Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

So thought I would revisit the built in apps as I'm curious to see what difference the HDR optimiser makes on Netflix content. I sometimes turn it on and others leave it off depending on how much difference it makes.
So does anyone have any suggestions to solve my problem with audio when using the build in apps? Works perfectly for disc's and file playback, but when using Netflix, Youtube etc. the sounds turns on and off, cuts in and out, for all audio, 5.1, Atmos etc.
UB420 audio/video > to Samsung Q70R soundbar via HDMI....then Soundbar to TV via HDMI (aRC). Have reset UB420 but no change........
Any advice appreciated.
So this gets stranger...I thought I would try a DVD today to see how upscaling works, and the sound issue I have with built in apps was same for DVD. Cuts in and out...But everything works fine with 4k Blu Ray disks!...get Atmos and everything....there must be something wrong in my settings.
I did notice if I lower 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 the issue is slightly better (that is sound is a bit more consistent but still drops in and out) so I'm wondering could this be a bandwidth issue with my HDMI cable? It's rated 24 Gbps and connects from Audio/Video out of Panny to Samsung Q70R soundbar > HDMI aRC to TV aRC (samsung one connect box)
I really like the quality of the player but can pretty much only use it for 4K Blu Ray disc and USB file playback as sound issue exists on everything else....suggestions appreciated....

So I fixed this!....added second HDMI cable so Panny Video > TV and Panny Audio > Soundbar...All audio works as should (yes Atmos as well) , with DVD's, Blu Ray, 4K, USB, and finally in built apps like Netflix and Youtube...no lip sync issues either, and with Viera link switched off no HDMI switching issues...Hurrah!
Can now spend some time seeing if I prefer the picture on Netflix with HDR optimiser on vs Samsung Q80R QLED built in apps (they are pretty tasty IMO).. Anyway, just posting so anyone with similar issues can go with this setup.

The player is supposed to be able to operate using just one cable though, where external kit can support it. It’s possible that there’s a compatibility issue somewhere, but perhaps changing the 4K-rated HDMI cable might be worth a try. I use Amazon Basics and they seem to work well for me. I have to use the two cable solution as my soundbar does not support Atmos, and my LG TV, like most TVs, will only route DD audio via ARC.

Clem

The player is supposed to be able to operate using just one cable though, where external kit can support it. It’s possible that there’s a compatibility issue somewhere, but perhaps changing the 4K-rated HDMI cable might be worth a try. I use Amazon Basics and they seem to work well for me. I have to use the two cable solution as my soundbar does not support Atmos, and my LG TV, like most TVs, will only route DD audio via ARC.

Clem
I agree it should work on one cable, and it does for disc and USB playback, only DVD and built in apps are the issue which makes me think the cable is ok but it may not have enough bandwidth for both audio and video...even though it's 28 Gbps. I am going to try an 8K rated cable (48 Gbps 60Hz) and see if that works.....

@BoyVader: If bandwidth was the issue, either from the HDMI port or via the cable, there would be much more noise about it here. You have some sort of local issue, down perhaps to compatibility or perhaps an obscure fault. I don’t think that many people here use super expensive, over-rated cables. If that option does fix it for you, then good, but I don’t think that it will. This sounds like (no pun intended) a setting that’s wrong somewhere or there's a fault somewhere in the playback chain.

Clem

@BoyVader: If bandwidth was the issue, either from the HDMI port or via the cable, there would be much more noise about it here. You have some sort of local issue, down perhaps to compatibility or perhaps an obscure fault. I don’t think that many people here use super expensive, over-rated cables. If that option does fix it for you, then good, but I don’t think that it will. This sounds like (no pun intended) a setting that’s wrong somewhere or there's a fault somewhere in the playback chain.

Clem
Cable wasn't super expensive, if fact it's comparable with the current 24 Gbps HDMIs I have, and will get used in the future if it doesn't fix the issue. Agree it's a long shot, but nobody at Panasonic (or this forum) can make any suggestions as what to check or change except HDMI cables. So if I'm buying a new one it might as well be 'future' proof...
Panasonic could only suggest the dual cable option, which I kind of like but I did notice some lip sync issues in Netflix (not all titles) and I have never seen that with the Samsung TV built in apps..
For what it's worth, from the comparisons I've done with TV apps vs UB420 apps the Samsung is pretty much identical...and it has Disney+, and the interface is way more responsive so this isn't an issue, more a curiosity..

Note: I think the reason the Panny HDR optimiser doesn't really make much difference in my set up is because the Q80R doesn’t need as much tone mapping with 1000 and 4000 nits content as other panels do because of it's high peak brightness......

Last edited:
I only use the dual cable solution for BR/DVD playback. I don't use the on-board Netflix and Amazon apps. as their implementation has some operational issues, from what I've read here. I do occasionally notice some minor lip sync issues on BR/DVD playback, but am not sure if this is down to the generic lip sync issue that plague LG TVs, which I have, or because in fact I need to apply a little lip sync, which is currently set to 0ms on the player. That said, the issues are generally fleeting, except on the remastered Phantasm disc, where the lip sync was out for playback throughout the film, using the added DD5.1 audio track.

Clem

I only use the dual cable solution for BR/DVD playback. I don't use the on-board Netflix and Amazon apps. as their implementation has some operational issues, from what I've read here. I do occasionally notice some minor lip sync issues on BR/DVD playback, but am not sure if this is down to the generic lip sync issue that plague LG TVs, which I have, or because in fact I need to apply a little lip sync, which is currently set to 0ms on the player. That said, the issues are generally fleeting, except on the remastered Phantasm disc, where the lip sync was out for playback throughout the film, using the added DD5.1 audio track.

Clem
Lip sync is a strange one, the main reason I bought the UB420 was because I couldn't get DD, DD+ etc or anything beyond PCM audio via XBox One as the lip sync was terrible.
Never seen any with the UB420 disc playback yet, have watched Apocalypse Now FC, Watchmen, Planet Earth, Blade Runner (original and 2049) all 4K and solid as a rock. Atmos except Watchmen/Planet Earth. It's strange that some forum users experience lip sync using one cable option, and some say two cables. It doesn't seem consistent. I think the content has to play a part in this somewhere.

Anyway, I will try the new (super expensive lol) HDMI on the video/audio out and see if there is any difference in the app playback out of interest, but will probably go back to one cable regardless as, as you say the built in apps of UB420 are pretty slow and as the HDR optimiser makes little difference on my setup so I might as well free up an HDMI port and use Samsung Q80R apps. Appreciate your input on this, it's interesting to see what works (and doesn't) for others..

I googled Phantasm and it looks interesting, never seen it so might check it out...

Hi, I have just upgraded my amp so my UB820 can be plugged straight in to the amp rather than the TV. However now whenever I turn on the amp and the 820 (Harmony activity) I get a black screen rather than the home screen. I can put in a disc and it plays fine without any issues and when I stop playback the home screen is showing as normal. It is just when I turn it on before I play a disc. Has anyone any ideas why this might be happening?

Hi, I have just upgraded my amp so my UB820 can be plugged straight in to the amp rather than the TV. However now whenever I turn on the amp and the 820 (Harmony activity) I get a black screen rather than the home screen. I can put in a disc and it plays fine without any issues and when I stop playback the home screen is showing as normal. It is just when I turn it on before I play a disc. Has anyone any ideas why this might be happening?
What is your UB820 HDMI resolution set at? If not on auto, try it on auto.
What is the make and model of the amp? That may have something to do with what is happening, especially as it is only happening now since you upgraded it..

Last edited:
Thanks Doug, it was set at auto, I’ve now changed it to 4K and turned off eco mode and this time it worked, I will keep an eye on it and hope it keeps working

Just brought home a 420. I bought it for the Atmos, not the 4K (yet). I run a 1080P projector, Sony HW45ES. I had to select HDCP 1.4 mode.

Although I haven't A/B with my PS4 I was using before. The WB intro to Joker seemed to pop better than I have ever seen my projector. :)

With the HDR Optimizer, is the "Projector" setting always the best option for projectors?

thanks

Just brought home a 420. I bought it for the Atmos, not the 4K (yet). I run a 1080P projector, Sony HW45ES. I had to select HDCP 1.4 mode.

Although I haven't A/B with my PS4 I was using before. The WB intro to Joker seemed to pop better than I have ever seen my projector. :)

With the HDR Optimizer, is the "Projector" setting always the best option for projectors?

thanks
Yes, if they output <500 nits. The next setting up is 1,000 nits (Oled/Middle LCD).
But if you are playing 1080p blu-rays the Optimiser isn't in use anyway.

Yes, if they output <500 nits. The next setting up is 1,000 nits (Oled/Middle LCD).
But if you are playing 1080p blu-rays the Optimiser isn't in use anyway.

I am buying 4K BDs mostly now, for the Atmos and down the road I'll upgrade to a 4K projector.

How do you know how many "nits" your projector is?

OK, I found reviews that said it is in the 60-150 nit range depending on high or low setting. So that would definitely be in the Projector range.

Clem
So I installed the new 8K rated HDMI cable...single cable - one output - Panny Audio/Video > Samsung Q70R soundbar in > aRC to Samsung Q80R TV.
This has fixed the choppy audio issue on Panny built in apps and DVD playback etc. So I still suspect it was a bandwidth issue with original cable (and perhaps just swapping out to different 4K would have fixed it) Anyway, one cable is better, free's up HDMI port and no lip sync problems..
Solid as a rock at the moment for all content...and I'm ready for that 8K TV...lol...happy days

Sorry, I'm back with another question. I have my amp set to Enhanced 4K signal so should I set my 820EB 4K output to 4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 of leave it at 4:2:0 ?
It is connected to an LG C6

Thank you

Sorry, I'm back with another question. I have my amp set to Enhanced 4K signal so should I set my 820EB 4K output to 4K 60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 of leave it at 4:2:0 ?
It is connected to an LG C6

Thank you
My LG E6 worked OK at 4:4:4. Just try them all and see what looks best.

My LG E6 worked OK at 4:4:4. Just try them all and see what looks best.
Thank you doug, I will give it a go tonight, to be honest I find it a bit confusing as to which are the best settings for which device and what will work with what :facepalm:. Also whilst I have you !!! should the 24fps be left at auto as IIRC it says this will overide the 4:4:4 setting?

Thank you doug, I will give it a go tonight, to be honest I find it a bit confusing as to which are the best settings for which device and what will work with what :facepalm:. Also whilst I have you !!! should the 24fps be left at auto as IIRC it says this will overide the 4:4:4 setting?
Yes.

Regarding using the built in apps such as Netflix, can the 820 now output 24hz content correctly or does it force 60hz with 3:2 pull down still?

Can anyone explain this for me please? I have only one 4K DV BR at present, The Hitman's Bodyguard. Because I use it as a test disc, whenever I load it into my UB820 I get promoted with the Resume Yes/No option, which is fair enough. Yesterday, I temporarily installed a brand new UB450 in the same system where he 820 lives (more of that in a later post, when I have time). I loaded The Hitman's Bodyguard as the fist disc in the 450 after setting it up and was greeted with the Resume option. How? Why? The two players are not connected (unless you consider a tenuous connection via HDMI via my LG TV); the 450 is not connected to the Internet; BRs are a read-only medium. I went through a first-time set-up so there should be no disc data present. The only thing that I can think of is that Panasonic, or whoever makes the 450 for Panasonic, used the disc as a test on the player. Has anyone else got any ideas, because I don't. Weird.

Clem

Can anyone explain this for me please? I have only one 4K DV BR at present, The Hitman's Bodyguard. Because I use it as a test disc, whenever I load it into my UB820 I get promoted with the Resume Yes/No option, which is fair enough. Yesterday, I temporarily installed a brand new UB450 in the same system where he 820 lives (more of that in a later post, when I have time). I loaded The Hitman's Bodyguard as the fist disc in the 450 after setting it up and was greeted with the Resume option. How? Why? The two players are not connected (unless you consider a tenuous connection via HDMI via my LG TV); the 450 is not connected to the Internet; BRs are a read-only medium. I went through a first-time set-up so there should be no disc data present. The only thing that I can think of is that Panasonic, or whoever makes the 450 for Panasonic, used the disc as a test on the player. Has anyone else got any ideas, because I don't. Weird.

Clem
Telepathy.
All Panasonic players have a Borg like group consciousness and pass info between them to other players in range. One day they will rise up like Skynet and destroy the human race.
Not many people know that....;)

I've also had this happen with new discs sometimes which had never been played before. I wouldn't worry about it. At least you've got the option to resume.

I'm not worried about it, just totally confused! The 450 also has some odd CEC weirdness that seems to confuse my LG TV if enabled, so I'm investigating that too.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom