Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

Finished The Matrix 4K trilogy having watched Revolutions tonight. The original might be the best film, but damn, the second half of Revolutions is a great showcase for HDR, especially when the onslaught of gunfire litters the screen as the machines enter Zion - equivilant to fireworks, basically.

Obviously I was expecting Neo's big fight with Agent Smith in the stormy night to prove the highlight for the OLED, little surprise there - I literally had goosebumps!

Nice to see, but just as good to hear - probably the most impressed I've been to date by my Yamaha YSP-2700, too.

Last edited:
Panasonic have really killed the cinema for me with this TV.

I watched The Matrix last night (courtesy of Amazon's recent trilogy prime day deal).

Does anyone here use the HDR Auto Brightness function? Teoh mentions it in his review here:

While using Professional 1 HDR, I did test that last quoted part out with regards to boosting object brightness without brightening the overall picture. It does seem to work exactly as described while testing on Netflix. I think it helps to give a bit more HDR impact for dark room viewing while still retaining the much loved accurate colours and skin tones provided by the Professional modes.

I've been using the Normal mode before this as suggested in John Archer's review due to the additional brightness and HDR kick it appears to provide. It's useful for day viewing, but toggling between Normal and Professional1, it's clear Normal raises the overall brightness of the entire screen.

I gather most here probably just use the Professional modes for everything. Do you also find the HDR Auto Brightness option useful, as Vincent has suggested?

I use professional 1 with HDR auto brightness for HDR gaming. During the day it makes the levels look correct (not too dim) at night it dosnt appear to change much at all. I'm a big fan of it.

I use professional 1 with HDR auto brightness for HDR gaming. During the day it makes the levels look correct (not too dim) at night it dosnt appear to change much at all. I'm a big fan of it.
I'll give it another look, but I suspect I've probably got too used to the Normal custom mode recommended by John Archer (I ended up switching the colour temperature to Warm2 though, from his recommended Warm1).

His recommemdation does the job quite well for when there's some sunlight entering the room. I find it far too bright for a proper black room viewing though. Professional 1 does the job just fine for that scenario.

I just have Normal and Professional1 as the two saved to the Picture button, so I can easily toggle between them depending on lighting.

Hi all
I joined amazon prime and enjoying 4k hdr good omen...picture is amazing
However, I am loosing details in the blacks...the brightness is obviously maxed out in hdr
Beside playing with gamma and a calibration I can’t do, some advice welcome..I am using pro1 and 2
Anyone using the hdr on or off button ?

Not a problem at all but keen to know if someone found way to improve
I love the skin tones in 4k...

Last edited:
I'll give it another look, but I suspect I've probably got too used to the Normal custom mode recommended by John Archer (I ended up switching the colour temperature to Warm2 though, from his recommended Warm1).

His recommemdation does the job quite well for when there's some sunlight entering the room. I find it far too bright for a proper black room viewing though. Professional 1 does the job just fine for that scenario.

I just have Normal and Professional1 as the two saved to the Picture button, so I can easily toggle between them depending on lighting.
I didn’t use normal at all yet...
I will have a go and see if it improves picture for hdr in particular...
I believe normal goes higher in nits which may improve the lower end blacks details by increasing the dynamic range the tv can play with...

Hi. I have asked this before. I have spoken to panasonic today about the right hdmi cable for an fz802b. They said i need hdmi 2.0 that supports hdcp2.2. Is this right it will be connected to a denon 2500h amp. I am getting very conflicting answer from different shops. Some say i can use my existing 10yr old ixos cable which i think is 1.0 i am not very good with this sort of tech and want to get this right.

Hi. I have asked this before. I have spoken to panasonic today about the right hdmi cable for an fz802b. They said i need hdmi 2.0 that supports hdcp2.2. Is this right it will be connected to a denon 2500h amp. I am getting very conflicting answer from different shops. Some say i can use my existing 10yr old ixos cable which i think is 1.0 i am not very good with this sort of tech and want to get this right.
Connect up and if the cable is not good enough you'll soon know with little sparkles appearing all over the screen with 4K signals or break up the image. FWIW I'm using an old Ixos cable between my 4K player and the FZ because the sparkles were evident with a much newer QED cable. Cheapo cables that came with new SkyQ worked fine.

Connect up and if the cable is not good enough you'll soon know with little sparkles appearing all over the screen with 4K signals or break up the image. FWIW I'm using an old Ixos cable between my 4K player and the FZ because the sparkles were evident with a much newer QED cable. Cheapo cables that came with new SkyQ worked fine.
Can you explain a sparkle? New to uhd.

Can you explain a sparkle? New to uhd.
Just random little white dots appearing all over the screen, especially noticeable on the black bars top and bottom when watching a widescreen presentation.

Normal mode deffo does give the HDR some extra kick, i quite like the look of it..

Is there a way to have the TV start up on the apps home screen automatically when it's turned on?
Or does one always have to punch in the "apps" button on the remote...
If one doesn't have any devices connected to the tele..It just displays a black screen, and a pop up that no signal/source is detected..
Trying to figure out if I can set it up to just boot into the apps home screen..:(

Normal mode deffo does give the HDR some extra kick, i quite like the look of it..

So isn't normal mode just a label if the settings match professional 1 or do you have any settings different?

I don't get why in professional 1 Panasonic would lower their peak brightness?

Is there a way to have the TV start up on the apps home screen automatically when it's turned on?
Or does one always have to punch in the "apps" button on the remote...
If one doesn't have any devices connected to the tele..It just displays a black screen, and a pop up that no signal/source is detected..
Trying to figure out if I can set it up to just boot into the apps home screen..:(
I get that result by using a Harmony Elite remote. I bought it due to the HDMI ARC issues that many of us seem to be having: going Optical I lost the CEC benefit of the TV remote controlling receiver volume, toggling inputs automatically for devices powering on/off.

The Harmony took care of all that with Activities. I have one for the TV named TV Home - pressing this powers on the TV, receiver, hits the TV's Home button and switches the receiver to Optical input.

There's some other benefits to the Harmony too - like for my UB420 4K Blu-ray player. This powers everything on, switches TV to HDMI1 for the UB420 (required for HDR10+) and switches the receiver to HDMI3 for the UB420's HDMI audio output.

I get that result by using a Harmony Elite remote. I bought it due to the HDMI ARC issues that many of us seem to be having: going Optical I lost the CEC benefit of the TV remote controlling receiver volume, toggling inputs automatically for devices powering on/off.

The Harmony took care of all that with Activities. I have one for the TV named TV Home - pressing this powers on the TV, receiver, hits the TV's Home button and switches the receiver to Optical input.

There's some other benefits to the Harmony too - like for my UB420 4K Blu-ray player. This powers everything on, switches TV to HDMI1 for the UB420 (required for HDR10+) and switches the receiver to HDMI3 for the UB420's HDMI audio output.

Amazing!..I just got a harmony elite remote...
I have a Sonos beam hooked up to the ARC port...

So you're saying I can create an activity for the TV that powers it into the Apps home screen?
I'll give it a shot..Thanks & Cheers! :)

Amazing!..I just got a harmony elite remote...
I have a Sonos beam hooked up to the ARC port...

So you're saying I can create an activity for the TV that powers it into the Apps home screen?
I'll give it a shot..Thanks & Cheers! :)
Yeah, I personally prefer the Home screen where I have Youtube, Netflix, Amazon and Apps pinned their. You could just as easily have the activity set to press the Apps button instead of Home, if you prefer that.

Just buy a cable that has an orange and silver hologram sticker to certify that it has been tested to the Premium UHD specification. Doesn't have to be expensive, a 2M one will generally set you back less then a tenner. For example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Antiference-Premium-Certified-Ethernet-Feature-Gold/dp/B079JT6GB3

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Tried today on good omen and it worked in the sense the hdr was considerably better than pro1 or pro2. I could not however access the gamma
Custom also seemed way brighter so may have to explore that too...

Panasonic TX 65FZ952B

Instore Price @ Costco £1199.98 inc VAT

Panasonic TX 65FZ952B

Instore Price @ Costco £1199.98 inc VAT
Let me be clear here for a second. If this price is confirmed, this is INCREDIBLE!!!
If you getting the picture I have at home on a 65 with better sound and remote on top, I say DO NOT THINK TWICE !!!

with such price, you will miss NOTHING and I mean it. You will be smiling in 2-4 years should you wish to upgrade...
I paid mine so cheap that I barely think burn in..or whatever...helps...a lot.

Let me be clear here for a second. If this price is confirmed, this is INCREDIBLE!!!

If you're interested I wouldn't hang around as Costco have obviously been tasked with getting shot of last years stock for a variety of manufacturers and models....

OLED Price Changes

Last edited:
Costco Stevenage currently have the 65FZ952 @ £1199 incl VAT.

Only at that warehouse, as its a new warehouse opening offer. They have 3 left.

All other warehouses still at £1379.

NB: Sorry hadn't noticed it had already been posted.

As someone that snapped up an FZ before they sold out I’ve been waiting for this review to see if I made a mistake by not waiting. Whilst the GZ is a slight improvement the stutter is still an issue which was my biggest concern and if it was fixed I would of paid the extra for a GZ. Personally I don’t think DV is a game changer on current OLED panels so I’m happy that I picked up an FZ now.
Just to add, I messaged Vincent to test the GZ with that planet of the apes scene as it’s the worst case of stutter I’ve seen on my EZ then the FZ. So it is a worst case scenario but still not good, I wonder why they can’t seem to fix it at the 3rd attempt with an all new processor?

Last edited:
Can some of you tell me how to register the Panasonic fz802b oled tv 5 yr warrenty. With Panasonic. There is no warrenty card. Thanks

If you're interested I wouldn't hang around as Costco have obviously been tasked with getting shot of last years stock for a variety of manufacturers and models....

OLED Price Changes
I already married the little sister 820 and she is making me very happy even at 55
Still have to work on her hdr but all good in picture paradise !!!
I need to see a shrink...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom