Question Panasonic DMR-BWT720 Loss of Apps & Wi-Fi Connection.

Garrett

Reaction score
I cant say I used the internet connection much since I had a TV that I can get to it circumventing it but tried get on the apps and the player could not connect to the net, when I tried to set up the wi fi connection said it could not pick up a signal (while other stuff in the room can and near to it).
So I wired it and went to the apps and found all but 2 were missing. So though this could be a update, so when I went into the settings to update the software it said it had the latest software.
I know its an old machine but know the recent models have a shed load more apps is it that the apps have changed and Panasonic are not updating software for old machines. But still still should get a wi fi connection.

I've heard of problems of this nature when the clock is not correct - and given that the clocks just went back, it is a possible cause.

I've heard of problems of this nature when the clock is not correct - and given that the clocks just went back, it is a possible cause.
Is the clock not set via the guide signal as it recorded programs at the right times today?

In days past the clock setting used to be taken from BBC1. I'm not sure where it is derived these days.

But the recordings are more guided by guide record signals than actual time, and for some reason many machines do not update their time correctly, so it is worth checking if the clock is right or not.

If it appears to be correct, try disconnecting the machine from the mains for a few minutes then try again.

Mine does not show the clock time the only place I see a clock/time is at the top of the page when I go to the guide.

See page 98 of the manual about setting the clock manually - but before you do that - I recommend two things.

There have been many broadcasting changes in recent months - so if you have not recently done a retune, I strongly recommend you do one. It is possible that where the clock updating comes from is no longer being received by the machine - hence the need for a retune.

Secondly - and before you do a retune - do the power disconnection.

See page 98 of the manual about setting the clock manually - but before you do that - I recommend two things.

There have been many broadcasting changes in recent months - so if you have not recently done a retune, I strongly recommend you do one. It is possible that where the clock updating comes from is no longer being received by the machine - hence the need for a retune.

Secondly - and before you do a retune - do the power disconnection.

Just to let you know I waited till a lot of channels had been moved this last week and disconnected the players power for 5 minutes reconnected and re tuned, and its still the same not picking up wi fi and the clock the right time.

I cant say I used the internet connection much since I had a TV that I can get to it circumventing it but tried get on the apps and the player could not connect to the net, when I tried to set up the wi fi connection said it could not pick up a signal (while other stuff in the room can and near to it).
So I wired it and went to the apps and found all but 2 were missing. So though this could be a update, so when I went into the settings to update the software it said it had the latest software.
I know its an old machine but know the recent models have a shed load more apps is it that the apps have changed and Panasonic are not updating software for old machines. But still still should get a wi fi connection.
I don't have a suggestion for the wi-fi fix - but as you mention very little in the way of decent apps are now available on the 720 . The only 2 that seem remotely useful are BBC iPlayer and Netflix . I don't subscribe to Netflix so can't say if that still works . No other Freeview catch up service appears in the Panasonic store so I have stopped using the 720 network facility completely ( although it is still enabled in setup ) and go via my 850.
Panasonic are making no effort to update their software or add apps to the store - so the Chrome web app is way out of date , no Disney + app, no Britbox app , no BBC Sounds app . I only use Freeview catch up on the Panasonic 850 - for everything else I use an Android TV box . Panasonic as a network device is a dead end.

I got the latest model of this whilst it was away for repair (over 6 month) and the guide menu system pretty appalling but put it in the place of where the 720 is and it picked a Wi Fi signal up and had loads of aps in fact also had to tune an other device at the same location and it picked up wi fi.
It also been struggling to switch of for about 2 weeks I been getting 2 stations swapping channels and o different dates and kept getting a banner to move although when they move still got the stations where they originally were e.g. if moved to 38 I could still get at 40 despite re tuning. Anyway after all the stationed moved it still would not switch off, just kept preparing to switch off but never did. I burned some home videos of just incase the unit went and some were of an Hi8 and had to be left over night.
Anyway came in the morning it switched off and the stations were in the right place.
Although not cured the lack of apps or wi fi.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom