Panasonic FZ series (802 & 952) OLED Owners Thread

Anyone got a box and packaging for a 65" FZ802 that they no longer require? I'm moving and I didn't keep mine. I have got some other packaging from the Panasonic shop so I can manage but it doesn't fit perfectly. Don't mind paying a few quid if someone can help
Cheers
Brian

HDMI 2.0 is capable of 120hz at lower resolutions. I'm no technician, but since the FZ is the same panel as the LG C8 which does support 120hz, it shouldn't require a HW update unless Panasonic did something to purposefully restrict it in their processing HW.
It's not the panel per se, it's how Panasonic have configured the software to drive it. The new standards for HDMI 2.1 will no doubt be touted as a reason for upgrading the to the new releases for 2021. The FZ doesn't have DV nor Atmos yet a year later the new TV's have both onboard. If Panasonic updated TVs everytime something new came along they simply wouldn't sell the newer versions.

Neither can they be held to ransom by owners as you and I bought the FZ knowing of it's deficiencies at the time. So no reason financially or legal for them to update the FZ.

It's not the panel per se, it's how Panasonic have configured the software to drive it. The new standards for HDMI 2.1 will no doubt be touted as a reason for upgrading the to the new releases for 2021. The FZ doesn't have DV nor Atmos yet a year later the new TV's have both onboard. If Panasonic updated TVs everytime something new came along they simply wouldn't sell the newer versions.

Neither can they be held to ransom by owners as you and I bought the FZ knowing of it's deficiencies at the time. So no reason financially or legal for them to update the FZ.
Who is holding Panasonic to ransom? I was replying to a post asking if they would provide an update to support 1080@120. Yes they probably could via a FW update if they wanted to. Will they? No.

That's not to say we should make excuses for them, though. I think Samsung and LG offer better support for older TVs, and considering the cost and investment involved here, it's not unreasonable to want Panasonic to do better.

If anyone thinks Panasonic do offer good support for older TVs I'd love to hear the argument.

Who is holding Panasonic to ransom? I was replying to a post asking if they would provide an update to support 1080@120. Yes they probably could via a FW update if they wanted to. Will they? No.

That's not to say we should make excuses for them, though. I think Samsung and LG offer better support for older TVs, and considering the cost and investment involved here, it's not unreasonable to want Panasonic to do better.

If anyone thinks Panasonic do offer good support for older TVs I'd love to hear the argument.
I'm not defending Panasonic because this argument about upgrades goes right through from TVs, players and receivers. If you buy a 2019 model car that has 190 bhp and a year later the 2020 model has the engine uprated to 200 bhp would you go back to the garage and expect them to uprate your 2019 model.

Manufacturers have no obligation to upgrade their TVs past anything that was advertised when you bought the unit. They do have an obligation to keep updating fixes for problems and maintaining the apps and Pansonic are pretty poor at this. I've an ten year set in the bedroom that has about four apps left still running on it and it's been like that for several years.

If you think Pansonic are poor try being a Pioneer owner. An advertised firmware upgrade for HDR10+ was promised on the box and on line of their LX500/800 UD players yet it is still to materialise almost two years later.

I'm happy with my FZ, I only miss Atmos to be honest and it's unlikely I'll change it until the five year warranty runs out and then I'll more than likely buy another Panny.

I'm also very happy with my FZ802. Sure, I am disappointed that there's no HDMI 2.0 option for 120fps at 1440p and below.

I did have the LG C8 previously which does support this, but I just wasn't satisfied with the picture quality on streaming content. Yes, I am talking about the annoying chrominace overshoot/white flashing blocks again. I enjoy gaming and watching major streamed apps like Prime, Netflix, BBC, etc.

The Panasonic ticks most of these boxes to my satisfaction, and while I would love 2.1 features of 4K@120, I would have been content with 1440p@120, given that consoles will likely render games at a lower resolution to hit such a high framerate.

It is what it is, I still wouldn't part with my TV for any other brand - I watch so much streamed content, much of it low bitrate (i.e. Prime 1080p) that I really require consistency with picture quality. This TV will do me fine for the coming years, I'll likely look into another Panasonic when they fully support HDMI 2.1. Hopefully that will be with their 2021 models, and I can equally find a similar bargain a year or two after launch.

My TV just developed a vertical line whilst watching TV I did a switch off and orange cycle and a power down
Came back a thicker band as picture its currently doing a major nel maintenance

Is it had it? and guess a call to JL as its under extended warranty

Next question. If I have to swap it out what's the latest model that's equivalent please?
Would it be this one?

Thanks ahead of your replies 2 and half years old

Attachments

• DSC_3940.JPG
    DSC_3940.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
My TV just developed a vertical line whilst watching TV I did a switch off and orange cycle and a power down
Came back a thicker band as picture its currently doing a major nel maintenance

Is it had it? and guess a call to JL as its under extended warranty

Next question. If I have to swap it out what's the latest model that's equivalent please?
Would it be this one?

Thanks ahead of your replies 2 and half years old
They'll likely suggest some troubleshooting before going down a repair or replacement route.

I can see from your photo that you are on a Sky TV HDMI input. Is the issue still present for the internal apps like Netflix, Prime, etc. Does it also apply to the TV's other HDMI inputs?

They'll likely suggest some troubleshooting before going down a repair or replacement route.

I can see from your photo that you are on a Sky TV HDMI input. Is the issue still present for the internal apps like Netflix, Prime, etc. Does it also apply to the TV's other HDMI inputs?

Thanks
It's doing a big panel maintenance at mo
It was visible on the menus, when it switches on you see the line come down the screen thinner on the black screen then if you switch sky on it is wider
Funny though it first started as a thin line switched tv off then after the fast cycle came back wider so hopefully major one will get rid of it will be same or worse

Will try other inputs etc after it has done so

Report back thanks

Last edited:
Thanks
It's doing a big panel maintenance at mo
It was visible on the menus

Will try other inputs etc after it has done so

Report back thanks
Check for a firmware update too. I was having some strange fault where my TV would display weird lines, I mentioned it here multiple times before. However, since a firmware update a few months ago that issue has yet to resurface.

I'm not suggesting our issues are related, but just make sure you have the latest firmware installed. You're already doing the big panel maintenance, so see how it goes from there. If the issue is still present on menus and internal apps after that then you will have to contact JL.

Keep us posted how this pans out, I'd like to know how John Lewis handle this for you should your issue remain.

I believe the decision is there's with whether they want to pursue a repair or TV replacement. Given covid times and social distancing, they might reluctantly lean towards a replacement.

In replacement terms, assuming they can't source any 2018 FZ stock, they may look for the nearest 2019 equivilant which would be the GZ950. If they have no stock for those then you'd be looking at the HZ range, I believe they have a 950 and 1000 model, but I am not privvy to what the differences are and how these compare to the FZ.

If you got a cracking deal on your FZ like me, then my main concern would be that they might not offer a replacement due to a potentially massive price difference, that's if they don't have any 2018/19 stock. In that case they'd have to resolve the matter with either a repair or refund option.

Hi thanks for that
Yep it's finished and it's still there on all inputs sadly

Yes had a good deal on TV at £1299 but not adverse to paying the difference for a HZ1000

So I guess it's a call in the morning to JL, will update as it goes along

Hi thanks for that
Yep it's finished and it's still there on all inputs sadly

Yes had a good deal on TV at £1299 but not adverse to paying the difference for a HZ1000

So I guess it's a call in the morning to JL, will update as it goes along
I'm sure they'll resolve it to your satisfaction.

If you haven't already, following a power down I'd go one step further and unplug it too. It probably won't do anything, but the old cut power for a short while has been known to do the trick on some other devices.

Good luck.

Thanks will give it a go but usuallypower down every night but will try and also see if overnight sorts it off too

Picture through internal prime app the width is 6cm accross

Firmware is fully updated to 3.108 hrs if I'm reading it properly and I think its been on for 4936

Attachments

• DSC_3943.JPG
    DSC_3943.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_3956.JPG
    DSC_3956.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
So overnight power down made no difference
I'll ring them later when they open but also will ping them an email with pictures etc

Not sure to continue to use the TV incase the bar causes any burn in retention issues if it gets fixed

Attachments

• DSC_3941.JPG
    DSC_3941.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
OK spoke to JL they are sending a technician out on Tuesday 27th but due to covid won't be repaired in house, so will be taken away of which it will be packed safely will be up to 28days but in practice is quicker

Requested a loan tv and I guess have to wait and see will keep posting

Have to say person I spoke to was really nice and helpful, and I think Tuesday is fast for getting somebody out.

Last edited:
So overnight power down made no difference
I'll ring them later when they open but also will ping them an email with pictures etc

Not sure to continue to use the TV incase the bar causes any burn in retention issues if it gets fixed
That's a hardware failure in the panel drive electronics and will almost certainly require a new panel, so I wouldn't be too worried about burning that one!

That's a hardware failure in the panel drive electronics and will almost certainly require a new panel, so I wouldn't be too worried about burning that one!
Thank you

Any idea what has caused it or just failed unlucky

Will the panels be available still to fix or do you think it will be a choose a replacement?

If so thinking of the HZ1000 is that a good swap for the FZ?

Last edited:
Thank you

Any idea what has caused it or just failed unlucky

Will the panels be available still to fix or do you think it will be a choose a replacement?

If so thinking of the HZ1000 is that a good swap for the FZ?

It is if you have a home cinema set-up for the sounds side of things.
And providing you get a decent panel ;)

It is if you have a home cinema set-up for the sounds side of things.
And providing you get a decent panel ;)
Hi yeah thanks guess the panel lottery looms again, the FZ was perfect no banding etc, see if they put new panel on it first but need to be prepared in case guessing a GZ panel wouldn't work on a FZ?

There's no choice I guess in the replacement for the FZ but the HZ1000 or HZ1500 though am I right 1500 that has the extra speakers only difference

Has the HZ series got issues with panels then?
Not sure if a GZ950 are still available through JL

With my only other choice being the LG 55cx though looks like it doesn't handle near blacks as well as the HZ

Not sure what would be the best to go for between

HZ1000
HZ1500
Or the LG CX

Any advice out there

Last edited:
Hi yeah thanks guess the panel lottery looms again, the FZ was perfect no banding etc, see if they put new panel on it first but need to be prepared in case guessing a GZ panel wouldn't work on a FZ?

There's no choice I guess in the replacement for the FZ but the HZ1000 or HZ1500 though am I right 1500 that has the extra speakers only difference

Has the HZ series got issues with panels then?
Not sure if a GZ950 are still available through JL

With my only other choice being the LG 55cx though looks like it doesn't handle near blacks as well as the HZ

Not sure what would be the best to go for between

HZ1000
HZ1500
Or the LG CX

Any advice out there
The CX is worth consideration if you are big into games, that aside Panasonic will be the safe bet for all other aspects.

So tech coming today

Turned tv off and it's done a soft cycle turned it on vertical bar showing but changed to a faded grey dark

My worry now is they'll class it as screen retention
Good thing I got pictures of it before see what it looks like now before and after

What's going on?

Attachments

• DSC_3941.JPG
    DSC_3941.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_3984.JPG
    DSC_3984.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Hi all, and Im sure this question has been answered on here but I'm struggling to find and answer for it. I currently have a Sky Q box connected directly to HDMI 1 on the FZ, using the arc output to my slightly older Pioneer amp as it won't allow 4K video through the amp. The issues is I can't get anything other than stereo audio to come through with out making an awful pulsing sound. Now is this a issue with the TV or do I need to upgrade the amp which the wife wouldn't like.

Hi all, and Im sure this question has been answered on here but I'm struggling to find and answer for it. I currently have a Sky Q box connected directly to HDMI 1 on the FZ, using the arc output to my slightly older Pioneer amp as it won't allow 4K video through the amp. The issues is I can't get anything other than stereo audio to come through with out making an awful pulsing sound. Now is this a issue with the TV or do I need to upgrade the amp which the wife wouldn't like.
Under the sound settings have you set the HDMI to bitstream, you find that by scrolling down the sound settings. If you don't have bitstream selected then all you will get will be PCM stereo.

OK so I've done a full panel maintenance and it has totally gone

Sooooo confused

I'm still letting tech come to show him pictures etc abd to make sure the case stays open

If this is a hardware fault why has it gone away? After the few days and panel maintenance it's gone through didn't!

Attachments

• DSC_3986.JPG
    DSC_3986.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 56
OK so I've done a full panel maintenance and it has totally gone

Sooooo confused

I'm still letting tech come to show him pictures etc abd to make sure the case stays open

If this is a hardware fault why has it gone away? After the few days and panel maintenance it's gone through didn't!
On one hand, it's great that it's gone. But on the other hand, you'll have your heart in your mouth every time you sit in front of the telly. When is the engineer due to visit? I wouldn't rush to cancel him as that would be tempting fate but wait say, until the day before they're due. If all is well, cancel, but make sure you send an email to the retailer including the 'before' and 'after' pictures and ask they acknowledge the issue exists. That way, if it happens again further down the line, you'll be able to show it's an intermittent fault that they are aware of. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi Gibbsy
I have tried to select bitstream as per instruction manual but all I get is a odd pulsing sound and nothing else. If I connect the sky q box directly to the amp then no issue with sound but can't get any 4k picture as the amp doesn't allow it so have 1080P. Any suggestion on how to resolve this?

Under the sound settings have you set the HDMI to bitstream, you find that by scrolling down the sound settings. If you don't have bitstream selected then all you will get will be PCM stereo.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom