Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Player: Owners Thread

matthewricha

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just seen this beast of a player being noted for Second half of 2018.

I'm an Oppo 203 owner that is thing excites me :D

143621-tv-news-panasonic-ub9000-image1-rex6plsgqc.jpg

DP-UB9000 supports HDR10+, Dolby Vision HDR, Alexa and Google Assistant voice control (via a future software update), and 7.1 channel audio."

The emphasis will be on audio performance, with the DP-UB9000 having a dedicated audio power supply, a 'high-performance' DAC and an XLR balanced output.

Housed in new vibration-reducing casework, a thick steel plate fixes the optical disc drive to the chassis to reduce noise during disc rotation.

It also features the latest HCX (Hollywood Cinema Experience) processor and 4K upscaling and HDR optimisation technology that form part of the 2018 range.

Pricing is yet to be confirmed, and the DP-UB9000 is not expected to go on sale in the UK until the second half of 2018.

Panasonic announces DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

Probably still won't support SACD or DVD-A though, unlike the Oppo.

I wonder how good it's network file playback capabilities will be. As it's never been a strength of Panasonic products!

Mm good point! I spun a SACD for the first time a couple of weekends ago on the Oppo and it sounded fantastic.

Panasonic made some cracking universal disc spinners in the days of DVD. I had their LX-70 for years and it was utterly brilliant sound quality wise. I only recently replaced it with an Oppo 203. I wouldn't discount the possibility that this new Panasonic could supports legacy surround disc formats like SACD & DVD-A as a) they know how to do it well and b) they need to compete with the 203/5.

But it has a pretty box like the Oppo's .

Not really sure of the value of Audio outs unless you're still using CDs. No SACD for sure, so unless they add spotify or similar all rather pointless IMHO.

Not really sure of the value of Audio outs unless you're still using CDs. No SACD for sure, so unless they add spotify or similar all rather pointless IMHO.
Although I have a couple of HDMI capable surround sound receivers, I prefer to use the Oppo's 'analogue' audio outputs to connect to my 'four' stereo amplifiers ;)

It does depend on you’re needs and wants. I guessing but like the Oppo analog is not going to support Atmos and likely the receivers bass correction and eq is not to work either. So any advantage in DACs will be more than offset .

Looks nice but no SACD, if that is the case, would rule it out for me.

It does depend on you’re needs and wants. I guessing but like the Oppo analog is not going to support Atmos and likely the receivers bass correction and eq is not to work either. So any advantage in DACs will be more than offset .
Indeed, Atmos is not available via the Oppo's analogue outputs (no playback device offers this ability).

However, the Oppo does include a host of 'Speaker Configuration' options, including: speaker type, distance, trim and down-mixing. Along with, filter characteristics (roll-off), crossover frequency adjustment (40-250Hz) and even stereo to surround-sound processing.

Last edited:
Just like Saab they had a 900 model now they have a 9000 model.

Must admit I like the look...

Weighs 7.5 kg :thumbsup:
In a further effort to improve sound quality, the unit is 7.5 kilos, with a design that is supposed to reduce vibration. Panasonic announces DP-UB9000 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player

A lot more details here in the Panasonic press release: Panasonic launches new line-up of UHD Blu-Ray Players including reference-class UB9000 and supporting dynamic metadata technologies
I have just upgraded my UB900, I have put to 2 bricks on top and it's 7.5Kg also, and works so much better lol.

Jokes aside, if it's really going to be around £200 mark then it's a total bargain.

I prefered the picture from the Panny 700 compared to my Oppo
I don't know if that was due to the Hollywood tuning that Panasonic uses
Then again I want a player to produce the image as the director intended which opens a whole new can of worms because that is never brought into question with any player.

I have just upgraded my UB900, I have put to 2 bricks on top and it's 7.5Kg also, and works so much better lol.

Jokes aside, if it's really going to be around £200 mark then it's a total bargain.

That's for the HC2020 speaker/player. No price for the Panny as yet. Like the sturdy look of it, almost like they've copied Oppos build somewhat

That's for the HC2020 speaker/player. No price for the Panny as yet. Like the sturdy look of it, almost like they've copied Oppos build somewhat
Well I guess they read the forums as many buy the Oppo for build quality.

Looks like there may be a pimped up version available with lit up interior... :)
But what is more surprising is a fan opening shown when most other makes have gone over to fanless.

DV6-cMGWkAARnd6.jpg

Last edited:
Given that Panasonic are marketing it as a "Universal" player in their blurb, it may turn out to have SA-CD and DVD-A support. Cant find full specs yet, but we could live in hope.

If it can be made Region free for BD easily it will be on my list.

I’ll definitely be trying this or the 820 upon launch.

Well, multi channel analogue outputs are most welcome. But Panasonic's approach to onboard decoding flummoxes me. Do you still only set delay between channels?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom