Panasonic DP-UB820EB, DP-UB420EB and DP-UB320EB Owners Thread

Hey,

I read somewhere that UB820 had problems with DV disc (elevated blacks or something like this).

Has this been fixed?
All low latency (player led) DV players have a problem with elevated blacks. It's a Dolby Labs issue AFAIK and needs them to fix it.

But in the scheme of things it's nowhere near the level that players and TVs had initially where black bars were sometimes grey. Now more like looking a little bit lightish at times. I have my LG Oled set to brightness 49 rather than 50 which fixes it most of the time.

I have 4 or 5 DV discs where the studio has made a bit of a mess with the DV mastering and I find it better to play them in HDR10 to be able to use the UB820 picture adjustment controls.
BTW what is the consensus on 820 vs 420 vs 450 picture quality (forgetting for a second about HDR Optimizer)? Is the base line exactly the same or are there differences in favor of any of them?
Without HDR Optimiser and picture adjustment controls in play the PQ of the players is said to be very similar or identical. UB420 and UB820 have a wider range of adjustments possible than the UB450. UB820 also has a system gamma control (ported from the UB9000) which the other cheaper players don't have and which I find very useful at times.

All low latency (player led) DV players have a problem with elevated blacks. It's a Dolby Labs issue AFAIK and needs them to fix it.

But in the scheme of things it's nowhere near the level that players and TVs had initially where black bars were sometimes grey. Now more like looking a little bit lightish at times. I have my LG Oled set to brightness 49 rather than 50 which fixes it most of the time.

I have 4 or 5 DV discs where the studio has made a bit of a mess with the DV mastering and I find it better to play them in HDR10 to be able to use the UB820 picture adjustment controls.

Without HDR Optimiser and picture adjustment controls in play the PQ of the players is said to be very similar or identical. UB420 and UB820 have a wider range of adjustments possible than the UB450. UB820 also has a system gamma control (ported from the UB9000) which the other cheaper players don't have and which I find very useful at times.

It seems that UB420 is hard to come by? I am having trouble finding it to buy in EU (UK / IE pref).

I also read that UB450 does not have DV elevated black problems of 820.

What do you find more useful if you have both HDR Optimzer or "broken" DV?

I am tempted to go 420 route if I can find one.

Thanks

It seems that UB420 is hard to come by? I am having trouble finding it to buy in EU (UK / IE pref).

Thanks
UB420 was a Currys exclusive in the UK and they stopped selling them ages ago. The UB424 is the EU model and still seems available. Two variants shown on amazon.de EGK and EGS. Not sure of the difference between them Panasonic DP-UB424EGS Ultra HD Blu-ray Player (4K Blu-ray Disc, 4K VoD, DLNA, 2x HDMI, USB, Alexa Sprachsteuerung, silber): Amazon.de: Heimkino, TV & Video
Edit: one is black and the other silver so just cosmetic.

EU models may not have UK streaming services available if that is a requirement. I'd expect BBC iplayer wouldn't be an option but Netflix and Prime may be available.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Don't know re that. I haven't seen an A/B compare video between them for DV or anything similar to the Dolby Vision A/B compare of Oppo 203 and UB9000 done by Vincent Teoh. UB450 does have a different SOC to the UB420/UB820 so may be down to that. Although AFAIK the Sony DV players also have the same problem and they use Mediatek SOCs in player led DV.

Oppo also uses a mediatek SOC but has the option to use either Player led or TV led DV processing. I think TV led gives better results then on LG TVs which use TV led processing vs Sony TVs which need player led processing.
Not too sure what you are asking here. As I said I go for HDR10 playback on a small number of DV discs as the Panasonic with its picture adjustment controls can then make a better job than using DV can (sometimes also using the dynamic tone mapping feature of my LG Oled in combination with this).

With most DV discs I play them in DV and they look fine to my eyes (with sometimes/often a tweak of lowering black level down a notch on the TV brightness control but this applies whether I play them on my UB820 or Sony X700). I suspect a combination of the player led DV processing and variations in mastering of DV discs between studios is the issue.

Add to that variations in near black handling of TVs which for LG at least seems to be different between models and firmware releases. Then chuck in variations in how the TVs are initially factory calibrated/set. All in all a bit of a mess.

For that reason I prefer a player which provides lots of options to tweak the picture to a player which doesn't. Which is where the UB420/UB820 wins out over the UB450 imo. However for DV UHDs where player picture adjustments aren't possible they are likely much of a muchness. But with only 30% of my UHDs being DV, being able to tweak the other 70% of them is a major factor for me.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your answers. They are very helpful.

What I meant is that if I do not go 820 route I will have to choose between DV or HDR Optimizer as I will not be able to have both in form of 424 or 450 and I am a bit torn.

So my question was if you would have to live with only one of those two functions which would you choose after having both for some time?

Which do you find more useful / entertaining. I am leaning towards Optimizer (and better adjust-ability of 424) but at the same time I also have C6 65" in the other room with UB900 so also without DV support from disk (but with magical 3d ;)). What tempts me in 450 is free from flaws DV implementation.

What makes me think about 820 is the analogue audio as I could trolley (c9 will be on trolley stand) to my other room and connect it to my audiophile horn system for some glorious audio :) instead of surround system. But at the same time for that purpose I could use my UB900 from my downstairs AV system (as it has analogue out).

First world problems :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Panasonic ebay outlet sells refurbished ones with 12 months warranty now and again at £79.99. Last one was in December Panasonic DP-UB420EBK SMART 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray DVD Player Twin HDMI WiFi | eBay
Although they don't ship to Ireland but if you know anyone in the UK who could get it sent to them and then ship it to you wouldn't be that big of a problem.

They also do refurbished UB820 for £220 now and again. Last one was 22nd January
Panasonic DP-UB820EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player - Black for sale online | eBay
Same Ireland delivery exclusion.
Thank you for all your answers. They are very helpful.

What I meant is that if I do not go 820 route I will have to choose between DV or HDR Optimizer as I will not be able to have both in form of 424 or 450 and I am a bit torn.

Sp my question was if you would have to live with only one of those two functions which would you choose after having both for some time?

Which do you find more useful / entertaining. I am leaning toward Optimizer but at the same time I also have C6 65" in the other room with UB900 so also without DV support from disk (but with magical 3d ;))

Love OLED :)

Cheers
For a C6 I'd say go with a Sony X700 as I don't rate the 2016 Oleds for their HDR10 processing (their DV is better if my E6 is anything to go by) and the X700 allows 'forced' DV playback for HDR10 UHDs. This forced DV works in effect as similar to Optimiser as regards to high nit UHDs in that it reduces clipped highlights. See post #726 Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread
Although if you are using a 2017 or later LG Oled their Dynamic Tone Mapping feature has similar effect.

While some seem to have had issues with X700, mine has been problem free. I bought it for DV before the UB820 had the DV firmware update (and after I sent back my first UB820 due to player noise). For DV the X700 and UB820 PQ are about the same. The UB820 wins out for HDR10 UHDs on my LG E8 due to the Optimiser and picture adjustment controls.

If you want a Panasonic player and can't stretch for the UB820 price the UB450 may offer the best all round solution if DV playback is a big thing for you. I've noticed that many recent UHDs are being mastered at <1000 nits levels where the Optimiser wouldn't be working anyway if you've set up display type as Oled (1,000 nits).

Hence the commonly seen complaint that HDR Optimiser isn't working as people can't see a difference between it on or off (there isn't one for lower nit level discs as it's functions are off for them despite it showing as being on). One nice feature unique to the UB820/UB900 is that it shows the disc mastering and metadata info and the changes that Optimiser is doing in a pre/post display panel.

The main benefit I found for Optimiser was with some earlier UHDs (mainly Sony 4K 35mm film scans) like Crouching Tiger, Max Max and Starship Troupers which were mastered at 10,000 nits and where my LG E6 really struggled to tone map them properly. My E8 does a bit better job with them but Optimiser and picture adjustment controls are essential to tone down enhanced grain levels and way too high contrast. LG Oled 2017 models onwards Dynamic Tone Mapping feature can do similar but without the user selectable tweaks that UB420/UB820 offer (although I see that LG are now offering user selectable tone mapping options so depends if you have a x9 or are considering say a LG CX in the future).

Before recent discs being mastered at <1000 nits I would have said I find Optimiser/picture adjustment controls more useful as it works with the majority of my UHDs. Now that many UHDs are being mastered at lower nit levels it doesn't have as much benefit although I still tweak them with UB820 System Gamma and Tone Curve (black) controls.

If you don't use your UB900 picture adjustment controls much you'll likely also do similar with UB820 so the UB450 not having them won't be much of a loss. If you do use them, not having them available may be an annoyance over time. In that situation I'd try and stretch for a UB820. Otherwise if DV playback at the cheapest cost is your priority UB450 may suit (or Sony X700).

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Panasonic ebay outlet sells refurbished ones with 12 months warranty now and again at £79.99. Last one was in December Panasonic DP-UB420EBK SMART 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray DVD Player Twin HDMI WiFi | eBay
Although they don't ship to Ireland but if you know anyone in the UK who could get it sent to them and then ship it to you wouldn't be that big of a problem.

They also do refurbished UB820 for £220 now and again. Last one was 22nd January
Panasonic DP-UB820EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player - Black for sale online | eBay
Same Ireland delivery exclusion.

For a C6 I'd say go with a Sony X700 as I don't rate the 2016 Oleds for their HDR10 processing (their DV is better if my E6 is anything to go by) and the X700 allows 'forced' DV playback for HDR10 UHDs. This forced DV works in effect as similar to Optimiser as regards to high nit UHDs in that it reduces clipped highlights. See post #726 Sony UBP-X700 Owners Thread
Although if you are using a 2017 or later LG Oled their Dynamic Tone Mapping feature has similar effect.

While some seem to have had issues with X700, mine has been problem free. I bought it for DV before the UB820 had the DV firmware update (and after I sent back my first UB820 due to player noise). For DV the X700 and UB820 PQ are about the same. The UB820 wins out for HDR10 UHDs on my LG E8 due to the Optimiser and picture adjustment controls.

If you want a Panasonic player and can't stretch for the UB820 price the UB450 may offer the best all round solution if DV playback is a big thing for you. I've noticed that many recent UHDs are being mastered at <1000 nits levels where the Optimiser wouldn't be working anyway if you've set up display type as Oled (1,000 nits).

Hence the commonly seen complaint that HDR Optimiser isn't working as people can't see a difference between it on or off (there isn't one for lower nit level discs as it's functions are off for them despite it showing as being on). One nice feature unique to the UB820/UB900 is that it shows the disc mastering and metadata info and the changes that Optimiser is doing in a pre/post display panel.

The main benefit I found for Optimiser was with some earlier UHDs (mainly Sony 4K 35mm film scans) like Crouching Tiger, Max Max and Starship Troupers which were mastered at 10,000 nits and where my LG E6 really struggled to tone map them properly. My E8 does a bit better job with them but Optimiser and picture adjustment controls are essential to tone down enhanced grain levels and way too high contrast. LG Oled 2017 models onwards Dynamic Tone Mapping feature can do similar but without the user selectable tweaks that UB420/UB820 offer (although I see that LG are now offering user selectable tone mapping options so depends if you have a x9 or are considering say a LG CX in the future).

Before recent discs being mastered at <1000 nits I would have said I find Optimiser/picture adjustment controls more useful as it works with the majority of my UHDs. Now that many UHDs are being mastered at lower nit levels it doesn't have as much benefit although I still tweak them with UB820 System Gamma and Tone Curve (black) controls.

If you don't use your UB900 picture adjustment controls much you'll likely also do similar with UB820 so the UB450 not having them won't be much of a loss. If you do use them, not having them available may be an annoyance over time. In that situation I'd try and stretch for a UB820. Otherwise if DV playback at the cheapest cost is your priority UB450 may suit (or Sony X700).

I am waiting for delivery of C9 65". Thank you for the links to ebay. It is interesting option. Do you have any experience with refurbished units like that? I have set my UB900 and never played with the setting afterwards. I did quite a lot and for a long time with my C6 but I cannot say it was a pleasure. I rather would be using then tweaking especially when there is no holy grail settings like with my C6 and probably same with C9.

I have to investigate what options I would be missing with 450 but I think it might be the one I will end up with.

As to BD masters, from Vincent's videos it seams that depending on if the BD comes from Warner Bros etc, it will be mastered to certain nit level as they use one of 3 types of master monitors of which each implies different resulting peak brightness.

Is it possible that recently you were buying productions of mostly one studio?

Thanks

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I decided in favor of 2nd hand UB820 in the end. There was too much mixed info about 420 and 450 online and 820 covers most of the bases other then flawed DV presentation.

I am very happy user of UB900 so I hope that 820 will continue my great experiences with Panasonic AV gear :) (I also use their top of the line same electric shaver for past 10 years... so I have a soft spot for this brand as it never let me down so far).

Cheers

Last edited:
I ran into what seemed to be a very weird problem with my 820 yesterday evening. I wanted to watch my BR copy of District 9, which I’d bought recently. After skipping the obligatory ads. for films that I didn’t want to watch I was confronted with a graphic menu, showing a picture of a man or alien (prawn). I selected ‘man’. The TV screen went blank and a message from the player briefly popped-up containing the next ‘Starting network connection’, then nothing. The front panel counter was showing zeros, but I could hear the drive spinning. I tried to eject the disc, but the remote control was seemingly being ignored, but I did briefly see a message on the player’s front panel about high clarity audio being enabled. Eventually, the player spat-out the disc, but then ignored the remote for a while when I tried to re-load the disc. Eventually, the player decided to recognise the remote again so I reloaded the disc, and this time tried the prawn icon. Same deal. Much head scratching ensued, and I wondered if I had a duff disc, or the player didn’t like it. After a poke around the player's menus (after waiting an age for the player to spit out the disc for a third time), I went into the Network menu and changed the BD-Live setting to Prohibit (see Network —> Network Settings —> BD Live Internet Access). Thereafter, the disc loaded and played back perfectly, complete with menus. When I tried the BD-Live option from the disc’s menu I saw a message about the Network service being disabled, which is what I expected.

It could be that I have a duff network port on the player, I suppose. I haven’t used any of the network-related features on the player, nor am I planning on doing so, but I do know that the Ethernet cable connected to it is OK. The only thing that I’d use the link for would be for firmware updates, but I prefer to do those via USB. I ought to confirm that the network is working at some point I suppose. However, it was only after I thought about this that I realised that District 9 is, I think, the only disc that I have with BD-Live services. I suspect that the player hang was because it was waiting for a server out there on the ‘Net to reply, but given that the film is 10y old now I suspect that the back end server is no more. What I don’t get is why the player didn’t time-out after a given period though, but then perhaps I didn’t give it enough time. That said, I did wait at least 5 minutes before trying to eject the disc. I can't see me ever wanting to use any BD-Live services in the future, so having the BD-LIve network access disabled is fine for me.

Technology … dontcha just luv it?

Clem

I ran into what seemed to be a very weird problem with my 820 yesterday evening. I wanted to watch my BR copy of District 9, which I’d bought recently. After skipping the obligatory ads. for films that I didn’t want to watch I was confronted with a graphic menu, showing a picture of a man or alien (prawn). I selected ‘man’. The TV screen went blank and a message from the player briefly popped-up containing the next ‘Starting network connection’, then nothing. The front panel counter was showing zeros, but I could hear the drive spinning. I tried to eject the disc, but the remote control was seemingly being ignored, but I did briefly see a message on the player’s front panel about high clarity audio being enabled. Eventually, the player spat-out the disc, but then ignored the remote for a while when I tried to re-load the disc. Eventually, the player decided to recognise the remote again so I reloaded the disc, and this time tried the prawn icon. Same deal. Much head scratching ensued, and I wondered if I had a duff disc, or the player didn’t like it. After a poke around the player's menus (after waiting an age for the player to spit out the disc for a third time), I went into the Network menu and changed the BD-Live setting to Prohibit (see Network —> Network Settings —> BD Live Internet Access). Thereafter, the disc loaded and played back perfectly, complete with menus. When I tried the BD-Live option from the disc’s menu I saw a message about the Network service being disabled, which is what I expected.

It could be that I have a duff network port on the player, I suppose. I haven’t used any of the network-related features on the player, nor am I planning on doing so, but I do know that the Ethernet cable connected to it is OK. The only thing that I’d use the link for would be for firmware updates, but I prefer to do those via USB. I ought to confirm that the network is working at some point I suppose. However, it was only after I thought about this that I realised that District 9 is, I think, the only disc that I have with BD-Live services. I suspect that the player hang was because it was waiting for a server out there on the ‘Net to reply, but given that the film is 10y old now I suspect that the back end server is no more. What I don’t get is why the player didn’t time-out after a given period though, but then perhaps I didn’t give it enough time. That said, I did wait at least 5 minutes before trying to eject the disc. I can't see me ever wanting to use any BD-Live services in the future, so having the BD-LIve network access disabled is fine for me.

Clem

well that’s got me thinking. But what do those 2 icons relate to anyway?
i may well go in and change my network settings after seeing this. Thanks for sharing...

As I said, it could well be that I have a duff player, but I doubt it. I think that the icons relate to how you view the film, as a human or prawn. I'll check my player's network connection later, when I sit down to watch some TV.

Clem

Clem
My player did the exact same thing when I last played that disc. As you said it's probably trying to connect to a non-existant server and somehow the disc is authored in a way that breaks the player when it doesn't get an answer.

However, it was only after I thought about this that I realised that District 9 is, I think, the only disc that I have with BD-Live services. I suspect that the player hang was because it was waiting for a server out there on the ‘Net to reply, but given that the film is 10y old now I suspect that the back end server is no more. What I don’t get is why the player didn’t time-out after a given period though, but then perhaps I didn’t give it enough time.
Likely because the disc wasn't coded for that. Poor programming rather than a player fault. The on disc java environment is in control rather than the player. I've always turned off BD-Live even back in the days when the servers were still there as it was prone to glitches and errors of the type you describe.

Well, BD-Live is mo more chez Clem. Good news that it wasn’t just my player having the issue.

Clem

Quick question. Do you connect your UB 420/424/450/820 with:

1) one HDMI cable to receiver
2) two HDMI cables to receiver
3) one HDMI to receiver (audio) and one HDMI directly to TV

Or some other configuration :) ?

My preference would be option 3) because if I can avoid any possibility of any additional video signal processing by receiver I am willing to take it. But am I just paranoid? Should I just go for option 1 or 2 and save on cable clutter (less cables or shorter cables)?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

My preference would be option 3) because if I can avoid any possibility of any additional video signal processing by receiver I am willing to take it. But am I just paranoid? Should I just go for option 1 or 2 and save on cable clutter (less cables or shorter cables)?

I use option 1, option 3 is also acceptable. It's mainly designed for if your AVR cannot passthrough a HDCP2.2 video signal, but your not completely paranoid about video processing as some AVRs can degrade the video signal. My Marantz absolutely destroys the video if I have any of the video processing features enabled, but is pretty much transparent with them switched off. Option 2 should never be used, dual path HDMI connections can cause all sorts of headaches and was never intended.

i agree with @494930 ... I use option 3 as my sound solution doesn’t support full hdr passthru and this way I never suffer from any lip sync...

I use option 1, option 3 is also acceptable. It's mainly designed for if your AVR cannot passthrough a HDCP2.2 video signal, but your not completely paranoid about video processing as some AVRs can degrade the video signal. My Marantz absolutely destroys the video if I have any of the video processing features enabled, but is pretty much transparent with them switched off. Option 2 should never be used, dual path HDMI connections can cause all sorts of headaches and was never intended.

It is all brand new system to me which I am building for my bedroom so I have no experience with the AVR I am getting (Yamaha RX-V385). I have looked through the manual online and in theory it has pure pass-through options for both audio and video signals. I guess I will have to compare as having just one short 0.5m HDMI cable instead of two is tempting.

Cheers

Likely because the disc wasn't coded for that. Poor programming rather than a player fault. The on disc java environment is in control rather than the player. I've always turned off BD-Live even back in the days when the servers were still there as it was prone to glitches and errors of the type you describe.
You need to have a USB flash drive with at least 1GB free connected as local storage for BD-Live to work. I'm guessing that disc has a default check for BD-Live because it was available in the player settings and barfed when there wasn't any local storage.

My old Yamaha universal spinner has the same requirement but it does a check when it starts up and disables BD-Live if there isn't a USB drive attached.

I use 1.
Don't know re your receiver but my Marantz has the option to turn off all video processing, albeit with the loss of On Screen Display overlay. Although I never saw any indication of degradation of the video PQ, so have OSD set on.
3. I found to give more possibility of lip synch issues as the two signals are going by different paths.
Auto lip synch in the receiver can't then be used.

I use 1.
Don't know re your receiver but my Marantz has the option to turn off all video processing, albeit with the loss of On Screen Display overlay. Although I never saw any indication of degradation of the video PQ, so have OSD set on.
3. I found to give more possibility of lip synch issues as the two signals are going by different paths.
Auto lip synch in the receiver can't then be used.

interesting. I get some lip sync using 1, but never with 3

Has anyone else had this issue, please? I've bought a DPUB820 to replace the Lg UP970 that currently is used as a second player upstairs. My main player remains my Oppo UPD203.

I've connected the DPUB820 via HDMI 1 to my Denon AVR-X4500 and then to the HDMI inout of my Lg 55UH950V television. This is to make sure that everything is working as it should.

Apart from being disappointed by the DPUB820's abilities, or lack of to play video files (which I can work around) I am having major lip sync issues with the player only when I watch a Dolby Vision disc. All other discs play absolutely fine. I've tried Panasonic support (who are not very helpful and have taken ages to understand that I have the 820 connected to an amp) have not come up with anything. I have all the HDMI audio settings set as they should be on the player. I've tried various lip sync adjustments on the 820 and nothing seems to work. I can play a disc on the 820 and observe very bad lip sync on any Dolby Vision disc and put the same disc in my Oppo via the same amp and it plays perfectly, so I know that there is no issue with the discs. The amp is set to auto lip sync.

Has anyone else had this lip sync issue with Dolby Vision discs on the 820, please? If so, how have you solved it?

I'm grateful for any suggestions, even if it means taking it back for a replacement.

Has anyone else had this issue, please? I've bought a DPUB820 to replace the Lg UP970 that currently is used as a second player upstairs. My main player remains my Oppo UPD203.

I've connected the DPUB820 via HDMI 1 to my Denon AVR-X4500 and then to the HDMI inout of my Lg 55UH950V television. This is to make sure that everything is working as it should.

Apart from being disappointed by the DPUB820's abilities, or lack of to play video files (which I can work around) I am having major lip sync issues with the player only when I watch a Dolby Vision disc. All other discs play absolutely fine. I've tried Panasonic support (who are not very helpful and have taken ages to understand that I have the 820 connected to an amp) have not come up with anything. I have all the HDMI audio settings set as they should be on the player. I've tried various lip sync adjustments on the 820 and nothing seems to work. I can play a disc on the 820 and observe very bad lip sync on any Dolby Vision disc and put the same disc in my Oppo via the same amp and it plays perfectly, so I know that there is no issue with the discs. The amp is set to auto lip sync.

Has anyone else had this lip sync issue with Dolby Vision discs on the 820, please? If so, how have you solved it?

I'm grateful for any suggestions, even if it means taking it back for a replacement.
Is that using the same HDMI as your Oppo or a different one? My Marantz 7012 which is equivalent to a X4500 works fine with DV on UB820 with auto lip synch set. Might be worth double checking the setting as I think Denon/Marantz store settings by HDMI so while auto may be on for the 203 port it may not be on for the UB820 port. Also possibly worth trying another HDMI port on the X4500 and/or putting UB820 into the port the 203 uses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom