Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Player: Owners Thread

I don't think too deeply about the whys and wherefores of such things. Technology is evolving and different brands and players have strengths and weaknesses. Some are better than others. None are perfect.
The Pannys have steadily improved their PQ but their upscaling comes at a small cost of sharpening that's generally barely visible. It can be largely defeated by using the luma and chroma slides but with the price of dipped luminance which is visible. So the edge enhancement is, to me, preferable.
Having ringing on upscaled brs and dvds is a consequence of the technology, chip and algorithm, just like most cd players have ringing in the signal output as a natural consequence of the binary waveform. We buy different brands and qualities depending on our tastes and personal demands.
If we want perfection we pay a lot of money for a specific standard. But even some of the most expensive kit has 'flaws' simply because the technology has limitations.
I have a cd player that skews the signal in the DAC to smooth out the waveform and transients that results in an inaccurate output technically, but aurally is much more pleasing and closer to the original intent. Or I can set it to other presets on the fly, one of which is very technically accurate but can sound harsh with consequent ringing that is inherent in the way digital data is processed by technology.
Same with video technology.
You can't take analogue media like film, convert it to digital binary code then reconstruct it at the other end with the same level of detail. There are inevitable degrees of deterioration, as well as introduction of artefacts. The higher the quality in - say we have now 4k - the lower the losses of data, and better quality at the other end. The better technology evolves and the better the data in, the better the data is going to be at the consumer end.
It's just a fact that no matter how good we are at today's level of technology, we haven't hit the nearer to perfect levels we will get to eventually.
Tech today is good, but not perfect and will be better tomorrow.
What Panasonic are doing with DVDs is take an old level of tech with inherently and comparatively low levels of data and digitally upgrade it by adding digital information. Consequently the input is much less detailed and the processing is much higher, resulting in signal errors at the output stage way in excess of that of BR and especially 4k BR.
Panasonic have therefore chosen to do a lot of processing at the output stage to assist in ameliorating the deterioration of a signal that was already far less detailed to start with. And then to apply it to tvs or screens that are generally of a much higher spec and size than dvd was initially created for.
Just like in hifi, where we choose our kit according to how we perceive the music, and how well it recreates an original source, the same applies with av.
We choose Panasonic not because of any hope that we are getting perfection, but because we prefer how they implement technology to recreate original material to display. We have to accept technical limitations. We have to accept that only so much can be done to put out what someone at Panny has decided is the most preferable way to view the consequent image.
But what Panny has done in av is give us a lot of scope to personalise our settings and calibrate to our own tastes, once the processing has gone through input to output.
We can look at the DVD as a direct digital transfer from disc to output with all sliders at 0, and we will see the inherent flaws and ringing and lack of detail in the conversion of low data source to upscaled output. Or, we can further modify the output at the tv end or via the player.
Panasonic gave us a default they think is preferable to its consumers, that's all.
It's up to us if we like it or not. And it's up to us to decide what settings we prefer.
I personally think dvds don't need EH at +2 for my tv or my eyes. It needs EH but only +1, just like Blurays.
I also think some of the noise reduction is OTT resulting in loss of detail.
It's what Panasonic think looks best, generally.
But just like some of the presets on my cd player's DAC, depending on source, a less accurate conversion of the original signal results in a more pleasing sound. Same with the DVDs.
It's all about limitations inherent in the technology and how well the company can overcome those limitations, combined with our personal perceptions and preferences. You choose the player you prefer.
With Panny you can leave at their defaults or you can use one of their presets, or your own preferred settings.
If you want to get to the nitty gritty, you have to get the testing discs and the calibration equipment and make the changes based upon how your particular tv processes the data from your player etc. Generally with the Panasonic player, the most accurate setting would be everything at 0, giving an output as close to the input as possible.

I was merely explaining my experience with previous Panasonic decks and their deployment of noise reduction algorithms, based on your input regarding the way they implemented the feature in models preceding the UB820/9000; you thought it was the way they did things with their previous players, and I was explaining how, with the BD10A first generation BD player, at least, there were no sliders for NR to choose from. :beer:

Indeed, of course the "0" setting for all these adjustments would be ideal, as that would send out an unaltered signal -- and that's how I keep all the other sliders like color, sharpness, etc. in the player, as these have been adjusted in my display -- but I do tend to use some NR for DVD playback because a lot of the North American discs I play have been compressed to death and demand some kind of smoothing.

As to why someone chose +2 for that DVD EC preset? You'd have to ask them :0)
No, I realize that, of course; I was merely asking for your personal insight/opinion on why they may have chosen this arbitrarily.

Everything is cool with me.
I see in you someone like me who strives for clarity and accuracy and wants to be understood and wants to learn. And I am concerned that it can lead to frustration. And we all have the limitation of translating ideas to the written word. It's the nature of the beast.
I suggest we just let it all go and be a bit more mindful of how we express ourselves and try not to let minor squabbles of yesterday affect our heads, especially at this strange time. Things here can amplify unhealthily when we are sitting at home spending a lot of time in our own headspaces.
Ivan,

I will reply to your PM rather than continuing this here; I think I made my point to you, at least, that my intention was never to be aggressive and that I was merely explaining why I was asking certain questions.

Rather than derail the thread with this, I'll take it privately with you.

I was merely explaining my experience with previous Panasonic decks and their deployment of noise reduction algorithms, based on your input regarding the way they implemented the feature in models preceding the UB820/9000; you thought it was the way they did things with their previous players, and I was explaining how, with the BD10A first generation BD player, at least, there were no sliders for NR to choose from. :beer:

Indeed, of course the "0" setting for all these adjustments would be ideal, as that would send out an unaltered signal -- and that's how I keep all the other sliders like color, sharpness, etc. in the player, as these have been adjusted in my display -- but I do tend to use some NR for DVD playback because a lot of the North American discs I play have been compressed to death and demand some kind of smoothing.

No, I realize that, of course; I was merely asking for your personal insight/opinion on why they may have chosen this arbitrarily.
That's the point. It won't send an 'unaltered signal' out if you leave the sliders at 0 compared to the input though. It sends a very altered signal due to the upscaling and processing. It would send an unaltered altered signal :0)
The alterations at the end stage are all to ameliorate the alterations inherent in the processing.
I would say best settings for BR discs is less necessary because the processing isn't as huge in the chip taking 2k and 4k data at HD spec chroma and luma and processing it a bit to upscale colour a bit for 4k or colour and pixel density for HD.
But for SD DVD taking 0.7k of data up to 4k means a lot more processing. Hence the output needs further alteration that's left to the user to decide upon.

That's the point. It won't send an 'unaltered signal' out if you leave the sliders at 0 compared to the input though. It sends a very altered signal due to the upscaling and processing. It would send an unaltered altered signal :0)
The alterations at the end stage are all to ameliorate the alterations inherent in the processing.
I would say best settings for BR discs is less necessary because the processing isn't as huge in the chip taking 2k and 4k data at HD spec chroma and luma and processing it a bit to upscale colour a bit for 4k or colour and pixel density for HD.
But for SD DVD taking 0.7k of data up to 4k means a lot more processing. Hence the output needs further alteration that's left to the user to decide upon.
Yes -- I understand all that (regarding standard definition needing more "altering" and such). This is why I like to add elements such as noise reduction to DVD playback.

You're right, though, in that high definition/Blu-ray content shouldn't/doesn't normally require alterations of the signal via NR algorithms and the like...and that it's easier on a processor to scale 1080p content to 2160 resolution (much easier than scaling 480i video to the UHD spec...I understand that and wholeheartedly agree).

But all I was saying was that I leave players' settings, traditionally, on their default out-of-box values for parameters like color, sharpness, etc. (which is usually a "0" indicator) because this is as close to neutral as possible. Don't forget, the Panasonics don't offer a Source Direct mode to send out a disc's native information as-is to a display (which I never used anyway), so there's no real way to transfer a pixel-for-pixel image to a display; the closest we can come is to leave settings like sharpness, hue, saturation and contrast at neutral in the player.

Yes -- I understand all that (regarding standard definition needing more "altering" and such). This is why I like to add elements such as noise reduction to DVD playback.

You're right, though, in that high definition/Blu-ray content shouldn't/doesn't normally require alterations of the signal via NR algorithms and the like...and that it's easier on a processor to scale 1080p content to 2160 resolution (much easier than scaling 480i video to the UHD spec...I understand that and wholeheartedly agree).

But all I was saying was that I leave players' settings, traditionally, on their default out-of-box values for parameters like color, sharpness, etc. (which is usually a "0" indicator) because this is as close to neutral as possible. Don't forget, the Panasonics don't offer a Source Direct mode to send out a disc's native information as-is to a display (which I never used anyway), so there's no real way to transfer a pixel-for-pixel image to a display; the closest we can come is to leave settings like sharpness, hue, saturation and contrast at neutral in the player.
There is a source direct on Panny tvs like mine which will take 444 directly called 4k direct, and one for 1080p direct. The aim is to get that as pure as poss, but after 444 upscale colour processing.
And you can set your kit to get 420 at 8 bit, which is the native bitrate and chroma/luma from the player, but the tv will then have to do the rgb conversions and whatever else processing, such as motion etc. at that end.
I use 4k direct and the 1080p direct (on my PVR) which takes the 444 signal and disables the extra processing at the tv end. If I wanted to I could set the player to output native 420 at 8 bit, but then the tv would need to process more for probably a lesser result. But to do so would need alteration in setup options.

Mod comment. There have been several replies deleted that having no bearing in the thread and seems to be degenerating into personal point scoring. It's spoiling the thread for other members. Please keep the personal jibes out of the Forum please. I don't want to use sanctions.

Hi All
Trying to do a factory reset on mine but don't have 08 FIN..
I have 00 RET,03 VL,04PRG,05P/N,07 DC and 13 L4K
Any help appreciated
Smiffy

Hi All
Trying to do a factory reset on mine but don't have 08 FIN..
I have 00 RET,03 VL,04PRG,05P/N,07 DC and 13 L4K
Any help appreciated
Smiffy
Did you start with power on? or power off?
AFAIK the way to get it to work is to start with the opposite power state to the instructions.

Did you start with power on? or power off?
AFAIK the way to get it to work is to start with the opposite power state to the instructions.

That worked.Thank you Sir.Appreciated

Is this available for multi-region DVD and also... multi-zone BLURAY?
Will I be able to use this player on a non-4k TV until I decide to get one (after the pandemic - whenever that is)?

Will I be able to use this player on a non-4k TV until I decide to get one (after the pandemic - whenever that is)?
1. Yes can be made MR for DVD via use of a hacking remote, costs around £12 on ebay or you can buy one from TPS already set up for this. £795.00 - Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player MULTIREGION for DVD - DP-UB9000 - Panasonic Blu-ray - MULTIREGION - TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd
2. No, unless using hacked firmware
Yes.

Regarding your query about being able to use this with a non-4K TV...you'd either have to set resolution to "Auto" (which will enable the player to select the best output for your display) or to the native resolution of your display -- which I'm assuming is 1080p?

Yes, it's a Pioneer KRP-600A KURO plasma - so yes, 1080p. :smashin:
Nice...

So, in that case, you can either set the player to AUTO resolution (where it should choose "1080p" for your particular screen via an HDMI handshake) or 1080p; everything will be output at that resolution, so playing DVDs and regular Blu-rays would be a rudimentary affair (with DVDs being upscaled to 1080, of course), while I THINK 4K Blu-rays (if you bought any) would be "downscaled" to the lower resolution (not 100-percent sure on that one)...

Yes, I have a few 4k uhd titles (say 20) in anticipation of my upgrade (to either a Panasonic HZ2000 65" OLED... or a Samsung Q950TS 8K 65" QLED). Just wanna get through this pandemic first though. Many thanks again!

Yes, I have a few 4k uhd titles (say 20) in anticipation of my upgrade (to either a Panasonic HZ2000 65" OLED... or a Samsung Q950TS 8K 65" QLED). Just wanna get through this pandemic first though. Many thanks again!
I understand about getting through the pandemic; hope you and your loved ones stay safe. You have more "bought in anticipation" titles than I own since actually having a 4K disc player!

In the meantime, though, if you don't watch the regular Blu-ray copies that come with most (all?) 4K titles, I believe the player will "downscale" the 2160 resolution on the 4K discs to match your display's native res (1080p in this case)...

That IS very interesting -- and I am very curious about this upgrade being able to disable the auto-off feature which annoys me to NO END on this Panasonic...

I wish there was a modification a company would do which would allow the player to zoom 4:3 content to fill the screen while also allowing for zooming of non-anamorphic DVDs (something I sorely miss from my previous Oppo and Cambridge players), as Panasonic isn't going to address this in a firmware update (if it would even be possible). I also wish there was a resume playback feature when a disc is ejected; not having something like this just doesn't make sense, especially on a unit of this caliber.

If the UB9000 had all these features -- and maybe the SACD/DVD-A support for those who want it; those formats are lost on me -- it would be the ideal all-in-one solution.

Last edited:
I'm going to look into this as well because the auto off feature drives me mad as well.

Hi all, I apologize for that but I've been looking to buy oppo 203 but unfortunately the price too expensive, my concern is I have DVD blu ray movies and some files are ripped to MKV in HDD external. So, my question does this model support media by HDD and support SRT subtitles as well as does oppo 203? if not, would you please recommend me media player as I said my movies contents Dolby vision and hdr10+ so there is not tv box that will support these Dolby vision double layer.

Last edited:
Cant you flash original firmware on? Then see if its ok and if not send it back?I notice the new China region firmware is 1.66 whereas everyone else still on 1.60

Cant you flash original firmware on? Then see if its ok and if not send it back?I notice the new China region firmware is 1.66 whereas everyone else still on 1.60

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom