Panasonic FZ802 (55FZ802) Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice review. Good to see they seem to have ironed out a few of the niggles from last years EZ in terms of black crush in particular. Really an iterative update rather than a leap forward, I think we are at the point where the oled technology has leveled out.

Seeing as you have a good relationship with Panasonic, Could you ask when they are releasing the HDR10+ for last years models which they have been promising for some time.....

Don’t understand the lack of DolbyVision? Is it just perverse?

Otherwise this seems to be the best out of the box picture quality around.

This is the one I want to buy, but the lack of DV is putting me off, especially as I want to watch a lot of Netflix...

I'm still a little flummoxed by the emphasis on DV. Have the people bemoaning its exclusion by Panasonic actually seen 'HDR' material side by side with DV material? There's barely any difference...(!)

I dunno, each to their own obviously. I just can't understand writing a great tv off due to such a minor detail.

I've owned this exact TV for three months now and I can confirm that the picture quality is stunning. It's at its very best when running 4K HDR blu rays, but Netflix and Amazon look beautiful too. 1080p also takes me by surprise sometimes, looking clearer and more colourful than on my previous GT60 Plasma. I have not once wondered about DV and if I'm possibly missing out on something.

You won't be disappointed if you go for this set.

My major streaming source is the ATV 4k - which has Dolby Vision for iTunes and Netflix. So lack of DV for me is a major issue and I would rather have a TV with DV than without. Whether it makes a difference hard to tell as I haven't done exhaustive reviews of this, but there is quite an active thread of ATV 4k DV -> HDR 10 issues which I would rather avoid - George

It makes no sense to me that Panasonic boast about their close ties to Hollywood but no Dolby Vision available, it's not a deal breaker for me personally but it's at odds with their company message

Chat me up Phil or anyone else,

“Of course, the latest HCX image processor cannot be ignored, with new dynamic 3D lookup-tables (LUTs) that can be changed scene by scene if required to further enhance the accurate images on offer”

What exactly is this 3D lookup table - is it something that can be switched on or off in the options as part of the processing engine or just something that’s always switched on to make the image better?

Is it just me or does it seem like all the oled reviews from major manufacturers are pretty similar? I know it's cos LG make the panels but, other than some image processing, OS and out of the box accuracy, there isn't a lot between them it seems.
With that in mind, the other manufacturers need to bring down their prices to compete with LG. I can't see any reason to choose anyone other than them, save for price...

Prices already are down to £1800. Seems an excellent buy at that price

Is it just me or does it seem like all the oled reviews from major manufacturers are pretty similar? I know it's cos LG make the panels but, other than some image processing, OS and out of the box accuracy, there isn't a lot between them it seems.
With that in mind, the other manufacturers need to bring down their prices to compete with LG. I can't see any reason to choose anyone other than them, save for price...

I realise I have bought a current LG panel with an older processor - but the B8 I have is spectacular....and imo the 65" I got for £2000 is much more value for money than this (or other similar) offerings at 55" with the current processor. This still looks way overpriced to me

I completely concur with you on that - and if anyone has a preference to the OS (depending on how much you use the tv 's functionality , I just use it as a monitor mainly) may justify a different choice completely validly.

One thing I would love Phil (or the team to comment on) is whether there is a huge difference in pq / performance lets say between this tv and the LG when actually playing a DV source despite the lack of support ? This is the bit Im not sure about, I totally respect his expertise but I still think its a bit of a non-issue (the same 4k films will play, and with the LUT's etc in theory it should look about the same , allowing for the difference the processor itself wants to do)?

Obviously this is still an ongoing format, and just because 10-20 DV films play now, different DV films potentially may not play in the future (where they would on fully supported DV TV's)

Or are the LUT's not able to produce accurately what a DV capable tv is able to (which would surely be a case of the dog walking the owner?)

I picked this up on black Friday in my local Harvey Norman shop in Cork (Rep Ireland) for €1600 (around £1440) with a 6 year warranty. Getting delivered tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing it in action. Price now back up to €2,000.

You pretty much answered your own question. OLEDS's are all very similar and the differences between them are smaller features and image processing so its up to you to decide which one suits you the most. For example when it comes to colours I find Panasonic to be the best but its not a huge difference or anything. I think a lot of it also depends on the price you can get one for too.

I spent a long time looking at LG and Sony OLEDs, but for me the Panasonic just looked better - more accurate and just "right". I think this is pretty subjective though.

In the AVF review of the 952 they felt that Panasonic processing with HDR10 was still as good as if not better than the C8's DV, not sure if Phil still feels that. Either way, for me personally, the Panasonic processing does make up for the lack of DV and I haven't missed it in any material way.

I had an LG65E7 for a month and found the motion not good at all, whatever I did to the settings. Did my research and testing on the Panasonic 65FZ802 and am totally happy with it replacing our THX calibrated Pioneer Kuro LX5090. The natural colours are superb and that's without calibration, only me tweaking a few settings in the 'Professional 2' picture setting. The motion on the Panny is so much better to me and my wife compared to the LG. I might get it calibrated next year...

I’ve had this tv for 3 months, and is a massive step up to my old pdp VT. definitely recommend this!

Looking to buy the 65” version of this to replace my 65VT50 plasma in the very near future however one part of your review has me a little confused. Initially near the beginning of the review you state...

It uses the same OLED panel, HCX processor and operating system as the previously reviewed TX-65FZ952 and offers roughly the same picture quality, but without the ‘Dynamic Blade’ speaker bar.

But then near the end you state that the only difference is the soundbar? Which is it? Roughly the same (in which case what are the differences and which is better?) or is the image quality the same?

Whichever I get I’ll be getting it calibrated but if there is a difference then I’ll also pay the extra for the 952 if that’s the better one.

Looking to buy the 65” version of this to replace my 65VT50 plasma in the very near future however one part of your review has me a little confused. Initially near the beginning of the review you state...

It uses the same OLED panel, HCX processor and operating system as the previously reviewed TX-65FZ952 and offers roughly the same picture quality, but without the ‘Dynamic Blade’ speaker bar.

But then near the end you state that the only difference is the soundbar? Which is it? Roughly the same (in which case what are the differences and which is better?) or is the image quality the same?

Whichever I get I’ll be getting it calibrated but if there is a difference then I’ll also pay the extra for the 952 if that’s the better one.
Picture qaulity is identical to the 952, and the only difference is the blade speaker.

Picture qaulity is identical to the 952, and the only difference is the blade speaker.

Cheers. That’s what I’d heard previously but just wanted to make sure. 65FZ802 it is then...just keeping my fingers crossed for a slight price drop after Christmas now.

You’ll be impressed with the inky blacks, it blinds my calibrated VT in all picture areas which is now in our bedroom!

Yup. This has replaced my old Pioneer Plasma too.

Tis a big step up and currently having a great time going through my Blu-Ray collection. Some of the discs look truly fantastic. Still got to upgrade to 4K discs for the icing on the cake.

Only watch in the evenings so i’ve just left it on THX Cinema. Seems a bit dim when you scroll through the other garish settings but once sat down watching a movie, everything looks so natural.

Veey happy with my £1400 purchase :thumbsup:

Hi so if I had this tv and I decide to watch 4K Netflix, this doesn’t have DV so it’ll play in HDR and vice versa if I had the LG C8?
Is that right?

Hi so if I had this tv and I decide to watch 4K Netflix, this doesn’t have DV so it’ll play in HDR and vice versa if I had the LG C8?
Is that right?

Yes. But there’s not a lot of hdr/DV content on Netflix right now. And you’ll never miss out on a show regardless of which you choose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom