Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Player: Owners Thread

A bold statement but as a fellow owner i have to disagree
Wich other players did you compare to, and what parameters ?
Im strictly speaking about objectiv evaluation that can be confirmed and documented.

I do think the image quality is very good with this player. I am less happy with analogue out. But I am the last bastion operating audio this way so no surprise really.

Over the last few months, I have just watched films and enjoyed them, so I'm not complaining.

I'll try a software update today then

Hey all. I’ve had my 9000 for about 8 weeks now and I’m really pleased with it except for one fairly major issue......

When turned on, the player freezes on the ‘Welcome’ message on the display, not outputting anything. After about 40 seconds the display changes to show ‘f99’ then switches off.

A reset using the front on/off button often fixes this but it’s getting more and more frequent. I’ve researched the f99 error code but can’t find anything in reference to it happening with this player - it appears to be a peak current issue in other Panny products. There’s mention of this happening to other Panny players in other threads here but there’s no mention of what’s causing it or how to fix it.

I’m on the latest firmware but at a loss as to what’s up. Anyone else had this freezing issue with theirs? Other than doing a full factory reset is there anything else I could try?

Cheers in advance :smashin:

Last edited:
You probably don't want to hear this, but I've never experienced any problems at all in the 4 months I've had mine. Not one glitch. It shouldn't be doing it.

Last edited:
You probably don't want to hear this, but I've never experience any problems at all in the 4 months I've had mine. Not one glitch. It shouldn't be doing it.
Thanks man.......a few other responses in other threads for other machines recon it should be straight back to Panny with it. Will do the factory reset and see if that works and go from there.

Cheers again for replying :smashin:

Hi all,
I have a nice 4K HDR DLNA Samsung TV able to read everything from my DLNA NAS BUT not able to forward atmos signal to the soundbar, and an atmos soundbar not able to forward HDR signal to the TV … so it's either good image either good sound... 8-(
I've read many of this topic posts (not all) but did not get 100% confirmation it will fulfill my simple needs: As I'd use this beautiful BD player mainly for DLNA streaming, would someone be so kind to confirm it works well to read MKVs 4K HDR with Atmos audio (using the 2 HMDIs outputs to TV and soundbar) please?
Any general feedback on the streaming experience also welcome!
Thx!

Hi all,
I have a nice 4K HDR DLNA Samsung TV able to read everything from my DLNA NAS BUT not able to forward atmos signal to the soundbar, and an atmos soundbar not able to forward HDR signal to the TV … so it's either good image either good sound... 8-(
I've read many of this topic posts (not all) but did not get 100% confirmation it will fulfill my simple needs: As I'd use this beautiful BD player mainly for DLNA streaming, would someone be so kind to confirm it works well to read MKVs 4K HDR with Atmos audio (using the 2 HMDIs outputs to TV and soundbar) please?
Any general feedback on the streaming experience also welcome!
Thx!
It doesn't support HD soundtracks from mkv at all (True HD/Atmos, DTS-HD/DTS-X).
If your main requirement is DLNA streaming a media player would seem a better choice.

Otherwise try for a 2nd hand Oppo 203 or a cheapish AVR which can do 4K passthrough. A decent media player and a cheap AVR or HDMI splitter would possibly be cheaper than a 203.

Last edited:
It doesn't support HD soundtracks from mkv at all (True HD/Atmos, DTS-HD/DTS-X).
How about lossless audio streams placed within the .m2ts container?

I am wanting to upgrade from my Sony UBP-X700. I use a JVC X7900 so I know the Panny will improve my 4K HDR image. Does anyone know if the 4K HDR video processing/ image of the 9000 is any better visually, than the 820? Especially if using it with a low/ basic luminescence display like the JVC X7900? I would not need anything else the 9000 offers, but do like the better build quality and look.

Kind thanks

I can only "speak" for my use of the players on my Panny 65FZ950. I have had the 820, and I got the 9000. There is really not any differences between the two players when it comes to picture quality.

What I love about the UB9000 is the building quality all over, the looks and the silence when used.

Kind thanks for your reply, @John Hother.

OK, I see. I have a very discerning eye, though. But thank you for noting your experience about the video difference, or lack of. Yes, I have since resolved to purchase the UB9000, build quality and quieter operation are always important things to me, especially as I have the ears of a bat!

Perhaps the THX certification of the 9000 also bears something better for the image.

I would feel better purchasing the 9000.

I am wanting to upgrade from my Sony UBP-X700. I use a JVC X7900 so I know the Panny will improve my 4K HDR image. Does anyone know if the 4K HDR video processing/ image of the 9000 is any better visually, than the 820? Especially if using it with a low/ basic luminescence display like the JVC X7900? I would not need anything else the 9000 offers, but do like the better build quality and look.

Kind thanks
I have reviewed (and own) both, and as far as I'm aware the only difference between the two is that the UB9000 has High and Basic Luminance Projector Optimiser settings, while the UB820 only has High. In all other respects the video performance is identical. If you've got the budget, I'd go for the UB9000 because the superior build quality makes it quieter. However if you can't afford it, the UB820 is superb value for money.

Kind thanks, @Steve Withers, I decided to purchase the 9000 and I feel better for it. It just looks much better in build and quality. Build quality and quieter operation are always important factors for me. Looking very forward to it and the improvements to my image.

I have reviewed (and own) both, and as far as I'm aware the only difference between the two is that the UB9000 has High and Basic Luminance Projector Optimiser settings, while the UB820 only has High. In all other respects the video performance is identical. If you've got the budget, I'd go for the UB9000 because the superior build quality makes it quieter. However if you can't afford it, the UB820 is superb value for money.

What does the THX bearing of the 9000 benefit from, though? Is it just sound via analogue connections? Or, very minor video and or audio improvements?

What does the THX bearing of the 9000 benefit from, though? Is it just sound via analogue connections? Or, very minor video and or audio improvements?
Exactly what is required for THX certification is a closely guarded secret, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it. For example the Oppo players aren't THX certified, but that's only because Oppo weren't prepared to pay for it. I'm sure the UB820 could be certified by THX, but I suspect Panasonic didn't want to pay to get it certified. It also gives the UB9000 a marketing edge.

THX has ment just around nothing for the last 20 years or so, Often you will find that THX products fails simple basic tests, and non THX products pass it all perfectly.
The Panasonic Chroma issue, and SD upscaling, is just a few things that should make it impossible to pass a THX test if it actually was a quality test, and THX specs should be transparent.

I tested some scenes from Avengers Endgame on my new UB9000 lat night. If memory serves correctly, the image is definitely improved over my Sony UBP-X700, sharper with more texture and more colour definition and contrast. A good example is Ancient One's golden garment played by Tilda Swinton in Endgame. It really struck me last night, the richness of the gold and silk material really came through. Did not notice that before with my X700. Fine details look improved, too. On my projector which is in a non-batcave and in a fast paced film like Endgame, the images seemed easier to follow and discern. The improvements are not always noticeable, when trying to think back to my X700 whilst viewing, but I think they are a overall a solid upgrade.

I am not sure if I am using the HDR Optimiser correctly. I set the player to basic luminance projector (350 nits) for use with my JVC X7900 projector. Is this correct? I tried high luminance projector (500 or 550 nits, I forget) and could not discern a difference with the HDR Optimiser on compared to with the basic luminance setting. Endgame metadata in the UB9000 info shows 4,000 nits. In layman's I am essentially making the original 4,000 nit capable image more manageable with respect of my display's inferior capabilities, right? So, breaking down that data to output as ideal as possible to a 350 or 500 nit capable display?

I think I need to get used to benefits of the HDR Optimiser. It definitely adds more colour and detail to bright/ specular highlights like explosions, sun, sky/ clouds and bright lit details. It also evens out the colour palette and adds more beauty to scenes and how they are lit and presented. I also liked how it improved the red lights on Thanos's ship in Endgame. There is a bright light at the top of the screen shining down over this, and with the optimiser off, the red lights and everything around it is washed out, but with it on, the red lights are preserved and bold as are the surrounding colours and imagery.

I also feel the optimiser flattens the image, things do not pop as much. I guess this is the result to be expected, in order to achieve more detail in bright parts of the image. I guess before I was being wowed by the 3D nature of my HDR image, but missing fine details and more accurate HDR colour.

Has anyone had the audio completely drop out/ cut out when playing a UHD?

This happens with my Endgame UHD when skipping chapters back or forth. I think it also occurs when forwarding or rewinding. I use a Yamaha A3070 receiver. It is not the UB9000 as I had the same issue with my Sony UBP-X700.

There is always a loud popping-thud sound before, and then no audio. Video playback continues normally. It occurs randomly, so can take a minute of chapter skipping until it happens. Audio cut out and pop occurs when video playback starts back. The only way to cure it is to try skipping back and forth or switch inputs back and forth - a handshake issue? Thus HDMI issue, perhaps? The scary thing is when trying to press play again, there is a loud thudding pop sound from my front speakers and sub, the sort that makes you worried it could damage your speakers.

I have tried everything but new HDMI 'high speed 2.0' leads, which are arriving tomorrow. I never 'upgraded' any of my HDMI leads (advertised as 1.4 at the time I purchased them), most of them continued to work fine with 4K HDR and Atmos. I understand most of it is just marketing crap and their exists only high speed and the older speed HDMI. But I have ordered some Amazon basics HDMI leads in the hope it could be this somehow.

I tried changing the Yamaha's speaker impedance from 8 Ohm to 6 Ohm, (my XTZ M6 are rated at 4 Ohm minimum). But I was quickly informed that this is not what I should do and advised to change it back, so I did. It did not stop the issue, anyway. Cannot find anything untoward on the disc surface. But I wiped it with my glasses/ lens cloth and 1:1 rubbing alcohol and water - I usually just use my dry lens cloth but thought I would try this for good measure. This did not help either. This is the only UHD I have ever had this happen with.

Perhaps due to the older leads, it is simply having trouble transmitting audio properly/ quickly enough with this particular UHD? But I thought a HDMI lead for 4K HDR/ Atmos either works or it does not? I hope it is not the receiver and have been advised it is most likely not. Perhaps it is a firmware bug with the receiver. If the new HDMI leads do not fix the problem the last thing I can think of to try would be to try a new copy of Endgame.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and have any ideas?

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

@fallinlight
I have never fast forwarded or reversed my discs so cant comment but
I would say that you are along the right lines
try the new cables if that doesn't fix it then changing the disc is definitely worth a try

Does anyone know why UHD players are always louder during the first chapter of a disc? The noise gradually decreases, at around chapter 3 I can barely hear it. And is this normal for the UB9000? My Sony UBP X-700 was the same I think, but I think my UB9000 is a little louder, a higher frequency.

Does anyone know why UHD players are always louder during the first chapter of a disc? The noise gradually decreases, at around chapter 3 I can barely hear it. And is this normal for the UB9000? My Sony UBP X-700 was the same I think, but I think my UB9000 is a little louder, a higher frequency.
Players read discs from the inside out to start with. So the disc rotates faster compared to when they are reading the outer tracks. Faster rotation = more air disturbance = more noise.

Also drive motor has to run faster so potentially produce more noise. It's not just the first chapter either. With a BD50/BD66 UHD the final chapters of the 2nd layer are located at the inner part of the disc but that is the end of a movie and will be masked by end credits music.

The last chapter of the 2nd layer and the next chapters of the 3rd layer in a BD100 will also be at the inner part of the disc. Usually not noticed as the movie soundtrack will be in full flow and so masks it. But with some UHDs e.g. BR2049 the 2nd to 3rd layer change takes place in scenes with not a lot of soundtrack and so may be noticeable.

Add to all of that mix, not perfectly flat discs in some cases. Warped discs will produce much more noise.

Last edited:
BR2049 the 2nd to 3rd layer change takes place in scenes with not a lot of soundtrack and so may be noticeable.

I use that disc a lot for tests, one of my main references. Never noticed! I think my X700 was perhaps a little quieter than my UB9000.

Add to all of that mix, not perfectly flat discs in some cases. Warped discs will produce much more noise.

I did not know that, interesting.

@fallinlight
I have never fast forwarded or reversed my discs so cant comment but
I would say that you are along the right lines
try the new cables if that doesn't fix it then changing the disc is definitely worth a try

I appear as it stands, to have fixed the issue. I managed to swap the disc at CeX for a brand new one and new set for that matter, as their copy was brought in sealed. Was worried the second used disc might have the same issue causing a wasted journey for me (not my local store). So, just my fortunate that their copy was brand new and for peace of mind. I spent a about three minutes skipping forwards and back and the audio did not drop out. Just the odd pop from my left side surround when skipping, but this sometimes happens with other films. I feel extremely relieved.

Note: I was informed that the bandwidth for the audio on a HD Blu-ray disc is the same as a UHD, so it was very unlikely to be my HDMI leads.

I use that disc a lot for tests, one of my main references. Never noticed! I think my X700 was perhaps a little quieter than my UB9000.
The first UB820 I had was very noisey at the 2nd to 3rd layer change on BR2049. I returned the player for that reason due to noise issues. My 2nd and 3rd UB820s are quiet during the scenes around the layer change with BR2049 (as is my X700).

That disc is a good test for player noise. If you don't notice any noise with your UB9000 you don't have a problem with the player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom