Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

Guys, i purchased a 820 a couple of weeks ago & just this morning received a new Panasonic CZ950 TV. ( First impressions fantastic !! ) but how do i know if Dolby Vision is outputting ? 820 just states "HDR" when i click "status".

Any help much appreciated !

Guys, i purchased a 820 a couple of weeks ago & just this morning received a new Panasonic CZ950 TV. ( First impressions fantastic !! ) but how do i know if Dolby Vision is outputting ? 820 just states "HDR" when i click "status".

I've responded in the 'other' thread. But, check DV is enabled in the 820 menu.

Other than that, check to see if you can select a Dolby Vision pre-set, in the GZ's picture settings menu.

Paul

If you click on Playback Info on UB820 remote when playing a DV disc, the player should show Dolby Vision rather than HDR (PQ) on the HDMI output (3rd down). If it doesn't, it is not outputting DV.

I have had problems with two paramount titles with this player, overlord and pet semetary 2019.Both paramount discs. The subs always default to Arabic , scene selection just loop back to the home screen , player times out at the same point in both discs and player will timeout and shut down during film.

I have a 1080p projector so the player is downscaling the 4k disc to 1080p for atmos sound , no other disc issues playing 4k discs

wondered if anyone else had any issues with paramount titles

Hi All,

Forgive me, but I'm can't bring myself to trawl through 76 pages to find an answer to my simple question relating to the Panasonic DP-UB820
For years now I've been streaming uncompressed MKV bluray rips through my Oppo105 player - the PQ is great. Just the other day I ripped a UHD bluray and tried to play it through my 105. Of course I got the dialogue box explaining the 105 couldn't play the file (too high resolution). Consequently, I went on the search for a player that would play my UHD MKV rip - and I think I may have found it in the Panasonic DP-UB820. I'm just looking for confirmation here - will it or won't it?
Whilst I'm here, I might add I'm using a JVC X7500 PJ. I know this PJ doesn't support HDR, but I'd like to know if I might run into any issues whilst playing 4K rips on this machine and indeed, will the 4k rips look any better than my standard BluRays?

Thanks ; - )

Hi All,

Forgive me, but I'm can't bring myself to trawl through 76 pages to find an answer to my simple question relating to the Panasonic DP-UB820
For years now I've been streaming uncompressed MKV bluray rips through my Oppo105 player - the PQ is great. Just the other day I ripped a UHD bluray and tried to play it through my 105. Of course I got the dialogue box explaining the 105 couldn't play the file (too high resolution). Consequently, I went on the search for a player that would play my UHD MKV rip - and I think I may have found it in the Panasonic DP-UB820. I'm just looking for confirmation here - will it or won't it?
Whilst I'm here, I might add I'm using a JVC X7500 PJ. I know this PJ doesn't support HDR, but I'd like to know if I might run into any issues whilst playing 4K rips on this machine and indeed, will the 4k rips look any better than my standard BluRays?

Thanks ; - )
Welcome to AVF! I can't answer all your questions but I can state the the Panasonic is generally regarded as a poor device in this regard. Its excellent when it comes to disc based media but everything else is a let down.

If the Panny is capable of playing 2160p MKVs (someone else should be along to confirm/deny soon enough) it will be without lossless audio. So you'd be limiting yourself to lossy DD and DTS which isn't an issue for everybody but is definately an issue if your running a half-decent sound system.

The Sony players might be better when it comes to local media playback so try asking in one of their threads (X800 maybe ?). Or what about a dedicated media player like the Nvidia Shield?

Hi All,

Thanks ; - )

I use an nVidia ShieldTV for this, as nothing else seems to support lossless audio. Its annoying as it doesn't support Dolby Vision, but lossless audio is more important for now.

Hi All,

Thanks ; - )
494930 is correct: the UB820 will not read lossless audio tracks from ripped media.
It will play 2160p rips, with HDR10 if available but won't parse HDR10+ metadata either; probably same with DV, but I don't have a DV-capable TV to test this with (just mentioning it so that the limitations are clear).
If you don't care about lossless audio, I understand the UB820's HDR-to-SDR conversion is quite good (never tried it myself).
You should see an improvement in picture quality going from 1080p to 2160p; it does depend on your seating distance and projection size, of course.
I'm not familiar with projectors, but if yours supports WCG then there would be a PQ improvement in this regard as well.

Have you considered a HTPC setup? With a software like MadVR you can tonemap HDR to SDR (plus get access to a ton of other PQ adjustments) and you'd still get lossless audio.

Thanks for your replies so far guys. Sound is definately a top priority for me. I don't have atmos and have no plans to change my hi-end 5.1 sound system. I have considered nvidia shield tv but connectivity would be an issue for me - I currently use my Oppo's 2x HDMI outs to feed video to an HDMI matrix switch and HDMI audio to my Anthem D2v. The Nvidia only has one HDMI output.
Even though I virtually never spin discs, the Oppo has served me very well for streaming from my NAS - until 4k came along! I really don't want a fiddly HTPC solution - but hey - maybe HTPCs are not as "fiddly" as I imagine ??
I know Oppo have ceased production, but would the 205 have fulfilled my needs? If not, maybe there's a similar machine that would?

would the 205 have fulfilled my needs?
Yes. It was very highly regarded for this but used prices are frankly ridiculous imo. The Cambridge Audio CXUHD is essentially the same player underneath and can be picked up for £700 from Richer Sounds.

Yes. It was very highly regarded for this but used prices are frankly ridiculous imo. The Cambridge Audio CXUHD is essentially the same player underneath and can be picked up for £700 from Richer Sounds.

Aha!! - Thanks for this info - I'll be checking out the CXUHD for sure.

@cesazL - you have peeked my interest in HTPCs. The thing I like about using a "disc spinner" to play my MKV files is that I can do this from my sofa with just one IR remote (RC9200). The thought of having a computer in my HT room and the parafinaliar to control it puts me right off. Maybe I'm conjuring up images that are simply, well, wrong ?! - perhaps there are simple elegant HTPC solutions which are a cinch to control via IR? If so I'd love to hear about them ; -)

Edit... I've had a quick "google" and have not yet found an HTPC with more than just one HDMI output (!! - I mean.... Hell...oo!!) - I'd need 2 - one to feed my displays, the 2nd to feed my Anthem - for audio? It's early days in my research, so I guess I'll be sure to find HTPCs with more HDMI outputs than a mainstream disc spinner routinely offers.

Last edited:
Whoa! - This is EXACTLY what I need - no optical drive - simply the ability to play my UHD MKV files. One problem - I'm damned if I can find where to buy one !!:facepalm:
Online Order: But I'd ask on that other thread to see if the people who ordered them would recommend that site.

Aha!! - Thanks for this info - I'll be checking out the CXUHD for sure.

@cesazL - you have peeked my interest in HTPCs. The thing I like about using a "disc spinner" to play my MKV files is that I can do this from my sofa with just one IR remote (RC9200). The thought of having a computer in my HT room and the parafinaliar to control it puts me right off. Maybe I'm conjuring up images that are simply, well, wrong ?! - perhaps there are simple elegant HTPC solutions which are a cinch to control via IR? If so I'd love to hear about them ; -)

Edit... I've had a quick "google" and have not yet found an HTPC with more than just one HDMI output (!! - I mean.... Hell...oo!!) - I'd need 2 - one to feed my displays, the 2nd to feed my Anthem - for audio? It's early days in my research, so I guess I'll be sure to find HTPCs with more HDMI outputs than a mainstream disc spinner routinely offers.

Don't think I can really help with that, I don't have an HTPC as such, but a full-flegded work+gaming PC with an 1080ti that's hooked up to both a 21:9 monitor and a FZ800 (the TV being used exclusively for movies, of course).
I suppose an IR receiver could be connected to an HTPC and with a Harmony or similar remote you could use it as any media streaming box. There's certainly media player software for PC that is designed for use with a remote from the couch, like Kodi for example.

i've bought a DP-UB820EB today after getting fed up with constant freezes in movies on my previous player the Sony UBP-x700. Having set it up I'm having picture and sound drop outs with Dolby Vision. I have the player connected to a Sony receiver (STRDN1080) and then a Sony TV (KD65XE9305). As soon as I switch Dolby Vision off the issues go away. I know the Sony implementation of Dolby Vision isn't the best but I did not have any issues with my last player in this respect. Anyone got any ideas please on how to solve this?

Also the player keeps flashing up a message about high clarity sound being on when I switch it on which I cannot work out.

i've bought a DP-UB820EB today after getting fed up with constant freezes in movies on my previous player the Sony UBP-x700. Having set it up I'm having picture and sound drop outs with Dolby Vision. I have the player connected to a Sony receiver (STRDN1080) and then a Sony TV (KD65XE9305). As soon as I switch Dolby Vision off the issues go away. I know the Sony implementation of Dolby Vision isn't the best but I did not have any issues with my last player in this respect. Anyone got any ideas please on how to solve this?

Also the player keeps flashing up a message about high clarity sound being on when I switch it on which I cannot work out.

Trying to troubleshoot my issue and I just cannot solve it. Changed the HDMI cable, tried turning the components on in different orders, hard rebooting of components and using different HDMI ports on the receive with no joy. As soon as I try and watch something in Dolby Vision I get small sound drop outs. Regular HDR is fine. Annoying.

Trying to troubleshoot my issue and I just cannot solve it. Changed the HDMI cable, tried turning the components on in different orders, hard rebooting of components and using different HDMI ports on the receive with no joy. As soon as I try and watch something in Dolby Vision I get small sound drop outs. Regular HDR is fine. Annoying.

I use my Panasonic UB820 with the STRDN1080 and got no Dolby vision issue at all. I have an LG OLED C7 TV so, might be your TV?

I use my Panasonic UB820 with the STRDN1080 and got no Dolby vision issue at all. I have an LG OLED C7 TV so, might be your TV?

It was the HDMI lead between the player and received. I bought a better one and am good now.

I would like to ask you owners whether the compatible ub9000 remote is backlit? And anybody got experience of whether the £15 eBay Chinese version is backlit?? I asked them but no reply yet...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom