files it won't be able to produce audio from them. OK though with non HD soundtracks.

Is there a thread or any suggestion on a player that does play HD soundtracks over DLNA? Even older ones that I would have to find 2nd hand?

Is there a thread or any suggestion on a player that does play HD soundtracks over DLNA? Even older ones that I would have to find 2nd hand?

For that purpose you are better off with a dedicated media player. I have a Roku Premiere that plays just about everything I tried, even 4K files. You can find them for under £40. (Don't confuse with the Roku Express, it's not as good as it has weaker processor). It's not the fastest or slickest media player, but it works out of the box, and the Roku supports pretty much every other streaming service. It's also a really tiny little box, so easy find a place for it

A more refined option is the Apple TV. More expensive, but with the Infuse app installed, it plays pretty much any video file including HD audio with a very slick interface.

There are also plenty of Android TV boxes, or a Raspberry Pi with Kodi installed, but these are not necessarily "plug & play" solutions.

Hi all,
I am starting to get a few cases of playback breaking up or stuttering like there is something physical on the disk. Disk looks fine so I wonder if the player is failing. Anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions for a replacement?

Cheers

Tommo

Hi all,
I am starting to get a few cases of playback breaking up or stuttering like there is something physical on the disk. Disk looks fine so I wonder if the player is failing. Anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions for a replacement?

Cheers

Tommo
Might be the laser lens is dirty.
Do you get the problem with DVD, Blu-ray and UHD?

So far just a couple of Blu-rays, but not every disk. Can lens be cleaned easily?
You can buy lens cleaner discs. Haven't used any so can't recommend one but loads listed with reviews at amazon. Just search there for 'blu-ray lens cleaner'

I have the UB400 player, I chose it because my tv doesn't have Dolby so it suits me.

You get two HDMI output (functions can be altered in the menu settings) and optical out.

Blu-ray audio by optical is slightly out of sync on my LG tv/amp combo but if you use a sound bar this may not trouble you.
An amp with HDMI audio should be time aligned. This player is designed for amplifiers which cannot pass on HDMI 2.1 signal; you can assign the 2nd HDMI for audio only and the 1st HDMI for video at 2.1
I don't use multi-channel but it is available if you do.

Is everyone still getting Amazon Prime video on their UB400. My app displays all the menus but I can’t play video. It used work but no more.
Is it just my machine?

Netflix still works...

I was watching a dvd yesterday and the picture was very poor. The upscale control didn't help so the source received by lg 4k tv was 1080p which was further degraded by the TV to stretch it to 4K

Any tips?

Last edited:
I was watching a dvd yesterday and the picture was very poor. The upscale control didn't help so the source received by lg 4k tv was 1080p which was further degraded by the TV to stretch it to 4K

Any tips?
It's a big ask for any device to upscale SD DVD to 4K and very much depends on good the actual original PQ of the DVD is. I got rid of all of my DVDs, apart from music concerts, because some of them looked so bad. Others with a renown PQ looked passable but never great. More likely than not the upscaling abilities of the TV outperform that of the player.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, or so the saying says.

That's what I thought too. But sometimes the show is worth bearing with the noise.

The answer is to hook up my old Sony Blu-ray player set to HDMI/original picture quality.

The dvd has 576p so no wonder it's struggling.

On the lg tv I adjusted Standard picture for max Trumotion, smoothing, de-noising. Its slightly worse than catch up TV streaming, but no adverts ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom