Panasonic DX902B Owners Thread Part 4

Fire TV 4K stick.
Have you read eddys faq yet? I wouldn't touch brightness or contrast on hdr content, otherwise it won't be tracking the etof, hdr isn't about the overall image being brighter, in some instances its actually darker, the specular highlights/sunsets/reflections are what make the difference.

Have you read eddys faq yet? I wouldn't touch brightness or contrast on hdr content, otherwise it won't be tracking the etof, hdr isn't about the overall image being brighter, in some instances its actually darker, the specular highlights/sunsets/reflections are what make the difference.

Yep. I am aware of that. Will gradually increase once my eyes get used to it.

Motion looks quite bad to my eyes. It's worse than my LG C8 OLED.

Blur reduction - 10
Film Smooth - 0

This helps a bit but could be better. Btw, I am okay with 24fpa telecinic judder as I am used to it but on this I am seeing stutter.

Also any idea why Custom picture mode even at 50 is super bright whilst True Cinema, Cinema, Professional etc. are noticeably dimmer at the same values as Custom?

If 2nd user did you factory reset tv or reset the picture modes?

Motion looks quite bad to my eyes. It's worse than my LG C8 OLED.

Blur reduction - 10
Film Smooth - 0

This helps a bit but could be better. Btw, I am okay with 24fpa telecinic judder as I am used to it but on this I am seeing stutter.

Also any idea why Custom picture mode even at 50 is super bright whilst True Cinema, Cinema, Professional etc. are noticeably dimmer at the same values as Custom?
Motion is fine to me, never seen any stutters and better than my panny oled and the 3 other lg oleds I've owned before it. Not sure about custom picture preset as I only use pro 1 and 2, you havnt got clear motion on have you?

Same here, I have all processing off always, not even on low or custom...

Motion is fine to me, never seen any stutters and better than my panny oled and the 3 other lg oleds I've owned before it. Not sure about custom picture preset as I only use pro 1 and 2, you havnt got clear motion on have you?

Good point on clear motion. Let me check once I am back home. Maybe that's why it was quite dark as that's what happens when we turn on Black Frame Insertion on the OLEDs.

50 on this looks like 75-80 on OLED.

So far I haven't noticed any blooming and light spillage on the black bars which is a huge relief.

It seems like LED-LCD tech has gone backwards since 2017 as there is barely any TV that exceeds Sony ZD9 or this one.

Good point on clear motion. Let me check once I am back home. Maybe that's why it was quite dark as that's what happens when we turn on Black Frame Insertion on the OLEDs.

50 on this looks like 75-80 on OLED.

So far I haven't noticed any blooming and light spillage on the black bars which is a huge relief.

It seems like LED-LCD tech has gone backwards since 2017 as there is barely any TV that exceeds Sony ZD9 or this one.
Fald costs too much to make unfortunately

Fald costs too much to make unfortunately

True Cinema / Cinema / THX / Professional 1 / Professional 2 - reset to default, set backlight and contrast at 50, and is still 20-25% dimmer than Custom, normal and dynamic at the same setting.

The difference in brightness is quite dramatic as if the someone put some light filter on the path.

Clear motion set to off.

What am I missing?

Didn't Panasonic also stop making their own LCD panels a while back? I read they may stop making LCD TVs altogether in a few years, presume they think OLED has won the format battle if there was such a thing!

True Cinema / Cinema / THX / Professional 1 / Professional 2 - reset to default, set backlight and contrast at 50, and is still 20-25% dimmer than Custom, normal and dynamic at the same setting.

The difference in brightness is quite dramatic as if the someone put some light filter on the path.

Clear motion set to off.

What am I missing?
You need contrast at 90 for starters, brightness at 50-60 is correct for daytime viewing

You need contrast at 90 for starters, brightness at 50-60 is correct for daytime viewing

At first I expect the brightness to be similar in all modes at the same picture preset.

25% difference between custom and professional mode is massive. It's night and day. How does it look in yours mate?

At first I expect the brightness to be similar in all modes at the same picture preset.

25% difference between custom and professional mode is massive. It's night and day. How does it look in yours mate?
I won't be home until later but I'll have a look

I've noticed this too.

Probably a big no no amongst the purists but I use custom for content which I artificially apply HDR to using the 4k firestick.

I've noticed this too.

Probably a big no no amongst the purists but I use custom for content which I artificially apply HDR to using the 4k firestick.

I haven't resorted to custom but there is a massive difference in brightness (maybe around 250-300 nits). This makes a huge impact especially on HDR

I'm not really sure of the cause of Normal and Dynamic have a brighter image, but True Cinema gives the correct luminance for HDR across the range.
I suspect the Normal/Dynamic boost the brightness to give that big impact that grabs attention, but won't be correct to the director's intent.

I'm not really sure of the cause of Normal and Dynamic have a brighter image, but True Cinema gives the correct luminance for HDR across the range.
I suspect the Normal/Dynamic boost the brightness to give that big impact that grabs attention, but won't be correct to the director's intent.

After spending couple of hours messing around.I think you maybe right.

The light output is significantly restrained on modes besides Normal (which looks awful), Dynamic (which is okay to show off in the shop floor) and Custom (seems like somewhere in between True Cinema and THX Cinema).

HDR is a mostly great except where scenes with near blacks / low APL scene with some bright elements. This is where OLEDs truly shine.

Logan (opening fight scene) and some scenes in TDKR exposes the weaknesses of backlight based TVs. Having said that, the added brightness makes up for it. Pacific Rim Hong Kong scene looked absolutely stunning. I did see some DSE pop in occasionally but for the price I paid, I am not going to be bothered by it.

Fire TV adaptive display mode is a mess and only other option is forced HDR which is okay for HDR but can be a hit or miss on SDR

Fire TV adaptive display mode is a mess and only other option is forced HDR which is okay for HDR but can be a hit or miss on SDR

I've had issues with the adaptive mode on the firestick so started using a Roku SS+ more.

I mostly use the forced HDR on animated stuff, older shows like Star Trek which use a lot of soft lighting, and CGI heavy movies like Avengers.

Also really helped with Vikings on Amazon which is just a dull grey mess otherwise.

I've had issues with the adaptive mode on the firestick so started using a Roku SS+ more.

I mostly use the forced HDR on animated stuff, older shows like Star Trek which use a lot of soft lighting, and CGI heavy movies like Avengers.

Also really helped with Vikings on Amazon which is just a dull grey mess otherwise.

Looks like I made a mistake by buying the Fire TV stick. I would like it to send the signal as is.

Adaptive completely messes up pretty much everything in YouTube (blown out highlights, over saturated colours) whilst I don't like forced HDR on SDR as it definitely looks fake to my eyes.

Looks like I made a mistake by buying the Fire TV stick. I would like it to send the signal as is.

Adaptive completely messes up pretty much everything in YouTube (blown out highlights, over saturated colours) whilst I don't like forced HDR on SDR as it definitely looks fake to my eyes.

I've only had issues with iPlayer and HLG in adaptive mode. Don't watch much YouTube, but I had a different version working perfectly previously.

When Amazon had their spat with Google and there was no YouTube app I was using smart YouTube app (think that's what it's called). You can find instructions for installing it online. That worked flawlessly in adaptive mode. It might have also made YouTube add free. Worth a look

I've only had issues with iPlayer and HLG in adaptive mode. Don't watch much YouTube, but I had a different version working perfectly previously.

When Amazon had their spat with Google and there was no YouTube app I was using smart YouTube app (think that's what it's called). You can find instructions for installing it online. That worked flawlessly in adaptive mode. It might have also made YouTube add free. Worth a look

Adaptive and YouTube is a cluster***k. :(

I am aware of the bad history between Amazon and Google (and Disney USA lol).

I did install YouTube from the app store. It seems fine with forced HDR (besides the fact that forced HDR on SDR looking fake) but not with adaptive.

Haven't tried iPlayer and adaptive. For now, I will leave it at forced HDR as I mainly watch YouTube.

Will be trying some 4K UHD movies sometime this week.

hye guys urgently which HDMI port is required for ARC? Wall mounted my TV.. I'm guessing its the one which is not accessible by the side?? ")

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom