Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

It does it with my 4k bluray player aswell as my external HDD......Never had the issue before or for the last 11 months.....it's just started doing it in the last week or so.

I'll be watching a film on my 4k Bluray player and the TV will suddenly turn off....then turns itself back on again. but it doesn't affect the Blu-ray player 🤷
It could be an electronic fault, but it would be worth checking your Viera Link settings. Also, try removing EVERY remote control from the room once you've started watching a film. There have been cases where remotes with flat batteries have started doing weird things that have affected the TV, particularly Apple TV remotes.

Hi.

( Copied from my post the other day )

I hope everyone is safe and well.

So I have had my Panasonic 65-FZ802 coming up to nearly a year now ( Brought from John Lewis )
and seem to have an issue with the TV turning itself off when watching films on my Panasonic 4k Blu-ray player or via my plugged in USB hardrive ( WD my passport)
It's been fine as I say for nearly a year but over the last month it will just turn off whilst using either external equipment, but it is fine whilst watching SKY Q.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with their Panasonic TV?

Cheers

Daren
This happens to me a while back when I first got the TV. After a few days of head scratching I noticed that the reason being that some of the file I play has Dolby Digital Plus audio that I encoded at a higher bit rate. Every other supported audio codec on this TV don't have that problem. After reducing the bit rate I have never had such a problem of my TV restarting so I suggest check out the files that you are playing. The latest problem I have with this TV is the hissing noise which only occurs when I'm streaming from either YouTube or Netflix and its been doing my head in for a couple of months now and I just about to called Panasonic up to get a technician to come and see what the problem is, however I stumbled on this thread and thanks to the person that mention that the hissing noise was due to the wifi module which was connected at 5hz on my TV and now I had changed it to 2.4hz this has completely resolve the issues immediately and no more hissing or buzz noise.Thanks to the person that mention it in this thread.Anyway I hope this help in regard to your restart problems, sometimes its something that's an easy fix but its not so obvious.

This happens to me a while back when I first got the TV. After a few days of head scratching I noticed that the reason being that some of the file I play has Dolby Digital Plus audio that I encoded at a higher bit rate. Every other supported audio codec on this TV don't have that problem. After reducing the bit rate I have never had such a problem of my TV restarting so I suggest check out the files that you are playing. The latest problem I have with this TV is the hissing noise which only occurs when I'm streaming from either YouTube or Netflix and its been doing my head in for a couple of months now and I just about to called Panasonic up to get a technician to come and see what the problem is, however I stumbled on this thread and thanks to the person that mention that the hissing noise was due to the wifi module which was connected at 5hz on my TV and now I had changed it to 2.4hz this has completely resolve the issues immediately and no more hissing or buzz noise.Thanks to the person that mention it in this thread.Anyway I hope this help in regard to your restart problems, sometimes its something that's an easy fix but its not so obvious.
Hi Michael

Thanks for your reply.

I know that the TV won't play DTS audio from my external hardrive when I watch a film from it.
It just comes up as "audio format not supported" So I have been taking the DTS audio track out and replacing it with AC-3 ( Dolby digital ) and not EAC-3 ( Dolby digital plus) due to that issue of the higher bit rate. The trouble is it's doing it with my 4k Blu-ray player aswell, which it shouldn't have any issues with that being connected. Bit of head scratching going on to work out why. As I said in my other posts I will call John Lewis if it carries on.
But appreciate your reply Michael and glad you got your own hissing sound issue sorted out now 🙂

It could be an electronic fault, but it would be worth checking your Viera Link settings. Also, try removing EVERY remote control from the room once you've started watching a film. There have been cases where remotes with flat batteries have started doing weird things that have affected the TV, particularly Apple TV remotes.
Hi steverobertsbbc

So I have checked the viera link settings and taken the remotes out of the room, and also reset the TV
but it has still been doing it, for the last 11months it's been fine and nothing has changed, I've checked the hardrive and that is running fine.

Cheers👍

Just noticed what looks like chrominance overshoot, and this is the first time I have seen it with HDR content.

If anyone has Amazon Prime and cares to test, it's the UHD version of Bosch S6 E3, the balcony nightime scene at the 39m40s mark (let it play a minute ahead of this just so you can be sure it has buffered to max quality). The flashing is visible from this point until the end of the episode cutting to the credits.

I first noticed it on Apple TV 4K's Prime app, and just tried the Prime app direct on the TV. The flashing issue is present on both, but on the TV app there's also compression artefacts/blocking on the wall during the camera pan, which is not visible on the Apple TV 4K.

Given this is the first time I've seen the issue in HDR content I am satisified to just chalk it up to the lower bitrate that I assume all the streaming services are still enforcing.

Even so, I'm curious to know if others see the same issue on their FZ TV's... ,🤔

Just noticed what looks like chrominance overshoot, and this is the first time I have seen it with HDR content.

If anyone has Amazon Prime and cares to test, it's the UHD version of Bosch S6 E3, the balcony nightime scene at the 39m40s mark (let it play a minute ahead of this just so you can be sure it has buffered to max quality). The flashing is visible from this point until the end of the episode cutting to the credits.

I first noticed it on Apple TV 4K's Prime app, and just tried the Prime app direct on the TV. The flashing issue is present on both, but on the TV app there's also compression artefacts/blocking on the wall during the camera pan, which is not visible on the Apple TV 4K.

Given this is the first time I've seen the issue in HDR content I am satisified to just chalk it up to the lower bitrate that I assume all the streaming services are still enforcing.

Even so, I'm curious to know if others see the same issue on their FZ TV's... ,🤔
I had a look on my FZ802 and ATV4, I'm afraid I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on either the inbuilt app or the ATV. But then again, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Is chrominance overshoot something that should be immediately obvious or is it something more subtle?

I had a look on my FZ802 and ATV4, I'm afraid I didn't see anything out of the ordinary on either the inbuilt app or the ATV. But then again, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. Is chrominance overshoot something that should be immediately obvious or is it something more subtle?
It should be pretty easy to spot - it's like a white silhouette glow that flickers.

Did you play the UHD version? This is where I saw the issue, I did not try the SDR version so not sure if it applies to that.

Sorry, yes the UHD version. I'll have another look later though.
I've just finished the series. i didn't see any such issues with the other episodes.

I suspect I'm just sensitive to this particular issue more than most as I previously had the C8 and started the snowball rolling with the flashing/overshoot thread.

It's not something I'm worried about with the FZ series, I was just surprised a little to see it in HDR content. That's a first for me spotting it in HDR at all.

Given the talk of lowered bitrates by these streaming companies -which I think is still ongoing - I reckon it's probably just this causing some minor trouble for the TV to process properly.

I've got an FZ802b and been reading about the HDfury 'hack' that allows any HDR10 display, display DV and LLDV content. Has anyone tried this, and is it worth it? Seems most chatter is using this approach with projectors, and not TVs.
I also have a GZ OLED in another room that does DV natively, and connect secveral sources to output to both screens simultaneously. Currently, I can't watch DV on the GZ when also outputing to the FZ and this new hack wold appear to offer me a solution to this problem

Has anyone tried any 4K Blu-rays here that are 60Hz?

I know 60Hz films don't seem to be well received, but I am still interested to see how they playback for myself.

I've got a Gemini Man rental en route which I know is a 60Hz 4K disc. From some reading I think this will only playback correctly on the full-bandwidth HDMI1+2 ports. Does anyone know what happens if your 4K UHD Player is on HDMI 3 or 4? Would it default to 24Hz like most films then, or just not play at all?

I'll be moving the player onto a full bandwidth HDMI port for this film, just to see what all the fuss is about.

I don't own any 60Hz 4K disc so can't answer all your questions but here from the FZ user manual:

For HDMI 1/2
Valid format (4K)
- Mode1: 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 (30p, 25p, 24p), 4:2:0 (60p, 50p)
- Mode2: 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 (30p, 25p, 24p), 4:4:4 / 4:2:2 / 4:2:0 (60p, 50p)

So basically you can choose between Mode 1 and 2 for HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 but for HDMI 3 and HDMI 4 no choice it will be Mode 1.

But as you can see Mode 1 supports 4:2:0 (60p, 50p), which is how 4K blu-ray discs are natively encoded. So if your blu-ray player sends the source signal as is, it will be enough, you don't need the full-bandwidth.
If your player does upsampling (for example 12 bit - 4:4:4) then HDMI 3 or HDMI 4 won't be suitable but I cannot tell you what will happen exactly (flickering screen? Blank screen?). Most likely not default to 24 Hz.

Has anyone tried any 4K Blu-rays here that are 60Hz?

I know 60Hz films don't seem to be well received, but I am still interested to see how they playback for myself.

I've got a Gemini Man rental en route which I know is a 60Hz 4K disc. From some reading I think this will only playback correctly on the full-bandwidth HDMI1+2 ports. Does anyone know what happens if your 4K UHD Player is on HDMI 3 or 4? Would it default to 24Hz like most films then, or just not play at all?

I'll be moving the player onto a full bandwidth HDMI port for this film, just to see what all the fuss is about.
I found a 4k60Hz clip of Gemini Man on via the onboard app. I’m not sure I liked it. Very different to what I’m used to. Almost like IFC max had been applied to the picture, but with none of the artifacts IFC max can introduce. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with the disc, as my player is attached to HDMI 4.

I found a 4k60Hz clip of Gemini Man on via the onboard app. I’m not sure I liked it. Very different to what I’m used to. Almost like IFC max had been applied to the picture, but with none of the artifacts IFC max can introduce. I’ll be interested to hear how you get on with the disc, as my player is attached to HDMI 4.
Deleted reply - that'll touch me for skim reading then replying. I assumed you watched in 60Hz on that port at first glance.

I'll let you know my thoughts. If it's anything like IFC cranked up on a 24Hz film then I anticipate I'll be disliking it.

Deleted reply - that'll touch me for skim reading then replying. I assumed you watched in 60Hz on that port at first glance.

I'll let you know my thoughts. If it's anything like IFC cranked up on a 24Hz film then I anticipate I'll be disliking it.
Sorry, should have made it clear, watched it in 4k60 on the onboard YouTube app.

Sorry, should have made it clear, watched it in 4k60 on the onboard YouTube app.
I've stuck the final season of Game of Thrones 4K down for rental too. I'm getting too impatient waiting for the 4K boxset. I watched it all in shitty quality on Now TV, then the S1 4K discs, so just going to reluctantly dive straight into the final season next. Intrigued to see how that Long Night, basically pitch black episode plays out on 4K disc combined with the Panny OLED. NowTV was the worst I've ever seen it for that.

I've stuck the final season of Game of Thrones 4K down for rental too. I'm getting too impatient waiting for the 4K boxset. I watched it all in sh*tty quality on Now TV, then the S1 4K discs, so just going to reluctantly dive straight into the final season next. Intrigued to see how that Long Night, basically pitch black episode plays out on 4K disc combined with the Panny OLED. NowTV was the worst I've ever seen it for that.
I didn’t realise that other GoT seasons were available in 4k. I’ve got the Blu-Ray and The Long Night looked great, so 4k should be a treat.

Well, after further research, I think that what I said is most likely wrong. As not explicitly specified by Panasonic in the user manual, the given mode 1 and 2 restrictions are probably for 8 bit SDR and not 10 bit HDR10 or 12 bit Dolby Vision which require additionnal bandwidth.

4K, 24 Hz, 10 bit, 4:2:0 (native HDR10 disc encoding) requires 8.91 Gbps
4K, 24 Hz, 12 bit, 4:4:4 (player upsampling) requires 13.37 Gbps
4K, 60 Hz, 10 bit, 4:2:0 (native HDR10 disc encoding) requires 11.14 Gbps
4K, 60 Hz, 12 bit, 4:4:4 (player upsampling) requires 24.06 Gbps

Obviously the latter is not possible on this TV, even with Mode 2, it would require HDMI 2.1.
For the others I don't know, it depends on the Mode 1 bandwidth. If it's only 9 Gbps instead of 18 Gbps, then indeed maybe it won't work with HDMI 3 or 4.

Sources: https://i2.wp.com/semiengineering.c...8/04/hdmi-2.1-fig-1-resolution-tabe.jpg?ssl=1 & HDMI Data Rates for 4K HDR

I don't own any 60Hz 4K disc so can't answer all your questions but here from the FZ user manual:

So basically you can choose between Mode 1 and 2 for HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 but for HDMI 3 and HDMI 4 no choice it will be Mode 1.

But as you can see Mode 1 supports 4:2:0 (60p, 50p), which is how 4K blu-ray discs are natively encoded. So if your blu-ray player sends the source signal as is, it will be enough, you don't need the full-bandwidth.
If your player does upsampling (for example 12 bit - 4:4:4) then HDMI 3 or HDMI 4 won't be suitable but I cannot tell you what will happen exactly (flickering screen? Blank screen?). Most likely not default to 24 Hz.
Interesting. I use the Panasonic UB420 player. I can see on the info button that discs seem to be 4:2:0, and I had noticed the HDMI output labeled as 4:4:4 when I previously had it on HDMI1. I'm not sure what difference that makes if the native content is 4:2:0 anyway?

I've had the UB420 on HDMI3 for a while now, I've not really looked at the info screen recently though. I just assumed the main loss would be 60Hz. If it plays fine at 60Hz on HDMI3 and I am not sacrificing or missing any data from the source disc then that's perfect for me.

Currently I have my recently purchased Apple TV 4K on HDMI1. I have a Yamaha YSP2700 soundbar on HDMI2 with Xbox/PS4/UB420 Audio direct to soundbar, and I just permanently leave Game mode engaged for this. And for HDMI3 I have the UB420 HDMI Video connected for sake of any HDR10+ discs.

HDMI4 is pretty much vancant, I hook up the old PS3 or 360 ocassionally. Recently mopped up all trophies on The Last of Us PS3 (I milked the PS4 Remaster dry too), just to serve as a more recent refresher for The Last of Is Part II releasing next month.

Well, after further research, I think that what I said is most likely wrong. As not explicitly specified by Panasonic in the user manual, the given mode 1 and 2 restrictions are probably for 8 bit SDR and not 10 bit HDR10 or 12 bit Dolby Vision which require additionnal bandwidth.

4K, 24 Hz, 10 bit, 4:2:0 (native HDR10 disc encoding) requires 8.91 Gbps
4K, 24 Hz, 12 bit, 4:4:4 (player upsampling) requires 13.37 Gbps
4K, 60 Hz, 10 bit, 4:2:0 (native HDR10 disc encoding) requires 11.14 Gbps
4K, 60 Hz, 12 bit, 4:4:4 (player upsampling) requires 24.06 Gbps

Obviously the latter is not possible on this TV, even with Mode 2, it would require HDMI 2.1.
For the others I don't know, it depends on the Mode 1 bandwidth. If it's only 9 Gbps instead of 18 Gbps, then indeed maybe it won't work with HDMI 3 or 4.

Sources: https://i2.wp.com/semiengineering.c...8/04/hdmi-2.1-fig-1-resolution-tabe.jpg?ssl=1 & HDMI Data Rates for 4K HDR
Ah, I guess I'll just take a minute to experiment then when the Gemini Man disc arrives. I'll leave it on HDMI3 for now just to see what happens with playback and have a nose at the info screen.

Granted it's a one-off sort of fad I think this 60Hz thing, so for this rare occassion I'll probably just switch it to HDMI1 when I sit down for the evening to check it out - just so I know I'm definitely not missing anything.

I didn’t realise that other GoT seasons were available in 4k. I’ve got the Blu-Ray and The Long Night looked great, so 4k should be a treat.
They're not available. That's what I was trying to say - I got fed up waiting for them to release, so I've just given up waiting for the 4K set now.

I have only seen the show in its entirety on Sky's Now TV streaming service. The last season was very poor quality in particular with the dark scenes.

Since that Now TV viewing I have watched the 4K Season 1 discs, and I 'was' waiting for the remaining seasons to release. But that's taking forever so I am giving up, and just going to dive straight into the final season, which is on 4K disc already.

It's a slightly bizarre situation really to only have the first and last season of a show with 4K discs available. I was rather keen to re-watch the whole series in 4K HDR. Meh lol

That's correct - you'll get 60Hz but only in SDR.

Since that Now TV viewing I have watched the 4K Season 1 discs, and I 'was' waiting for the remaining seasons to release. But that's taking forever so I am giving up, and just going to dive straight into the final season, which is on 4K disc already.
I've got the 4K of the final season, it's pretty good, at least on episode three you can see what's going on. I don't see the point of double dipping the remaining seasons to 4K especially with the later seasons having an Atmos soundtrack on the blu rays. One of the best blu rays I've seen on the FZ to be honest, looks great.

I've got the 4K of the final season, it's pretty good, at least on episode three you can see what's going on. I don't see the point of double dipping the remaining seasons to 4K especially with the later seasons having an Atmos soundtrack on the blu rays. One of the best blu rays I've seen on the FZ to be honest, looks great.
It's not like I would be double-dipping as I don't own them. I did buy S1 on 4K - watched that and then sold it on as I was anticipating a complete 4K boxset to release alongside the final.

I'm just renting from cinemaparaidiso at the moment. You've given me some food for thought. I know standard Blu-ray is still a big step-up from NowTV, and given I got to enjoy S1 4K, I think I'll probably be better off just making do with the regular Blu-ray from S2 onwards, and finally switch to a rental of the final season to finish it off in 4K HDR.

I'm still pessimistic that my luck will see the 4K set get confirmed after l finish binging the Blu-ray, but balls to it, I can't wait around forever.

As keen as I am to see the final season with HDR on the OLED, it mays well wait while I burn through the earlier Blu-ray seasons. At least this way I'll get to finally see the complete show in its best possible quality - even if it might a little jarring going from HDR to SDR and HDR again.

It's not like I would be double-dipping as I don't own them. I did buy S1 on 4K - watched that and then sold it on as I was anticipating a complete 4K boxset to release alongside the final.

I'm just renting from cinemaparaidiso at the moment. You've given me some food for thought. I know standard Blu-ray is still a big step-up from NowTV, and given I got to enjoy S1 4K, I think I'll probably be better off just making do with the regular Blu-ray from S2 onwards, and finally switch to a rental of the final season to finish it off in 4K HDR.

I'm still pessimistic that my luck will see the 4K set get confirmed after l finish binging the Blu-ray, but balls to it, I can't wait around forever.

As keen as I am to see the final season with HDR on the OLED, it mays well wait while I burn through the earlier Blu-ray seasons. At least this way I'll get to finally see the complete show in its best possible quality - even if it might a little jarring going from HDR to SDR and HDR again.
I bought them as they came out so built up the first all the seasons prior to buying the FZ. Played the first season as with most of it set in King's Landing it was certainly a colourful presentation and looks tremendous on the FZ. The Atmos discs have some terrific sound effects on them and well worth buying.

I bought them as they came out so built up the first all the seasons prior to buying the FZ. Played the first season as with most of it set in King's Landing it was certainly a colourful presentation and looks tremendous on the FZ. The Atmos discs have some terrific sound effects on them and well worth buying.
I've not gone for an Atmos setup yet myself. I find there's too much choice - I like cheap, but then I don't like to compromise too much either - so I end up with nowt lol

When I got my FZ802 I decided to abandon my aging 1080p Onkyo 5.1 receiver and I settled on the Yamaha YSP2700 soundbar. I got it for £300 and I am relatively happy with it. It obviously can't give convincing rear surround but it does a good job of spreading the sound around in front and to the sides.

I still do have a sneaky peak at the Atmos offerings from time to time. My main concern is with Atmos soundbars. I worry that the soundbar, being below the TV, that it might simply be too low to bounce the upfiring sound off the ceiling, thus failing to give that sense of height. I think that's one advantage that the GZ2000 has in that the upfiring speakers are much higher.

If I wanted to outperform the YSP2700, I suspect it'd be more affordable to go back to the receiver route with dedicated speakers. I know the Samsung Atmos bars will probably be good with the rear upfiring speakers, but I'm just not prepared to spend that much right now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom