Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

You could try disconnecting all of the cables for a while, then reconnect, mains last. A front panel factory reset might help, but it sounds as if there’s a major fault somewhere, either in the PSU or main logic board. The main board on my first UB820 starting giving out on me, three months into ownership and had to be repaired. Sadly paying more for a supposedly better product does guarantee that it will be fault free.
OK tha thanks for help, thought factory reset would do it

The front panel reset is, I believe, deeper than that accessed via the menus. Details have been posted earlier in this thread, from what I can remember, or Google is your friend.

Ok I disconnected all the cables overnight and have just put on a disc and so far so good,but what has disconnecting it got to do with fixing the problem.

Your implies to you is wrong. HDR10 is there.

Hi,

I have a question for you ....

I'm presuming that Dolby Vision is always better than HDR10.

If you leave the HDR10+ setting on for a non HDR10+ TV but that has DV, then if it disables DV and outputs HDR10 to a DV enabled TV then aren't you degrading your output and losing DV when it can be avoiuded by simply switching HDR10+ off?

I'm presuming that Dolby Vision is always better than HDR10.
Not always. 5 of my 110 DV discs look better in HDR10.
If you leave the HDR10+ setting on for a non HDR10+ TV but that has DV, then if it disables DV and outputs HDR10 to a DV enabled TV then aren't you degrading your output and losing DV when it can be avoiuded by simply switching HDR10+ off?
As far as I've seen on my LG DV only TV having HDR10+ enabled has no effect on DV playback. i.e. it doesn't disable DV playback. Only way that vanilla HDR10 will be produced is by disabling DV.

Perhaps you are thinking of the situation of a HDR10+ and DV capable TV in the specific scenario for those discs which have both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision where AFAIK the 1st preference default is HDR10+.

As the only TVs where that situation applies are also Panasonic I'm not sure whether it is the player making that choice or the TV. For the above scenario the player HDR10+ must be disabled to allow DV to be played. For other TVs HDR10+ setting is immaterial as the player will always produce DV from a dual HDR10+/DV disc to a DV TV.

Thanks,

The Sony AF9 doesn't have HDR10+.

I have my panny connected through a Senheiser Ambeo soundbar to a Sony AF9. The AF9 has generic HDR and DV but no HDR10+. If I have read the panny instructions correctly, if the Panny has HDR10+ selected as "on" and detects and HDR10+ source (even if there is also aDV available) then it defaults to choosing HDR10+ to shoot down the HDMI cable and disaables the DV stream. It obviously doesn't know that my TV dosn't have HDR10+ and presumably the AF9 shrugs and takes HDR10 and I lose DV.

Have I misundersood?

Jeff

The Sony AF9 doesn't have HDR10+.
In that case why do you have hdr10+ turned on?
I have my panny connected through a Senheiser Ambeo soundbar to a Sony AF9. The AF9 has generic HDR and DV but no HDR10+. If I have read the panny instructions correctly, if the Panny has HDR10+ selected as "on" and detects and HDR10+ source (even if there is also aDV available) then it defaults to choosing HDR10+ to shoot down the HDMI cable and disaables the DV stream. It obviously doesn't know that my TV dosn't have HDR10+ and presumably the AF9 shrugs and takes HDR10 and I lose DV.

Have I misundersood?

Jeff
However, the manual states only if all conditions are met will that occur. Your TV doesn't meet the 2nd condition.
If all the conditions below are met, both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are enabled. In that case, playback in HDR10+ format takes precedence.
– The playback media or content is recorded in both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ formats.
Both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are supported by the connected device (TV, etc.).
– Both this function and “HDR10+ Setting” are set to “On”

Have you tried a direct hdmi connection to the TV to make sure the soundbar isn't having something to do with the results you are seeing? Whilst your soundbar states DV passthough, your Sony TV needs player led (low latency) DV and your soundbar may not be passing through or signalling this.

What disc(s) is this happening with? The only uhds with both HDR10+ and DV I've got are
Godzilla King of the Monsters and The Shining

Last edited:
In that case why do you have hdr10+ turned on?

However, the manual states only if all conditions are met will that occur. Your TV doesn't meet the 2nd condition.
If all the conditions below are met, both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are enabled. In that case, playback in HDR10+ format takes precedence.
– The playback media or content is recorded in both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ formats.
Both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are supported by the connected device (TV, etc.).
– Both this function and “HDR10+ Setting” are set to “On”

Have you tried a direct hdmi connection to the TV to make sure the soundbar isn't having something to do with the results you are seeing? Whilst your soundbar states DV passthough, your Sony TV needs player led (low latency) DV and your soundbar may not be passing through or signalling this.

What disc(s) is this happening with? The only uhds with both HDR10+ and DV I've got are
Godzilla King of the Monsters and The Shining

But my TV doesn't support Dolby HDR10+ and the Panny doesn't ask the TV what it can do. If it did the on/off choice within panny settings would have auto as an option and a on/off wouldn't be requred because it would know.

I'm watching Gemini man where it says on the label HDR however when the disc loads it reverts to DV, my screen is lg oled + Panasonic 820 can I change the output to HDR or does it matter that much.

I'm watching Gemini man where it says on the label HDR however when the disc loads it reverts to DV, my screen is lg oled + Panasonic 820 can I change the output to HDR or does it matter that much.
Gemini Man is a DV disc. It has a DV logo 6th from the right under the bar code (UK release).
If you want to watch it in hdr10, turn dv off.

I'm unclear why you'd choose HDR over DV as in the other post?! It does matter. DV is as I understand is best option from those on offer.

As I understand it Dolby Vision tells a DV compliant TV ie a TV where the manufacturer has paid a few bucks per TV to licence DV how to present and adjust each individual "scene" to it's best advantage scene by scene. HDR10 just tells the TV how approximate best to present the while video without worrying about the dynamics of individual scenes. HDR10+ I believe is open source version of DV for TV manufacturers or meadia sources that do not wish to pay for genuine Dolby.

My understanding is that HDR10+ gives per scene instructions, HDR10 is per DVD, but DV when available would be what would give you the best experience. However I do not know whether some TV's mistate source information or not.

Gemini Man is a DV disc. It has a DV logo 6th from the right under the bar code (UK release).
If you want to watch it in hdr10, turn dv off.
I'm unclear why you'd choose HDR over DV as in the other post?! It does matter. DV is as I understand it better.

As I understand it Dolby Vision tells a DV compliant TV ie a TV where the manufacturer has paid a few bucks per TV to licence DV how to present and adjust each individual "scene" to it's best advantage scen by scene. HDR10 just tells the TV how approximate best to present the while video without worrying about the dynamics of individual scenes.

My understanding is that HDR10+ gives per scene instructions but DV when available would be what would give you the best experience. However I do not know whether some TV's mistate source information or not.
The disc gives the option of hdr, the TV goes Straight to dv be nice to do a comparison of said Features

Not sure where else to ask this, so hope here is ok? I have recently bought an OLED TV. YouTube has some 4K HDR video clips of films which are miles better than Apple TV 4K HDR streaming. Would a 4K BluRay be as good as the YouTube clip as from many articles I read, there isn't a major difference between BluRay and Apple (image, not sound), yet these YouTube clips are much better. I wondered if they were encoded somehow for superior vision.

Not sure where else to ask this, so hope here is ok? I have recently bought an OLED TV. YouTube has some 4K HDR video clips of films which are miles better than Apple TV 4K HDR streaming. Would a 4K BluRay be as good as the YouTube clip as from many articles I read, there isn't a major difference between BluRay and Apple (image, not sound), yet these YouTube clips are much better. I wondered if they were encoded somehow for superior vision.
A 4k uhd bluray disc is better than any streaming service currently.

Why do you think the panny asks the customer what to do if it could simply ask theTV?
Seems to manage OK asking my TV....
Doesn't attempt to play HDR10+ but instead auto switches between DV and HDR10. Contrast with the Sony UHD players which require DV to be switched on or off else if will play all UHDs and blu-rays in DV.

Again asking the question, have you tried a direct connection from player to the TV without going through your soundbar to rule out the soundbar causing the issue you seem to have?

Have you considered that the player is switchable between up to 5 different types of playback of a UHD (depending on TV and disc). Do you want the player to take a random guess as to what the user wants or allow them to control it via settings?
1. hdr10+
2. dv
3. hdr10
4. sdr bt.2020
5. sdr bt.709

Last edited:
Good evening @doug56hl,

Kind thanks for the information. I purchased the UB9000 earlier today and am glad I did, for the build quality and supposedly quieter operation at least.

Are you basically saying (and as I read in reviews) that it will not work with HDR10+? But will for HDR10? Sorry, I do not quite understand otherwise, what you mean by the above.

Useful to know, kind thanks. So, perhaps I should try setting the 9000 to 350 nits? I was hoping I could just set and forget. Tiresome having to change my JVC X7900's tone mapping settings for each film.

I watched Vincent Teoh's videos on the Pannys earlier today, which are always very helpful.

Steve Wither's chimed in on the UB9000 Owner's thread, where I also reached out, and noted some a useful point about the THX certification, which was also very

And do you find the image quality the same?

Two reviews used JVC projectors, an N7 and X7500 with the 820/ 9000 and gained improvements to the picture, so I should be fine.
So should the 820 have everything set to it’s defaults when connected to an N7?
If not what are the adjustments required?

its to do with bit rate and codecs used. YouTube stuff is good because it’s using high bit rates, much higher than ATV, Netflix or prime. 4K Blu-ray is better because they don’t have to worry about your broadband connection being good enough to cope!

ATV, Netflix and Prime are all trying to stay at a level most people’s internet access can cope with. That’s said, ATV‘s quality is excellent.

So should the 820 have everything set to it’s defaults when connected to an N7?
If not what are the adjustments required?

Good evening, @Spooksta,

I use madVR now. But below are some notes that should help you,

- Basic Luminance mode in the UB820 (same as High Luminance Projector mode in the UB9000). The downside to the new colour profiles is the high/ basic luminance one does not use the colour filter, so you lose some colour saturation. This was done for those that are really needing every lumen possible and cannot or did not want to take the luminance hit. If you wanted to take full advantage of the full gamut coverage and you only have the UB820, you can use either SDR2020 output, which still does a great job. Or, you can use the basic luminance projector mode and turn the JVC to its auto tone mapping. The result should be very similar since it will be tone mapping to a fixed 500 nits.

- The 350 nit option is used primarily for enhanced colours with the native 4K JVC projectors. For other projectors there's really no advantage in using it over the 500 nit setting. Note that your projector does not actually need to produce 500 nits (or even 350 nits) on your screen, as a "multiplier" of typically 4 or 5 are for projectors in a bat cave.

In summary, your options are as follows:

1. UB820 Basic Projector Display Type (500 nits) with JVC High Luminance Colour Profile (500 nits).
- Results in a brighter picture as the JVC Colour Filter is not used.
- Results in some loss of colour saturation because the filter is not used.

2. UB820 SDR/ BT2020 mode with JVC 2.4 Gamma.
- No loss of colour saturation.

3. UB820 Basic Projector Display Type (500 nits) with JVC Auto-Tone Mapping.
- No loss of colour saturation.

NOTE: the advantage of the UB9000 over the UB820 is that you can combine the 350 nit UB9000 Projector Display Type with the 350 nit JVC Colour Profile and retain full colour saturation since the Colour Filter is enabled.

I am not sure about using the 500 nit UB820 Display Type with the JVC 350 nit Colour Profile.

NOTE: with the Panasonic player set to HDR output and the Optimizer turned ON, you will be applying tone mapping in both the player and in the projector. The only way to avoid that is SDR/ BT2020 mode. So, it is personal preference on what you think is better:

1. Panasonic HDR mode with Optimizer turned ON + HDR Auto or Custom curve in projector.

2. Panasonic SDR/ BT2020 mode with Optimizer turned ON + Gamma 2.4 in projector - this is the equivalent to what I do in madVR.

Very best with it and have fun,

:thumbsup:

fallinlight

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom