Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K Blu-ray Player Review & Comments

That price and they couldn't factor in SACD and DVD-
A playback? I'll stick with my Oppo.

That price and they couldn't factor in SACD and DVD-
A playback? I'll stick with my Oppo.
Panasonic don't think there is a large enough market for SACD for them to spend the buck in the require R&D. IMHO this player lives or dies on it streaming ability or lack there of.

From what I have heard, the Panasonics replacement due next year will have DVD Audio & SACD support, so if you need these (And quite frankly at this price they should be standard) it may be worth waiting till next year.

As to the Pioneers, then they usually drop a fair amount in price after a few months, so best to wait as currently they are way overpriced for what’s on offer.

Bill

Thanks Steve nice review this looks really impressive and judging by its analogue performance and balanced XLR, it's build quality and almost 8kg weight its more equivalent to the Oppo 205. So i dont think its to over priced for what your getting for the money.

Compared to the Pioneer lx ranges prices this seems like the better choice if your looking for audiophile sound

Regarding SACD I dont think it was that popular or played back by a large percentage of oppo owners I did not . DSD file formats are avaible for digital downloads so no need for physical discs. So i can understand why Panasonic chose not to incude it.

Does this model and the cheaper variant have a proper DV implementation or is it more like the Sony 4K players?

I've had this player for two weeks now and its stunning IMHO. Love the look, build and performance. I got this in anticipation of Jaws arriving on UHD BR and to sit with my new 55" Bravia that arrived just over a week ago, previously I was using the BDT500 that's now sat in the living room.

Very very happy here, nice kit.

Last edited:
What about Atmos and Netflix? It is being reported by some that Panasonic's new players include the ability to access Atmos in association with content that includes it on Netflix. This is despite previous players from Panasonic not having this ability, Panasonic saying their players don't have this ability when asked and Netflix not listing any device made by Panasonic as having this ability.

What is going on and do these players include this ability or not?

I’ve been looking and waiting for a decent universal player for a year now. The only one I’ve found that fits the bill is the Oppo 203 but I am hesitant to purchase something that is EOL and from a company that has withdrawn from the market – unless of course I find one at a bargain price.

I don’t think my wish list is that unobtainable.

Good build quality – doesn’t have to be milled from a solid block of titanium, just something with some weight to it – steel chassis, aluminium front etc.

Full size – has to look good in the rack

Universal disk playback – needs to replace multiple disc players – Sony can manage this for 150 quid….

Comprehensive display – I don’t want to be using my projector just for track no and time info

Reasonably priced - Oppo 203 money

This one looks gorgeous and I’m sure the performance matches but I think Panasonic have missed the “last physical disc player you will ever need” mark….

Hopefully the next few months might yield some more options….

I’ve been looking and waiting for a decent universal player for a year now. The only one I’ve found that fits the bill is the Oppo 203 but I am hesitant to purchase something that is EOL and from a company that has withdrawn from the market – unless of course I find one at a bargain price.

I don’t think my wish list is that unobtainable.

Good build quality – doesn’t have to be milled from a solid block of titanium, just something with some weight to it – steel chassis, aluminium front etc.

Full size – has to look good in the rack

Universal disk playback – needs to replace multiple disc players – Sony can manage this for 150 quid….

Comprehensive display – I don’t want to be using my projector just for track no and time info

Reasonably priced - Oppo 203 money

This one looks gorgeous and I’m sure the performance matches but I think Panasonic have missed the “last physical disc player you will ever need” mark….

Hopefully the next few months might yield some more options….

I bought my new Oppo 203 even knowing they weren't going to be producing any more players. My 103D was hassle free and gave great performance.

They have also stated they'll support their players for years to come, and it plays everything, plus with the zoom function, I can get rid of much hated black bars!

So if I buy this and play Dolby Vision disc content to a Panasonic DX902 (which doesn't have Dolby Vision), will the TV show the Dolby Vision content ? Or do you also need a TV which has Dolby Vision ?

So if I buy this and play Dolby Vision disc content to a Panasonic DX902 (which doesn't have Dolby Vision), will the TV show the Dolby Vision content ? Or do you also need a TV which has Dolby Vision ?

No, you'd get HDR10. Both the source and the display needs to be Dolby Vision compliant in order for you to get Dolby Vision. Note that any intermediate device such as an AV receiver would also need to have the ability to passthrough the associated HDR metadata.

Last edited:
Wonderful review! Glad Panasonic delivers in almost all areas.

I'll stick to my newly acquired Pioneer UDP-LX500. Best disc-spinner I've had to date in many areas.

Does this model and the cheaper variant have a proper DV implementation or is it more like the Sony 4K players?

Think you are confusing Sony TV's DV implementation with their UHD players different DV implementation.

Sold my Oppo 203 to get this. Build quality is top notch and for a top of the range player worth it's hefty weight! The good audio playback is a winner for me too with the analog outputs. Having never had SACD it's never been a concern. The ability to control the HDR to my projector too is a big bonus

I recently bought the dp-ub420 as my previous blu Ray player bit the dust.

I use it as a transport into my Denon AVR-x4300h.

Apart from Dolby Digital it seems to do everything that this player does (in terms of quality of output). I had to make a very tiny tweak to the colour & saturation in the menus. I was extremely impressed with the pq & the sound quality.

With 8k on the horizon I see no point in spending big bucks just now

A very nice and detailed review without beating around the bush. Can't wait to get the UU820 in hand this weekend.

looking at some comments in the owners thread its a not a great home network streamer.

how does it compare to the Oppo 203 in this respect?

looking at some comments in the owners thread its a not a great home network streamer.

how does it compare to the Oppo 203 in this respect?

It will be like most of Panasonic's other UHD players in this respect. If wanting to play MKV containers with HD audio formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD then you can forget it. It will play MKV containers, but has no support for the HD audio formats or Atmos if using its inbuilt media player.

It will be like most of Panasonic's other UHD players in this respect. If wanting to play MKV containers with HD audio formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby True HD then you can forget it. It will play MKV containers, but has no support for the HD audio formats or Atmos if using its inbuilt media player.

I am not in the market for a player like this, but that would be a serious negative for me.

Martin

I bought my new Oppo 203 even knowing they weren't going to be producing any more players. My 103D was hassle free and gave great performance.

They have also stated they'll support their players for years to come, and it plays everything, plus with the zoom function, I can get rid of much hated black bars!

You do no those black bars are suppose be their on some movie,by zooming them out your missing on a lot a picture information,at the top,bottom,& both sides,plus it degrade the overall P/Q.

I recently bought the dp-ub420 as my previous blu Ray player bit the dust.

I use it as a transport into my Denon AVR-x4300h.

Apart from Dolby Digital it seems to do everything that this player does (in terms of quality of output). I had to make a very tiny tweak to the colour & saturation in the menus. I was extremely impressed with the pq & the sound quality.

With 8k on the horizon I see no point in spending big bucks just now

You won't be seeing 8K for a fair while yet :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom