Panasonic DMR-HW120EBK Pin Reset??

Smartdaz9682

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I picked up a Panasonic DMR-HW120EBK from ebay this week but it came with a parentak control. I've tried all the obvious numbers including 0000 to no luck.

The manual says to hold OK as well as YELLOW and BLUE buttons for 5 seconds to get into the menu to reset it but no menu appears for me at all. All the buttons are working seperately but seem to do nothing when pressed together. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

See the top of page 73 in your manual about Child lock.

Also see this thread about Pin number issues. (... for a different machine but still relevant to this one)

Regarding seeing the menu - It may be there but you are not seeing it because the TV is not auto-switching to the HDMI output... so manually set your TV to the HDMI input that you have this unit connected to first.

Reset procedure:

1 - While the unit is on, press and hold [OK], the yellow button and the blue button at the
same time for more than 5 seconds. • “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
2 - Repeatedly press (right) until “03 VL” is displayed on the unit’s display.
3 - Press [OK]. • “INIT” is displayed on the unit’s display.

Appreciate the reply but as my post already says the pin has been changed and those buttons are not working at all. No menu comes up on my display.

The TV is on my HDMI channel as I can watch the channels.

Welcome to the forum.

See the top of page 73 in your manual about Child lock.

Also see this thread about Pin number issues. (... for a different machine but still relevant to this one)

Regarding seeing the menu - It may be there but you are not seeing it because the TV is not auto-switching to the HDMI output... so manually set your TV to the HDMI input that you have this unit connected to first.

Reset procedure:

1 - While the unit is on, press and hold [OK], the yellow button and the blue button at the
same time for more than 5 seconds. • “00 RET” is displayed on the unit’s display.
2 - Repeatedly press (right) until “03 VL” is displayed on the unit’s display.
3 - Press [OK]. • “INIT” is displayed on the unit’s display.

Have you manually set input selection as suggested?

Have you manually set input selection as suggested?

I'm not really sure what you mean. My Tv is on my HDMI channel. It's on I can see it it's on. According the manual when doing the OK YELLOW and BLUE method the actual display on my PVR changes. Nothing on screen does anyway. So even if the TV was off (Which it isn't) that should still work.

OK - forget that.

I cannot account for why the machine's display is not changing... assuming the OK , Blue and Yellow buttons all work.

I've not heard of this problem but I am wondering if the button combination only works when the remote code setting is at default ( probably set 1)
You should be able to find out what remote set is being used by trawling in the 'others' Settings in Setup.

However, before going there I suggest trying a power reset first ( mains disconnection for a minute) followed by another attempt at the OK Yellow blue procedure.

If that fails, try the factory reset - followed by the pin reset procedure.

1. Checked buttons. All work as if I press them seperately the display on my PVR flashes to indicate a button press. The flash however does not happen if I press all buttons at once.

2. Checked remote code. It was already set to 1 for unit and remote

3. Unplugged for a couple of mins and plugged back in. Still no luck with the 3 buttons.

4. Did default settings reset. Still no joy.

However ......... I think I have just found out what the reason might be. It's something I never even noticed to be honest. I looked at the remote control and noticed it says "DVD" at the top left and bottom, It is an official Panasonic remote though. Where as the remote that should have come with it should say HDD Recorder.

I still have OK and Yellow and Blue but it seems as though it doesn't access the same menu as the actual HDD recorder remote does. Is there any way to make the DVD remote (Which is identical to the HDD remote) do that? Or will I have to go buy the original remote?

OK - forget that.

I cannot account for why the machine's display is not changing... assuming the OK , Blue and Yellow buttons all work.

I've not heard of this problem but I am wondering if the button combination only works when the remote code setting is at default ( probably set 1)
You should be able to find out what remote set is being used by trawling in the 'others' Settings in Setup.

However, before going there I suggest trying a power reset first ( mains disconnection for a minute) followed by another attempt at the OK Yellow blue procedure.

If that fails, try the factory reset - followed by the pin reset procedure.

Note that default setting reset is not quite the same as a factory reset - so it may still be worth trying that.

Regarding the remote, having DVD on it may be misleading as these are usually pretty standard Panasonic remotes that would work for DVD players / recorders too.

Does it match the picture on page 10 of the manual? The only difference should be that you will not have button 22 which is only present on the HW220 ( or it may be present but has no function on this machine)

Clutching at straws - you can reset the remote by removing the batteries and pushing all ( or as many as possible ) the buttons at the same time.

If still no results, I can only suggest contacting Panasonic support ( Contact points here.)

Remote looks identical to page 10 but the function of the buttons are different. Example under yellow and blue on the page 10 remote is TEXT and STTL yet mine are at the bottom left and many others have moved also. Although it seems as though Yellow and Blue and OK are exact I'm starting to think for some reason my PVR isn't picking them up together as such. Maybe the DVD remote doesn't have the ability to multi press and send a signal at the same time?

I tried shipping reset but still nothing. I only have Shipping and Default and tried both.

Note that default setting reset is not quite the same as a factory reset - so it may still be worth trying that.

Regarding the remote, having DVD on it may be misleading as these are usually pretty standard Panasonic remotes that would work for DVD players / recorders too.

Does it match the picture on page 10 of the manual? The only difference should be that you will not have button 22 which is only present on the HW220 ( or it may be present but has no function on this machine)

Clutching at straws - you can reset the remote by removing the batteries and pushing all ( or as many as possible ) the buttons at the same time.

If still no results, I can only suggest contacting Panasonic support ( Contact points here.)

Maybe the DVD remote doesn't have the ability to multi press and send a signal at the same time?

You can check whether it is outputting by pointing it at a camera or phone cam ( any device that has an electronic viewfinder) and checking in the viewfinder whilst you press the buttons. The IR diode should show up.
It is not a guarantee that the right code is being sent - but it is at least a basic functional check.

Yeah I mentioned earlier the actual buttons are working since the display on my PVR shows a little star when it registers a button press. But that does not happen when all three buttons are pushed at the same time.

You can check whether it is outputting by pointing it at a camera or phone cam ( any device that has an electronic viewfinder) and checking in the viewfinder whilst you press the buttons. The IR diode should show up.
It is not a guarantee that the right code is being sent - but it is at least a basic functional check.

My machine is a DMR-HW100, bought from a charity shop for the grand sum of £2.
Only trouble, no remote.
I set my Logitech up and that controls it; but discovered parental lock PIN was changed.
Did the 'shipping condition' reset (now why does that work without a PIN?).
Read the downloaded manual and forums, discovered the three-button advanced menu procedure (and figured only an original handset facilitates this, though considering it now, maybe there's a code for the Logitech to replicate) so ordered replacement original handset, arrived today. Parental PIN reset worked. So Freeview+HD PVR with new handset for £15 total.

However, it still tells me invalid PIN when trying the 'owner PIN' menu item.
I'm wondering what the purpose of the other items in the advanced menu are.
These are:
00 RET
01 OID
03 VL
04 PRG
05 P/N
07 DC
09 CHI
I figure 00 RET is exit (return) but am cautious not to try the others in case their effect is undesirable. But I bet one of them accesses 'Owner PIN reset'
Does anyone know?

The owner ID pin CANNOT be reset anywhere in software. It's a security 'feature'.

But it scarcely matters - The only thing it limits is inputting the owner address - Nothing else.

(That PIN is completely independent of the other Guidance / Parental PIN)

Good bargain BTW.

Last edited:
I have of these boxes and the remote can sometimes be a bit temperamental. Fresh batteries are worth a try. As I recall, there are some issues about the remote control being on the default channel in order for things like PIN reset to work, but I can't remember where I saw that. I'll have a dig around.

If you can't resolve the issue you could try talking to Panasonic or better the eBay seller. He/she should have a note of the PIN that they used. If you don't get anywhere then return the box under the terms provided by ebay/paypal, etc.

Clem

A client of mine has a DMR-HWT150 with exactly the same issue.

None of the factory resets seem to be affecting the PIN and it has no LCD display on the unit itself...

Holding down select, yellow and blue for 3-5 seconds causes the "INFO 1" yellow indicator to start flashing, which I assume is the existence of the hidden menu, but how are you supposed to navigate it without an in built display? Note, nothing changes on the actual HDMI outputted image when the info 1 yellow light is flashing.

Last edited:
A factory reset was going to be my next suggestion - not that I had any faith that it would make a difference.

I think it is time this issue was referred to Panasonic.
Explain to them that the prescribed methods given by the book are not working.

Please contact them using the contact points given at the bottom of this page here

Here is a crosslink to similar issues on a related machine.

I've spoken to Panasonic and they have advised the only way to reset the Owner PIN is to have it reset by a Panasonic Service Centre. Link below to find your local service centre....

I've spoken to Panasonic and they have advised the only way to reset the Owner PIN is to have it reset by a Panasonic Service Centre. Link below to find your local service centre....

Just to be clear here, to avoid confusion, can you confirm you are referring to the Owner ID Pin number, NOT the Parental guidance Pin number.

Owner ID cannot be reset ( by the user)
Parental Guidance Pin CAN be reset by the user.

As far as I'm aware (I could be wrong) you need the Owner ID in order to reset the Parental Guidance PIN, as every single reset procedure they've suggested does not allow me to turn off the parental guidance PIN.

As far as I'm aware (I could be wrong) you need the Owner ID in order to reset the Parental Guidance PIN, as every single reset procedure they've suggested does not allow me to turn off the parental guidance PIN.
It is actually the Parental Guidance PIN that is required to either change that same pin or to turn off the parental guidance feature. ( and can be overridden by a reset procedure)
This PIN is rarely set by the user. It is nearly always at the default 0000.

Much the same applies to the Owner ID pin - The owner ID pin is required to change the owner ID pin or the owner information, but it cannot be reset by a user procedure ( Engineer reset possible only)

This owner PIN is usually set, as it it part of the initial setup procedure of the machine.

The PINs are completely independent.

Last edited:
It is actually the Parental Guidance PIN that is required to either change that same pin or to turn off the parental guidance feature. ( and can be overridden by a reset procedure)
This PIN is rarely set by the user. It is nearly always at the default 0000.

Much the same applies to the Owner ID pin - The owner ID pin is required to change the owner ID pin or the owner information, but it cannot be reset by a user procedure ( Engineer reset possible only)

This owner PIN is usually set, as it it part of the initial setup procedure of the machine.

The PINs are completely independent.

All of above makes sense but it doesn't ring true if there are a lot of people struggling to turn off the parental guidance feature. If it was only the parental guidance PIN controlling the parental guidance feature then a factory reset should surely do the job.

Last edited:
All of above makes sense but it doesn't ring true if there are a lot of people struggling to turn off the parental guidance feature. If it was only the parental guidance PIN controlling the parental guidance feature then a factory reset should surely do the job.
It is difficult to be sure if there is a general problem here or not which may require intervention or explanation from Panasonic... but history has shown in these forums that there is a great deal of user confusion about these PIN numbers ( That there are actually two and that they are independent).

In the past once these confusions are put aside most users seem to find a solution.

There are signs in some of the accounts, that reset procedures are not behaving as expected.
It is difficult to know whether that indicates an actual problem or that the unit has never had the PIN number set so cannot reset.

There is a separate point that the owner ID PIN and owner ID information are totally irrelevant to the functioning of the machine.
The only thing it controls is the owner ID information. A supposed security feature, which in the real world I doubt has ever actually been used to restore a stolen item to its original owner.

Last edited:
It is difficult to be sure if there is a general problem here or not which may require intervention or explanation from Panasonic... but history has shown in these forums that there is a great deal of user confusion about these PIN numbers ( That there are actually two and that they are independent).

In the past once these confusions are put aside most users seem to find a solution.

There are signs in some of the accounts, that reset procedures are not behaving as expected.
It is difficult to know whether that indicates an actual problem or that the unit has never had the PIN number set so cannot reset.

There is a separate point that the owner ID PIN and owner ID information are totally irrelevant to the functioning of the machine.
The only thing it controls is the owner ID information. A supposed security feature, which in the real world I doubt has ever actually been used to restore a stolen item to its original owner.

Below is the response from Babber, the Panasonic service centre for the London area. Quite clearly a copy and paste job but not sure my clients who are in their 80s will appreciate why it will cost so much to have it sorted when it should be much easier to remove a parental guidance PIN.

Please bring the unit to us for repairs or send by courier.

We have a minimum inspection fees of £50 Plus VAT (Non-refundable) paid at the time of booking.

Once the unit is checked and fault is diagnosed we will email you the estimate with parts and labour costs.

Should you go ahead with the repair, the inspection fee is then part of the repair cost.

We do not give any quotes / estimate without having the unit checked in our workshop

I was back at the clients house earlier today and managed to take more photos of the issue...

When you go to the Initialize sub menu within the settings you have two options

1. Shipping Condition
2. Default Settings

IMG_7702.jpg

Both of which state that they have no control over the parental control settings...

IMG_7700.jpg

IMG_7701.jpg

Parental controls (child lock for playback) are ON and cannot be turned OFF without the PIN.

IMG_7665.jpg

IMG_7667.jpg

Pin cannot be changed without the original PIN.

IMG_7671.jpg

Therefore you are completely unable to reset the PIN or parental controls.

The client cannot be expected to pay for a third party to reset the unit for something so simple.

It is mind blowing why Panasonic have put tighter security than most safes, on a Freeview recorder.

Attachments

• IMG_7672.jpg
    IMG_7672.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 124

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom