Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

Serves you all right for being posh with your Dolby Vision!

Serves you all right for being posh with your Dolby Vision!
On a serious note, very hard not to consider the 820 vs 420 because of DV.
Anyone knows if other major differences except DV and 7.1 Channel?
420 looks like a real bargain

I think the hope/assumption will also be the build quality and the noise levels when playing a disc. Early feedback in another thread indicate that the 420 definitely isn't a silent running machine.

On a serious note, very hard not to consider the 820 vs 420 because of DV.
Anyone knows if other major differences except DV and 7.1 Channel?
420 looks like a real bargain
I think the hope/assumption will also be the build quality and the noise levels when playing a disc. Early feedback in another thread indicate that the 420 definitely isn't a silent running machine.
The 820 is almost another 1kg in weight so perhaps a bit better build.
Also the 400 which the 420 is based on had some noise complaints, didn't seem to have a temperature controlled fan but an always on one. Also a far smaller fan size. Post #88 Panasonic DMP-UB300 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

Doesn't mean any of that applies to the 420 though.

Last edited:
Disappointed is not the word! I'm really not surprised, which is also quite disappointing. John Lewis are completely inept!

View attachment 1018305 View attachment 1018306

Thought it was light when the young lady in the shop gave it to me. And I'm now convinced they didn't have any in the first place, so there will be a number of unhappy customers.

Paul

Bugger,feel for you :(

My ub420 is quiet. I've watched a few movies now, and never noticed anything untoward, and I'm the sort of person who builds quiet PCs.

Picked up a 420 from currys wednesbury £250 said they had 10. Didn't realise price was close to 820. If I didn' rush in I would choose 820. On Epson 9300 projector sdr conversion seems worthwhile. Epson for 4k now low lamp sdr rec 2020. Panny has two menu tabs, one converts hdr to sdr the other has 3 choices, high, medium and low luminance, I chose low.

Two UB820 now showng as in stock at John Lewis.
Wonder if these are the two returned UB320s mentioned above...;)

Two UB820 now showng as in stock at John Lewis.
Wonder if these are the two returned UB320s mentioned above...;)
Only one now... :blush:

I guess we'll find out for sure on Monday, whether these are just UB320s or not!

Paul

Last edited:
My UB424 has arrived! :cool: ... But... I'm travelling so won't be able to check it out until next week! o_O

I have a copy of Blade Runner 2049 in UHD waiting to be watched... :D

I guess I should block out an afternoon/evening to calibrate my projector for HDR as well... ;)

Ok ,so I have access to a discounted Panasonic work portal ,and the 820 is listed at way under RRP ,they are not is stock as yet ,but it says soon .
I,m prepared to help any established member who is based in the north east and prepared to collect from my home get one of these at cost price ,1 only ,if anyone is interested drop me a pm , sorry I,m not prepared to post ,it must be collection ,as I,m not making any profit here ,just trying to help someone get a bargain ,if mods dont like me posting this ,then apologies ,and delete :)
What a gent!

Virtual kudos to you mate. :smashin:

Paul

.... The UB320s are out of stock at JL again... :rotfl:

upload_2018-5-19_23-42-7.png

Paul

Last edited:
Ordered mine here in Sweden for about £465 which is the lowest available, assuming it's the higher vat that's to blame. Expected to be shipped May 25th. Had the option to get two free UHD movies though. Can't wait to get my hands on it!
Any news about Dolby Vision - when is it expected to be enabled?

Any news about Dolby Vision - when is it expected to be enabled?
I've not read anything around the ETA for DV, other than speculation it will be at launch. I.e. You'll be prompted with an FW update, including the DV functionality, as soon as you fire up your new UB820.

Paul

After the annoying UHD/HDR watch of The greatest showman last night I really need a PJ owner to grab the 820 and test out this tone mapping. I'm finding some HDR a real pain on a projector :rolleyes:

This thread is just an extension of the main one. an ACTUAL 820 owners thread should start when someone actually has one. getting pointless notifications is annoying :)

After the annoying UHD/HDR watch of The greatest showman last night I really need a PJ owner to grab the 820 and test out this tone mapping. I'm finding some HDR a real pain on a projector :rolleyes:
If your tone mapping experience is variable, that would suggest to me it's either the MaxCLL the disk is mastered to, not suiting your PJ's tone mapping approach. Or that the metadata on those troublesome disks isn't implemented as it should be. Recent reading seems to suggest it's most likely the latter.
If it's the former, you're probably in luck with these players. If it's the latter, the disk is flawed from the outset and probably not salvageable.

Paul

Epson eh-tw9300 Panasonic 420.
Last night set panny to output sdr from 4k and low luminance, seemed flat but natural.
This morning held hdr button on remote and turned off hdr optimiser, more contrast, only short viewing though.

On Epson 9300 projector sdr conversion seems worthwhile.

Have you tried straight HDR yet? I have the same projector and player, and I now love HDR. Tried with 5 UHD discs so far, each one quite a lot better than the blu ray equivalent in terms of dynamic contrast and colour.

Just assmed hdr would be the same as k8500.
Will test later. For me although hdr picture is more colourfull and dynamic, more detail, it doesn't seem natural or accrate. I quite often have had a better experience with blu ray.
Some more use with 420 then will think about calibration.

Just a heads up to any Epson projector owners, the backlit Epson remote works fine to control my ub420 via HDMI link or whatever its called. This is great to discover as in normal use the Panasonic remote -with its close-together buttons- is not really needed at all.

I've used this tech before but it was flaky and temperamental, whereas I have not had a problem with this set up so far.

I was going to buy a backlit ub9000 remote when they came out but I doubt that I will now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom