Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Also remember anyone with a 2015+ Panasonic HDR TV can just turn HDR off in the setup menu on the port the UB900 is connected too. Your then get SDR 4K 24p but still 4:4:4 12bit. You can even change it on the fly. As in while watching a UHD the UB900 will suddenly notice HDR isn't being received anymore and go blank and come back with them settings above. If you then turn HDR back on it kicks straight back on again after again going blank for a few seconds.

I have found it very handy. Most UHDs look a lot better in HDR so just leave it on. But i have noticed a few "enders game" lool looks better in SDR so i turn HDR off sometimes.

I don't think camera crews or producers have got a full handle on HDR yet. Some HDR material looks so much better than others with the same settings etc. Something is wrong with Enders games HDR or it has been badly filmed in HDR i dunno.

I have a feeling quite a few people on here will like sdr2020. Also depends on there TV.

Ender's Game has been flat-out mastered incorrectly, as was Expandables 3.

And yes, SDR 2020 is rather excellent.

Looks like this thread is very quiet and Oppo guys pushing theirs....
So just saying, that UB900 is working flawlessly, very silently and plays everything! :D

Looks like this thread is very quiet and Oppo guys pushing theirs....
So just saying, that UB900 is working flawlessly, very silently and plays everything! :D

Yep same here.
Not many issues = quiet thread. :)

I'm sure it'll pick up when the next big firmware arrives.

I find it a fantastic bluray and UHD player. I also use it for Netflix and Amazon 4k, so would like 24p streaming and HDR on Amazon. Apart from that it's perfect.

Hi Talgo and others,

I have this player and think the picture quality is amazing when playing bluray or 4K discs. However I'm struggling to get Netflix 4K content.
I am subscribed to Netflix 4K, I can watch Netflix UHD on my TV using the LG app, but for some reason UHD does not appear as an option on programmes when I access Netflix through the DMP-UB900.
When using the LG app UHD content appears as default, however on this player I have to search for UHD programmes and even then it only shows as available to me in HD. I am connected to the internet using a fast wired connection. Wondered if there was a setting somewhere that I have to change?

I've actually just fixed my problem with playing streaming UHD content from Netflix.

Called Panasonic and they explained how to perform a 3 button reset from the remote.
This caused the player to perform a total reset to factory settings.
After re-entering my network settings and Netflix log in details, I now have UHD available.

Sorry just seen this.. glad you got it sorted .. should be able to do hdr too. I was going to suggest reloading the netflix app from the netflix menu but you are already sorted..

Hi, I've just in-boxed a UB900 and I can't for the life of me get it to bitstream Atmos or DTS-HD 7.1 audio from MKV rips over my network.
Had a Dune HD which worked absolutely fine, and was hoping to replace it with this Panasonic.
Am I doing something wrong? or do I need to take this back and go for something else... Oppo 203?

It can't do it, Oppo can

Can only play certain mkv's also

I've actually just fixed my problem with playing streaming UHD content from Netflix.

Called Panasonic and they explained how to perform a 3 button reset from the remote.
This caused the player to perform a total reset to factory settings.
After re-entering my network settings and Netflix log in details, I now have UHD available.
Hi, how do you perform the 3 button reset please?

Hi, how do you perform the 3 button reset please?

From the Panasonic website.

1. Turn the unit on.
  2. Press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
  3. Press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display.
  4. Press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds.

Troubleshooting - To return all settings to the factory preset. - Panasonic Corporation.

From the Panasonic website.

1. Turn the unit on.
  2. Press and hold [OK], the [Y - Yellow] button and the [B - Blue] button on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
  3. Press [►] right repeatedly on the remote control until “08 FIN” is displayed on the unit’s display.
  4. Press and hold [OK] for more than 5 seconds.

Troubleshooting - To return all settings to the factory preset. - Panasonic Corporation.
Thanks ever so much. Just taken delivery today and thought this'd be helpful if I need to do. So far so good though.

I have to see if I can play The Grand Tour yet on Amazon as failed completely last time.

The last update add another pain in the bum. If you forget to remove a Bluray and want to watch Netflix it auto play the Disc and I couldn't a button that would exit me back to the Main menu!
So hopefully these have been fixed

The last update add another pain in the bum. If you forget to remove a Bluray and want to watch Netflix it auto play the Disc and I couldn't a button that would exit me back to the Main menu!
So hopefully these have been fixed
If blu-ray is playing press stop on your remote several times. It should then drop back to the main menu (takes a few seconds for it to appear).

There is also a home button right next to the netflix button.

I have just got used to starting the player with the eject button now.

Last edited:
If blu-ray is playing press stop on your remote several times. It should then drop back to the main menu (takes a few seconds for it to appear).
This didn't work, and in the past it had worked fine.

Hi,

Please be gentle with me as this is my first post in a discussion thread.
I have a Panasonic TX-50DX700B and a Denon AVR-X2300W, I'm currently running an Xbox One s as a 4K player but I'd like to pick up a Panasonic DMP-UB900 and I have a couple of questions.
I know you can split the audio and picture by running the audio to the amp, is there any benefit that I would notice in doing this ? Also if I do this what would be a good HDMI lead to use for the picture as I need I longer cable as it's in the wall.

I'm really sorry if this has been covered before.

Best regards Andrew

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi Talgo,

Thanks for the reply, the link also doesn't work for me but I will have a look and see if I can find it. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom