Panasonic EZ952 4K OLED TV owners and discussion thread

Is it possible to get 5.1 audio using arc with the EZ952? I’ve got my full surround sound setup again but I only seem to get 2 channel audio from the built in Netflix when using arc?
Have you set the Hdmi to bitstream?

Is it possible to get 5.1 audio using arc with the EZ952? I’ve got my full surround sound setup again but I only seem to get 2 channel audio from the built in Netflix when using arc?
Yes, definitely. Netflix have a Test Signals channel, which includes audio idents so you can check that you get ident tones sent to each of your 5.1 speakers individually.

Yes, definitely. Netflix have a Test Signals channel, which includes audio idents so you can check that you get ident tones sent to each of your 5.1 speakers individually.
How have you configured the return channel? Do you set it to auto, bitstream or pcm?

How have you configured the return channel? Do you set it to auto, bitstream or pcm?
I can't actually see any setting for that in the menu. The only one I can see is SPDIF Selection, which is on Auto. Not sure if that's relevant to the ARC though.

I can't actually see any setting for that in the menu. The only one I can see is SPDIF Selection, which is on Auto. Not sure if that's relevant to the ARC though.
Mine is set to auto too but no matter what I play in Netflix my amp only shows the 2 front stereo speakers activated ( it’s a Yamaha amp with a little graphic that shows which speakers are active)
All my other devices play 5 channels fine. Maybe I’ve set something wrong in my amp I will keep playing around.

You’re right, you can’t. One might think it should be possible to adjust using ”Zoom” aspect ratio from the remote and then making adjustment for your liking in the picture-screen settings-zoom adjustment menu, but you cannot. The fact is that Panasonic reduced the number of picture format options when they released the oleds.

On the other hand, people always say you should have the picture like the director intended..
Does the built in Amazon Prime App allow zooming maybe? I've never tried the app, because getting internet to the TV would be quite an undertaking in my house.

Or did Panasonic maybe say this feature will come in a firmware update someday (like HDR10) ?

I guess more people need to complain directly to Panasonic about issues like that.

Hi all,
So I've done a naughty and went looking at greyscale slides purely out of curiosity on what the panel uniformity on my 65" set is like.. I just want to know whether this is roughly par for course, or if it is particularly bad in comparison with other members on here?

I must say though, I've not really noticed any of the thin streaks/banding when viewing normal content, but, I can see the streaks/banding from 4-5%, up to a 15% IRE full field slide.(only 10% and 15%attached, 5% not that visible with my camera) PS - the graininess is just the iphone camera and not representative of the image when viewed in person.

Appreciate your thoughts. (let sleeping dogs lie?)
Thanks!
EDIT to include - Panel hours: 112hrs

Attachments

• IMG_7428.JPG
    IMG_7428.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7429.JPG
    IMG_7429.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7430.JPG
    IMG_7430.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
Frankly, not a lucky panel unfortunately. Very visible VB on 10% and 15% slides is not so good, I saw way more uniform panels out there. If you have never noticed banding during normal contents is just because you don't have particularly finicky eyes and sometimes that's a fortune… ;)

Frankly, not a lucky panel unfortunately. Very visible VB on 10% and 15% slides is not so good, I saw way more uniform panels out there. If you have never noticed banding during normal contents is just because you don't have particularly finicky eyes and sometimes that's a fortune… ;)
Thanks for your input - There also seems to be a bit of discoloration on the sides and center. Can *sometimes* notice that in fullscreen bright scenes.

Hi all,
So I've done a naughty and went looking at greyscale slides purely out of curiosity on what the panel uniformity on my 65" set is like.. I just want to know whether this is roughly par for course, or if it is particularly bad in comparison with other members on here?

I must say though, I've not really noticed any of the thin streaks/banding when viewing normal content, but, I can see the streaks/banding from 4-5%, up to a 15% IRE full field slide.(only 10% and 15%attached, 5% not that visible with my camera) PS - the graininess is just the iphone camera and not representative of the image when viewed in person.

Appreciate your thoughts. (let sleeping dogs lie?)
Thanks!
EDIT to include - Panel hours: 112hrs

I noticed some DSE/banding-issues on my set about the same time after purchase as you did and was pretty frustrated at first. Luckily unlike with my former LED-panel most of these patterns are not permanent. Meaning: the „small“ panel maintenance every 4 hours will usually improve some of it.
It is not completely gone now, but it doesn’t bother me whilest watching normal content and it’s definitely better than on my old TV.

I noticed some DSE/banding-issues on my set about the same time after purchase as you did and was pretty frustrated at first. Luckily unlike with my former LED-panel most of these patterns are not permanent. Meaning: the „small“ panel maintenance every 4 hours will usually improve some of it.
It is not completely gone now, but it doesn’t bother me whilest watching normal content and it’s definitely better than on my old TV.

Thanks for that, that's reassuring! Yes the panel maintenance that occurs after the TV's been in use for 4+hrs happens routinely and completes in about 10mins(when the amber LED turns red) However, when does the 'Regular' panel maintenance run? The one that takes 80mins to complete? I've not received a prompt to run that yet... Does it need to be manually initiated?

Thanks for that, that's reassuring! Yes the panel maintenance that occurs after the TV's been in use for 4+hrs happens routinely and completes in about 10mins(when the amber LED turns red) However, when does the 'Regular' panel maintenance run? The one that takes 80mins to complete? I've not received a prompt to run that yet... Does it need to be manually initiated?
As far as I know it starts automatically after 2000 hours of watching. It can be initiated manually, but that‘s not recommend unless there are severe uniformity issues.

Under the sound menu, you set the HDM format to bitstream.
I've sat and stared at that menu for five minutes now and totally failed to find a menu setting for that. Are you sure about this?

I've sat and stared at that menu for five minutes now and totally failed to find a menu setting for that. Are you sure about this?
I'm not at home, but from memory under Menu/Sound - if you scroll down I'm sure it has an option for 'HDMI Format' that is probably set to 'Auto' as default. One of the options is bitstream. However, I think the real issue is that the Apps themselves don't support the hardware options in the TV, and instead either they are the TV is trying to decode the sound first, and the default is good old Stereo PCM.

Weird. Where yours says 'HDMI Audio Format', mine says 'SPDIF Selection'. Maybe because I'm already configured for and using ARC?

My apps definitely support full 5.1 multichannel output via ARC.

Weird. Where yours says 'HDMI Audio Format', mine says 'SPDIF Selection'. Maybe because I'm already configured for and using ARC?

My apps definitely support full 5.1 multichannel output via ARC.
Ah, that’s because my picture is the menu when displayed over an HDMI source. If I look at the same menu when viewing an onboard app or freeview, I see the SPDIF selection as well. Sorry.

Guys,

Today I updated from 270 to 290.

I didn't change anything else, but now on Netflix I get sound drop outs on anything thats DD.

Sky Q, Amazon and YouTube all fine no issues but Netflix just keeps dropping.

Any ideas ?

Sound dropping cannot be related with FRC version, just a coincidence.

Guys,

Today I updated from 270 to 290.

I didn't change anything else, but now on Netflix I get sound drop outs on anything thats DD.

Sky Q, Amazon and YouTube all fine no issues but Netflix just keeps dropping.

Any ideas ?
Do a power reset on your amp and TV and see if it is OK after. As thx75 said just a coincidence.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom