Panasonic GX800 Owners Thread

Been following this thread but lost track. Have the lip-sync and audio crackling problems been sorted yet?. And are there any other major issues still evident with general use?.

Been following this thread but lost track. Have the lip-sync and audio crackling problems been sorted yet?. And are there any other major issues still evident with general use?.

Haven't had any audio crackling since the last software update. Lip-sync never been a problem for me. I send audio to my (non-Dolby Atmos) amp from Freeview and the in-built apps via optical. The audio output from my 4K Blu-Ray Player is sent directly to my amp via a dedicated audio HDMI output on the player. It's always been perfectly in sync with the image sent directly to the TV via the other HDMI output. On the odd occasion I play video files that have been badly encoded with out of sync sound I can adjust the delay on my amp.

Do you think it is right to keep the NORMAL mode or turn on the NATIVE one? I always talk about the famous TRUE CINEMA preset.

Not sure quite what you mean by NATIVE. However, one picture mode isn't a 'one size fits all'. CINEMA or TRUE CINEMA don't seem to work that well with Freeview, so I use a tweaked NORMAL; for DVD/BR playback I use CINEMA and for streaming services TRUE CINEMA. Dolby Vision modes need some work too, with DV Dark working best for me.

Clem

True Cinema
Backlight 65
Contrast 90
Brightness -3
Colour 50
Tint 0
Sharpness 30
Colour Temp Warm 2
Adaptive Backlight Min
Ambient Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg Reduction Off
Resolution Remaster Off
Dynamic Range Off
Intelligent Frame Min
Clear Motion Off

Advanced
Contract Control Auto
Colour Gamut Native
Colour Management
R Hue +15
R Sat -15
R Lum -50
G Hue 0
G Sat -25
G Lum -25
B Hue -40
B Sat +50
B Lum -25
More Detailed Adj
M Sat -5

Gamma 2.4
More Detailed Adjustment
2.5 -50
20 -3
40 -10
50 -10
100 -10

These are the settings found on page 11, so far it was obscure to me.
I tried it obviously by changing a little something:
Backlight 20 (Original version)
Contract Control OFF
Color Gamut Natural

do you think I did well?

Calculate that I watch evening movies .. in dark mode XD

Personal choice. There’s no right or wrong here. All of the pundits will advocate turning off all picture processing and so forth, and it’s a laudable aim, but ultimately you’re the person watching the TV, not us. If, for example, enabling MPEG noise reduction results in the picture looking better to your eyes, then whatever the ‘experts’ say doesn’t matter.

Clem

I thought I would interject all this technical picture chat with a simple remote control question. Does anyone else keep accidentally pressing the Home button when meaning to press the up arrow? It's just too close when you are navigating through streaming services without looking.

I think the remote is badly designed in general. Apps button is tiny and nowhere near where you might expect, as is the Menu button, which should swap with Option. I've found that if you use particular apps the most (other than Netflix), best to pin to Home and then only two easy presses away.

Otherwise, after ten days of use, I am pretty happy with my new, shiny-screened 50GX820. Not blown away by Netflix UHD streaming, though I think Dolby Vision does improve the image, judging by The Irishman compared to vanilla UHD on same channel. That said, Best looking 4k I've streamed so far has definitely been Seven Worlds, One Planet on BBC iPlayer, which shows incredible detail.

Oddly, UHD nature shows made by BBC streamed on Netflix aren't as sharp. Anyone know why?

Took a number of video clips on a memory stick to evaluate the 40" version today in C&M. Left it in 'standard mode, and have to say it passed my expectations on all fronts....upscaling (from SD), motion and contrast/blacks. Odd thing was, the live feed they had running (morning thing with Philip Schofield), made a guest look like he was wearing lipstick, yet the clips I took looked fine. The other tricky point was viewing angles. I've tried to calculate this at home (protractor and string lol), but I doubt I could be really sure until the tv is in situ (one chair measures about 25deg off-centre).

I had similar issues linking my soundbar (Sony htxf9000) to Tv (Sony xd80) . In the end I bought a 4K HDMI splitter from amazon - put everything through the splitter (PS4, Apple TV, sky etc) - splitter to soundbar and then soundbar to Tv . This resolved sync issues . I know you said you don’t want to connect the PS4 via the soundbar but am assuming this may be due to limited connectivity options , which the HDMI splitter will resolve.
let me know your thoughts as I have just received the gx800 and waiting for it to be installed on the wall 👍🏼😀 and need to get my wiring set up correct as will be putting all the wires through the wall !!!!!
I have the Sony soundbar, have it set up in Bluetooth, own a Panasonic 820 and a PS4, Xbox and I hear all of it plus Netflix and Amazon from my fire cube, all is linked by Bluetooth and zero issues of lip sync or any issues. And thanks to the Cube when I tell Alexa to turn on my TV it automatically turn on the TV AND the soundbar

Hi Guys, How does this TV handle sports like football and golf. My current TV (old LG 55UF850V) suffers terribly from uniformity issues, dirty screen effect and blurring. The demo in Currys looked good but I would like to know from those that own the TV. I know this TV only has a 60hz panel so this might affect things. I am keen on getting this TV in the 65" model but need to know that it handles sports well. Any help would be much appreciated - Cheers

Btw does this tv support gamemode and hdr same time, so i can play hdr games without huge lag ?
And is it problem to watch tv little lower that eyes center of the screen ?
I'm thinking to get 40" variant to pc&console use.

Hi All, I recently ordered the 50” version of this TV for £579.99, which was comparable in terms of price (found a £20 off promo code) and went with Richer Sounds as they do a 6 year guarantee. This is the first TV I’ve bought in 9 years and my current one is only a 32”, so I’m definitely a novice when it comes to TVs! (and also why I thought the 58” would be too big a jump in terms of size)

I was very close to getting an OLED during Black Sunday (either Philips 55OLED754 which was £980 or the LG 55B9PLA which was £1099, so quite decent prices and now have gone up) but decided against because wasn’t sure I could justify the extra £300-£400, was worried about stories of burn in I’d read with OLEDs and wasn’t sure I’d notice a big difference between 4K and OLED not being an expert and going from my current TV.

I’m not a gamer, just an occasional TV viewer (Sky, Netflix and Prime mostly) and don’t have BluRay player either.

What I’m looking for (and apologies for the long explanation) is some validation from the experts on this thread that given my situation, as an occasional viewer, that I made the right choice with this Panasonic and will be ideal for what I need it for (and that I shouldn’t have got an OLED when I had the chance! 😀), thanks.

I went for my 800 as a replacement for a 10y old Sony HD TV, but have now consigned the Pannie to bedroom duty. I just can’t get on with it, and am now using an LG, which was my second choice. OLED burn in is still an issue, which is why I didn’t go that route. However, the price you paid (I paid £710 only a few months ago) is I think its price point. Although the TV does have a number of good points, for me there are just too many negatives — insufficient HDMI inputs, no NowTV app., no Freesat, and the fact that a the Freeview Play not working issue has still not been resolved, months after it was reported to Panasonic. OK, I was aware of some of its limitations but they only come home to roost after a while.

For your usage, you should be fine, but at the end of the day, do give it a thorough going over to make sure it does work for you. If it doesn’t, get it back to the retailer within the return window and pick something else.

Clem

I went for my 800 as a replacement for a 10y old Sony HD TV, but have now consigned the Pannie to bedroom duty. I just can’t get on with it, and am now using an LG, which was my second choice. OLED burn in is still an issue, which is why I didn’t go that route. However, the price you paid (I paid £710 only a few months ago) is I think its price point. Although the TV does have a number of good points, for me there are just too many negatives — insufficient HDMI inputs, no NowTV app., no Freesat, and the fact that a the Freeview Play not working issue has still not been resolved, months after it was reported to Panasonic. OK, I was aware of some of its limitations but they only come home to roost after a while.

For your usage, you should be fine, but at the end of the day, do give it a thorough going over to make sure it does work for you. If it doesn’t, get it back to the retailer within the return window and pick something else.

Clem
Hi Clem - How does this TV handle sports and motion in terms of Dirty Screen Effect, Screen uniformity and motion?

Clem

Thanks Clem, that’s very useful and fingers crossed it’s up to scratch.

I just upgraded my plasma to the 58" GX800 but for some reason it wont play sound through surround sound even though its panasonic SA-PT450 system , everything played well through older plasma now it wont, TV has ARC system hasn't so im thinking this is the problem , if i had known this i would have bought different TV,

Any help for this problem would be gratefully received, Thanks , ps, i am using HDMI connection leads , also red and white cables ,

Hi,

Looking to upgrade me tv, I currently own a Panasonic 50EX750 would the 50GX800 be an upgrade. There are a few things that I’ve never been happy with on my current tv.

@alex12cessnock: you have gone into the Sound menu and switched from internal speakers to home cinema, right?

Clem
Thank you for your reply Clem. Yes into settings changed to surround all sound goes dead so have to change it back to TV. It should have been HD I cables out old plasma New GX800 in place hdmi into connection with arc from dvd surround. Bt box into other hdmi. Tried switching them all over the place still won't play TV through surround. Panasonic to Panasonic surround through vierra link still nothing

So, if you put the plasma back, does ARC then work? If so, try reconnecting the 800, leave the sound bar powered-up and do a factory reset on the TV then try and set the option if the TV doesn’t detect it automatically.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom