Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

Am I right in thinking the UB820 will automatically switch between HDR and Dolby Vision without making any manual changes like you have to on the Sony players? I've got so many films for both now it's an utter pain having to constantly switch discs.
Yes, as long as you have DV set to on in the settings it'll automatically detect a DV disc and select DV when playing.

Last edited:
Yes, as long as you have DV set to on in the settings it'll automatically detect a DV disc and select DV when playing.
It still plays non dolby vision stuff in standard HDR right? The sony player plays everything in Dolby Vision and blows the highlights out in standard HDR films as a result.

Hi all,

I'm a new 820 owner which I use with my Sony AF9. I feel I'm struggling a bit being fairly ancient and losing my tech grip! Quickie!

The AF9 supports HDR10 but not HDR10+ I believe. On the 820 do I switch HDR10+ off or do I leave it on and simply leave Dolby Vision on?

Also in the UK do I switch the 820 from NTSC to PAL even though the AF9 will deal with both I
believe?

Finally, when I start a 4k Blu Ray I'm expecting to see 4k highlighted on the BD-Video - Play - 4K pop up but it's showing the top ie BD-Video rather than 4k. Is that right or do I have to set something. (BBC Blue Planet 11)

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
I don’t think that the HDR10+ thing is an issue, as there’s so little content available. I left it enabled on my 820 when it was connected to my LG TV, and that doesn’t support HDR10+ and didn’t see any issues. I manually changed the the TV type to PAL, just for consistency.

Thanks very much.

Finally, when I start a 4k Blu Ray I'm expecting to see 4k highlighted on the BD-Video - Play - 4K pop up but it's showing the top ie BD-Video rather than 4k. Is that right or do I have to set something. (BBC Blue Planet 11)

Thanks

Jeff

Not sure, but if you’re not seeing the 4K flag then something doesn’t seem right somewhere.

UPDATE EDIT;

Sorted I think.

2B54FDEB-6E56-4D7C-83DB-592E9B139BD0.jpeg
4A238A78-29E3-47A5-A566-E55CB2ACCA6E.jpeg

Last edited:
Having some real struggles with my UB820 today, which I initially thought to be a problem with my Denon AVR X4500h and posted in that owners thread (see from this post onwards).

As a quick overview (but do see full details in that link above), I can’t get any sound from DVDs unless I change digital audio output to PCM. Which then means switching it back and forth each time I play a DVD (set to pcm) or Blu-ray (set to bitstream to get full DTS-HD or Atmos). I can’t believe that’s necessary and I have had it working for some DVDs, but obviously changed something and can’t for the life of me get it back to how I need it.

many tips or advice on settings to try? My current settings shown in This Post here (from later in the thread linked to at start of this post). I’m tearing my hair out here
:(

And while I’m going crazy, anyone have ANY idea how to turn off ‘High Clarity Sound’? I get told every time I start it up that it’s on and only seem to be able to set WHERE it comes from, rather than if it comes at all:facepalm:

Last edited:
I don’t think that the HDR10+ thing is an issue, as there’s so little content available. I left it enabled on my 820 when it was connected to my LG TV, and that doesn’t support HDR10+ and didn’t see any issues. I manually changed the the TV type to PAL, just for consistency.

Hi,

I've noticed in the instructions that if HDR10+ is enabled then this takes precedent over Dolbyvision. This implies to me that if you have a TV without DolbyHDR10+ then you lose both Dolbyvision and HDR10.

"Dolby Vision SettingYou can set enable/disable of the Dolby Vision function.By changing this setting to “On”, you can use the Dolby Vision function under the following conditions:– A device (TV, etc.) that supports Dolby Vision is connected (>10).– A disc that supports Dolby Vision is played back.≥The “Picture Settings” setting is disabled while using the Dolby Vision function. (>27)≥If all the conditions below are met, both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are enabled. In that case, playback in HDR10+ format takes precedence.– The playback media or content is recorded in both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ formats.– Both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are supported by the connected device (TV, etc.).– Both this function and “HDR10+ Setting” are set to “On” "

Jeff

Hi,

I've noticed in the instructions that if HDR10+ is enabled then this takes precedent over Dolbyvision. This implies to me that if you have a TV without DolbyHDR10+ then you lose both Dolbyvision and HDR10.

"Dolby Vision SettingYou can set enable/disable of the Dolby Vision function.By changing this setting to “On”, you can use the Dolby Vision function under the following conditions:– A device (TV, etc.) that supports Dolby Vision is connected (>10).– A disc that supports Dolby Vision is played back.≥The “Picture Settings” setting is disabled while using the Dolby Vision function. (>27)≥If all the conditions below are met, both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are enabled. In that case, playback in HDR10+ format takes precedence.– The playback media or content is recorded in both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ formats.– Both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are supported by the connected device (TV, etc.).– Both this function and “HDR10+ Setting” are set to “On” "

Jeff
Your implies to you is wrong. HDR10 is there.

So I still keep getting ‘cannot read disc’ on about 1 in 3 4K discs. I’ve made sure discs are clean, tried connecting USB stick etc but nothing seems to work. Really hate this player!

anybody suggest anything else?

I have latest firmware.

So I still keep getting ‘cannot read disc’ on about 1 in 3 4K discs. I’ve made sure discs are clean, tried connecting USB stick etc but nothing seems to work. Really hate this player!

I have latest firmware.
Return it as faulty.

Then it needs to be looked at. Sounds like a faulty transport. I had an odd fault in a new Sony 800XM2 — it would read BRs, but not DVDs. Get it fixed under warranty whilst you still can if you can’t swap it.

I have latest firmware.
This may not be the same problem as you have but I used to have a problem with blu-rays "The Walking Dead" and 4K HDRs others at random, where video would break up. I decided to invest in "RUIPRO 10mtr HDMI Fibre Cable" although I only required 3mtr, it now displays videos perfectly. It was worth the investment.

Last edited:
The 820 is available at £279. I can get a 320 for £130 am I missing anything essential to just playing a disc? Not bothered about networking apps etc

The 820 is available at £279. I can get a 320 for £130 am I missing anything essential to just playing a disc? Not bothered about networking apps etc
Major thing is the UB320 only has one HDMI port. Not an issue if your AVR/Soundbar can passthrough 4K HDR10. Basically the UB820 has more ways to output audio: 2 hdmi ports, optical plus 2ch and 7.1ch analogue.

I have the pan y 820 last night it refused to play any discs, just shutting down after 20 secs, have tried factory reset any code available on remote to fix this.

You could try disconnecting all of the cables for a while, then reconnect, mains last. A front panel factory reset might help, but it sounds as if there’s a major fault somewhere, either in the PSU or main logic board. The main board on my first UB820 starting giving out on me, three months into ownership and had to be repaired. Sadly paying more for a supposedly better product does guarantee that it will be fault free.

I have the pan y 820 last night it refused to play any discs, just shutting down after 20 secs, have tried factory reset any code available on remote to fix this.
do you get any messages on the display when this happens?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom